EnderEcho

Is the dress blue or white?

I see white (blueish?) and gold.

I don't understand why people think it's black...

EDIT: when I squint at it it looks blue and black.

Edited by BananaGummyBear64

I see white (blueish?) and gold.

I don't understand why people think it's black...

It's because of the cones in our eyes, I have better cones than you apparently. The link explains it. Someone thought it was uniformly mustard. Another person's opinion:

It is CensorKipz black and blue!

I see a light, slightly greyish blue with a greenish brown trim. Maybe I could see the trim as a very aged dark gold, but it's pushing it, imo.

It would help if this was taken in a studio setting, rather than in a store.

Take that as you will.

I have no idea how people are seeing it as black and blue... to me it is obviously white and gold, but that's just me.

The full shot of the dress looks blue and black to me. While the close up appears blue and brown, as if the dye is washed out on the lacy stuff. The quality of the photo leaves something to be desired, but yeah, I'm going to say I'm in the “Blue and Black” crowd. xd.png

I'm hesitant to use Buzzfeed as a source, but this link explains things in a much more believable way than "something about rods and cones". I doubt our eyes are different enough that we could get THAT kind of variation.

Try looking at the photo in different lightings? Yellow light versus blue? At the moment I see the dress as blue and black, but the lighting in my room is super super orange.

I've been seeing it as blue and black, white and gold, and light blue and gold. Someone suggested that maybe it was the viewing angle of the screen but I use an iPad and it doesn't have a drastically noticeable colour change even if I look at it from extreme angles.

There'll be a reason for it all. Eyes are easily tricked by a variety of circumstances.

Edit in regards to the above post: Each time I viewed it under the same light source. BUT I did go outside between the first and second viewings. Although the light source I mentioned also happens to be daylight, just through a window.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

It's a trick of the light, a black and blue dress in yellow light (which is what is pictured apparently) looks like a white and gold dress in a blue shadow essentially |D

To test the color-correction thing, I stuck my phone under a fold of my sweater (it's blue) to force my eyes to correct accordingly. It worked! My eyes switched from blue/black to white/gold. The colors changed back after a few moments, but nevertheless a switch occurred.

In addition to the lighting theory, try changing the color balance of objects around you/layer something translucent in blue/yellow over your screen and see how your eyes adjust.

Blue and black on my main laptop screen, though the black either has a bit of sheen when light falls on it or is a bit faded. (Picture quality is bad...) White and dark gold on one of my PC screens. Looking at those side-by-side, I can pretty much see two recolors. So here is one reason for the differences - screens with their various settings. (This laptop can't pull off anything darker than dark gray to save its life, so I generally prefer the gamma of the PC screen.)

For the matter - yes, the combination of our eyes *and* our brain does make our colour perception vastly different. As far as hue/shade distinguishing goes, then that I have as perfect.

My mother once had a car which people couldn't agree whether was green or blue (midsummer-sky blue for me).

And then there was a car which was black, but also green and just a tone or two darker than grass. (Haven't seen this one myself.)

And then there is some weird green that human eyes generally see as brown.

I am also amongst the people see the weird colour between yellow and blue that is nothing even vaguely greenish, others can't see it. (Mainly occurs from lightsources - you can't really mix it.)

Edited by Shienvien

Mostly what I see is... a photograph with terrible lighting, likely taken with a cellphone. Is it a super-washed-out picture of a blue and black dress, or a stupidly-darkened picture of a white and gold dress? Or even a darkened AND washed out picture of a white and black dress?

Impossible to tell from the quality of the photo without some serious analysis from a photography expert...

Dress confirmed to be black and blue.

So yeah it's probably the lighting in the photo.

... or additional photos.

As for the photo itself (NOT the dress), the pixels are:

vaguely gray-blue

ugly washed-out brown

The brown may appear to have gold or green tinges, depending on your eyes, lighting environment, and last but certainly not least, your monitor. (Mine is established to be terrible with pinks/purples and yellows/greens, regardless of what "temperature" I set it to.)

Edited by EclipseDraculine

I see blue and black. How on earth are people seeing white/gold? *mindblown*

At this point I'm less interested in the actual color of the dress (it's blue and black sorry) and more in the fact that the colors in the photo are just vague enough that our eyes can read them differently depending on the surrounding colors. This is a phenomenon that's been known for a while, but it's usually done intentionally (like in pixel art, for example) so it's really cool that the ****ty quality of a cellphone picture could do the same, and in such a dramatic way.

Shienvien, the blue-yellow color you see is the result of your visual cortex imagining up a new color based on blurred edges between two real contrasting colors (which I'm sure you know already, but I thought I 'd restate it because !!! our brains are hecka cool). A lot of people are able to imagine these impossible colors, but since they're, well, impossible, it's not something we can hold onto or define very easily. It's really neat that that's something we can do.

edit: I should note for the sake of clarity that by "blurred edges between two colors" I don't mean it in the conventional way. Imaginary colors occur when your visual cortex mixes two color signals. Sorry for being vague Dx

Edited by Ayesthine

Brown taupe and Periwinkle. Also, the lighting is horrendous on that picture.

Having had color theory and tests for my color accuracy, I know there's nothing wrong with my eyes wink.gif

EDIT: Annnnd that's freaky. Just saw the actual color of the dress. Even knowing it's blue and black, I cannot see it for the life of me.

Edited by Omega Entity

Colour is but an illusion....

xd.png

But in all seriousness I see Black and blue....I'm not seeing this gold and white anywhere... huh.gif

I saw white and gold originally. I did all sorts of tests to see if it would change, and I still only saw the white and gold. Then after about an hour I looked at the photo again and noticed I saw more blue in the "white" area of the dress, and now it looks blue (like a washed out or grayish blue) and brown. I don't see how anyone could get black out of that, though. It definitely looks brown in the picture.

At this point I'm less interested in the actual color of the dress (it's blue and black sorry) and more in the fact that the colors in the photo are just vague enough that our eyes can read them differently depending on the surrounding colors.
Reminds a bit of the relative tone perception chessboard illusion, no?

No matter how much you try to convince yourself otherwise, A and B are not the same tone of color ... until you slice the picture up in a photo editor and paste them over one another, and they *are*: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...al_illusion.PNG

(Decided to link because of the size.)

(And yes, I know the explanations behind the blue-yellow that is nothing like green. Hence my comment about not being able to "mix" it whatsoever - yellow/blue lights (or looking at a blue and yellow square cross-eyed) seem to do the trick most commonly. It is mostly the brain sort of overlaying the colors rather than combining them which results in a "ghost color". There are others than blue-yellow, such as pink-green, et cetera, but the blue-yellow is the most well-known.)

I see blue and black. How on earth are people seeing white/gold? *mindblown*

That's what I'm wondering. How the heck are people seeing white and gold when it's so obviously blue and black?

Black and blue

OMG now its white and gold. I'm losing my mind.