Jen-Kollic

Stitching the Solstice Dragon - COMPLETE

As I enjoy cross-stitch and pixel art converts to it really well, I am going to be making a cross-stitch version of my most favourite dragon on the entire site: the Solstice Dragon. Odeen has very kindly granted me permission to use her art in this way and I hope she will like the final result. I'm trying to keep the colours as accurate as possible, though there may be some slight variations depending on thread availability.

I'm using 16-count rosewood Aida as a base and a large assortment of DMC embroidery threads as seen below - though upon review I need some more shades of blue and blue-gray. More photos will be provided as I make more progress, for now the only stitches on the canvas are the 'eye' of the dragon which I'm using as a reference point.

user posted image

This could take some time, but I get to use glow in the dark AND metallic threads for this project!

Edited by Jen-Kollic

If you manage to pull this off, I'll be seriously impressed. I see a lot of stitch works online so it should look very cool when its done!

Update #1:

user posted image

Not a lot of progress, but you can see the head starting to emerge. I'll be doing the horns and whiskers last as I'm going to be using metallic threads for those and metallic threads are a pain in the butt.

Looks like its going well! I know I wouldn't have the patience to do something like this xd.png

Whoa, that looks amazing! I really want to see how it turns out <3

As a crossstitcher myself I shall be following the progress of this piece. I am not sure I could translate the pixel colors into floss shades like that. Looking good so far!

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm hoping to get some more work done on this tonight. I'm especially glad you like it Odeen, since it's your wonderful art I'm using as a pattern.

Purplehaze - I'm fortunate in that I live next to a fabric store that stocks the entire DMC range, it's a lot easier matching floss colours when you're able to look at the picture and match it to threads in the store. The original batch were bought online, which is why I was short on blues. I've still had to mix colours in places though, (two threads of one colour, one of another) but as long as the shades are similar that seems to work okay.

Oh my goodness, this is turning out lovely! I have no where near enough patience for cross-stitching so you've got my admiration for sure. ^^ can't wait to see the finished piece!

You have to have a better eye for color than I do to get it right, but you are spot on so far!

I have done some pieces that have the blended floss (one thread each of two different colors) and they are beautiful. It allows for almost endless color possibilities, although they are a bit harder to stitch.

Nice idea! this is looking so cool, keep up the good work! =D I've never tried cross-stitching myself, actually. but you're really good at it, I can see.

The wings are starting to take shape:

user posted image

It might not look like it, but there are five different shades of purple in the wings so far.

Oh my, that's wonderful! Keep up the great work!

Edited by Niyaka

As someone who used to cross-stitch a lot, I'm rooting for you! biggrin.gif

(Personally I've never really done any custom projects but you're making me want to try… eventually!)

It might not look like it, but there are five different shades of purple in the wings so far.

Yeah sorry about that x_x

Yeah sorry about that x_x

Don't be, the colours in the wings are one of the reasons I love the Solstice Dragon so much! I just hope the transitions look okay on the finished stitched version.

o: I've only done needlepoints so far because the guesswork involved in cross-stitching would drive me mad, but I have to say, that is gorgeous!! I'm with Mage on this one-it makes me want to stitch some dragons!

I'm following this; too awesome to ignore. tongue.gif