cyradis4

Change male Silver lineage Tile

This has been bugging me, so a suggestion!

The male Silver's lineage tile pose makes him look really tiny, and he also seems out of focus:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/FhhQS

http://dragcave.net/lineage/BKYnb

Its really obvious if you zoom in on your browser. The Ice and Thunder are a tad blurry, but the Silver is very blurry.

I'd suggest making the Silver a bit bigger. That'll take out more of the tail and probably a bit of the back, but he should be less-blurry and look more proportional to what he used to be, against other dragons.

Cheers!

C4.

/support

Though this may be a technical issue with the extra shading. Imaging programs tend to average colors when reducing an image. Because he's got no abrupt breaks, it's getting softened even further when it gets averaged which means he gets blurry.

support smile.gif

The new silvers look good on their own, but they really seem to be from a different world when viewed in lineage. The smaller image loses a lot of details (the details that make the silver look good in larger images) and leaves the extra shiny thing, making the tile look like something made by photoshop emboss filter and a failed 3D image.

I know it is hard to make both large image and small tile look good at the same time. They have different requirements. The good large image does not always look good when it is small. Especially, for the small tile, artist has to consider if it matches others. I do hope that new silver can go well with other dragons as it used to because silvers are so popular.

It's likely because that sprite seems to be more resized than average. That's a result of the sprite being very tall but not wide.

Support. I think I generally like the new sprites, but agree that the lineage tile leaves something to be desired.

I just checked with an unfortunately resized screenshot of a silver lineage, and noticed that the sprites don't look nearly as different pose-wise as I had thought. *shrugs*

I definitely think this needs to happen. Other dragons have their tails and parts of them cut off in Lineage view; why can't the Silver male?

I didn't know there was a thread for this; thanks purplehaze!

I did a fast recrop in Paint. It it's still a little blurry, but I think it would be an improvement for existing lineages:

user posted image

I didn't know there was a thread for this; thanks purplehaze!

I did a fast recrop in Paint. It it's still a little blurry, but I think it would be an improvement for existing lineages:

user posted image

I like it quite a lot, I hope this gets accepted and changed in the game.

I fully support this idea, especially after seeing Gryphonic's recrop. I think it would solve a lot of the issues that people have with the lineages -- not all, but at least some of them.

yes please! i'd love to see a similar change for the female silver's lineage tile as well.

The female doesn't need it quite as much to me, but for equality's sake:

user posted image

Not as happy with the female crop. I wish I could center the head better, but I can't without cutting off her forelegs even more. Just face + hind legs would look odd.

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

I definitely support this. I do like the new sprites, but they seem so out of proportion to other dragons in lineage view that it throws off the entire view. By having the sprite tiles enlarged, I think it will make things look properly proportional again.

I like the idea, but if you do it for the male you should do the same for the female, otherwise they'll look strange together in PB lineages.

Since this is all about lineages, I thought it would be helpful to compare some lineages with the suggested changes as best I could.

Silver PB now / both updated

updated female only / updated male only

user posted imageuser posted image

Silver x skywing checker now / updated male

I used to hate silver lineages. I absolutely adore them now. I do not see this fuzziness that so many others are commenting on. The update does make them match other dragons more, but I do like them as is (it is hard to tell from my photos). I guess I have no preference. I do agree that if one is changed, the other needs changed as well.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I really like the new sprites. I was never a fan of the old males nor the hatchlings, however, I do really also like the proposed cropping. I do think they make lineages look better and probably would help unruffle some feathers. I can't put my finger on why I like it better, but I do. It also seems to fit better with the way we currently crop dragons. NO dragons are generally cropped in a way where the entire dragon appears in the crop. I understand they are more skinny vs wide... still like the readjusted crop better.

I won't cry if its not input, but I would give it my support. And this is totally for someone who likes the changes. I think it would also allow the shapes to retain close enough to the originals that it doesn't cut the distinction quite as much as the updated crop version.

You can see almost all of the Seragamma male and Lumina female. Striped females are 100% visible; Striped males just cut a bit of tail. Blusang females are just missing a tiny little tip of wing, and likewise with BBW females. Daydream females and Storm males are super tiny.

I'm not against the proposed crop, mind (I'm neutral), but just wanted to share a few similarly displayed dragons. tongue.gif

Edited by Tehya Faye

I think the lineage view looks beautiful and perfect as it is now and doesn't need any change. In fact what I really hope is that TJ keeps the same atitude that he had keeping so far about this new sprite, refusing to change anything that it was implemented.

I fully support this idea, especially after seeing Gryphonic's recrop. I think it would solve a lot of the issues that people have with the lineages -- not all, but at least some of them.

Yes indeed. I don't dislike the new sprite as much as some people, but existing lineages do look VERY odd.

Just for reference, here are the originals compared to the update:

user posted image

I personally am fine with the current crop. The only thing causing conflicts in existing lineages in my opinion is the updated shading, which a re-crop won't change. Please keep in mind that a change in the crop or size will also further change existing lineages, and may disturb people who are otherwise content to become accustom to the new shade.

Edited by 11th

user posted image

I personally am fine with the current crop. The only thing causing conflicts in existing lineages in my opinion is the updated shading, which a re-crop won't change. Please keep in mind that a change in the crop or size will also further change existing lineages, and may disturb people who are otherwise content to become accustom to the new shade.

This is what I came here to say. A good note is that the current crop is also faithful to the original and doesn't need much change, in my opinion. I don't quite understand the "blurriness" going on since it all looks as blurry as the other sprites do on lineages.

user posted image

This is what I came here to say. A good note is that the current crop is also faithful to the original and doesn't need much change, in my opinion. I don't quite understand the "blurriness" going on since it all looks as blurry as the other sprites do on lineages.

I agree with you two. The shading bothers me more than the crop... But I do think the new crop is better. If only one thing can be changed I'll vote for shading...

Edited by sene

I agree with you two. The shading bothers me more than the crop... But I do think the new crop is better. If only one thing can be changed I'll vote for shading...

I do not want to be confrontational but I strongly hope that the new shading will be left alone.

Yes, the new male silver tile does look unfocused/blurry. I'm really glad that some people's glasses are strong enough to make the tile image look sharp, but the rest of us see blur.

Fixes could include:

New Inking to make the lines stronger

New Shading, which might translate into stronger definition when the image is reduced

New Positioning in the tile, including a zoom-in

But more than anything, I'd like a simple Yes or No from TJ or LadyLyzar that this is something that will actually be worked on, rather than watch another round of "I like the silvers and I'm right", "I hate the silvers and I'm right" rage on for days on end. The same people feel the need to say the same things over and over again, restating his or her position to make sure other people know that his or her opinion is the one that should count the most. To be honest, when someone replies to a thread by responding to every post that doesn't agree with his or her opinion, it reads like bullying to me.

TJ has said in the past that he likes to let debates go on so he can see a full range of opinions and ideas, but we just closed a thread that talked about this, and many other issues, in minute detail. So, here, I think we just need an answer to the question - is this going to happen or not?

Edited by stardust13

Please note, I am not asking for a shading change. The Silver update was much needed and shading is an important part of that. It does undeniably conflict with older, flatter sprites, but over time as they're updated or replaced the problem should work itself out. Regarding the perceived blurriness, however, I may have a solution. I was going to hold off on posting this until I heard from LadyLyzar for permission, but for now I'll just go with my backup plan and use male Magelights. (If I misread the permissions list feel free to yell at me, Marrionetta. :x )

user posted image

The first is the current, the second is resized with basic Bicubic, and the third is with Bicubic Sharper. The second is almost the same as the current, though a pinch sharper. The third is notably clearer, however. Granted, it might be a tad difficult to see the difference with Magelights due to their pastel coloration, but with the Silvers' new contrast it should make a more noticeable difference.