Sarah864

Taking, Trading, Killing, And Abandoning Gifts

What do you think about people taking multiple eggs off the gifted threads? How about when you gift an egg and it ends up in the AP, killed, released, frozen or zombified? And don't forget about gifted eggs being traded away. There seems to be an unspoken taboo about these kinds of things and this is the place where you can discuss and share your experiences.

I'll start, personally I view a trade or gift being completed once the link is used. Anything the receiver chooses to do is none of my concern. However, I tend to only gift my lineaged dragons on the breeding forum where I know they'll be kept and bred with other pretty lineages. sleep.gif

It depends:

When I gift something in a departure thread I don't care what the giftees do with them. I just like to know who took them. Then they can trade or regift them if they like.

I'm just sad when I see they are killed: if you didn't want it, why did you take it? That's why I sometimes say "please no killing or biting" when gifting an egg.

On the other hand, when I gift something after a specific request, like a certain lineage in the breeding gifting thread, I expect the giftee to need that dragon. So I'd hate to see it traded away. I'd find it very rude (but I think it never happened to me).

Exceptions are when they advice the gift will be regifted / used to fulfill a IOU

Edited by Iside

I honestly don't mind if someone takes it, so long as they give it a good home, but... by the same token, it gets irritating when you continue to follow the rules (I'm speaking mostly of the "Take an Egg, Leave an Egg" thread) and others simply disregard them.

It'd be nice if when someone takes your eggs on that thread that they give back, which unfortunately doesn't happen often. I find it sad, because the least someone can do is go through the AP and look for a nice egg or breed something and offer it. It's not that difficult...

Edited by MokiHunter

I usually don't track down the eggs I give away, so I don't know what people have been doing with them. I don't really mind it, sure it's awful if you kill a dragon that maybe someone else would appreciate, but it's part of the game I guess. And some people are mean anyway.

When I gift someone something I expect them to use it in whatever way they see as most suitable: e.g. regift/retrade etc. If you kill a CB metal I gave to you, well that's your choice. (and kinda also your loss but I'm not complaining) tongue.gif It's yours after all ^^

When I trade someone something, it's up to them to use it whatever way they want. It's yours after all ^^

I would, however, be somewhat upset if someone retraded a 2g baby from Lady Prydonian, if they asked to be added to the list and received it for free (as in most cases) because that slot that a person occupied could have been taken by someone who used it in lineages, etc. This is especially since said lineage is not easily duplicated, leading to an advantage in what people can and cannot ask for when trading. That policy, however, has already been specified in written terms in my profile (and it's assumed that you've agreed to it when you PM'd me regarding it) and I have not had anyone contravene it to my knowledge. (If you did contravene it, I really don't want to know about it.)

I make a small distinction between what is gifted/traded and what people have requested for free from one specific dragon on my scroll. (Would not be upset at all if someone retraded a dragon from any other dragon on my scroll.)

Edited by DarkEternity

I don't track what they do to them, so it really doesn't matter to me much. However, trading a gift is just tacky, you can do it, I won't watch over who gets what to begin with, I just think it is a little rude. Regifting is perfectly ok however, I see nothing wrong with that.

Freezing is ok. Killing I will assume is a mistake until proven otherwise(getting the wrong egg, forgetting that egg wasn't added to fansites, lost your internet, etc.) or have been notified beforehand(for neglecteds, zombies, and vampires) that that is what they want it for.

Edited by Nectaris

I don't follow up on what people do with eggs I gift or trade to people. I always really enjoy when I find the egg has been treasured and enjoyed though. Sometimes people will gift back an offspring or even grandbaby of an egg I've gifted and that's special.

For myself, if I'm given an egg I keep it, regardless. If it's from a trade, I specify if the trade is intended to go to someone else. To me that's just appreciation for the trade or gift. That's my stand, but I have no problem if others have a different view.

Honestly - I never check. Once the egg is off my scroll, it's no longer mine to worry about. The only thing that rustles my jimmies is people who take an egg and never comment that they took it. And even then...it only mildly irks me.

I gift al0t in the 'take an egg, leave an egg thread', I don't usually mind what people do with the egg I gift there. But I do prefer then to name the dragons, what really annoys me however is when inconsiderate people just take an egg and don't bother to leave anything or let me know they took it! It's quite rude! I leave nice eggs for HONEST people, not the rejects who lie and steal!

But overall I don't really mind them doing what they like to the eggs.

Nothing worse than gift abuse, IMO. Especially when they're released. The first egg from my proper Water x Old Pink checker I put in departures, it got picked up--and then the tart released it! And someone who asked me to breed them some Winters released them! Seriously, the rudeness of some people...

I also find it very annoying when someone promises to name a gift--often a really nice one, like a 2g Metal--and then never does.

Once I trade an egg it's yours. You can do whatever you want with it.

Gifting from the other side, I'm more fussy about. Generally, I'll accept most of the things you do. Yes, I'll be sad if you kill it release it; especially since that egg could have gone to somebody who would keep it and cherish it.

But trading my gifts? if I catch someone doing that I'd never gift them again.

I don't track what they do to them.  To me, trading a gift is just tacky, you can do it, I won't watch over who gets what to begin with, I just think it is a little rude.  Regifting is perfectly ok however, I see nothing wrong with that.

Mmm, this. Though I view gifting directly to a specific person as rather different to tossing a TP link on a thread. The former implies personal consideration and effort on my part, the latter is really only a step above AP'ing. And if I gifted something to someone via either method and they asked me about re-gifting or trading, I wouldn't have any problems. I'm not daft, I can see that what someone might get by trading a gift could be of more use/worth to them than the original gift. And life is too short to go back-checking bred eggs to see if they all stayed put.

Buuuut... what DarkEternity said about eggs from Lady Prydonian (except it'd be Luckiest Catch for me) - eggs from her of any type are in such demand that I *would* be kind of narked if those were traded on without prior arrangement (i.e., *before* I handed over an egg). And that's only because those eggs are in such demand that if one person doesn't want or need it, I only have to turn around to find another who will treasure it or need it for a tricky lineage.

As to freezing/biting/neglecting/killing/zombifying - Mostly I don't mind. Most of those (except killing, other than for Zombies) imply that the new owner is still interested in keeping the dragon/lineage, just with a different sprite. 'S fine by me, knock yourself out! (<3 seeing NDs in progeny lists!) Killing that isn't a zombie attempt would sadden me, but as much as it's that person's right to kill the dragon on their scroll, it's *my* right to decide to never give them anything ever again. wink.gif

For any egg I've traded, I absolutely do not care what the new owner does with it. Though if they deliberately kill it without it being a Zombie attempt, I'd probably not want to trade with them again.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Depature threads are fair game, I honestly don't mind anything people can do with/to eggs I post there. It sure is nice to say thank you though wink.gif

Personal gifts and requests are mostly fair game. Kill, neglect, abandon, bite, regift, freeze, release, no name, zombifying - I don't mind. But if I see you trade it, I will not gift you again. The chances that I'll catch you are slim though, I gift too much to really keep track.

Edited by blah

I don't track what happens to the eggs I trade. Unless they're the child of one of my dragons, then I tend to see their new names on my dragon's page but I don't really do anything with them. Though, if I were to gift someone a dragon, I'd be upset to find out they killed it, neglected/bit it, abandoned, or traded it. But that's only because I'd gift a user who didn't have any of those dragons at all and really wanted them because they wanted to have one.

So it's less "I want control of what happens to what I trade away" and more "Don't lie to me and say you want this dragon when you just want it for something else."

Depends on what kind of gift it is, but in general I'm okay with almost anything. In addition to that, I think once an egg is off your scroll, the new owner is actually allowed to do anything with it, so I can't complain.

When I gift in a thread, I'm okay with any action applied to the dragon. So yes, basically, if I post a freebie and someone trades it for something, kills it, releases it or whatever, it's alright.

When I send someone a personal gift, I'm fine with freezing, biting, neglecting and zombifying. Retrading or regifting is alright with me if I am aware of it in advance and gift the egg/hatchling for that very purpose. Releasing/abandoning doesn't really make sense to me in that situation, but I wouldn't throw a tantrum unless it was meant to be a unique lineage created for that person specifically, I guess. Killing on purpose via the kill action doesn't sound right to me, so yeah, I'd be a bit miffed if that happened to my gift, but that's not a disaster either - in all honesty in that case I'd be interested in hearing why they did it. =P

No matter what kind of gift it is, it's absolutely not important to me whether the dragon is named or not, and whether it's bred to anything or not (if it reaches adulthood).

But if something I do not appreciate happened to a dragon I gifted, I don't think I'd get seriously mad or anything. Usually I do not even check what happens to them in the first place, truth to be told. *coughs* xd.png

Normally I don't take any gift dragons from departure threads, unless I really need a partcular one for my collection. When it comes to gifts sent to me privately, I will keep any on my scroll, but I've frozen gifts before, have to admit (I don't see anything wrong in freezing and from time to time apply that action to dragons that I like but that do not fit into my scroll goals). I don't bite dragons anymore and neglect/zombify only CB dragons, but if I suddenly needed to do so with a gift, I'd ask for permission before attempting to do so.

(However, when it comes to trading, whenever I receive a dragon via trade, I feel entitled to do absolutely *anything* with it, unless agreed otherwise in advance with the previous owner.)

I really don't think you should trade a gift. Yes, once an egg is onto another users' scroll it is theirs and they can do whatever they want with it, but it is just another one of those "unspoken rules". You need to respect what the original owner said about the gift whether it is no killing/neglecting/abandoning/naming/ect. However, if the owner said it was okay to trade away/kill and it was something valuable to most people and most would enjoy having then just don't take it. Because if you're already planning on trading it, then do you really need it? I think someone else would rather have enjoyed it much, much more. Especially if it's someone that can probably never get anything like it ever. A gift is meant to be free so maybe keep it that way?

Regifting I find absolutely fine and I fully support it because the person who's going to regift it to a friend/family member will know them pretty well to know that they will definitely appreciate the gift.

To an extent and certain situations, I am usually fine with people reviving/biting/neglecting my gifts (if they neglect I would be more at ease if they knew how to experiment, if not I'm more than willing to help them out and teach them the basics). I am NEVER okay with them purposely trying to kill/abandon/trade off any of my gifts.

This is just my views on what people do with gifts and what they should do with them. It does not reflect what I think about trades/freezing/what one caught on own/ect.

Wow. Didn't think this thread would start up this fast *sends thanks to Ha-Ki*. Since everyone has written a lot or with great conviction I guess I should add more. When I joined in August 2013 I didn't know anything about the unspoken rule. I would grab different departure eggs and trade them altogether for something rare. Thankfully I learned fast and stopped doing that but I guess because of it I honestly don't mind if people trade my gifts. Most of the eggs I put on departure are because of limited egg space and would otherwise go to the AP. Even if I could trade it for something valuable I wouldn't because I just don't want to invest the time. However, what bothers me instead is when people breed my pretty lineaged (I don't care about the caveborns) dragons with messys >:@ . I also get slightly irked when people take multiple rare eggs, one after the other, on the gifting threads and don't leave anything in return. I mean REALLY. I don't mind if people don't tell me they take a gift though as I sometimes don't do so myself since my scroll isn't hidden.

Hmmm, an experience I had was when someone on the breeding forum offered to gift me an egg (I don't know who so many awesome breeders have done that to me) and I insisted she/he take something in return. I ended up giving a green opal, back when green opals were rare, and she PMed me back apologizing because she/he couldn't resist a trade for it. I was surprised because I didn't think it mattered once it was off my scroll, especially since I didn't say anything beforehand but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry? Idk, I didn't mind I was just surprised she/he told me xd.png

Edited by Sarah864

The only thing that annoys me is when people pick up gifts without saying a word. Everything else I'm fine with, when the egg leaves my scroll it's up to the new owner to do what they want with it.

When I leave a gift somewhere, I would hope that only someone who really wanted it would take it, even if it is be used in a trade or re-gifted. That's okay, because in the end, it still ends up with someone who wanted it.

Killing a gift is disappointing, but I know that some people have a compulsion to bite lovely lineages. I don't understand this quirk, but I know it exists. cool.gif When I see a dead gift I generally either apply the Vampire theory, or feel sad that maybe someone got busy and wasn't able to attend to their scroll as usual. I have re-gifted siblings of killed dragons to folks who have approached me about the issue.

Abandoning a gift is bordering into rude territory. An attempt to re-gift should be made. But to grab a gift, abandon it only to grab another, that's an unkindness to other players who may have wanted that gift and to the person doing the gifting.

The most inexcusable sin in my book is releasing a gift. I would rather the dragon ended up dead than wild on any day.

Thing is, although I *would* be irked if someone traded a gift I gave them, my gifting habits are such that I doubt it's very likely to happen to me, really. smile.gif I breed pretty lineages for those who have specifically asked for them, or I try to surprise people with a wish-list item. And I almost never use gifting or departure threads, but if I do and I care in the slightest about the egg I'm offering then I request people PM me for it. So I'm happy, hopefully the people who get eggs are happy and prickly situations fail to arise. tongue.gif

I don't honestly consider posting a link in a departure or gifting thread as giving a gift. It's only one small step above hitting abandon to me. So whatever happens to those eggs is of complete indifference to me. Wanna grab and bite? Trade it? Whatever? Go for it.

Even in the Take an Egg/ Give an Egg thread where I tend to drop pretty nice stuff I don't feel I can say what they should do once it's theirs.

As I said earlier, I don't track my dragons' offspring, so I wouldn't know even if I bred something specifically for someone and they bit/abandoned/traded it. I might be a bit miffed if I knew about it, but I probably never will.

Once an egg leaves your scroll, it's not yours. What someone chooses to do with their gift is up to them, it doesn't bother me. I'm gifting out of the goodness of my heart or to help others, and if what they wish to do with the egg means it may die or get abandoned, well, that's up to them.

If I get a gift in real life, I'm allowed to give it to the thrift store if I decide it's not for me. I'm allowed to pass it on to my sister if she likes it and I don't really see a need for it. I'm allowed to re-purpose it.

I understand getting attached to our dragons and hoping for a certain standard to be followed and if someone gifted me and asked that I name it or not abandon it, I would respect that and follow it (if I wanted the gift and didn't decline it - no, I've never had to nor wanted to decline a gift), but once a dragon leaves your scroll it isn't yours anymore, so the most you can ever do is ask for people to follow your request. Tbh, I stay away from a lot of the gifting and departure threads because of all the strings attached to taking dragons. I'm not likely to bite/abandon/kill anything I pick up (although I also find naming hard, so I'm not likely to name many things either), but it just feels like there's a lot of pressure on taking the egg, so I might as well just try and catch or breed whatever it is myself. xP

However, just as it's anyone's right to do whatever they want with their own dragons (within DC rules ie no inappropriate names), it's also anyone's right to list their list of requests of what a new owner do or do not do with the dragon they are gifting.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't usually track what people do with the dragons I give them, except the ones I gift for the Peppermint Effect lineage. And, other than that one where I would appreciate if it is named and be pleased if they continue the line, I don't really care what people do.

I always try to name and take care of dragon's I'm gifted, just as a matter of politeness.

Well said although it sucks when rares are bitten

Aw but biting rares is fun!

I don't mind it if someone re-gifts, bites, or neglects something I give them (personally I think Vampires and Neglecteds are more fun) but it irritates me when they trade them away. I know it's technically not my dragon anymore, but I still consider it rude..