solarflare3000

Anti-abandon

I have abandoned many eggs, I'll admit. Now I think of the many eggs that get abandoned and how many of those eggs die before someone gets them. So, I started this, the Anti-abandon forum! Those who take the oath now will have promised never to abandon the eggs they claim and are encouraged to take eggs from the abandoned page.

Rules:

1) If you abandon an egg after taking the oath, the oath is considered broken and you are no longer an Anti-abandoner.

2) If you do have an egg you do not want, transfer it to someone who will want it rather than abandon it. If you do not have a magi dragon to do so, tell me or someone who has one and they can breed one and gift it.

Those who have taken the oath:

Solarflare3000

Gifters: A gifter is a person who gifts dragon eggs that they rescued from the abandoned page to other gifters or to someone who may want that species of egg.

To become a gifter, message me or another gifter and we may get you on the gifting list.

Current gifters:

Solarflare3000

Take the oath: I, *put username here*, hereby vow from this day forward never to again abandon a dragon egg to die.

To show that you have taken the oath, state in your signature that you have taken the oath. I don't have any banners at the current moment so if you have a banner for this PM with the banner and I will post it bellow.

you do know no eggs die from being abandoned because the AP rarely goes under 4 days

you do know no eggs die from being abandoned because the AP rarely goes under 4 days

This. And the fact that abandoning is part of a lot of people play-styles, so it's nearly impossible to avoid. I mean, under this oath I couldn't even abandon the common tinsel- and shimmerfails I get from breeding my lines, I definitely couldn't keep/gift all of them...

This. And the fact that abandoning is part of a lot of people play-styles, so it's nearly impossible to avoid. I mean, under this oath I couldn't even abandon the common tinsel- and shimmerfails I get from breeding my lines, I definitely couldn't keep/gift all of them...

This and besides which, i often pick up eggs from the AP to see what they are, if I find that they are something I want, i keep it and if not, back it goes. Taking an oath that would forbid abandoning would actually make me think twice about surfing the AP looking to see what I could find. I can't speak for others on that, though. It might, in fact, lead to more dragons dieing.

So...no, i wouldn't take this oath, though the intent is good.

This is false. I have abandoned an egg that never got grabbed and died without hatching.

Me neither.

I very often check AP lineages which may turn out to be lovely but not what I want. I also AP pretty eggs that turned out the wrong breed for my lineages - but which others might like. A lot of players never come to the forum at all, so this way they get a chance at pretties they would otherwise never see.

Eggs don't die in the AP, these days, anyway - worst case scenario they end up wild. I know this; eggs I have had that autod and that I had tried desperately to get back ended up wild - and perfectly happy.

Like this one, for instance:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/FNKeL

I'd have LOVED to get him back - look at his code. And several of us tried to catch him - but he ended up happy and wild.Not at all dead. smile.gif

ETA @Narvix - how long ago did yours die? With all these low time ones, I've not seen that happen in AGES.

I can't sign up to this - it would spoil my game and I honestly don;t see that it achieves anything..

Edited by fuzzbucket

This is false. I have abandoned an egg that never got grabbed and died without hatching.

how long ago was that

I've been here for just over a year and have never seen the AP below 2 days

Maybe someone caught it and killed it (possibly unintentionally, by biting or similar?)

Maybe someone caught it and killed it (possibly unintentionally, by biting or similar?)

This could very well be. I often use the AP to nab eggs for giving to my vampires and , once in a while, the bite fails. ALSO I think some people find Fodder for neglected experiments on the AP.

SO, it may be that it wasn't that no one grabbed it.

Given how many folks hide their scroll names it is hard to say, sometimes if an egg was grabbed or not. Some of mine have grown up and I don't know the new owner's name.

Edited by Silverswift

Good point. Because if an egg can HATCH, grow up and go wild without being picked up, how can any of them die ? I watched that egg of mine like a hawk, because I wanted it back, and of course I knew its code (it was bred for a lineage).

One of the hazards of dropping an egg in the AP are people who put them in a hatchery, then abandon. Those eggs may hatch and grow up without ever being seen in the AP, ending up as wild dragons.

That said, I am a regular AP breeder and hunter, and I will re-abandon eggs that are messy, inbred, even CBs that are already have a bunch of clicks. The eggs I breed are mostly PB 2nd gens, although I do sometimes breed the clean Prizes, just because. I also drop some arrowhead Shimmerkin and Tinselkin once in a while.

I cannot, in good conscience, take this oath.

How do you know it wasn't picked up?

Like I said in TLQ, I won't sign this. I love picking eggs up from the AP. It's where I've gotten at least half of my dragons. I'm always looking for special ones and for dragons for the Cave Plumbers project and other projects. Scroll Completion (not going on CB scroll completion yet) is great to do through the AP!

And I've gotten quite a lot of CB's through the AP, including a Vampire egg.

How would I do that if people wouldn't abandon their eggs?

Also, with holidays we have no choice. The multiclutch auto-AP gives us no choice in abandoning all but one egg. I know that doesn't play at the moment, but it is AP-ing the egg(s) without choice.

I agree with dragongrrl in saying:

Abandoning is just a part of the game for me...someone else might like the eggs I abandon.

Sometimes I just abandon eggs and someone picks them up and raises them. I also sometimes gift eggs, but gifting them is not always possible.

Like right now I've bitten an egg and it gotten repulsed and ended up on the AP. So I didn't have a choice really but to abandon that egg.

So I think I can't really take that oath either, since I sometimes just like dropping eggs to the AP and see who takes them.

Oh I don't think I can take this oath either, first because it's beyond my control (with multi breeding of holidays and auto-repulse of vampires) and secondly because I like to breed my metals, shimmers and hybrids to the AP to give nice eggs to those who enjoy AP hunting. So, to me, breed to AP is part of the game.

I've picked some amazing jewels from the AP, and if you check this thread, which is only 606 pages long at the time of this post, you'll realize people actually LOVE picking up abandoned jewels and people like breeding for the AP just to make other people happy.

Not to mention the consequences this could have if people signed up in mass, there would be many and not nice. I wonder if people take into account this variables before making up ideas such as this, it seems not.

Now I think of the many eggs that get abandoned and how many of those eggs die before someone gets them.

Just some facts:

1. The AP is sorting eggs and hatchlings roughly by time left, so that the eggs with the shortest time are always at the top, in the front.

2. Any egg that's below 4 days is instantly hatchable in any ER, thus picked up within less than a minute.

3. Any hatchling that shows up on the AP is instantly being collected.

Conclusion: the only dragons dying on the AP are those that are being abandoned mere seconds before they run out of time (how many people are doing that? I've never seen this happen), OR dragons that get too many views in hatcheries while being out of reach for AP hunters. But who would add an egg everywhere before abandoning it?

I think you are seeing a tragedy that's not actually there.

I think you are seeing a tragedy that's not actually there.

exactly. though this oath has a good meaning behind it, i don't think it will get many supporters ^^

Also if everyone stopped abandoning those not on the forums would not get a chance to find pretty lineages!

Yeah, even if I supported this, and I don't, how do you expect people to find recipients for that ultra-messy inbred super-common. They are a dime a dozen in the AP, you would be hard pressed to find someone willing to take it.

Truthfully, I don't think anyone is going to sign this oath. It's not to be rude or anything, but even if we weren't to abandon, those of us with Vampires who have the chance to auto-repulse eggs can't change the game to stop that mechanic from coming into play. Same with multi-clutches -- we can't keep all the eggs.

As Ruby Eyes said, hatchlings are picked up immediately (and so are ER eggs). It's a competition, more or less, to get hatchlings off the AP. As mentioned, some people like to breed to the AP to make others happy, and not everyone wants inbreds or messy lineages on their scroll.

I didn't read through the posts, so forgive me if something's already been said, but I think the action's name is making you think that abandoning is worse than it actually is. The AP is where a lot of people get the bulk of their dragons (including me). Virtually every egg that gets abandoned gets taken sooner or later, and cases of AP deaths are few and far between, especially since the change. On DC, abandoning doesn't mean "I don't want this so I'll leave it to die," but rather "I don't want this but maybe someone else will." Even super messy, highly inbred, commons will find a home after a few days in the AP.

That being said, I will never stop using the abandon action. I actively breed nice lineages to the AP on purpose, simply because I like fishing nice things from it, and so does everyone else. I honestly don't think anyone else will sign your oath either, for this very reason and others that have probably already been said.

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

I agree with the others. Not to mention that sometimes I pick up good eggs that I already have enough of and think it would be nice to let someone else have a chance at it.

I have only ever seen a dragon egg at below 2 days once! ONCE. It was nabbed very quickly. I saw a few 3-2 days left eggs but those are also quickly nabbed.

I agree with the above. The action says you leave your egg to die, but I don't think that happens hardly at all anymore. You're really giving other users a chance to pick up your egg. After all, 'one man's trash is another's treasure'.

I cannot take this oath. I have found wonderful eggs on the AP and I was very excited. If people stopped abandoning eggs, than that joy would be lost. It would be very hard for anyone to get other eggs that are lineaged.

I agree with dragongrrl when they said-

I don't think this oath will work out. I'm sorry.

Edited by slp0001

Could have been a neglected experiment.

This is impossible to achieve. There will be hundreds of people abandoning eggs. I abandon eggs all the time. Sometimes they get picked up, sometimes they don't. I abandon them because I hate wasting time in the forums trying to give them out. I have crappy lineages, and I kind of don't care to clean out my dragons. I got the dragons I wanted, all of the extra stuff doesn't really matter. (Though, if I have a nice enough lineage, which I do have those, I try to give them to people directly.)

Also, I have picked up plenty of nice eggs from there. Most of my dragons were abandoned. This picture perfect idea isn't very great or helpful.

Edited by HeartJacker13

I didn't read through the posts, so forgive me if something's already been said, but I think the action's name is making you think that abandoning is worse than it actually is. The AP is where a lot of people get the bulk of their dragons (including me). Virtually every egg that gets abandoned gets taken sooner or later, and cases of AP deaths are few and far between, especially since the change. On DC, abandoning doesn't mean "I don't want this so I'll leave it to die," but rather "I don't want this but maybe someone else will." Even super messy, highly inbred, commons will find a home after a few days in the AP.

That being said, I will never stop using the abandon action. I actively breed nice lineages to the AP on purpose, simply because I like fishing nice things from it, and so does everyone else. I honestly don't think anyone else will sign your oath either, for this very reason and others that have probably already been said.

This. The AP is not a cruel place to put your dragons, it's an opportunity for other players who want them to pick them up. No matter the dragon's lineage, another player out of the hundreds of users out there are likely to want it. If you don't want an egg, and don't abandon it, that's just an egg taking up a space on your scroll that another player could give a loving home to. Dragons rarely die in the AP - and normally get picked up before they reach 4 days. Not to be rude, but there's no point in taking this oath. It is an action that is used way too much, and does benefit the game in more than one way.