angelicdragonpuppy

Prize x Prize only breeds one color?

I've seen this mentioned before, thought it had been fixed, but now I'm not so sure.

It appears that breeding two prizes of different color together (ex gold shimmer x bronze shimmer or silver tinsel x bronze tinsel) only ever produces one color of prize, although which color that is is randomly determined.

Can this be fixed?

That doesn't always appear to be the case, though. I have a silver tinsel mated to a

silver shimmer, and have both offspring types in the progeny.

http://dragcave.net/progeny/nWcwJ

Maybe it's just bad luck?

Tinsel x Shimmer doesn't have this problem because the system views them as different breeds. However, Tin x Tin and Shim x Shim seems to only ever breed one colour. It annoys me too, I hope it gets fixed as the Holiday dragon breeding did.

Oh, now I see what you mean. I think I misunderstood. Now that I'm looking at my

tinsels that are mated to other tinsels, they only produce one colour of offspring.

That's really odd...

It had been fixed for holiday dragons of the same season, as far as I've heard, haven't heard that for Prizes yet.

https://dragcave.net/progeny/n9SE1

I've encountered this too, I have a Silver Shimmer mated to a Bronze Shimmer and all 11 of their children have been silver. Doesn't really impact me since I breed that pair to the AP but it's still kinda odd. Thought maybe it defaults to the higher-level color or something, or maybe it's a ratio issue since there are less golds than silvers and less silvers than bronzes (CB anyway, not sure where we stand on total amount of bred ones).

You know, now that you pointed it out, it's kinda odd.

I have had 12 successful breedings between gold tinsel x silver tinsel from three different pairings. All offspring are silver.

I also managed three offspring from a gold tinsel x bronze tinsel pairing (from the same pairing), which are all bronze. (Genders across the pairings differ, so it's not usually the male or the female that proves to pass on their color.)

https://dragcave.net/progeny/n9SE1

I've encountered this too, I have a Silver Shimmer mated to a Bronze Shimmer and all 11 of their children have been silver. Doesn't really impact me since I breed that pair to the AP but it's still kinda odd. Thought maybe it defaults to the higher-level color or something, or maybe it's a ratio issue since there are less golds than silvers and less silvers than bronzes (CB anyway, not sure where we stand on total amount of bred ones).

I know a Silver x Bronze pair that only tosses Bronze, so I think it's just totally (and oddly) random. ;~;

I think I read somewhere that the oldest one passes the color down, is this true in your examples?

I think I read somewhere that the oldest one passes the color down, is this true in your examples?

No, not really. Some have the younger one passing t down.

Are there any cases where a silver x gold pair produces golds, or a bronze x silver pair produces silvers? If I'm not mistaken it sounds like all examples given so far have the "rarest" (in terms of usual color symbolism) color be less dominant. If that's the case, I doubt it's a bug, and it's probably operating on the theory of gold is rarer/'better' than silver is rarer/'better' than bronze.

Are there any cases where a silver x gold pair produces golds, or a bronze x silver pair produces silvers? If I'm not mistaken it sounds like all examples given so far have the "rarest" (in terms of usual color symbolism) color be less dominant. If that's the case, I doubt it's a bug, and it's probably operating on the theory of gold is rarer/'better' than silver is rarer/'better' than bronze.

There are a couple of examples above of Silvers from Silver x Bronze.

Edited by purplehaze

silver/gold that makes gold: http://dragcave.net/progeny/MUuLt

Hm! So much for that theory then. xd.png In that case, it probably is a bug, because it doesn't seem to follow any consistent logic and you'd think a deliberately set-up system would.

Like someone else mentioned, until this year there was a bug where breeding two same-type Holidays would always produce only one breed (ex: SW x Marrow would only ever produce SWs). This is probably a similar glitch, hopefully one that can be fixed somewhat soon.

Posting in this thread to make sure it keeps attention.

I'm working on a "deadline" lineage right now, and in order to get the golds I need, it seems like I'm going to have to back up in the lineage and breed another set (or at least, rebreed one half of the pair).

I just replaced one of the dragons in my lineage because of this. I would love for this to be fixed.

Couldn't it be solved by making all the different prize colors behave as different breeds?

lol assuming site internals.

Not everything is a code problem; this particular thing could be solved in code by precisely 15 characters.

It's not fixable because it would involve changing the breeding behavior of already established pairings and break lineages that are relying on the current behavior.

I also don't personally see it as a problem. It's consistent, it's even chance of either breed (though not actually random), and it allows for more possibilities than always picking the "higher placed" color (and more reliable than picking a random one).

Isn't that another way of saying it IS fixable, but you don't want to change it?

What is the philosophy behind making them always throw one or other colour, instead of both? I don't understand the purpose of it doing that. Whether it was intentional behaviour or not, it doesn't make sense.

There cannot be many lineage that rely on a prizexprize only throwing one colour surely? And even if there are, they can keep doing it but only use the offspring of the right colour? More lineages are available this way not less.

lol assuming site internals.

Not everything is a code problem; this particular thing could be solved in code by precisely 15 characters.

It's not fixable because it would involve changing the breeding behavior of already established pairings and break lineages that are relying on the current behavior.

I also don't personally see it as a problem. It's consistent, it's even chance of either breed (though not actually random), and it allows for more possibilities than always picking the "higher placed" color (and more reliable than picking a random one).

lol you don't tell us many things so assumptions are often all we have to base suggestions on. Also laughing at players making guesses is a pretty shoddy way to respond.

Holiday x Holiday pairings only breeding one or the other was "breeding behavior of already established pairings," too, even if it was just during the Holidays. I also haven't seen anyone post in this thread who does Prize x Prize saying how much they love the mechanism.

It also wouldn't break lineages; random shots at getting either would allow them to work like every other lineage--you breed, sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't. I fail to see how allowing for MORE lineage types is somehow a bad thing. Nothing is broken; people who rely on the current way might have to breed more, sure, but the people who have posted saying they have had to rebreed things to make their lineages work wouldn't have to, so it balances out.