Fantasy Writer's Muse

Cold Iron & Pixie Dust [OOC]

Look around you and see the wonder and mystery,

See through the Veil, beyond the ancient Masquerade.

Here there be monsters: but is it you or me?

Background

When that video went viral, the whole world changed forever. A grand display of cutting-edge special effects? A prank? A publicity stunt by a news broadcaster looking to up their ratings? No, it was soon realized. That car had been torn apart, blasted into a misshapen hunk of metal. The pavement had been cracked as if a giant had stepped on it. Those windows had shattered in what had to have been the quietest earthquake in a place nowhere near any fault lines or tectonic plates.

No, the world soon came to realize. This was something much bigger.

Where faeries, elves, centaurs, goblins, and their ilk were once creatures of legend, it soon became clear that they not only existed, but they had been intermixed with human society for centuries.

Plot

The masquerade has existed for centuries, separating the supernatural creatures of myth and legend from the mundane humans. Due to the advancement of technology and communication networks, humans have discovered the existence of these creatures, and now there is irrefutable proof. The supernatural world is in upheaval, and there are political factions on the rise on whether to integrate into human society or pull away, whether to assert their authority over the weaker humans as benevolent deities or to protect and help them.

Humans are split on what to do now that they know there are vampires, werewolves, the fae, and magic-users in their midst, and some are calling for identification and segregation, while others simply want to eliminate them all. The human governments themselves are undecided on the matter, especially since a once secret branch of the government that has dealt with magical and supernatural creatures has revealed itself.

Setting

The roleplay will begin in a bustling city in the heart of the United States. Steel and glass constructs jut into the sky, and the air is filled with the sounds of car horns and industrialization. Outside of the city proper, the skyscrapers and highways melt into suburbs and wooded areas, with a large forest and trees. In the distance, there are mountains, and even some old mines from long ago.

Rules
  1. Please abide by the rules of the Dragon Cave forum and the roleplaying forums.
  2. Please try to create realistic, well-rounded characters with both strengths and flaws.
  3. If applicable, please post all character sheets in the OoC thread.
  4. Be nice and respect your fellow roleplayers.
  5. To start, please have no more than two characters.
  6. If you ever have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to send me a PM.
  7. Have fun! smile.gif
Character Sheet

[B]Name:[/B]
[B]Age:[/B]
[B]Gender:[/B]
[b]Race/ Species:[/b]
[B]Occupation:[/B]
[B]Appearance:[/B]
[B]Personality:[/B]
[B]Background:[/B]
[B]Other:[/B]

If you prefer to write a paragraph introduction--a roleplay introduction done via a post rather than a character sheet--feel free to do so. I tend to prefer them myself. smile.gif

In Character Thread

Edited by Fantasy Writer's Muse

I'll join, if you don't mind me jinxing the RP so that it dies in three days, that always happens when I do.

I would be up for joining!

Though I warn you: I will poof for a week or so tomorrow. So don't wait for me!

...have about a vote...

Medieval: 2

Steampunk: 1

Urban/Modern: 1+1=2

Historic: 0

My vote is Modern.

I'm very much interested! My vote would be steam punk but I'm fine with any of the categories.

Historical means taking real history as the backstory for the RP, where your characters will be playing key roles or otherwise in that certain era/circumstances, etc.

*disappears in a puff of smoke*

Edited by Silverlight138

Ha... well, I tend to see 'historical fantasy' as taking a real-world time period and incorporating magic or the supernatural into it. Take the Victorian era, for example, and insert vampires, werewolves, and magic-users.

The vote otherwise seems pretty split, heh. If anyone is interested in a medieval fantasy roleplay, I have one going through the approval process at the moment. [/shameless plug]

I have a vague sketch of a plot for an urban fantasy/ supernatural roleplay, if anyone's interested. It involves the idea of the masquerade, the metaphorical and physical illusions and glamours that kept the supernatural creatures hidden from the humans, falling apart. The supernatural world is in upheaval, and there are political factions on the rise. Humans are split on what to do now that they know there are vampires, werewolves, the fae, and magic-users in their midst, and some are calling for identification and segregation, while others simply want to eliminate them all.

...and there's probably a then-unseen secret government cabal who were aware of the supernatural and either fighting against them or helping uphold said masquerade.

If any of this sounds vaguely familiar, yes, I do read comics, and yes, I have been on a Civil War rush lately.

I have a vague sketch of a plot for an urban fantasy/ supernatural roleplay, if anyone's interested. It involves the idea of the masquerade, the metaphorical and physical illusions and glamours that kept the supernatural creatures hidden from the humans, falling apart. The supernatural world is in upheaval, and there are political factions on the rise. Humans are split on what to do now that they know there are vampires, werewolves, the fae, and magic-users in their midst, and some are calling for identification and segregation, while others simply want to eliminate them all.

...and there's probably a then-unseen secret government cabal who were aware of the supernatural and either fighting against them or helping uphold said masquerade.

If any of this sounds vaguely familiar, yes, I do read comics, and yes, I have been on a Civil War rush lately.

First thing I thought - Vampire: the Masquerade xd.png

Anything but modern. That is cliche beyond cliche. But Steampunk/Medieval is cool, especially if you can pull off a gritty theme well.

...well. VtM is a favorite of mine. >.>" Though the new version makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. They fixed a lot...simplified most of it...and took out the depth.

I have a love-hate with cliches. A lot of things are cliche, yet they can still be played well. The 'cliche' urban fantasy, while heavily saturated in the market at the moment, still offers unique angles, and depending on the focus of the roleplay and the realism of the players, can create something wonderful and unique. Most medieval fantasy nowadays are little more than glorified rip-offs of Tolkien, but we still like them anyway. Tropes are tools.

I'm unsure of what kind of time period or plot would interest someone doing a steampunk-medieval fantasy. To me, that sounds like a gaslamp fantasy sort of world, where magic replaces the 'technology' and realism of steampunk, so to speak. I'd like that, personally.

I really like the plot you came up with, actually. It could be an interesting mix between magic and urban life and I haven't been in that kind of RP in a while. Plus, I tend to like a mixture of technology and magic together in the same universe so that would fulfill that more than the others would.

I really like the plot you came up with, actually. It could be an interesting mix between magic and urban life and I haven't been in that kind of RP in a while. Plus, I tend to like a mixture of technology and magic together in the same universe so that would fulfill that more than the others would.

The modern urban fantasy or the gaslamp/ magical steampunk? xd.png

I say we go with FWM's plot idea unless someone else wants to speak up specifics... besides it's Muse's Thread. I think we could meld the secrecy of supernatural into what normal people see as normal.

Regardless of what will be chosen, I'll play. FWM seems to be a good GM :>

The urban fantasy one. I think it would be a really fun RP and it looks like it has lots of potential.

You give me too much credit. xd.png I'm a lazy GM who's used to very player-driven storylines and mechanics. Plot write-ups aren't my thing.

Still, regardless of the chosen plot, would character sheets be wanted? I'm a fan of paragraph introductions myself, though I'm also a fan of long posts and a slower pace, as a warning. Two-three posts from me per day at maximum, averaging at one or two.

Edited by Fantasy Writer's Muse

Yeah... I'm good at max with a paragraph a character... so if you want longer I might not be worthy. And yes to character sheets.