Melisande

Encyclopedia Suggestion - Count our Dragons!

With the release of the new Encyclopedia it's a little disturbing that it says we have 0 of a breed.

Can it please be fixed to show how many of each breed we already own?

I don't care about the unlocking of information, keep it so that as we click on things we open up new features... but don't say we own 0 if we have tons of dragons.

I know there are members here who have played for years who have thousands of dragons and the encyclopedia says we own 0.

That is really not fair and not a good reward for people who have been playing for years.

Keep the unlocking of information linked to the observations, but please, please, please let it update to say how many of each breed we have.

We have worked a long time to get the dragons we have, and this just is kind of a slap in the face.

If we have the dragon on our scroll it should count as being owned in the encyclopedia. As we observe dragons or grow more we can unlock information, but if we own a dragon we should have credit for owning it.

Edited by Melisande

I wonder if that can be disassociated from the unlocking or if it would mess it up. I do not mind starting from a clean slate because the encyclopedia is something to do. We have forever to do it. So I think having a new goal to help click on fansites/forums is good. So if it can be separate from unlocking, that's cool. If not, I prefer it stays how it is.

If the unlocking of information can be linked solely to observing dragons then having the number of dragons already owned should be able to be imported sepratly into the encyclopedia pages. That way people who have thousands of dragons get credit for it and not have pages that say own 0.

If the unlocking of information can be linked solely to observing dragons then having the number of dragons already owned should be able to be imported sepratly into the encyclopedia pages. That way people who have thousands of dragons get credit for it and not have pages that say own 0.

But unlocking works both by owning and raising and I am not sure you need the same number of both for unlocking. I think their totals are different? So if you can unlock faster by raising than viewing, some people may still want that option.

But having the hatchies and eggs on your scroll would count as observing them. So it would still be observation vs having them owned already.

Or maybe add in a legacy ownership under the "owned 0" right now to count those we already have.

But having the hatchies and eggs on your scroll would count as observing them. So it would still be observation vs having them owned already.

Or maybe add in a legacy ownership under the "owned 0" right now to count those we already have.

Except that raising them counts as raising them. Clicking dragons you don't own or old adults that aren't in the encyclopedia is viewing them. o.o

I do see where the older players are coming from, having thousands of dragons for them not to be counted in the encyclopedia can be disheartening, so perhaps there can be seperate tabs or something. It could say how many dragons we have in total, but then we would still have to raise/view the dragons for them to be put into the encyclopedia for their info. If I understand how its working now, viewing our own dragons does nothing, so it encourages people to look at other peoples scrolls, and I ike that since it helps out eggs and hatchlings to grow, I don't want that to change.

Viewing your own dragons doesn't count them as owned, as it only currently counts those raised after the encyclopedia went live. However, viewing your own does count as observing them. You may need to kickstart that by observing someone else's first. That's what I found when I did this while beta testing.

As for counting all our dragons on our scrolls as owned now, I prefer it the way it is. Half the fun of something like this is in the discovery for a lot of people. How does this work? What will it take to unlock the next thing? If I do <this> what will happen? Having it already count all your previous dragons would mean everything is already opened and filled in in the encyclopedia. It doesn't become a game of discovery then, just a source of extra information. That would be very anticlimactic for a lot of us.

Maybe at some point in the future TJ could consider adding a "scan your scroll to update the number of adults" button, so it gives an accurate count of adults on your scroll. That would be rather nice but I'd rather not have it available until I've played with the new feature for awhile.

Mods can lock this thread... TJ almost never listens to users anyway when they make sugestions on his new shiny features... so why even bother. He's not going to change things and older users are still gonna get flipped the bird that their collections count for nothing. This on top of all the other poor new feature implementations is causing me to leave DC for good (in the process of releasing all my dragons) so I don't really care any more. I'm gone for good this time becuase of how often TJ just ignores the people who have been playing the game for years and have opionions and ideas and want to make things better... but he just keeps ignoring older problems and putting in new things that don't work or are not fun / make the game harder or more stressful.

I agree with the first post. It seems much better to me to have the pages tell you how many of a breed you have, instead of you needing to start from scratch.

I wonder if that can be disassociated from the unlocking or if it would mess it up. I do not mind starting from a clean slate because the encyclopedia is something to do. We have forever to do it. So I think having a new goal to help click on fansites/forums is good. So if it can be separate from unlocking, that's cool. If not, I prefer it stays how it is.

Maybe if all dragons of one breed owned were counted after unlocking everything about that breed it won't cause a mess?

Mods can lock this thread... TJ almost never listens to users anyway when they make sugestions on his new shiny features... so why even bother. He's  not going to change things and older users are still gonna get flipped the bird that their collections count for nothing. This on top of all the other poor new feature implementations is causing me to leave DC for good (in the process of releasing all my dragons) so I don't really care any more.  I'm gone for good this time becuase of how often TJ just ignores the people who have been playing the game for years and have opionions and ideas and want to make things better... but he just keeps ignoring older problems and putting in new things that don't work or are not fun / make the game harder or more stressful.

TJ doesn't listen to users? Since when? Every update this game has had was asked for by someone. And a some were even changed again because less people liked them then was thought.

It's is only the first day for the Encyclopedia, shouldn't you give it some time before deciding it's completely awful and a game breaker? There hasn't even been enough time to get a consensus on how players feel about your suggestion, let alone if it's actually possible to do. Some things can't be added retroactively. No biggie, it means we all start on the same page.

Edit: also, it looks like there is at least some user support for this, given a second topic has been started: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=164307

Edited by DragonLady86

I agree with the OP, I was looking forward to the Encyclopedia mostly because it would tell me how many dragons of each breed I owned. I'm extremely disappointed that it doesn't.

I do agree that it seems silly to (in the encyclopedia or elsewhere) have a count of how many you own of a breed when it really counts how many of the breed you have raised since October 22, 2014.

Of course, how many of a breed we own is one of several useful statistics that I'm sure many of us are itching to know. tongue.gif

Edited by Lavinia

I would love if the dragons prior to today could be counted in our encyclopedias. I would be willing to wait for 1 year or until we had activated all the dragons in the encyclopedia or something like that, but I would very much to have the dragons I presently own be counted. I daresay I could live with it if it stays as is, but I would much prefer that the dragons I raised before today be counted on the encyclopedia pages.

Cross-posting from the other thread, in case one gets closed.

It's very off-putting (and stressful, speaking as someone with OCD issues) to have raised over 2400

dragons, and have tumbleweeds in our encyclopaedias.

It would be really neat if there was an option to either start over afresh, for those who want to, or

have our existing numbers counted instead.

Keep in mind that the "Hatchlings Raised" number never goes down. Even if it were to be populated right now with the current state of your scroll, allowing you to unlock everything instantly, it would quickly get out of sync with the current count.

That is, the statistics on the encyclopedia were never intended to be an accurate count of how many of a dragon you currently have, but everything you've ever had. There's no easy way to go back and time and figure that out.

Everything a user has ever had is at least how many they have now. Even if it wouldn't be accurate for all users, it would at least be closer to the real number if (at least for the adult numbers of the breed) the starting number considered those already on scroll.

It's cool if this doesn't affect encyclopedia unlock, transitioning is hard. Maybe after we fully unlock a breed, its adult breed count (if less than the number of that breed's adults on scroll) is increased to match the number on scroll? It might not be exactly correct, but it would be closer.

Edit: alternately, a wording change may suffice. "Adults raised towards encyclopedia unlock" is wordy but accurate.

Edited by Lavinia

Keep in mind that the "Hatchlings Raised" number never goes down. Even if it were to be populated right now with the current state of your scroll, allowing you to unlock everything instantly, it would quickly get out of sync with the current count.

That is, the statistics on the encyclopedia were never intended to be an accurate count of how many of a dragon you currently have, but everything you've ever had. There's no easy way to go back and time and figure that out.

I'm okay with this, but I would like to at least see the encyclopedia be updated with the dragons we've raised under both "Observed" and "Raised". It's frustrating to have to manually click all the dragons, since add-ons that open all links selected don't register in the encyclopedia.

The way I'd see it is that we've been taking notes on our dragons behavior the whole time, but now have a nice, convenient place to keep it all organized.

The encyclopedia would be far more valuable to me if it counted my old dragons as I don't wish to hoard more of them (My scroll goal is to have 1 male and 1 female of each breed), not to mention the sheer amount of time spent. And why do you need 3 adults to see what the dragon looks like D: This is seriously un-cool for people who don't wish to fill up their scrolls, wouldn't two be far more ideal?

The encyclopedia would be far more valuable to me if it counted my old dragons as I don't wish to hoard more of them (My scroll goal is to have 1 male and 1 female of each breed), not to mention the sheer amount of time spent. And why do you need 3 adults to see what the dragon looks like D: This is seriously un-cool for people who don't wish to fill up their scrolls, wouldn't two be far more ideal?

As everyone has already stated, if you don't wish to raise dragons, just click some. basically everyone is clicking right now. It's really not too hard to click some dragons, I mean, isn't DC all about clicking anyway?

I suppose but it really does become a chore and it's sad that all the work I have already done doesn't count towards the encyclopedia.... (I can see how older users could feel either way). Doesn't the 'just go clicking' make the -number of dragons owned- rule slightly redundant? It's more of an observation than a complaint though.

The added incentive to click hatchlings is a definite bonus!

So I've tried clicking on another's Scroll, I've gone to AoND and clicked on beasts there. But still only have one purple Nebula that shows in my Encyc. How do you unlock the images again?

I'll add my voice to the lot requesting that the dragons we already have be counted. I think it will be fun to unlock the info by observing, but I want to see the dragons I already have, instead of a zero.

I've worked long and hard to collect my 2900 some dragons. Couldn't they at LEAST unlock the images for Pete's sake?! Don't see any advantage to having go and click 15 times on each type of dragon that I already have.