Coryn02

The Death Game - OOC

This is not the IC, or "in-context" topic for The Death Game. This is the OOC, or "out of context" topic where the roleplayers discuss elements of the roleplay the characters aren't aware of.

I have the IC linked here. Thank you.

As the roleplay progresses, I plan to add here various topics of interest concerning The Death Game, including where the characters are, what they are doing, and what plot elements we have planned or used, among other things. But as we currently stand, we only have about five people interested in the roleplay, and little to no plot elements planned.

Nydedri

At the time our roleplay begins, Nyededri is the leader of a medium-sized guild called "Lily's Thorns" (named for her daughter). Her real-life husband, Ybyl, is her second in-command. While she does most of her partying with her guild-mates (Ybyl mostly), she will also party up with some outsiders and members of allied guilds. Mirage is among those who party with her relatively frequently, though she is still considering membership.

Mirage

As mentioned before, Mirage went out to hunt basically non-stop after she got her courage up. She is among those players who party often with the guild Lily's Thorns but is not a member. Mirage usually lives off the Cor she gets from hunting, staying away from towns and cities if she can help it. At this point she has been honing her skills so much she might join a guild soon, especially since she gets more lonely by the day. Mirage and Nydedri are on good terms, but Mirage tends to shy away from groups and only parties when she can avoid attention. Aster is a positive influence but she doesn't want to be in the limelight. Naudleigh and Amanda are nice enough, but Aiurdae's tendency to cause trouble might make her act even more shyly than usual.

Aster

Aster has been acting rather like Mirage, with the exception that he spends a lot more time partying with others and in towns. He doesn't get along very well with Nydedri, however. He is often confused when she acts so cold to others, while she gets annoyed at his constant optimism. Aster gets along pretty well with everyone else, though Aiurdae could probably rub him the wrong way.

Naudleigh

Naudleigh is another acquaintance of Nydedri's surprisingly large friend group. They plan to go on a quest as a group sometime in the future. He treats Aster like a brother and helps Mirage act more outgoing in a group. He is on good terms with Aiurdae but tries to restrain his impulsive behavior. He also gets along well with Amanda, teasing the latter playfully but not overly so.

Amanda

Amanda has been passing the time with duels, battling anyone and everyone who will challenge her. She doesn't really do well around people in general due to her insecurities, but is more than willing to help the others in their goal to clear the game. She doesn't really know anyone yet, and fears judgement.

Bosses (for future use)

A 5-meter tall Giant King is the first floor boss. He will wield a 4.5 meter greatsword that is 0.4 meters in thickness.

Among the other bosses we have planned are a living tree (and accompanying squirrel lackeys), a venomous viper, a dungeon-master, That Special End Boss, and any variety of other bosses we may add. (Accepting suggestions)

Floor Themes (for future use)

We have the following established as future themes: Tropical jungle, floating islands, deep seas, deserts, mountainous islands (possibly Greek theme), and any future suggestions.

The desert level will probably appear later on. It will feature a hot climate that will dehydrate players faster, major city similar in many aspects to Cairo, a labyrinth similar to a pharaoh's tomb with matching mummy king boss, oases populated by dangerous monsters (meaning you have to fight to get water), and perhaps a unique quest (one based around the stories of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp and the Fountain of Fair Fortune).

Item quests

Item quests are adventures the characters can go on to potentially acquire powerful items. Understandably it won't happen all the time, Changed: There will be only one item quest and only one item for each character, so choose wisely! they use a lot of resources for potential failure. The way it will work is that the quest will involve some man er of wish granting, though it only grants wishes for one person. The loot or other spoils the players find on the way to the fountain is so great they don't even need the fountain at the end (except for one person, who will bathe in the fountain and get what they want). So far, the only item that might appear is the quarterstaff Overgrow, as a reward for Mirage.

Future events

The tribesmen. You know why Akihiko Kayaba told everyone to clear the game within the year? These guys are the reason. They are intelligent NPCs that act in a way more typical of players than monsters. They are intelligent, they bear ranged weapons (bows, crossbows, boomerangs, blowguns, and your usual weaponry), and their only goal is to impede player progress. Their appearance coincides with the clearing of the Quetzalcoatl boss in the jungle floor. It is also at this point that cities are no longer safe and indestructible, and they begin to raid players. They have no compunctions about taking a life, and anyone willing to help them are captured, bound, and transformed into one of their own.

Edited by Coryn02

I have finished approving everyone's character sheets! As of now we have roughly five or six different characters (I don't remember exactly how many), and they are all posted in the IC topic for your viewing.

This also marks the beginning of the plans we will make before we start the roleplay- and I'm afraid they will be quite extensive.

It's still not too late to submit a form if you want to join from the start, or join after the RP kicks off, or watch awkwardly from the sidelines. Whatever you want to do for the RP, let's get it done!

My sheet isn't up yet, but I sent you the final revision in a PM.

I had the feeling I forgot one, sorry about that! I'll get around to revising it right now.

I guess I'll start some discussion. :3

Anyways, I know it's planned to start the RP a week into the game. Coryn and I have figured that we'll start Mirage and Nydedri hunting as introductions. It's also debated that we might roll with some kind of mutual respect between our characters as fellow spear/polearm/halberd users.

Similarly, Nydedri and Aster were decided to be rivals after first impressions went wrong.

Anyone else want to have some kind of pre-established relationship between Nydedri and their character? It can be something that was developed within the first week or before the game launched.

Okay, so I have decided to create a Chatzy thread to make discussion that much easier. I will be sending the link to everyone in a PM so that we don't get random people spamming it.

I do most of my Chatzy activities at night, though, so don't expect an immediate update on the forums.

EDIT: The PMs should have been sent now, let me know if I forgot you.

Edited by Coryn02

Aster's basically been partying with different people, taking group quests, and so on. Like Narvix said, at some point Aster and Nydedri partied together and didn't get along very well. Anyone else should let me know if they want their character and Aster to have met before the start. At the beginning of the RP he'll probably be in a tavern or something after leaving his last party, where he could meet up with a few other characters. This could be changed, if there's somewhere more convenient where he could start.

Good news everyone! Our organized meeting at 9:00 EST was a success. We have determined that our characters will be meeting at a tavern in town to form a party to scout out the floor's recently discovered labyrinth to find the boss room.

We also have a pretty good idea of what our floor boss will be, and how the characters see one another.

If there is anything you wanted to suggest or add to the RP, you may do so at any time in the OOC or in the Chatzy. I regularly check both.

I added in a bit of information about future plots I haven't shared yet. I decided that if we are going to work it all out, that I should be totally open about it.

I do also need to figure out what to type about Amanda, so maybe if I could have some words with you about that, Mak?

Let's please welcome Marcus Phoenix and his character Lance, a young man with a troubled past.

He has been provided with the Chatzy link, and as such I am calling a general meeting this evening, at the general hour of 11:30 PM. If you are unable to attend, we can instead hold the discussion here.

This is awkward, I may not be able to attend the meeting as I'm going out for lunch (assuming you're using EST that would equate to 1:30pm for me, Australia tongue.gif ). But I'll try make it, hopefully I'll be home at 12(EST) if any of you are still lingering around.

This is awkward, I may not be able to attend the meeting as I'm going out for lunch (assuming you're using EST that would equate to 1:30pm for me, Australia tongue.gif ). But I'll try make it, hopefully I'll be home at 12(EST) if any of you are still lingering around.

Usually I show up at 9:30, but I wasn't sure how many people were able to show up right at that time. If anything, we should just wait for the others or do our planning OOC style.

At the request of a few of you, heres my form for reading before Coryn officially puts it up in the IC

Username: Marcus Pheonix

In-game name: DM. Lance

Name: Ken Lane

Sex: Male

Appearance : Lance is reasonably tall at 6.2ft and is quite thin. He has black hair that is reasonabally short on the left and back of his head falling just on his collar at the back and just loosely hanging over his ear on the left. He has orange highlights from about half of the hair length to the tips. The right side of his hair is very low, giving him a considerable emo fringe, hanging down to his chin and covering most of that side of his face. This is due to the horrific burns on that side of his body going from just above his right eye all the way down to his foot, occasionally spreading a little further towards the centre of his back and front at some points. He is still in possession of his right eye but wears an eyepatch to help cover the scars. With that exception he could be called handsome having a mature, chiselled look about him making him appear older than he is, he is clean shaven. His one eye is green and quite large, somewhat detracting from the mature look of his facial features. He wears thin leather armour, consisting of an ocean green sleeveless plate covering his chest and stomach, under it he has a black long sleeved shirt, with the left sleeve cut off. He also has a single shoulder plate on his right arm and a dark brown half cape and cowl that reaches halfway down his back. Underneath his right sleeve the burn marks are even more noticeable, until the reach half way down his upper arm where they stop abruptly, as if a knife has perfectly severed through them. He wears thin black pants, made of a material designed for ease of movement, his clothes wouldn’t be unfit of a thief or rogue character.

Personality : Lance is a nice person and when talking to people he always looks past appearances due to his own circumstances. However, he is quite shy and fairly reclusive due to his own appearance. When broken down he is a kind and friendly person who tries to have people notice him for his skills in game than his appearance. During personal moments of crisis he can be very calm and understanding due to his past experiences and contact with nurses and varying counsellors, providing a good shoulder to lean on. Above all things in the death game he dislikes it would be that everyone looks how they do in real life. He knows what it’s like to experience pain and loss and as such is less impacted by the death game than most. He is also confident in his abilities as a fighter, which adds to his lack of worry. As he’s frequently trying to improve his skills in his spare time in the death game he hunts for meats to sell to the markets and on creating skills with the recorder, he has yet to make any but he has ideas of what he wants. When it comes to peer interaction, he is gullible and generally suffers from severe peer pressure as he’s constantly trying to prove himself – he would willingly hold off a pack of mobs by himself if a ‘friend’ or someone he thought was a friend told him to, in those sense it makes him quite good at teamwork as he doesn’t argue but in other cases it makes him a doormat.

History : Ken had a mostly normal childhood, he went to school and hung out with friends, he also enjoyed playing cricket and many of his peers and family figured that he would grow to be a top notch fast bowler. Until he was 13 and an unchecked gas pump caused his house to burn down. During the evacuation the structural supports of the building collapsed and a burning piece of ceiling fell down onto Ken pinning him and burning his skin severely. Said piece of debris was also the factor that kept his father, who had been keeping him and Ken’s mother at the front, from escaping resulting in his death. Ken was pulled out and taken to hospital where his arm was amputated, culminating in a loss of an arm, and a father. Since then Ken and his mother have lived with her sister, Ken’s uncle and aunt, who provide Ken and his mother with a granny flat to live. Due to his horrific scarring he was frequently shunned and disgusted those around him, though some kids would say his eyepatch was cool. Ken sought solitude by playing online games where appearance wasn’t a factor, and he’d become quite good at playing a game one handed. He still frequented the hospital for checks on both his physical and mental health. Upon the announcement of the nerve gear and what it could do, his doctors had Ken test it and to his disbelief he found that the system would successfully render and produce an arm for him, acting as a physical substitute for the ‘ghost arm’ feeling. When the SAO beta test was announced the doctors managed to secure a spot for Ken as they were fond of the child and saw it as a way for him to experience life as a normal person, having full range of motion, no inhibiting features and the ability to interact with peers. When the official game came out Ken logged in at the hospital, unaware of the benefits that would provide for him in the real world.

Strategy : When fighting Lance prefers to be in the thick of the action, in order to show off his combat skills. His main strategy consists of overwhelming his opponents with flurries of speedy dagger skills. This combined with his fairly high reflexes and speed, as well as his unique skill makes him very effective when fighting 1v1 duels, it’s when fighting hordes of multiple enemies with superior ranged weaponry that he falters.

His starting skills were One handed Dagger and Leather Equipment. Instead of parrying he relies on speed and dodging. The exceptions of his combat style are when he’s hunting, taking on a more stealthy approach that better suits a dagger user, but usually he’s by himself when he hunts so he doesn’t try to show off his combat skills too much. His knowledge from Beta testing has led him to plan ahead and he knows which skills he wishes to unlock later in the game, things such as tracking, hiding, and sprint, though he has his eyes set on adopting some other forms of combat, such as martial arts or ranged should his dagger fail him. Due to his nature to be in the forefront of the action he wants to work towards clearing the death game, however he also takes enjoyment in having his arm back and tries hard to enjoy himself while he has it, as he figures that upon returning to the death game his doctors won’t be too willing to let him venture into the full dive world again.

Due to the loss of his throwing arm (his right) Lance learned how to work with his left, upon getting his arm back in SAO he fights and utilises his ambidextrous nature. This allows him to fight just as well with his left hand as his right, and oftentimes he will chuck his dagger from one hand to the other in order to startle his foes and attack their weak spots.

Unique Skills :

Shadow Flutter – A passive combat based skill. When fighting he can sometimes summon a projection of himself while dodging from his opponents attacks to draw the opponents attention, the afterimage will fade quickly though but it allows a moment of relent in a battle. This tends to occur more when he ducks to the left, as if the game were compensating for his lack of vision on his right side due to the eyepatch and hairline obscuring it.

Password : «Dungeon Crawler »

Other: He’s currently farming gold in order to purchase a recorder as soon as possible and frequently practices techniques involving his Shadow Flutter in the hopes of incorporating it into a skill at some point.

This is an announcement to all of you: For the next two days I will be less active on the forums due to family stuff. I will return by Monday, so do not despair. I will see if I can check in but do not expect me to be posting much.

Any suggestions on how i should bring in Orion? Coryn said i was accepted but hasn't put the sheet up yet. in short, he's a mace user with light armor. Anybody interested in interacting in my first post?

Well, everyone's in a group meeting right now. MP had his character come in as a sort of eavesdropper in the tail-ends so, it's really up to if you want Orion to be part of the meeting from the beginning but silent, come in as a late arrival, or somehow get involved after the meeting.

Well, everyone's in a group meeting right now. MP had his character come in as a sort of eavesdropper in the tail-ends so, it's really up to if you want Orion to be part of the meeting from the beginning but silent, come in as a late arrival, or somehow get involved after the meeting.

Since the meeting is just concluding, I think it would be best that Orion shows up sometime after the meeting (perhaps at the hunting grounds?)

EDIT: Sorry about the sheets again, I'll get right on that.

Edited by Coryn02

I will be holding a general meeting for the roleplay at about 10:30 EST (that is when I am most active online). It will be another meeting to bounce around ideas and figure out where we are headed.

Many of our ideas have been planned in the future of the RP, but so far in the immediate future we have left it open so we have more freedom to make things elaborate. If you have any ideas at all, please suggest them there and we can figure something out.

NOTE: This meeting will take place in the Chatzy. If I did not give you the link or you have misplaced it, please let me know and I will send it to you again.

Edited by Coryn02

The meeting has ended, thanks for your ideas! We decided that while in the labyrinth, the group encounters a small guild known as the Thundercats, who have become lost, injured, and otherwise outmatched by their monster opponents. The group helps them out, and they all proceed further into the labyrinth to discover the boss room.

We also decided that the hunting session in the woods will serve as a way for characters to interact with one another, since it'll be pointless to roleplay if it's dilent grinding.

If I missed or messed up anything, do let me know.

We also decided that Lance and Nydedri will be scouting ahead in the labrynth and they're the ones who find the group in danger... didn't we?

((And also that COD has no strategy...))

Weeeelll heeeeey guyssss.... I'd like to join if that's okay... Everything I've read says "Still open" so I figure, why not! Y'all also said to post here for public criticism so here goes ^.^

Username : futurelibkeeper (Lib)

In-game name: Dove

Name : Madli Hodakainen

Sex: F

Appearance : Dove stands at 5'5 and very wiry. She has light-blue eyes that are cautious and ever-watchful. The eyes are the only aspect people normally see as she constantly wears her green hood and cloak (beneath which she wears the beginners' outfit of brown tunic, forest green leggings, and brown boots) and nestles behind the cowl of her long scarf. If her hood was ever taken down, it would reveal a pale, angular face with a rather pointed nose and thin, turned-down lips, altogether framed by chin-length, pale-blonde hair that likes to stick out a bit and is kept tucked behind her ears. She kind of hunches as she walks, as if she doesn't want to be noticed.

Personality : She likes to hang out away from people, and though confrontations are very rare, she tends to attack in a way that makes it easy for her to escape. She's very much in tune with the forests of Aincrad and prefers the patterns of the simulated nature than the chaotic towns—particularly seeing as the towns very well may lose their safe zone status and she doesn’t want to be one of the ones caught off-guard. However, when she does go into town, she's the one in the darkened corner watching everyone and everything. This makes her very knowledgeable about a great many things, so when she does get into a fight, she does surprisingly well.

She has no close friends to speak of, but she does have a few she can consider "useful acquaintances". Interestingly, she’ll party with pretty much anyone, as she appreciates the support a group gives on the harder monsters and it’s easier than grinding alone. She cares little for personal conflict so is able to work with those she dislikes as much as those she likes. Other players are never sure quite where they stand with her as everything she says sounds as if she’s annoyed or bored. That is not to say that she’s uncaring. Her opinions are many-ed and ingrained but she mainly keeps them to herself. Self-preservation is her top priority and unless she is sure she can successfully aid a struggling player, she will watch and learn rather than assist. She doesn’t like it, but she also refuses to sacrifice herself for the sake of altruism.

Mysterious, quiet, calm, cold, calculating, and snarky are the most prominent words to describe her.

History : Born and raised in Finland, she was an average kid. Her mother was a nurse and her father stayed at home as an academic and enjoyed teaching her about everything he knew and writing papers for various journals. She grew with a love of knowledge and learning as well as the Finnish way about the outdoors. She was practically born with skis on her feet and often takes time to trek the trails around her home. An unremarkable student, she went on to university to pursue Sustainability Studies—mostly to avoid people as much as possible but she also has a sincere interest in the natural world. Between weekend excursions, she enjoys to trek the virtual world after school. NerveGear offered the perfect immersion experience—and who wouldn’t want to experience such a revolution?

Strategy : Dove has chosen <<Wild Dance>> and <<Hiding>> as her two skills. She had never planned SAO as a PvP and she doesn’t intend to start now. She’s much more an observer and planner, preferring to get the drop on monsters and players after examining their timing, patterns, and attacks (<<Insight>> as an Outside System Skill). She’s made an effort to settle in to Aincrad, knowing that it would be a very long time until the game is beaten. Most of her points go into Dex, making her extremely difficult to hit--a fragile speedster, if you will. She levels up by "hunting" and advising struggling parties/players. She also sells information about the nearby monsters/dungeons for extra coin. Into the game, she’ll level in things such as <<Sprint>>, <<One-Handed Dagger>>, <<Straining>> and the like. Information collection and scouting will be her niche and rather invaluable to her teammates.

Unique Skills : …………..Not really sure…Probably something to do with Spying or maybe boosted camo on whatever clothes she's wearing to help the Hiding skill or possible night vision?.....................

Password : Keeping this clear 'till I submit for realz.

Other: Due to her Finnish nature, she has a great knowledge of forests, the cold, camping, extreme weather, and the like that she can translate to in-game.

Thoughts?

Edited by futurelibkeeper