olympe

Alter Pygmy, Splits and Drake descriptions

Pygmy dragons are the smallest breed of true dragons, being the size of a small cat. They are often found around concentrated populations of dragons, relying on their larger brethren to ward away potential predators, and to leave generous scraps. As such, the majority of a Pygmy's diet is scavenged, though they do hunt songbirds and small mammals when the pickings are slim. Due to their tiny size, pygmies do not breed with other varieties of dragons, but select mates within their breed.

Two headed dragons are a special breed of dragons. They have two necks, two brains, two mouths, but one stomach and one main body. The two heads usually work together, but there are times when they will fight each other, attacking back and forth. They use their sharp teeth and wings to hunt large animals, and rarely eat plants. It is unknown what would happen if a two headed dragon were to mate with a one headed dragon, since it has never occurred. They only mate within their breed.

Since we got a couple of other Pygmy and Two-Headed breeds, the descriptions above don't seem adequate any more, neither are their names. Something similar is going on for Drakes, although their halotype, the Ochredrakes, already have a specific name.

Suggestion: Let's use these descriptions (or at least the parts that describe common traits of that breeding group) as general descriptions for the respective breeding group. It would be between the general dragon description ("Dragons are creatures with nearly unlimited life spans. [...]) and the actual breed description.

What I'd like to see as a general Pygmy Dragon description:

Pygmy dragons are the smallest breeds of true dragons, being the size of a small cat. Due to their tiny size, pygmies do not breed with larger varieties of dragons, but select mates their own size.

What I'd like to see as a general Two Headed Dragon description:

Two headed dragons are special breeds of dragons. They have two necks, two brains, two mouths, but one stomach and one main body. The two heads usually work together, but there are times when they will fight each other, attacking back and forth. It is unknown what would happen if a two headed dragon were to mate with a one headed dragon, since it has never occurred. They only mate with other two headed dragons.

Potential Drake description (still being discussed):

Drakes are a subspecies of primitive dragons that branched off from their larger brethren ages ago. They are smaller than most dragons, ranging from the size of the small pygmies to the size of a large dog. They are less intelligent than their cousins, being on average about as smart as a dog or cat. Most drakes are easily trainable as a result, though they are known to have short attention spans. All drakes possess antlers but do not possess any opposable digits, and their wings consist of one true finger and several struts that run down the length of their tails. Like their dragon relatives, they do not communicate verbally, but use a rudimentary form of telepathy to communicate their basic needs and desires. However, they are capable of producing a wide variety of sounds to convey emotion or pain.

Of course, we'd also need new descriptions for both splits and the original pygmies, as well as new breed names. (Common Pygmy? Amber Pygmy? Orange Pygmy? Common Two-Headed Dragon? Split Dragon?)

Edited by olympe

I would be in favor of this change.

I think Split Dragons should be the name of the original 2-heads, since we have been calling them that forever. wink.gif I think something more descriptive than Common Pygmy would be better for those, since they are probably no more common than any of the others -- maybe Tawny Pygmy?

Edited by purplehaze

I checked the Ochredrake description, and some elements of it could be used as a regular drake description - although I'd prefer a complete redo of the regular dragon description since it's clearly stated that drakes aren't dragons.

I checked the Ochredrake description, and some elements of it could be used as a regular drake description - although I'd prefer a complete redo of the regular dragon description since it's clearly stated that drakes aren't dragons.

I was told somewhere that drakes are related to dragons and are sort of like "primitive" dragons or something that eventually branched off.

But I agree, I'd like to see something else for the drake basic descriptions.

The regular pygmies are the smallest breed allowed in cave (at the size of a small cat). When my Gnome pygmies came about, I had wanted them even smaller, and was told by the pygmy mommy (im gonna assume mommy) that her breed was set to be the absolute smallest. (their mommy wanted them to be able to hang out on fingertips, but was told the size was too small).

I do think they could use a name change, since they are no longer the only pygmies (perhaps just common, or common yellow pygmy?)

Their description still works, but I think if their conceptor wanted to give them a bit more personality at this point, they could.

As for Splits.. well.. they could use a better name officially. Their name is a description at best, its been long enough that the people living in dc world could give them an official name.

Duel-headed or something. Of course, I absolutely hate numbers being used in "names", but I wouldnt mind a simple word swap. Their descriptions could use a bit more personality too, since there are multiple multi headed dragons now.

I was told somewhere that drakes are related to dragons and are sort of like "primitive" dragons or something that eventually branched off.

But I agree, I'd like to see something else for the drake basic descriptions.

Yes, they are modeled after the watch-whers from The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne Mc Caffrey. Like the dragons there, these were genetically engineered from some smaller, dragon-like creatures called "firelizards". Unlike the dragons there, the watch-whers are pretty stupid and supposedly ugly, but yet they and the dragons recognize each other as (distant) kin.

I will always and forever think of them as "Splits", but a new official name sounds good now that we have newer ones.

This could apply to Drakes, too, no?

I actually don't stare at descriptions too much so I'm not really sure and don't have a particular say in the description part of this thread.

However, I am in support of Pygmy's and Two-heads getting 'official' names.

I definitely support the idea. However, I have no suggestion on new names.. but I firmly agree that they need one.. and new descriptions.

I do like this idea for 2heads, pygmies, and drakes. It is weird to have to depend on a certain dragon to know about the species.

I agree with calling two headed dragons splits. I have qualms against calling pygmies common pygmies.

Drake description could be something like:

Drakes are among the least intelligent dragon species and have fairly short attention spans. They are also good natured and usually friendly. All drakes possess antlers but do not possess any opposable digits. Like other dragons, they do not communicate verbally, although they are capable of producing a wide variety of sounds to  display emotion, and instead use telepathy to speak with each other and other creatures.

Just a starting point.

I don't like calling all of them, even the majority, "good-natured". Even the "usually friendly" bothers me. I have in mind an idea for my next DR thread to be a bunch of drakes, and quite a few of them would not be friendly.

idk, I just think that kind of description should be left to individual breeds, not all the drakes.

I think it should be something like:

Drakes are a subspecies of primitive dragons that branched off from their larger brethren (I think more should be here but idk). They are smaller than most dragons, ranging from the size of the small pygmies to the size of a large dog. They are less intelligent than their cousins, being on average about as smart as a dog or cat. Most drakes are easily trainable as a result, though they are known to have short attention spans. All drakes possess antlers but do not possess any opposable digits, and their wings consist of one true finger and several struts that run down the length of their tails. Like their relatives, they do not communicate verbally, although they are capable of producing a wide variety of sounds to display emotion, and instead use telepathy to speak with each other and other creatures.

I'm not sure if they can communicate telepathically? I didn't want to actually take out that sentence if that were the case. I guess they could have fairly simple telepathy, saying short phrases in that kind of "caveman" way that's depicted in media instead of more eloquent sentences like I imagine most of the dragons do. If they can, I would reword the sentence to be:

Like their relatives, they do not communicate verbally, but are capable of producing a wide variety of sounds to display emotion, and use [rudimentary/crude/basic/simple] telepathy to speak with each other and other creatures.

Also, I think we should allow a bit of lenience imo as far as size and intelligence. Personally I think it would be fine if they could get as big as the largest felines/canines, but I left it as "large dog"

EDIT: I liked the 'their relatives' herk used lol :P

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I'd always read it more like

Drakes are less intelligent than true dragons and have fairly short attention spans. They are also good natured and usually friendly. All drakes possess antlers but do not possess any opposable digits. Like their relatives, they do not communicate verbally, although they are capable of producing a wide variety of sounds to display emotion, and instead use telepathy to speak with each other and other creatures.

Not sure about the "telepathy" part, maybe a "primitive form of telepathy"?

I always took the difference in intelligence to be immense and TJ has stated somewhere that that difference was the main reason why dragons would never breed with drakes, because, you know, a person wouldn't be attracted to a pet that way.

ninja.gif 'd by Eef.

Edited by herk

I took those things straight out of the list of Drake characteristics in DR. However, I do know there was a discussion on loosening these restrictions and I'm still not completely sure on what the final say on that is/will be, which is why I said just a starting point.

I'm not completely sure about drake telepathy either, but I mean, the default description shows for drakes, too, so right now the site says they can. o.o

But yes! Edit away and improve the proposed base! 83 It's sounding better already! (I kinda like rudimentary because it's a good word that I don't see used much but primitive or any of the others work fine, too.)

I took those things straight out of the list of Drake characteristics in DR. However, I do know there was a discussion on loosening these restrictions and I'm still not completely sure on what the final say on that is/will be, which is why I said just a starting point.

I'm not completely sure about drake telepathy either, but I mean, the default description shows for drakes, too, so right now the site says they can. o.o

But yes! Edit away and improve the proposed base! 83 It's sounding better already! (I kinda like rudimentary because it's a good word that I don't see used much but primitive or any of the others work fine, too.)

Yeah, I realize it's a starting point. XD I'm really hoping some of the things could be relaxed. I do think drakes should stay fairly small and be much less intelligent, and I think antler and their unique wings need to be required. They have cool wings! Even if they can't have thumbs, I think the struts make for interesting structure, functioning in the place of fingers or just holding the base of the wing as a sort of stabilizer.

I think TJ was willing to be lenient on it but I don't really remember. All I remember was that so long as they were distinct enough and they were definitely small+less intelligent, it was fine. The size and less intelligence is what bars most breeding. I realize dragons greatly vary in size, but still. o3o

I'm still trying to figure out how to fix up the first sentence I did here:

Drakes are a subspecies of primitive dragons that branched off from their larger brethren.

It just seems...incomplete? There's almost too much and not enough at the same time. I like clarifying them being a subspecies of primitive dragons, because they are exactly that, but it seems too long and then the ending of the sentence just doesn't seem solid. :\ Oh well, it's for building off of, so I don't really care right now. :P

Mind if I try to reword that?

Drakes are a subspecies of primitive dragons that branched off from their larger brethren ages ago. They are smaller than most dragons, ranging from the size of the small pygmies to the size of a large dog. They are less intelligent than their cousins, being on average about as smart as a dog or cat. Most drakes are easily trainable as a result, though they are known to have short attention spans. All drakes possess antlers but do not possess any opposable digits, and their wings consist of one true finger and several struts that run down the length of their tails. Like their dragon relatives, they do not communicate verbally, but use a rudimentary form of telepathy to communicate their basic needs and desires. However, they are capable of producing a wide variety of sounds to display emotion or pain.

I really like this idea! I just hope that the Pygmy, Ochredrake, and Split descriptions don't need to be rewritten if this happens :3

Drakes are a subspecies of primitive dragons that branched off from their larger brethren ages ago. They are smaller than most dragons, ranging from the size of the small pygmies to the size of a large dog. They are less intelligent than their cousins, being on average about as smart as a dog or cat. Most drakes are easily trainable as a result, though they are known to have short attention spans. All drakes possess antlers but do not possess any opposable digits, and their wings consist of one true finger and several struts that run down the length of their tails. Like their dragon relatives, they do not communicate verbally, but use a rudimentary form of telepathy to communicate their basic needs and desires. However, they are capable of producing a wide variety of sounds to display emotion or pain.

I really like this. Except swap "convey" for "display", fourth word from the end.

Edited by wbmorgan

Okay, did that.