bluesonic1

Undead Dragons

Do people feel that Undead dragons are best described as "hard to obtain"/Rare or could be classified as a Holiday dragon because they're only obtainable during a Holiday period, even if they never received an official Holiday release? Please discuss your choice and reason(s) for your choice as I'd love to gather opinions on this topic smile.gif

I think they kinda got their own rarity. They are somewhat like the holiday dragons but since you cannot breed or trade them they might be considered rarer. However on the same hand everyone has the same chances to get them and everyone will get them one time since it pretty much just depends on luck.

Undead dragons are user controlled, so they don't really have a rarity to speak of. They aren't holiday dragons, holiday dragons are specifically referring to the cave dropped breed.

For wiki purposes Rarity: N/A would suffice.

Edited by Ashywolf

Undead dragons are user controlled, so they don't really have a rarity to speak of. They aren't holiday dragons, holiday dragons are specifically referring to the cave dropped breed.

For wiki purposes Rarity: N/A would suffice.

A rarity level can still be considered because even though they are created only on Halloween, there is a chance the creation process can fail (different success ratios have been rumoured). This differs to trying to breed Holiday dragons during their specific holiday period, which will always yield a multiclutch of said Holiday dragon.

Likewise, there are 2 definitions to a Holiday dragon. One is yes, that they have special conditions to their release, but the main definition being that they are only available during certain special holiday periods, which is a definition that also fits the Undead dragon. This in mind, Vampire dragons only fit half the description of a Holiday dragon too as they are available all year round despite their special release.

In essence, the Undead dragon fits both a Rare description and Holiday dragon description, which is why I ask what people think is more appropriate despite both being fitting.

Another thing to note is when the Undead changed from being available all year round to being available on just Halloween. I don't know the exact date when this change occurred, but if it occurred before the release of Vampire dragons, they could be considered the first Halloween dragon species, considering the change was made knowingly before Holiday releases were a thing, or perhaps inspired by other Holiday releases e.g. the Holly dragon.

Edited by bluesonic1

That is something for you and the admins to decide.

I personally wouldn't have an all-inclusive "Holiday" category in that way. Holiday cave dragons are extremely abundant during their release, but that release is limited ("Holiday" category). Undead dragons are a more random if you are lucky it works, and have no ties to ratios as other breeding/cave/etc. dragons do. Yes they can only be "made" during a Holiday, but the way they function is completely different and I find them to be a unique case.

I dunno if you need a category name for a unique state-of-dragon determined not by breed but by a 'semi-failed' revival of a dead dragon contingent on very specific circumstances?

Personally, I'd think that Undead/Zombie would continue to cover it nicely... unsure.gif

@Ashywolf: Wikis are a community project, hence why I'd like to get the community discussing this interesting case smile.gif I value your point of view in highlighting that Holiday dragons are all released in a specific manner as well as only being available during a specific holiday period.

My counter to that is that the Holiday category is more flexible than that thanks to the Vampire dragon, who isn't released in that same manner as other Holiday dragons are. But then it can be argued that at least their initial release did follow this pattern and the Undead's didn't.

@Syphoneira: It's not so much a category name, but debating the dragon's rarity status. From that, Holidays have their own rarity status because of their unique situation (though are also still listed as rare). Undead/Zombie is the name of the dragon, not it's rarity status.

Vampires shouldn't be considered either like a Zombie or like a 'normal' Holiday dragon, though, since they are 'bred' so differently from other dragons. They're the only dragon to create others of their kind by biting an egg rather than breeding; I would personally put them in their own category, aside from the other Holiday dragons. They, like the Zombies, are kind of a unique case.

That being said I think I'd actually put Zombies as 'rare' because they can usually only be gotten during Halloween and how hard it is to get just one during that time. Yes, it's statistically likely everyone will get one if they try, but it's really hard. I've only gotten one in the two or three years I've tried, and it's really easy to catch other holiday eggs during their holiday, and Vampires are pretty easy to get year-round.

Edited by silver_chan

@Bluesonic but it is up to the commandeering forces of the wikia to decide what is overall best for the wikia. Sometimes that might not be what the majority wants.

Vampires were fine as Holiday dragons because they did drop in the cave in the past. Like other Holiday dragons, they drop during their event for that year only.

Of course they also have other means of obtaining, through BSAs. So I'd say yes it is a Holiday dragon. But it is something else as well, Holiday doesn't completely cover it.

Undead dragons by contrast share nothing with other Holiday dragons except they are more-or-less restricted to a certain time of the year. They have no cave drops which is one of the main points for Holiday dragons (in my opinion). Unlike cave drops it is random whether you get one, it isn't guaranteed through the eggs. They also require preparation before the holiday itself in order to have a chance at obtaining them.

Edited by Ashywolf

Yes, that's what I meant about Vampires being in their own unique category. They're unlike any other dragon we have, though I agree they still count as a Holiday dragon. I just said they shouldn't really be compared to 'normal' Holiday dragons that can only breed during certain parts of the year, because the way they procreate is so different.

And Zombies are similar, though they are again different because you can only really get them during Halloween, though you can technically try for one at any time of the year by killing a dragon.

My personal estimation = rare. First of all, they are only obtainable during Halloween, and even then the odds that they will turn into zombies are not so optimistic. I will never try to obtain an undead, and I never have, but I've seen the outcomes of many people who have.

I think they should be classified like the neglecteds are on the wiki (and maybe put in the same category), since they also must be created and there is a high failure rate. They also cannot be traded, so I don't think that they can go under the holiday category even though they are only really created on Halloween. They are a special dragon type.