zaverxi

Holiday dragon names in Encyclopedia

So in the encyclopedia, Valentines(except for the first one) and Halloweens are each named what their species is. However, the Christmas(or Holiday for PCness) are each listed as 'Holiday 2007' to 'Holiday 2014'.

There aren't specific blurbs about them in their description either, just a generic 'holiday' message.

'Holiday dragons are a very mysterious breed. They are only seen during winter, and even then it is hard to catch a glimpse of one. They are responsible for the general cheer that spreads during the holidays. In essence, they are the “Spirits of Winter.”'

We all know what they are, they do have specific names for each one.

(2007) Holly

(2008) Yulebuck

(2009) Snow Angel

(2010) Ribbon Dancer

(2011) Winter Magi

(2012) Wrapping Wing

(2013) Solstice

(2014) Mistletoe

I know it might be difficult to get the original creators to write up the adult description blurb since they might not be willing/be around anymore, but it should be very easy to at least just change the breed name in the encyclopedia.

It'd make it a lot easier to remember which one's which.

I support this idea! The descriptions might not change, but I was wondering if there was a reason they never had individual ones in the first place? The bit about them being spirits of winter could go above. Likewise for Halloweens, why do they lack the bit above the dragon information seen with all other descriptions? And even if the artists aren't around to write descriptions, TJ or another user could probably whip up something that fits with the artist's original idea.

Edited by Niyaka

Support! This could be very useful. Especially now since we have Heartseekers and Heartstealers running around as well.

So make the 'unofficial' names official.. seems like an easy fix to me.

Whatever the intention was to start with is either no longer applicable or no longer matters, so each of the Winter Holiday dragons should get their own name.

You don't want them to get a 'complex' do you? tongue.gif

Whatever the intention was to start with is either no longer applicable or no longer matters, so each of the Winter Holiday dragons should get their own name.

You don't want them to get a 'complex' do you?  tongue.gif

this

People use those names just as if they were official anyway.

Edited by VixenDra

If someone were to say to me "Do you have a 3rd gen checker lineage with the 2010 holiday dragon in it?" I would have no idea which dragon that is off the top of my head. No one really calls them that. Their individual names may be "unofficial" but they are universally accepted as the breed name for those dragons! So why not make them official??????????

Agreed. Nobody uses the official names; everybody uses the unofficial names enough that they might as well be official. (For what it's worth, I actually suspect TJ wanted to leave this option open or he would've closed the topic on the spot.)

Agreed. Nobody uses the official names; everybody uses the unofficial names enough that they might as well be official. (For what it's worth, I actually suspect TJ wanted to leave this option open or he would've closed the topic on the spot.)

Numbers and dates are much more problematic to remember&associate than words for majority of population I believe.

Nearly everyone who played for a while would rather recall what a Ribbon Dancer is rather than when it was released xd.png

Let's hope so then.

(edit:

If someone were to say to me "Do you have a 3rd gen checker lineage with the 2010 holiday dragon in it?" I would have no idea which dragon that is off the top of my head. No one really calls them that. Their individual names may be "unofficial" but they are universally accepted as the breed name for those dragons! So why not make them official??????????

exactyl what I was writing xd.png)

Edited by VixenDra

I have absolutely no preference either way. I know the past holiday dragons well enough that I don't need their names onsite, but it doesn't really affect me whether the names are made official or not. I don't really think that it's necessary that adult descriptions be written for individual past winter holiday dragons though.

I have absolutely no preference either way. I know the past holiday dragons well enough that I don't need their names onsite, but it doesn't really affect me whether the names are made official or not. I don't really think that it's necessary that adult descriptions be written for individual past winter holiday dragons though.

Yeah it really isn't necessary unless the artists/conceptors wanted to, although with the addition of the encyclopedia in recent years it seems like we're headed towards 'more detail' anyway.

But yeah, it would be very useful and appropriate if they're given the names they have 'unofficially'.

Solstice is so much nicer than 'Holiday 2013' after all. Calling a dragon species 'Holiday 2013' sounds pretty.... impersonal. Kinda like 'Experiment 626' who we all know and love under a different, better name, which is Stitch... as in Lilo and Stitch. Did anyone recognize Experiment 626 when I typed it out? Probably not, but Stitch, yes.

I'm with you, Odeen. I can't remember which are which - but when one is trading, who on EARTH has ever traded a "Holiday 2010 x gold checker" anyway ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

I wonder what the reason in the beginning was, the reason to *not* have official names? Is it a reason that still stands today?

According to the wiki, past Holiday dragons have been given their "unofficial" names by the spriters themselves. PieMaster calls them Mistletoes. Aangs-sister calls them Wrapping-Wing. LadyLyzar calls them Ribbon Dancers. So why *not* have those be their official names?

I'd be for reverting (pro-verting? evolving? lol) and giving them official names so they can be changed in the encyclopedia. =p

I'd also support making the name official. Heck, I never realized the names were unofficial.

On the matter of changing the adult description, I'm neutral.

Did anyone recognize Experiment 626 when I typed it out? Probably not, but Stitch, yes.

Yeah, I did. (Where's a nerd emoticon if you need one?) But I really had to count through the various holidays to get "Winter Holiday 2010", which would have to be Ribbon Dancers - if my memory isn't too faulty.

The thing is that the special breed names for winter holiday dragons might not be canon, but they've become fanon, everyone uses them instead of the official name - which isn't that much of a name to begin with. I don't see any reason to keep it that way, but enough reason to change it.

I'd also like to add the Val '09 to that list of breeds in need of a "real" name. Just - don't let it be "Thunderthighs", which is what I think the artist stated she called them in private. smile.gif

I've always thought the name for Val 09 was St George?

(And I would like all the dragons to have their 'sorting name' in the encyclopedia, it took me forever to figure out gold wyverns sort under gwyvern! That sort of thing is not exactly intuitive when trying to find something on a scroll)

Edited by Tawanda001

I've always thought the name for Val 09 was St George?

Never heard that.

I am so used to calling them Val '09 that they really don't need another name for me. The other Valentine dragons all have their unique names so there is no room for confusion.

But the Christmas dragons? Maybe in the beginning when there were only two or three of them that was okay, but now it is just too confusing to remember which year is which dragon! They need their "unofficial" names to become official.

I've always thought the name for Val 09 was  St George?

So did I - and it always seemed weird, as it's a GERRUL ! But the wiki has it as Valentine - the only one by that name. It says Marri dubbed it St Valentine as a nod to St George.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I support just adding on an additional note of what the "unofficial name" is to the Encyclopedia, as well as on the Dragon's page - so that new players can easily see that Holiday 2007 is the same as Holly.

Doesn't have to be major it can simply be an added line of text stating the unofficial name:

Holiday Dragon (2007) - Holly Dragon

Holiday Dragon (2008) - Yulebuck

Or even reverse it so it becomes:

Snow Angel (Holiday 2009)

The Halloween Dragons, as well as the Valentine's Day Dragons all have official names, so why not just update the Holiday ones to have their unofficial name become official?

I don't care one way or another on updating the descriptions - but at least, give them names so that new (and some older) players can know what is what

Edited by ShorahNagi

I'd like this. Once, I thought the Winter Magi was the 2012 holiday and got hyped when it said that the Holiday 2012 dragon got encyclopedia info. Pretty embarrassing to figure out...

Even if they're unofficial names, why can't they become official? I have a feeling that this is one of those "there's more to it than that, Esko" things, but it just sounds simple.

The suggestion from ShorahNagi to have both names the official with Holiday (year) and the 'unofficial' name at the same time has my fullhearted support.

There are too many Holiday Dragon breeds out there to remember them by year a lot of the names are describing the sprite (for example Mistletoes and Wrapping Wings in my eyes).

Edited by Tigerkralle

The names are unofficial. Aren't the Halloween and Valentine's names also unofficial? Yet they are listed not as Halloweenyear and valentineyear in the encyclopedia. Why change the listing for 2 out of 3 holidays and not the third?

The names are unofficial. Aren't the Halloween and Valentine's names also unofficial?

If you click on the view page of a VDay or Halloween, they have a unique description with a breed name listed. Christmas dragons do not, hence the "unofficial".

The suggestion to name them Holly (Holiday 2007) is even better, because it still tells people when they were released (if it even matters that much to people) but also gives their name.

And even if the artists don't want to write a blurb, if they'd be willing to give permission to others we could have a 'contest' for the chance to add one. smile.gif Maybe be a voting thing like we had for Christmas tree decorating that one year, except have people submit them anonymously. Like, send them to a mod who then posts all of them and stuff.

That could be a mini Holiday event, even. And since it'd be anonymous there wouldn't be any favoritism with people voting for something because it was submitted by this or that person.

Of course this would only happen if the artists gave permission. It might not work for those made by people who aren't around anymore, although I suppose hollies could keep what we have now as theirs since we don't know much about them otherwise.

We'd just need to know basic info about them, but that can be found on the wikia except for Hollies, Yulebucks and Snow Angels.