Sinclair

Ability to swap an unbred dragon's gender somehow

so i'm a code collector, that's my main reason for playing DC, and recently i've had a number of gender-crucial hatchlings gender incorrectly - extremely frustrating as of course i can't just go get another egg with the same code

i know, i know, "just influence them beforehand or have somebody do it for you in the thread!" - i do have my own pinks but you know the cooldown is an entire week and as codes are one-of-a-kind, gotta grab em that second, i can't afford the space to be raising "utility" dragons (unfortunately! i'd love to have more pinks and some reds around lol) (as well as the fact that i have a crushing anxiety disorder and majorly put off making contact with people on here until the last second if at all, and i feel like i'm imposing - all my own issues i know and of course i would give a limb to be rid of them for more reasons than a game website but it's not a simple process aha) + dragons that have already hatched and exist, there is nothing to do about those

my idea is that the ability to swap an unbred (and of course gender-able) dragon's gender could be implemented as a "premium" feature - that is, toss a tad bit of real money to the site for each swap, via paypal etc

it could be coded as a spell or potion that you purchase, and if using paypal to buy this item is too direct a connection for the lore, then coins/gold or something could be purchased using paypal and then you spend those coins on the items

i don't know the status of DC as a site's relationship to hosting bills and if those involved would like to make, or are, making any kind of profit but certainly this would be a relatively popular feature, i'd think?

of course there would be pretty heavy restrictions to prevent abuse, like i said dragon must be unbred, only once per dragon, and the feature can only be used once a week/month/whatever

thank you for reading/considering!!

I'm afraid that there are no paid feature in DC. With the only exception of removing ads.

Edited by SullenCat

I don't like any paid perks. I also don't particularly support being able to switch adults gender - how? maybe mana, I guess? - but I appreciate that this would be restricted to dragons with no kids.

This seems like an odd thing that someone would pay for. I understand that you have social anxiety, but there is a thread that you can post in for a gender swap if needed--no cash necessary. Simply put a note that you don't want PMs if you don't want to interact with users.

(Or if you ever really need it, shoot me a PM sometime and I can breed pinks and reds for you.)

Edited by Jazeki

No paid perks.

In regards to adding it in another way, I know that there are some painful misgenders even with influence sometimes, but... iunno, changing adult gender with magic sounds kinda... implausibly convenient, if that's a thing?

Does it seem strange to you that you're hearing more opposition to the idea of paid perks than the gender switching idea? A lot of people here really appreciate the fact that there is no paid perks here on DC. Frankly, a lot of us oppose the idea of this becoming a "for pay" type site. Even if only one feature is available for real bucks it still crosses that line.

As for the gender switching, I'm not really opposed, but I think it's fraught with complications.

This seems like an odd thing that someone would pay for. I understand that you have social anxiety, but there is a thread that you can post in for a gender swap if needed--no cash necessary. Simply put a note that you don't want PMs if you don't want to interact with users.

(Or if you ever really need it, shoot me a PM sometime and I can breed pinks and reds for you.)

thank you for the offer! very kind

what i was going for though is that these dragons are already grown, and have codes spelling something out, a name or word etc - so even as hatchlings, a hatchling swap wouldn't do any good as i'd lose that code

@ everybody who's replied - thank you for your thoughts, all i want is just a way to swap the genders of some of my adults who have codes that are like, say, "betsy", so it's rather irritating to see them gender male and then have to live with that and look at it, or even just the word not being gender-specific but a certain genders' sprite matching the word better

if no paid features, then something else? idk something to do with the forums, or a "random event" granting you one or something, you grab an egg and turns out it had a potion or spell scroll behind it, this would be very tedious but i'll take anything

i'm sorry if this was a dumb idea or anything

i know I have dragons that I never bred, and never will because they gendered wrong. I have no objection to the gender swap, but I thought there was a statement from TJ some years ago that the site would never use money for any game feature upgrades. The only exception was the ad removal option, and that has nothing to do with gameplay.

No paid perks!

But... Maybe you could find a dragon for a BSA where a gender-swap when a hatchling could work. I'm not opposed to gender swapping, but I think waiting till they are adult is.... Not a good idea.

Cheers!

C4.

Not a dumb idea at all. It has been brought up before and some of us actually kinda like the idea of a one time only per each adult dragon, but somehow the idea never really seems to get rolling with enough support behind it.

(gender switching that is, just to clarify)

Edited by Tawanda001

It's not a dumb idea. The paid perks thing is something other websites have done, so if you haven't been around on DC forums enough to know how rabid people can get over the idea it's not surprising a person would think of that.

And the gender switching with a potion is not that far off other ideas we've had over the years for stuff. We've never been able to get any of the ideas worked out in a way that TJ was willing to implement I guess.

One idea for collecting stuff which could include various potions was the Search feature, which would have your dragons going out with a random chance to bring back something, and Hoard, which would add all their loots to a cache which could include usable items. It got a certain amount of support, but some opposition too. So the idea never went anywhere.

There's also an idea for a "store" floating around. You could "purchase" dragon eggs with some sort of ingame currency (something not purchasable with real money - just an ingame currency) Potions could fit in that scenario too.

No absolutely not. I refuse to have any paid add ons for this site. It's not fair to a lot of players who don't have the money or can't spare the money. I will never support something like this.

I'm totally against anything that requires real money.

As for gender swapping, I'm totally for it, 110%. I don't collect codes but I do lineage projects where gender can/could be critical. I don't care if it's for hatchlings or adults, primarily because I'm also one of the players that supports adult trading.

Players have been asking for gender swapping forever.. Influence helped a lot in reducing the clamor, but Influence is NOT 100% foolproof. Which makes a gender swapping mechanism even more important.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

Players have been asking for gender swapping forever.. Influence helped a lot in reducing the clamor, but Influence is NOT 100% foolproof. Which makes a gender swapping mechanism even more important.

Might not be a bad thing if Influence had a 100% success rate. I would support a gender-swap BSA since it seems like Influence fails always hit something critical, but if support for that is lacking it might be acceptable to have a perfect Influence instead?

I casually don't support paid features - I don't think this particular thing as a paid feature would be strictly an issue, since most of us just use regular Influence, but in general I'm opposed to the concept of "pay-to-win".

@OP, seconding the offer to Influence stuff for you if you need it. I don't exactly have a huge Pink army available right now, but I'm willing to share what I do have. No real interaction required either, you can just toss me a teleport with a gender preference and I'll Influence it if I have a free scroll-slot and a free Pink. 's all good.

Does it seem strange to you that you're hearing more opposition to the idea of paid perks than the gender switching idea? A lot of people here really appreciate the fact that there is no paid perks here on DC. Frankly, a lot of us oppose the idea of this becoming a "for pay" type site. Even if only one feature is available for real bucks it still crosses that line.

As for the gender switching, I'm not really opposed, but I think it's fraught with complications.

This. NOTHING paid for that affects the game, thanks.

But LOADS of people will gender for you for free. No-one can SEE you on forum, so the anxiety thing should be manageable (I am not belittling it, but - well, I have deeply anxious friends and relatives (not just normally anxious; I do know what you are going through) and they find internet contact bearable if tough.

I'm not too happy with gender swapping, either - but via a BSA would be the way to go. (Maybe turps or brimstones ? "X attacks your dragon. The smell is so awful all the chromosomes got confused...". xd.png)

A large part of DC's appeal and popularity, is the lack of pay-for features. So I say no, based on that alone.

But also enjoyable is the anticipation of gender, and if it genders wrong, well there are many options to fix that, again, all free. If everything came to you without working for it, it wouldn't be half the fun, now would it?? Especially when you aren't paying for the privilege!!

Sorry, but no.

I do understand about social anxieties, more than you know. But know that the people who are offering in the thread to gender your dragons for you, are doing it cause they really enjoy helping, and it is not any kind of imposition to them. Please, do ask them, and make their day and yours. smile.gif

Edited by Riverwillows

Personally, I'd prefer if Influence had no chance to fail.

If you need pinks or reds, though, feel free to PM me. smile.gif *points at green line signature*

Edited by olympe

I agree, I don't see the point in having it fail

Or, have another dragon have influence, that has no chance of failure... But has a longer cooldown.

Cheers!

C4.

Sorry, but I must give this a big, resounding NO.

1. Absolutely NO gameplay-affecting pay perks should be in this game. Not now, not ever.

2. The idea itself, paid or not, contains way too much squick for my fragile mind.

No features that involve real money. No way.

About the suggestion itself: I'm not really opposed, but it'd need a really good explanation why and how it works.

No features that involve real money. No way.

About the suggestion itself: I'm not really opposed, but it'd need a really good explanation why and how it works.

This. If we are going to, somehow, be able to change a dragon's gender, I'd like to know just how that's going to work. Something logical that doesn't just boil down to "that's magic".