wobster109

Make names of dead dragons available?

Would it be possible to make the names of dead dragons available after a time? I understand that TJ wants the dead dragons to hang around in lineages, and I'm not asking for them to be deleted or have their code erased or anything like that. But I'd love to use the names again. Last Halloween (2013) I had some failed zombie attempts. I'd love to name some new dragons after the dead ones to remember them.

(There's a suggestion to be able to rename dead dragons as a way to work with this.) I agree that something needs done so that dead dragons aren't uselessly taking up names and I agree with this suggestion. It would likely involved some code rework, but I'd personally like it if it went back as before, where dead dragons lost their names when they were killed. Or at the very least, they should lose their names after two weeks.

I would HATE if it went back to the way it was before... this lineage would be absolutely ruined

I could live with the "stealing names" option methinks, I'd be happy with having the rename function available for dead dragons, but them simply LOSING names again, nope, njet, nada, nein, non....

(There's a suggestion to be able to rename dead dragons as a way to work with this.) I agree that something needs done so that dead dragons aren't uselessly taking up names and I agree with this suggestion. It would likely involved some code rework, but I'd personally like it if it went back as before, where dead dragons lost their names when they were killed. Or at the very least, they should lose their names after two weeks.

Thanks for the link. I forgot we had that. ^^

herk - while I'd personally love if the names just disappeared after 2 weeks, I'd also be happy with the dead dragon's (former?) owner getting a rename button. And subjecting the dead dragons to name "stealing" same as living ones for inactive scrolls.

I don't know how this could possibly work to keep everyone happy, to be honest. I have some dragons with dead ancestors from other people's scrolls in their lineage, and I like those names in there (I actually hate having code only dragons in my lines, though I do have a lot:() - and if one of those players went inactive, I'd lose it.

Also! Do zombies count as 'dead', or would zombies get to keep their names? ASSUMING that their owner was active.

As for my opinion... i am not sure I feel that strongly about this.

While I understand why some folks want names that are taken up by dead dragons, I also understand Fuzz's point of view. i don't much LIKE codes and no-name on my dragons ancestors... or babies either... but there isn't anything I can do about it, so... I dunno here.

I do wonder if applying name-stealing to dead dragons could work?

Edited by Silverswift

Zombies do not count as dead dragons, you can rename them right now.

One suggestion would be to unname zombie fodder before killing then and then rename them if it is successful. And yes you can rename a zombie. I've done it.

I actually named my zombie fodder before killing them:

• Future zombie
  • Zombie candidate
  • I'm gunna be a zombie when I'm undead

Have fun with it.

Edited by Nivvekk

I've forgotten to rename a few dragons before killing them and am unable to get those names back as a result. I would love to be able to reclaim the names of dead dragons, even if it was only those from my own scroll.

I would just like to be able to rename our own dead dragons, even if those from others could only be renamed by their owners.

Am but am not for this, as...I guess maybe some of my dead dragons, I want them to KEEP their names :/ depending on the lineage lol

I think the best way to handle this is to treat them like dragons on inactive scrolls - they keep their name until someone wants to use it, then the name stealing thing would work. It could happen that someone steals a name and ruins a lineage, but that is only likely for "common" and popular names.

However, an additional rename button for dead dragons would be useful, so those people working on lineages with named dead dragons can at least rename the dragon if the name has been stolen.

Yeah, I know it would be annoying if you work on a deadline and get your names stolen - but I think that is the best way to serve the broad mass of players. I believe most dead dragons are not used in lineages anyway and freeing up those names is of greater interest than keeping the few that are in use. So with an additional renaming feature for dead dragons, the only inconvenience for deadliners would be to occasionally rename a dead dragon, or to think up very individual names for them in the first place.

tl;dr: no name wiping please, but enable name stealing for dead dragons and give their owners a renaming button so they can rename the dragon if its name was stolen

I'm not so sure. I have some lovely lines with named dead dragons from other people's scrolls in them - and some of those people no longer play... I couldn't rename them, as they aren't on my scroll sad.gif

I just want to be able to rename my own dead dragons. I have a nice name sitting there useless and I would love to give it to another dragon.

No automatic wiping is necessary, I just want to be able to rename all the dragons on my scroll.

Why should dead dragons be treated any differently than live dragons?

Since they stay named now when dead, let the owners of their scroll rename the dead dragons if they like, and let the names come up for use again if the scroll owner goes inactive. This is exactly the way things work for live dragons.

Since they stay named now when dead, let the owners of their scroll rename the dead dragons if they like, and let the names come up for use again if the scroll owner goes inactive. This is exactly the way things work for live dragons.

Truthfully, I agree with Solar Cat here.

If dead dragons get to keep their names, why shouldn't they be dealt with the same as live dragons as far as names? The owner should be able to rename them, if they want, AND I think applying name-stealing to dead dragons on inactive scrolls would be a possible solution. I do realize that some people with dead lines wouldn't liek the names stolen... BUT I wonder, how often would the names of those be in ny real danger of being stolen?

Certainly it would be better than having names auto-wiped.

I suppose that's fair. It's the idea that all deads automatically lose their names that would REALLY hurt.

IF we ever get that snatch names from inactive scrolls - yeah, That is fair. Because that would be the same for living or dead dragons. But I would also like to be able to rename deads that were on my scroll before they were deaded... (not zombies, actual deads. Like the ones here. http://dragcave.net/lineage/73DVe Not that I WANT to rename those, but still...)

If they could be renamed - and if you want, just leave the name blank so it would be unnamed - I all for it.. Basically, treat them like living dragons as I have some names I would love back.

How would you be able to find old dead dragons (no longer visible)? I mean, I support, if there was some way to search for the dead ones.

How would you be able to find old dead dragons (no longer visible)? I mean, I support, if there was some way to search for the dead ones.

They are visible in lineages from - when TJ changed things.

Here's one:

http://dragcave.net/view/RgX10

And it BETTER keep its name, now that my original plan went pearshaped !

They are visible in lineages from - when TJ changed things.

Here's one:

http://dragcave.net/view/RgX10

And it BETTER keep its name, now that my original plan went pearshaped !

What about dead dragons with no children? Could we find them too?

Maybe this?

1) Dead dragons on inactive scrolls eventually have their names open for reclaiming, at the same time the living ones do (as per here)

2) You can rename dead dragons on your own scroll (allowing you to reclaim the names of, say, failed zombie attempts)

What if the names of dragons without offspring become available automatically, but those with offspring must wait until a scroll is inactive for their names to be reclaimed? Since dead dragons don't show in a parent's progeny, I see no reason for ones who died without descendants to keep their names.

What if the names of dragons without offspring become available automatically, but those with offspring must wait until a scroll is inactive for their names to be reclaimed? Since dead dragons don't show in a parent's progeny, I see no reason for ones who died without descendants to keep their names.

I'd support this as long as our own dead dragons could also be renamed whenever.

I don't think you should rename dead dragons, because they're, you know, dead. I also don't think they should lose their names because then some lineages would go really sour. I think it'd be best if live dragons and dead dragons could share a name. There's not even the threat of abuse because then only two dragons could have that name, and one would have to be dead in the first place.

I don't think you should rename dead dragons, because they're, you know, dead. I also don't think they should lose their names because then some lineages would go really sour. I think it'd be best if live dragons and dead dragons could share a name. There's not even the threat of abuse because then only two dragons could have that name, and one would have to be dead in the first place.

But then how would the dragcave.net/n/name link work?

Also maybe instead of a rename option simply a 'remove name' option, as that's the real intent.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy