Nerei

Suggest a Creature

Suggest a Creature

Have you ever wondered what sort of lifeforms existed on Valkemare, besides dragons? Do you have any personal headcanons of what these creatures may look like or do?

Hello, TJ!

After reading one of your responses on your DC Lore AMA:

There are definitely other lifeforms that aren't humans and aren't dragons.

And they're totally affected by mana. Not all would have it as a core part of their identity, but it's still a thing.

I don't have a good idea of what creatures would exist yet (though I'm open to suggestions); I have a few vague ideas that need to be more fleshed out.

I was wondering if I could create a suggestion thread, where users can suggest, flesh out, and possibly make art for the creatures of Valkemare. We have tons of ideas, you know, and I'm sure many people would enjoy it. If you take a liking to any of the suggestions, you could confirm its existence on Valkemare. This wouldn't require any additions to the site, but perhaps there could be small expansions to the Encyclopedia which explain some of DC's current flora and fauna. The creativity would be huge, if everyone could pitch in and help.

Thank you, and I hope we'll all soon be able to create some amazing creature suggestions. happy.gif

Feel free to make one, with the obvious caveat that there's no guaranteed that any of the suggestions will become canon.

PM me a link when it's made and I'll subscribe to the thread so I can try to remember to weigh in.

TJ09 has given me permission to create a thread where our userbase can combine forces to decide what types of creatures live in our own DC, with the possibility that he may confirm its existence.

With a wide variety of niches and positions to be filled in, the possibilities are endless. If you don't have any unique ideas, remember that in many dragon descriptions, there is mention of real life creatures. How would they have possibly adapted differently to Valkemare than what is familiar to us? How would the existence of magical and physique-altering mana, as well as the threat of large, predatory, fire-breathing beasts remake these creatures?

Of course, you could always suggest your own completely unique creature. Even if it's not confirmed, we can still have lots of fun! Maybe you'll feel inspired, and create some art for your creature as well. Having sprites or other art to compare to our dragons would be very interesting.

Creature suggestion form:

[b]I want to suggest a creature![/b]
[b]Species Name:[/b] 
[b]Type:[/b] (Animal [mammal, bird, reptile, fish, amphibian, insect], plant, other.)
[b]Diet:[/b] 
[b]Habitat:[/b] 
[b]Appearance:[/b] 
[b]Description:[/b] (Role, behavior, etc.)

Edited by Niyaka

I love the Chickens, and I assumed the humans would have other livestock of some variety, similar to pigs, cattle, horses, camels, reindeer, goats, sheep, and such. I have two Vampire Dragons who have been using cattle blood as a substitute for dragon blood, and one little dragon who believes she is a cow, so I've always assumed there are cattle of some type.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/FpnW and http://dragcave.net/lineage/cOWMM are both dragons with descriptions that reference the cattle herds of Verdant.

Maybe medium size round, wooly cows with big soft eyes and slightly spiralled horns about a foot long?

ETA: I'll think more about them and get official with the form after I work on them a bit. But this is a great idea, and I look forward to seeing what others have to offer. smile.gif

Edited by dragongrrl

I want to suggest a creature! Gryphons of various kinds!

Species Name: Griphus equi, Griphus leonis, Griphus tigris, Gryphus ursi (open to other suggestions, too!)

Type: Animal (bird/mammal mix) Uhm, you all know gryphons, right? (Sometimes also called griffins).

Diet: Meat, definitely. Although some gryphons with eagle ancestry might prefer fish.

Habitat: Mountainous area, coast with steep cliffs for the fishing kind of gryphon.

Appearance:Griphus equi; Griphus leonis (but with more of a mane for the male);

Griphus ursi (well, almost...); Griphus tigris

Description: Behavior? I guess that varies from individual to individual. They're of human-like intellect and often involved in fights against dragons because both lay claim to the same habitats and the same prey. Oh, and if you ask dragons, they'll tell you these dragonflies are quite tasty, if a bit hard to catch.

I want to suggest a creature!

Species Name: Meganeura monyi (giant dragonfly, wingspan of 2.3 feet)

Type: insect (dragonfly)

Diet: insectivorous

Habitat: anywhere with water, preferably ponds and lakes, sometimes rivers

Appearance: user posted image, wingspan of 2.3 feet

Description: Uhm... they're insects, so there's no intelligence to find. They're solely driven by their instincts, which tell them what to hunt, what to avoid, what and when to mate and how to make sure their eggs survive.

Edited by olympe

Species Name: Rollfish

Type: Animal, mammal (?)

Diet: Vegetarian. They like nuts, herbs, and water plants.

Habitat: Near water, not too warm.

Appearance: Similar to a weasel, but with a big round middle part. Imagine a weasel swallowed something round that had a diameter of almost the distance between its front legs and back legs. Except that for the Rollfish, this is the natural form of their ribs. Their legs are just long enough to enable them to walk comfortably, but not very fast. They have a fish tail and one fish fin on top of the back. Their legs, tail and fins have fish-like scales; the rest of the body is covered in short fur. Their color varies from light tan to dark green.

Description: Some humans believe Rollfish have the ability to turn invisible, but they're probably just very good at hiding in plain view. They can sit completely motionless for hours when they don't want to be noticed, and be mistaken for mossy rocks or other parts of the landscape.

When that's not possible (i.e. a predatory animal already saw them), they may use their round bodies to roll into a water body nearby - hence the name "rollfish". When that is not possible, they get eaten.

Despite their balloon-like appearance, they don't float on water. The additional space in their bodies is used (among other things not yet explained by humans) for an additional organ that allows them to breathe under water, which is useful when they have to hide for a while.

They have up to twenty babies at a time (oh, yes, that's another use of that additional space), which are born underwater and stay there for the first month, eating only water plants. Then they need a greater variety of nutritients, and crawl out of the water to search for more food. Or, unfortunately, to become food for someone else.

user posted image

(click image for bigger version)

Edited by Confused Cat

Species Name: Sabre-toothed cat

Type: Animal, mammal.

Diet: Carnivorous; primary prey is herbivores, but will attack anything smaller than themselves

Habitat: Plains, mountains

Appearance: Feline appearance, between a metre and two metres tall. Length roughly three times the height, not including the tail. Tail same length as body. Upper canine teeth are enlarged and protrude below the lower jaw. Tawny-coloured, with stripes a couple of shades darker than the main fur colour. Melanistic (black, think panther) and leucistic (pale, like a white lion or peacock, NOT albino) varieties exist. Their claws are retractable, and they grow a thick winter coat if necessary; some cats living at higher altitudes have this all year round.

Description: Sabre-tooth cats are apex predators, or would be if they didn't share an environment with dragons. They're solitary beasts, only coming together to mate, and offspring leave their mother when they're fully grown and sexually mature, at about two years of age. They're ambush predators, that pick off the weak, sick, and injured in a herd of herbivores. They will also prey on the smaller breeds of dragon; the small, flightless, magicless Mints are especially vulnerable to a sabre-toothed cat. They prey on humans as well, so sabre-toothed cats in the vicinity of human settlements are swiftly hunted and killed. Their pelts sell for quite a bit, especially the winter variety.

Species Name: Wolf

Type: Animal, mammal

Diet: Carnivorous, hunter/scavenger

Habitat: Everywhere except the desert

Appearance: Wolf-like....

Description: Wolves are pack-predators that can live everywhere except true desert. They prey on weak, sick, and injured animals, and they'll also scavenge from the kills of larger predators. Valkemarian wolves will prey on dragons if there's an opportunity to do so; once again, Mints are among the most vulnerable dragons. Domestication of wolves is possible, and may have actually happened, to create the "dog" subspecies.

I'm not going to use the form, too lazy to do so right now (and my pizza is in the oven so...). Anyways, what about traditional lore creatures?

For example, kelpies, fae, nordic elves (nord mythology is absolutely awesome). We have vampire dragons in Valkemare, so I presume there must be vampire humans too.

Werewolves are awesome, but I envision them as more of a spiritual creature, one with nature and its environment. In my opinion, it has always been told that the werewolf's bloodlust come from the wolf part, although I believe it to be more from the human part. Wolves are dangerous, sure, but they are not the feral monsters people believe them to be. They are actually shy creatures, caring parents and stern yet attentive mentors. Wolves can and will kill other wolves over territory or resources (good riddance, humans have never done such a thing!), and will do so with other smaller predators over competition (humans have never done that either!).

Anyways, japanese and chinese lore can give some very interesting creatures too. Kitsunes are fascinating and there are quiet a few spirits of nature that would fit Valkemare like a glove.

And dogs. Deffinitely dogs. Its that or these people are using drakes to herd sheep, which would be awesome to be honest. tongue.gif

And dogs. Deffinitely dogs. Its that or these people are using drakes to herd sheep, which would be awesome to be honest. tongue.gif

That actually sounds pretty funny, and would fit right in with "drakes have roughly the same intelligence as a dog" thing.

Species Name: Sabre-toothed cat

Type: Animal, mammal.

Diet: Carnivorous; primary prey is herbivores, but will attack anything smaller than themselves

Habitat: Plains, mountains

Appearance: Feline appearance, between a metre and two metres tall. Length roughly three times the height, not including the tail. Tail same length as body. Upper canine teeth are enlarged and protrude below the lower jaw. Tawny-coloured, with stripes a couple of shades darker than the main fur colour. Melanistic (black, think panther) and leucistic (pale, like a white lion or peacock, NOT albino) varieties exist. Their claws are retractable, and they grow a thick winter coat if necessary; some cats living at higher altitudes have this all year round.

Description: Sabre-tooth cats are apex predators, or would be if they didn't share an environment with dragons. They're solitary beasts, only coming together to mate, and offspring leave their mother when they're fully grown and sexually mature, at about two years of age. They're ambush predators, that pick off the weak, sick, and injured in a herd of herbivores. They will also prey on the smaller breeds of dragon; the small, flightless, magicless Mints are especially vulnerable to a sabre-toothed cat. They prey on humans as well, so sabre-toothed cats in the vicinity of human settlements are swiftly hunted and killed. Their pelts sell for quite a bit, especially the winter variety.

Species Name: Wolf

Type: Animal, mammal

Diet: Carnivorous, hunter/scavenger

Habitat: Everywhere except the desert

Appearance: Wolf-like....

Description: Wolves are pack-predators that can live everywhere except true desert. They prey on weak, sick, and injured animals, and they'll also scavenge from the kills of larger predators. Valkemarian wolves will prey on dragons if there's an opportunity to do so; once again, Mints are among the most vulnerable dragons. Domestication of wolves is possible, and may have actually happened, to create the "dog" subspecies.

I'm not sure there's a ton of need to suggest creatures that already exist, rather than exotic new ones that don't exist anywhere.

Species Name: Mushroom Tree (Quasiarbor Fungi)

Type: Other: Mushroom

Diet: Saprophytic, sometimes in a symbiosis with various mosses and smaller plants, lichens and vines that grow on its cap and do photosynthesis for them. Rare are parasitic.

Habitat: Jungle (uncommon), Forest (ultra rare)

Appearance: The trunk of the mushroom is almost the same as the trunk of every tree. Some trees grow to be even over 10 meters tall, but that happens only in the Jungle. In Forest, they aren't bigger than 3-4 meters. Branches mainly start near the top, and all end in a giant cap, which can sometimes even have 15 meters large diameter(depending on the species and shape of the cap). Some older trees also have branches lower on their trunks, and those branches have their own, smaller caps. On tops of the caps there are some plants growing, but this happens ONLY if the mushroom is not poisonous.

Parasitic mushrooms don't have plants either, and are much much smaller than their saprophytic counterparts. They are rarely even two meters tall, with cap usually much less than 2,5m in diameter.

Will draw them later, if I feel like it.

Description: Saprophytic need much sunlight and water, especially if they are symbiotic. They spread either through roots, like trees, or with spores like mushrooms. It takes them a lot of time to create those spores, which makes them quite uncommon except on those parts where they took over the Jungle/Forest with their roots.

Many dragons and other creatures consider those parts sacred*, and go to die there, which provides more food for them.

Parasitic ones need only a host, and can spread only with spores.

*Circle of life.

Edited by Kitty137

I wrote in one description that my dragon likes eating beetles - despite me telling him to stop xd.png

So, I figured - what kind of beetles might there be?

I can't draw to save my life, but here's me trying my hand at descriptions.

Species Name: Dragon tick

Type: Animal, insect, beetle

Diet: Dead flakes of dragon skin/scales, other dust and stuff

Habitat: On dragons and possibly other reptiles

Appearance: a small beetle, they have long legs, looking more like a real-life tick than a beetle, although it still has the hard wing-cases. It is a light brown.

Description: it lives on dragons and other reptiles, eating dead flakes of skin and often getting eaten, mostly by pygmies or bigger beetles.

I added an image of the Rollfish to my post above.

Now I want to make up more creatures. biggrin.gif

(I think that Unicorns, Griffin, fire Salamander, Goblin, Troll, Phoenix, Kirin, golem and other normal fantasy creatures are already considered part of this world. TJ already knows them and if hw wants he will add them. Dragons are the emblem of fantasy and so are creatures like those I've posted above. I would use this topic to suggest totally new creatures

Species Name: Mutraris

Type: Bird-mammal

Diet: Carnivorous

Habitat: Forest

Appearance: They are able to transform themselves in order to appear like another creature. As long as they've seen the creature they want to copy they are able to completely assume its appearance. The more powerful is the Mutraris the more it will resemble its target. Their natural form is horrible, like enormous naked rats with dirty claws. Their skin is sticky and secretes a liquid that seems mud. They lay eggs.

Description: They're very mean and evil. They live in large groups and bring discord among dragons and other creatures. For example a Mutraris can pretend to be a dragon by taking its form and returning to the other dragons, doing bad things while it is still emulating their friend.

This thread has my name all over it.

Species Name: Dragon Shrimp

Type: Parasitic arthropod

Diet: Dragon blood

Habitat: Dragon Hoards

Appearance: Looks pretty similar to a slipper lobster when uncovered, normally covered in gold and whatever else.

user posted image

Description: (Role, behavior, etc.)

Dragon shrimp are a prevalent dragon parasite that uses hoarding behavior to their advantage. Using adhesive saliva they entirely cover themselves in gold and any other shiny objects they come across, and wait out in the open to be picked up by a dragon. Once in the hoard, they use razor sharp mouthparts to feed on small amounts of blood.

Has a relatively slow reproductive rate, but upon discovery dragons generally prefer to throw them out of the cave instead of killing them, due to their vaguely magical sticky defensive fluids that corrode gold and other precious metals.

Species Name: Cavemouth Leviathan

Type: Fish

Diet: Specialized towards dragons, but also eats fish and whatever else.

Habitat: Very shallow coastal water

Appearance: Generally remains buried in sand in clear water with only its mouth visible. Resembles a gigantic monkfish.

Description: Enormous ambush predators. Their preferred habitat is shallow clear water near coastal dragon colonies. Sits with the body buried and its cavelike mouth visible. Cavemouth Leviathans have a specialized tongue used as a lure. Certain subspecies that prey heavily on dragons have lures that resemble favored prey species of fish, or even treasure.

Waiting in only a foot or two of water, they wait for dragons to swoop and touch the lure before explosively inhaling them. The attack itself is purely reflex. Being entirely blind, a Cavemouth Leviathan will only strike if it's lure is touched. To compensate however, their lure and camouflage is almost entirely undiscenable from the real thing.

Edited by grimace

@Naruhina_94

Mutraris seem to be an interesting species. smile.gif

They sound like something no one will try to eat, at least in their natural form...

Oh, wait, - if a Mutraris takes the form of a chicken, and a dragon eats it, does it taste like chicken?

Appearance: They are able to transform themselves in order to appear like another creature. As long as they've seen the creature they want to copy they are able to completely assume its appearance.

What if they have only seen another Mutraris that had assumed that creature's appearance?

For example, Mutraris A has seen a swan before and takes the form of a swan. Mutraris B has never seen a swan, but has seen Mutraris A in swan form. Can Mutraris B now take the form of a swan, too?

@Naruhina_94

Mutraris seem to be an interesting species. smile.gif

They sound like something no one will try to eat, at least in their natural form...

Oh, wait, - if a Mutraris takes the form of a chicken, and a dragon eats it, does it taste like chicken?

What if they have only seen another Mutraris that had assumed that creature's appearance?

For example, Mutraris A has seen a swan before and takes the form of a swan. Mutraris B has never seen a swan, but has seen Mutraris A in swan form. Can Mutraris B now take the form of a swan, too?

Thanks smile.gif

They just taste very very bad, no matter which form are they taking xd.png

They have to directly see the creature they want to simulate, no reflections, images or other mutraris transformed may be able to be an adequate substitute.

Species Name: Mortal Tree

Type: Plant

Diet: carnivorous

Habitat: Forest, Jungle

Appearance: A big tree with dark trunk with strange stripes and purple leaves. Its branches are long, extensible and very dangerous. They can take preys like an octopus does and have a large range. The roots are also dangerous and could emerge from the earth and grab paws and feet to capture the unlucky creature. In the middle of the plant a large mouth full of sharp teeth is ready to eat anything comes to it. The jungle version is smaller but has poisonous lianas.

Description: They're usually quite silent and sleepy. If there is too much noise and agitation near them they "wake up" and start wag the branches to capture anything it's near enough.

Species Name: Enchanted deer

Type: Animal mana related

Diet: Erbivourus

Habitat: Forest, Alpine

Appearance: A big deer, usually with lighter colors than a normal one and wonderful decorations on its livery. They have six legs. Their horns and clogs are golden like with delicate golden threads that makes something wonderful and delicate like a spider's web. They eats grass and plants that usually grow near Earth mana crystals, so they take large doses of mana. Their skin is very hard to penetrate, but the meat inside is soft and delicious. They are able to run very very fast, and are symbol of peace and serenity. Males defends their families and are very more brave than normal deers.

Description: They're shy and prefer to avoid any other creature except Unicorns and other pure animals. Rumors say that they are an hybrid from Unicorns and regular deer.

(I think that Unicorns, Griffin, fire Salamander, Goblin, Troll, Phoenix, Kirin, golem and other normal fantasy creatures are already considered part of this world. TJ already knows them and if hw wants he will add them. Dragons are the emblem of fantasy and so are creatures like those I've posted above. I would use this topic to suggest totally new creatures

I wouldn't assume that.

Given that DC follows the Our Dragons Are Different trope (TVTropes warning), it's possible that Vaklemare's take on other "normal fantasy" beings varies as well.

e.g. orcs and other humanoids don't exist as they do in other canons; instead, if they're there at all, it's as mana-transformed humans.

Species Name: *undecided*

Type: Mammal

Diet: Extreme omnivore

Habitat: ubiquitous, appears in all but the most extreme environments

Appearance: Think a scaled, tailless rat

Description: They are generally pests, eating anything they can find. They are a little larger than your regular rat, they are known for taking up residence in lairs of messy dragons. Although they rarely attack larger dragons eggs and hatchlings, they have been known to consume pygmy, drake, and the occasional small dragon's eggs and hatchlings. They are also known for getting into food stores.

Edited by Nectaris

Species Name: Goldback Slicer

Type: Reptile

Diet: Dragons and other giant creatures

Habitat: Anywhere land dragons live. Bonus points for other creatures.

Appearance: They appear to be land crocodiles about 5-7 meters long.

Description: If the dragon they try to hunt is too big for a single one to kill it screeches. More will come running to try to kill the dragon with numbers. They also have magic-disabling organs that radiate antimagic from their head. They prefer adults but have no qualms killing juveniles or eggs.

Edited by Soulking

Species Name: Goldback Slicer

Type: Reptile

Diet: Dragons and other giant creatures

Habitat: Anywhere land dragons live. Bonus points for other creatures.

Appearance: They appear to be land crocodiles about 5-7 meters long.

Description: If the dragon they try to hunt is too big for a single one to kill it screeches. More will come running to try to kill the dragon with numbers. They also have magic-disabling organs that radiate antimagic from their head. They prefer adults but have no qualms killing juveniles or eggs.

From a biological standpoint that would be an animal that would go extinct very, very quickly. Its an active predator that would be relatively slow on land. It has antimagic, sure, but the vast majority of DC dragons could just casually fly off.

From a biological standpoint that would be an animal that would go extinct very, very quickly. Its an active predator that would be relatively slow on land. It has antimagic, sure, but the vast majority of DC dragons could just casually fly off.

Not if it's an ambush predator. It may hide in underbrush, beneath sand, or other strategic places and lunge out, seizing the neck or another vulnerable appendage... like a wing. I would still call that an 'active predator', even if it doesn't run prey down. I could see such a species being very successful, and I've seen predators hunt that way -very- successfully to get prey they aren't otherwise capable of. For example that's how cats often get birds, by hiding and pouncing before the bird can get airborne. Crocodiles and alligators may -look- clumsy, but they can actually move quite quickly on land for short distances. And wings won't help you if the predator has seized one of them and ripped into it before you even know the predator is there. Or grabbed ahold of your neck. Or your tail. Or a leg. Or ripped open your gut. Et cetera. Wings are nice but aren't everything. A lot of birds get killed and eaten by relatively slow, groundbased predators. Why should dragons be any different? Especially given a lot of DC dragons are of animal-like intelligence.

Edited by Lurhstaap

In my headcanon this is what the person who takes care of Lurhstaap's Breedery is, rather than a human. It may never be canon but I DUN CAER. xd.png

Species Name: They have some private name for themselves but humans commonly call them Rainlings

Type: Magical/elemental being, but capable of shapeshifting. Actually it's more a power best called 'life-mimicry' - the ability to appear, to all senses, to be an animal or plant while actually being made, more or less, out of raw magic.

Diet: As magical beings they feed on the natural processes which produce magic. There are other such magical beings with their own foci, but rainlings specifically are born from weather processes and compatible mana types such as Water, and by the magic of dragons such as Grays/Storms. Being born of a natural process, they are most attracted to blends of Wind, Water, and Lightning magic - generally actual rainstorms or magically summoned storms - rather than pure sources of Water or Wind or Lightning. They do not and cannot feed from the magic of blizzards or snowstorms, and Ice mana is dangerous to them. By the same token, they do not like being exposed to too much Light or Fire mana, although it isn't as directly and immediately harmful.

Habitat: Anywhere that it rains frequently and doesn't usually snow in the winter. Some individuals are homebodies (like my character) with distinct territories, while others wander, following the clouds. They especially like places inhabited by storm dragons, due to the frequency of magical storms in those lands.

Appearance: In their natural form, rainlings have no appearance that human eyes can detect. They can be spotted through the fleeting storm phenomena that occur around them - sudden gusts of wind, a brief increase in the volume of rainfall which is unusual for the size of the storm or the season, and incidents of ball lightning are the most common signs that rainlings are feeding on a given storm (although such things can certainly also happen when no rainlings are present, leading to a lot of misunderstandings and superstitions about rain, lightning, and thunder in various cultures). Natural storms can feed rainlings, but they derive more sustenance from magical storms, which is why they like hanging out around gray dragons.

Description: Stormlings are wisps of sentient magic that survive by basking in more of the same. They are basically neutral to other life forms by default, but they are known to become curious and use their 'life mimicry' ability to take the form of a human or humanoid and pretend to be one for a time, studying the odd ways of the 'solid ones'. Some rainlings even become dragon-keepers, and can do it on a scale impossible for humans. Since rainlings are nonphysical, their lifespan is effectively unlimited. So long as they can continue to absorb the right kind of mana (by basking in storm energy) and so long as nothing kills or disrupts them (challenging but quite possible using magic and very much within the abilities of a competent human mage, not to mention other magical beings) a rainling will live forever. In reality, of course, most rainlings do eventually die of either starvation or violence. But if one can find a suitable place to live and avoid violence, it can survive for a very, very, very long time, more than long enough to fill its territory with draconic friends, associates, and 'pets'.

Species Name: Manac Mites

Type: Other/Parasite

Diet: Mana

Habitat: On gem shards mostly, but have been known to live on very powerful and magically imbued dragons

Appearance: Microsopic (bedbug sized). Most people notice them by their effects of gem shards and the creatures their attack rather than seeing them.

Description: Manac Mites feed off of Mana. They serve no real purpose other than to be a nuisance to mana users (both human and draconic).

Their life cycle is like that of a flea. Adult's can travel over land in search of an adequate food source, generally using other animals to get from one place to the other at a quicker pace. Adults can go for about 2 weeks without food before they die. Eggs are laid in the ground and take on the appearance of granite pebbles, a larva can stay incubated in its egg for up to 4 months without perishing. In an area with an abundant food source, Manac Mites can lay upto 2 eggs per day. Eggs will hatch when the larva inside of them sense a certain amount of mana present. it takes 1 week of constant feeding for a larva to go into its catalyst form. To form the catalyst, the larva will attach itself to a mana shard and its body will take on the texture and appearance of the mana shard its attached to. once the catalyst is formed, it is impossible to remove without destroying the original mana shard. Gestation of the catalyst from lasts for 1 month but can be extended upto 2 months if the the Manac Mite detects poor conditions. Adults have a life span for 1 month after hatching from the catalyst.

Mana Mites take on the color of the mana they feed on. There are sub-species of Mana Mites, sorted by the mana they feed on. For instance, a Fire Mana Mite will only feed on Fire Mana and the adults of this sub-speices are Red in color when they emerge from their catalysts. The exclusion to this is the Mamic Mite, which feeds on the Manac Mites rather than directly on the Mana and can change color depending on what mites it's feeding on at the time. They feed by absorbing the mana's power and excrete fields of anti-magic as a by-product of their digestive system, these fields are absorbed by the crystals and replace the lost mana, which only serves to accelerate the destruction of mana.

** exception: there is a sub-species known as the Mamic Mite. These Mites have a longer life span, can go longer without food and feed by absorbing the life force of Manac Mites. Mamic's excrete Mana shards as a by-product of their digestive system. Humans believe that this is how Mana shards are formed.

Generally, an infestation is detected by an unexplained depletion of Mana shards.

The origin of the name comes from the effect that Manac Mites have on very powerful magically imbued dragons (ie: Avatars, BSA's, ect) which is like that of Rabies. The Dragon, which is having its magic and life fource sucked out of it, is driven insane until it dies. Both Manac and Mamic Mites have this effect on Dragons. As of yet, there have not been any documented cases of these Mites effecting humans.

Species Name: Mortal Tree

Type: Plant

Diet: carnivorous

Habitat: Forest, Jungle

Appearance: A big tree with dark trunk with strange stripes and purple leaves. Its branches are long, extensible and very dangerous. They can take preys like an octopus does and have a large range. The roots are also dangerous and could emerge from the earth and grab paws and feet to capture the unlucky creature. In the middle of the plant a large mouth full of sharp teeth is ready to eat anything comes to it. The jungle version is smaller but has poisonous lianas.

Description: They're usually quite silent and sleepy. If there is too much noise and agitation near them they "wake up" and start wag the branches to capture anything it's near enough.

Sounds like the type of thing that would exist primarily near mana (e.g. normal tree + dark mana = this or something).

Species Name: Giant Mana Frog

Type: Amphibian

Diet: Generally mana infused plants though sometimes snacking on Magi Dragon scales and other remnants of mana.

Habitat: Coast and Forest

Appearance: It is a red frog that has adapted to walking on four legs rather than hop. They also have a poison sac in their throats that they can pop to smother predators. They appear to be 3.5 meters tall and 7-13 meters long.

Description: They live near rivers and generally stay there coming out only to feast on dragon scales as the plants they eat live in the river. They only pop the sac under dangerous situations oftentimes opting to use pent up mana to combat them. Their mana allows them to combat predators and find mates. Females preferring as much mana from males as possible, as his mana source combines with the female during mating to combine with the eggs giving them a source of mana as soon as they hatch.