kadoatie

Account settings: more options for scroll view

Would people like to be able to show adults/frozens and hide growing things, just as we can in reverse now ?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Currently, we have these options under account settings:

Hide Scroll:

Prevents others from seeing your public page. Your /user/ page will appear as if your account does not exist.

Hide adults on scroll:

Displays only eggs and unfrozen hatchlings on your /user/ page.

and they're useful options. What I propose is that we add other options that would extend the conveniences these provide for other reasons:

1. Hide adults on account page (the /account/ page visible only to the scroll owner)

Benefits: users with slow connections/slow picture loading and hundreds of dragons have extremely slow loading times for their own /account/ pages, but do not need to see all those dragons every time they want to view, for example, their eggs/hatchlings. My own scroll - I'm pushing 800 dragons - has frozen my browser uncountable times.

Negatives: ?

2. Hide eggs and unfrozen hatchlings on your /user/ page

[should probably include a notice displayed prominently on the user's scroll page, stating "This user has chosen to hide their non-adult dragons" or something like that whenever the option is on to prevent abuse]

Benefits: I note that many users choose not to show their scroll name because they see problems associated with strangers finding out the eggs they abandoned/want are on that scroll. For example, others may post eggs intentionally held into ER (neglected experiments, non-lock, extending time for transferring), maliciously overpost their rare eggs, pester a user who intercepted a trade, etc. Using this option, these people would then be able to show their adults only and leave the fragile eggs/hatchlings hidden.

Personally, I love seeing who owns which of my dragons' adult children or dragons with beautiful names or amazing lineages smile.gif

3. Show scroll name only for adults

Benefits: same as #2

These would work the same way the existing options work; the affected dragons would just disappear while the option is turned on. They would be options and therefore completely voluntary.

Thoughts? n__n I can't judge problems with my own ideas that well - if you have some major negatives in mind, please bring them up!

How about checkboxes:

Show username on:

☑ Eggs

☑ Hatchlings

☐ Frozen Hatchlings

☐ Adults

Display on Scroll:

☐ Eggs

☑ Hatchlings

☑ Frozen Hatchlings

☑ Adults

Edited by Pokemonfan13

If you hide the adults on your own scroll, how do you get to them, then? Like, if you want to breed or use a BSA? Would you have to unhide them all?

Yeah I would think it would be annoying having to hide/unhide your adult dragons all the time in order to use a BSA. Maybe a better option would be similar to what someone else suggested--a separate link only for your eggs and unfrozen hatchlings. You could just visit that link to check up on them, and then just go to your normal account page to use your adult dragons.

How about just "turn off images?" That way all the text loads, but not the sprites, perhaps with the name of the breed in place (in case you don't know all your dragons by name).

If you hide the adults on your own scroll, how do you get to them, then? Like, if you want to breed or use a BSA? Would you have to unhide them all?

If it's a question to me, I access most of my dragons by typing their names after view/n/ as an adaptation to slow scroll loading times.

In general - it's voluntary, I suppose, and I support the option for a short scroll link as well :3

How about just "turn off images?" That way all the text loads, but not the sprites, perhaps with the name of the breed in place (in case you don't know all your dragons by name).

I have tried, but the text and layout alone is still capable of crashing the browser or the page simply doesn't load at all on laggy days. You would then also have to turn images back on whenever leaving the scroll.

Does anyone have any objections about the 2nd and 3rd?

I really liked idea #1 - until I read the other posts regarding BSA. Makes sense. smile.gif

I think tabs (maybe?) or "pages" would work better though since you can choose which adults to show up on your regular account page, and hide the rest of your adults on other pages.

I have tried, but the text and layout alone is still capable of crashing the browser or the page simply doesn't load at all on laggy days. You would then also have to turn images back on whenever leaving the scroll.

I meant as an "account settings" feature.

I had something similar in mind, when I just thought of opening a new thread. Instead I decided to do another forum search - and found this fairly new thread where I can just add my idea.

First of all: I really like all three ideas posted by kadoatie!

I own more than 200 dragons (silver trophy - yay) and it gets a bit on my nerves to always load all of them, if I just want to check on my eggs and hatchlings. That is just what kadoatie states in idea no. 1.

But originally I thought of something else:

what if one could "hide" (or just "not display") adults/frozen hatchlings, but still have an option to show a link/button/whatever on ones page saying "show all dragons".

In my opinion this could be useful for both loading my own scroll (/account) or that of others (who enabled this function) with the /user/ link.

More detailed:

I think of an option that would set the default scroll view to either "with" or "without" adults/frozen hatchlings.

So everytime I view my /account page I would start only with my eggs and growing hatchlings. And somewhere on top of the page would be a link or button stating "show adults/frozen hatchlings". If I click this link/button I get to see my whole scroll, now showing a link/button with "hide adults/frozen hatchlings". If I use this, I get back to the first view option etc.

As I said, the same could be applied to the /user/ page.

I personally don't mind to show my whole scroll to other people. So far I haven't had any problems...

But I think it is not very nice for my friends to have to load my complete scroll, if they just want to give my eggs some views. But I also don't want to completely hide my adults. Maybe one or two of those friends would like to see what adults I have. So for them it could be convenient to have that link/button, too.

Of course, this should be just an additional option - I am aware that other people have other preferences.

And maybe my idea needs a little bit of elaborating.

What do you think?

This is an old topic, but I'm bumping it.

I would really like the option of only having certain dragons on my scroll be visible to the public. I'd like to have certain eggs and hatchlings (not always all of them), certain frozen hatchlings and certain adults to be visible. The rest I would like hidden from the public. It may seem odd, but I just want my scroll to show my magis, a few frozens, and things I'm willing to trade. The only option I can choose is to hide my adults.

I think a I think something under account settings ( that is, click the link "account settings") there should be another clickable option "manage viewable dragons"

This would conjure up a complete list of of your dragons, each with a checkmark box. On the top of the page should be mass options such as "frozen hatchlings", "male adults", "female adults", etc. I dunno if somsone else would like this or not, but I would find it useful for keeping certain dragons out of view.

I would also find the options to: hide these dragons, but still have them viewable is someone has a link to them or: hide the dragons completely to where even the code will not work "you cannot find the dragon you are looking for" very useful.

I would really find the "complete hide" option useful especially for lineage named dragons you are not finished naming yet, or holiday dragons.

2. Hide eggs and unfrozen hatchlings on your /user/ page

[should probably include a notice displayed prominently on the user's scroll page, stating "This user has chosen to hide their non-adult dragons" or something like that whenever the option is on to prevent abuse]

Benefits: I note that many users choose not to show their scroll name because they see problems associated with strangers finding out the eggs they abandoned/want are on that scroll. For example, others may post eggs intentionally held into ER (neglected experiments, non-lock, extending time for transferring), maliciously overpost their rare eggs, pester a user who intercepted a trade, etc. Using this option, these people would then be able to show their adults only and leave the fragile eggs/hatchlings hidden.

Personally, I love seeing who owns which of my dragons' adult children or dragons with beautiful names or amazing lineages smile.gif

This, please. It can be really useful for all what's mentioned there, and for both sides of LIT posts.

How many times people have ruined my "experiments" clicking on my babies... and I can't just hide my scroll, 'cause the fansites will no add my hatchies/eggs then.

See *Shroud* in the BSA listing. It uses the Daydream dragons to hide adult dragons on your scroll.

From what I've head, shroud only works on so many dragons. I want almost all of my dragons to be hidden that means 300 + dragons.

This seems like a good solution to the problem I see in the first option.

Not all my dragons are named, I don't even know all their names, and I certainly haven't memorized their codes. x3

Otherwise, these seem pretty sound and useful. :3

• Makes the eggs and unfrozen hatchlings invisible on the /user/username page
  • Acts like hide scroll in that the fansites can't find them
  • You can hide adults, why not be able to do the opposite??

Basically, would allow you to protect your growing things like hide scroll does but allows you to still show off your adult dragons. Because my biggest annoyance with having to hide my scroll to protect my eggs is also having my adults hidden, since it prevents me from saying "take a look at my scroll and see if you like anything" when trading. Plus I've always wondered why there isn't an opposite of the hide adults option.

Secondary suggestion, indicate that something is hidden

With this and the hide adults option you really need a way to determine that that is why the person doesn't have any eggs or why they don't have any adults. After all, apart from the badge you can't tell that someone with the adults hidden isn't a total newbie, and you can't tell that a total newbie isn't someone who has the adults hidden. Just a little line that lets people know that yes, this person has adults, or yes, this person has eggs, they just don't want to show them off. With the hiding growing things people could mistake the scroll as inactive when the person is really around if there isn't something that lets people know that option is being used.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I imagine there are cases where hiding things is important... but even when i was getting scrollbombed the worst (three straight months of me NEVER having to post anything) it wasnt that hard to just unfog things when i needed to move them.

I prefer scrolls where i do not have to go through pages of adults to find growing things. I prefer to only see eggs and hatchys when im checking up on peoples dragons. Current growing is such a small number of pets compared to the entire scroll, that i really dont see a reason to "hide" them in a classic scroll view. Hiding means nobody can see, and i imagine that the hatcheries wont pick them up.

Taking proper precautions, and not ranting all over the place when you are scroll bombed helps them to go away. The people that are doing it know they are annoying you, and will continue as long as they know that. Ignore it, leave things fogged/hidden until you need to have the tele. If you absolutely have to have lineages, link a sibling you own or have bred... or screen cap it so you can keep it fogged. (note, *you* in this usage means everyone in general. Hate having to explain that...)

I think this is pretty unnecessary. Its one more thing that will trip the new people up for a good while.

The only thing that I can do is hide my scroll, since I basically spend all my time gifting, so if they have any access to my dragons they ruin everything, since I've got stuff in teleport basically all the time and teleport stuff can't be fogged.

And if we have hide adults, why not have hide growing? It just makes sense.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Actually, I like this a lot, because this way you could still add eggs to hatcheries when protecting them. It's just that people visiting your scroll wouldn't know you had them, and you wouldn't have to hide your entire scroll to get the same effect. I don't think I'd use it myself, because I don't get viewbombed often if ever, but I wholeheartedly support having it there for people who may need it.

And the addition of a message announcing the presence of hidden growing things or adults is a neat idea, I think it'd be very handy.

You'd have to have them hidden to the hatcheries as well, since if the hatcheries could read them people could still add them to the hatcheries or use the hatcheries to find them to add them to other stuff.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I like this idea, although I would most likely not use it. It just seems to be a good thing to have when gifting and for stuff like that.

I most likely wouldn't use it but I still like the idea.

You'd have to have them hidden to the hatcheries as well, since if the hatcheries could read them people could still add them to the hatcheries or use the hatcheries to find them to add them to other stuff.

On the fansites that let you add things by individual code, you'd be able to add them, though, right? It wouldn't be able to add them by scroll, you're right.