hazeh

Oh, We're Halfway There

Here's the OOC thread for Meet Me Halfway, the halfling/ wereanimal roleplay.

This is where we talk and junk about the roleplay. If you have any questions pertaining to the roleplay, please feel free to drop them here for discussion. We'll also discuss plot points and developments together here. c:

Like always, be nice, respectful, and make sure you're always keeping up with chatter in the OOC, since we will address each other directly here and not in the main thread.

Whoops, sorry it took me so long to finally post. I have finals this week and haven't had a chance to sit down and write. ;n;

xd.png Don't worry about it. We're all a little busier around this time of year.

There she is. It's a little shorter than I would have liked, but I have some things to do today.

And your introductory post looks fine. smile.gif

Looks good to me, guys. c:

Now that finals are over, I should be able to be more active.

Also, thanks for the heads up Drow!

Alright Christmas is coming up and I'll be able to post just don't expect them to be super long I'll do my best but I don't want to bail on you guys so...

Glad to have more people on board biggrin.gif

Also, I was wondering (and wanted to see what you guys think):

Should I make a tweak to the rules/roleplay to where halflings will be able to know who is and who isn't halfling? I was thinking maybe a scent based detection. And if we work that in, then perhaps Hunters would have to use some sort of olfactory radar, such as a bloodhound or something.

We can also brainstorm other things for that, too. I was just thinking that it might get a little difficult with interactions if there was absolutely no way to tell halflings from regular humans, other than the transformation (which obviously, most halflings wouldn't do in the presence of other people).

Scent would seem like the easiest form of detection. Perhaps a human scent mixed in with the scent of the respective animal. i.e. for my character Lucas his scent would be human but with a tinge of something different; a lion. Which is not native to San Francisco. His scent would stand out.

Ofcourse if the breed type is a common household pet or an animal common to the area i.e. a Pigeon/crow then it could still be confusing. Say a Dalmation Halfling could be mistaken for a normal human that has a dalmation that loves to climb all over him.

Detection by sight perhaps? An animal crest birthmark on some part of their body? Like the head of the respective animal or the footprint?

I would say do the scent thing...the confusion could be funny xd.png Plus an animal mark seems a bit cliche in my book.

Or maybe you couldn't tell what animal they were, just that they were a bit 'different'?

Could also have a sound thing.. much like how a dog whistle affects dog... have a halfling whistle that causes discomfort in halflings.

I'm not sure about the sound, because I don't think halflings would be intentionally making that sound, especially if hunters had technology that could detect that sound. I'm playing a little with the idea of a marking, but again I feel like that's too easy to hide, or on the other hand would stick out TOO much and be too conspicuous.

So far I like the idea of the scent the best. My thoughts were that the scent would just be different, since I'm sure most people don't know what a lion or what particular animals smell like xd.png And I like the idea of having confusion over household animal scents.

Scent does seem like the easiet to incorporate... Taste perhaps? The hunters can go around licking people/suspected halflings? lol.

How about a frequency emiting device that sort of forces a transformation?

Hey all. I just wanted to say hi cuz I'm the new kid on the block. I'm so excited to start RPing with you!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all. I just wanted to say hi cuz I'm the new kid on the block. I'm so excited to start RPing with you!!!!!!!!!!!

Right back at ya smile.gif

I thought the sound idea was like: Hunters go around blowing massive whistles that really hurt the halfling's ears when they listen to them etc...not the halflings emitting the sound. Though taste would be freaking hilarious xd.png

I think halflings should hve a slightly different, more natural way of detecting each other than the hunters. Like, the halflings can smell each other, but then the hunters have some weird smellometer thing which beeps when there is a halfling present.

Or I guess there could be no real way, and they could grab suspicious people (there's gotta be some clues right?) and shove them under a lie detector. Maybe the hunters are really important government type people who have access to all the cameras in the city, so can monitor suspicious areas and get images of suspect people etc.

Or we could do a kind of halfling catnip xd.png

EDIT: I know the catnip was a joke, but what about some kinda gas which for some reason chemically makes the halflings terrified, so they run for it, drawing attention to themselvses so the hunters can just chase them down?

Edited by Emeraldmay

I was thinking for the scent thing, most hunters would be old fashioned and have trained dogs (or monkeys, Idk) that can detect the scent of a halfling. That way they look a little inconspicuous when they're going around ("Oh, just walking my dog/monkey/rat") instead of having some weirdo beeping thing whenever they pass someone.

Although, I wouldn't mind having a sound thing too if the hunters have a certain whistle that could hurt their ears. The halflings obviously wouldn't use sounds (they detect by scent alone if they don't come from the same Clan), but they're still susceptible to the whistle. Maybe when they're exposed to the whistle for too long, they'd be in danger of going through epileptic fits, so they run for cover whenever the whistle blows? And then the mansion/dens/safe zones are sound proof so they try to scramble for safety as fast as possible.

Epileptic fits might trigger transformation....?

I think the sound idea is really cool. And I like the idea of the epileptic fits triggering transformation. I think the scent detection idea is interesting too, but the sound one just seems cooler to me.

In other news, I just completed my first post smile.gif I hope it's okay!

Me? blink.gif

Well, before I post, I think I want to get the identification process solidified and put in on the original post so that we all have something to go off of for the rest of the role play.

What does everyone think? Scent for halflings (and hunters can take advantage of this), and then a certain whistle's pitch will irritate halflings and can possible induce seizures if exposed for too long (and thus could potentially trigger transformation? keep in mind it would have to be a pretty long exposure to the sound for that to happen)?

Doesn't have to specifically be a whistle, just something capable of producing a high enough frequency like a dog whistle.

Just waiting on Katerina to catch up with Azet and Hozuki's contributions to their gathering.

Will probably do my next Jonah post when I do the Lucas post.

Me? blink.gif

Well, before I post, I think I want to get the identification process solidified and put in on the original post so that we all have something to go off of for the rest of the role play.

What does everyone think? Scent for halflings (and hunters can take advantage of this), and then a certain whistle's pitch will irritate halflings and can possible induce seizures if exposed for too long (and thus could potentially trigger transformation? keep in mind it would have to be a pretty long exposure to the sound for that to happen)?

Sounds great to me smile.gif