angelicdragonpuppy

Allow dead dragons to be 'renamed'

Exactly what it says on the box. It's really frustrating that right now, there seems to be absolutely no way to reclaim names from our own dead dragons. With Halloween coming up, I've been giving my zombie fodder things fun "epitaph" names, but should those attempts fail I would really, really like to be able to reclaim them at some point. Whereas I know that right now, names on deceased things never seem to vanish, much less have a way to remove them ourselves.

It doesn't... a dragon that disappeared off my scroll a few days ago is still holding its name, and a famously dead CB Holly named Santa has kept his name despite being dead for months now. :/

Haha, that's sweet. Kind of, if you disregard the frustration involved.

On topic: I don't see why there should be actually renaming involved. Because you're probably going to just delete the name, right? So just freeing up the name will be more logical, in my opinion. What do you think? Why did you suggest renaming instead of just freeing the name? Maybe I'm not thinking about this in the right way.

Well, see--dead dragons used to lose their names. But then they stopped doing so, which means TJ changed it for some reason... perhaps so dragons killed by people who quit keep their names in the lineages of their offspring? I've really no idea. But I thought giving people who wanted to the option remove the names of their own dead things might be more appealing than suggesting all dead dragons have their names wiped, because, as mentioned--it used to be that way and TJ changed it. ;___; Personally I'd like to see all dead names wiped so they can be recycled, but I think that's already being discussed elsewhere.

Oh, I see. I'm not really sure what to say on that. The option to remove names on dead dragons would be nice, but that sounds sort of inconsistent with the rest of the site. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you know.

It doesn't... a dragon that disappeared off my scroll a few days ago is still holding its name, and a famously dead CB Holly named Santa has kept his name despite being dead for months now. :/

Isn't this Santa fellow a Zombie? If so, that's why his page even exists anymore. I'll check back later to see if he shows up with the Zombie sprite.

I would dead dragons would just dissapear like they used to and not have names, but I'm probably the only one with this opinion haha. Removing the names would be great, renaming the dead is better than nothing though ... I guess. e.e And I'm going to name this dead dragon Lucky!!!!!!1111oneoneone"

Isn't this Santa fellow a Zombie? If so, that's why his page even exists anymore. I'll check back later to see if he shows up with the Zombie sprite.

I'm pretty sure he's not, as he was first noticed as being dead nowhere near Halloween.

Edit: Yah, Santa died on Jan. 21st, 2013, and TJ's confirmed Zombies can only be made on Halloween. :/

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Well, see--dead dragons used to lose their names. But then they stopped doing so, which means TJ changed it for some reason... perhaps so dragons killed by people who quit keep their names in the lineages of their offspring? I've really no idea. But I thought giving people who wanted to the option remove the names of their own dead things might be more appealing than suggesting all dead dragons have their names wiped, because, as mentioned--it used to be that way and TJ changed it. ;___; Personally I'd like to see all dead names wiped so they can be recycled, but I think that's already being discussed elsewhere.

I think it was due to the way TJ changed dead dragons to act so they didn't completely disappear, which I think was ultimately to change the way deadlines worked because TJ didn't like that they were like lying about a dragon's lineage. The question is whether or not it was intended behavior.

I think it'd be nice to at least re-name if the names won't disappear. Especially considering Santa was killed so people could follow the name and someone could nab it when it finally freed up, lol.

Nope. It was a holly owned by Cheeze when he went inactive and decided to just fully quit. Since he was an early player he had some wanted names and he decided to kill Santa so people who were really dedicated would follow and get it rather than just giving it away in IRC (where this was happening).

He could've just left it up to whoever noticed the name had freed up first instead of, y'know, impacting the lineages of everyone who owned a baby from such a rare dragon. But whatever. e___e

Since dead dragons retain their codes, it should still be very possible to keep their pages around without keeping the names, so I still think names should be wiped. Should I change the OP to reflect this?

If that's the case, then why hasn't his page gone away yet? I'm a tad confused about the whole thing. Is the Santa dragon coded differently than all the others?

If that's the case, then why hasn't his page gone away yet? I'm a tad confused about the whole thing. Is the Santa dragon coded differently than all the others?

No, all dead dragons keep their names indefinitely now. Which is why I suggested this. ;___;

No, all dead dragons keep their names indefinitely now. Which is why I suggested this. ;___;

Ah, I see. That is a dumb new rule.

How about you don't name your zombie fodder? Zombies CAN be named, so all you have to do is name your successes. If you want to save the names, unname them right before you kill them and if the revive succeeds name them again.

I'll verify that zombies can be named after midnight tonight.

Well, part of the problem is that not everyone knows names aren't disappearing when a dragon is killed. If this isn't something that can be changed or something users find themselves not wanting, we should at least add some kind of noticeable warning when killing dragons that it won't cause them to lose their names. Not all dragons killed are being killed for zombie fodder. o3o

How about you don't name your zombie fodder? Zombies CAN be named, so all you have to do is name your successes. If you want to save the names, unname them right before you kill them and if the revive succeeds name them again.

They can be renamed. I have re-named some of my hatchling Zombies, because I noticed a typo in their names.

How about you don't name your zombie fodder?  Zombies CAN be named, so all you have to do is name your successes.  If you want to save the names, unname them right before you kill them and if the revive succeeds name them again.

Two reasons:

1) If I'm going to be stuck with a dozen tombstones on my scroll for two weeks, I'd rather they be amusingly-titled "scroll decorations" than codes reminding me of my failure.

2) As Sock mentioned, not all dragons being killed are being used for zombie fodder. The idea of sticking names permanently to dead dragons just isn't really a good one at all; things long dead will never have those names freed up again, and as Xeyla mentioned, people might kill a dragon without realizing they can't reclaim its name. I had a 2nd gen Tinsel bred from a mate that I was allowed to pick the name for. It refused the Tinsel, however, so the owner killed it (rather humorously) and gave the name to another one. Now imagine if this system had been in place then... there goes the name down the drain, because there was no warning it'd not be recoverable... :/

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I have nothing to do with zombies and was not aware that something changed so dead dragons keep their names. I'm trying to figure out wth purpose that serves?? Can't find any reason to NOT support this thread!!

Yeah, I agree that they should be renameable at least, if the name wipe can't be reinstated. I dislike that they stick around now, but even if the dragon itself stays there's no reason for the NAME to remain locked forever.

I have been going along thinking that these changes were made to be able to keep the info in the database for future use (as the author of the OP wanted).

But now I read Socky saying that TJ has altered the deadlines for a different reason.... Major suckedness if so.

As others have done I would suggest leaving the naming until after the revival - maybe using naming holders if needed.

I would very much prefer to have this instead of a reinstated auto-wipe. And for totally selfish reasons, as I'm working on a lineage that depends on tombstones keeping their names.

Also because more choice is always better smile.gif

It makes sense. If I decided if I didn't like a dragon and killed it I attended want to use that name on a different dragon.