Confused Cat

Dragon action "Change manual custom sort value"

I use manual custom sort. (Formerly known as "legacy custom sort".) When a few new dragons have grown up, I go to the sort page and enter their numbers to sort them according to my personal system.

Previously it used to take very long to load and save the sort page, this changed some months ago and it is now quite fast (and I have 3000+ dragons).

However, I still wonder if it is really necessary to load a page with all the dragons (and maybe even to update all their sort values even though they have not changed) when I just want to update the values for a few new ones or even just one that I previously mistyped.

My suggestion:

Add a "Change manual custom sort value" option to the Actions page of each dragon, so we can update just that one dragon's value.

(This probably only makes sense if a noticeable number of players use manual custom sort. I don't know the other sorting options, maybe some could use a similar feature.)

(Edit Dec 2017: updated the name of the sorting feature, "legacy custom sort" is now "manual custom sort".)

Edited by Confused Cat

I THINK if you use alt custom sort and move that one dragon, it will still be where you put it when you next use legacy sort; I'm, sorry but I am NOT about to test that ! (I always use alt custom !)

I think what Confused Cat is trying to get at is that loading all of the dragons from a scroll on one page can be a bit silly if you are just sorting a few dragons. I know for a fact that all of the custom sort options load a page like this and I agree that it would be useful to have an option to just move one dragon at a time.

all custom sorts use the numbered system, just some don't show it - it's only the UI that differs.

also, the system where you actually enter numbers, allows you to do a lot more, as you can leave space in your numbers, which is not possible using the others.

I think what Confused Cat is trying to get at is that loading all of the dragons from a scroll on one page can be a bit silly if you are just sorting a few dragons.

Exactly. smile.gif It is unnecessary for the user, and it might also be an unneccessary usage of "server power" (not sure what would be the right word here), so if(!) legacy custom sort is currently used often enough to have an impact - like temporary cave slowness - the additional option could help preventing that.

May I bump this after 1 1/2 years? biggrin.gif

I would still like to be able to add a sort value to one dragon at a time.

I'm at 5500+ dragons now, and I almost feel bad for making the DC server/database list (and possibly update) all of them when I just want to update one dragon's sort value.

Bumping again after 1 1/2 years to check if there's more support now. smile.gif

I would still like this feature.

When a new dragon grows up, I usually know exactly which number it will get in my "legacy custom sort system", and it would be really nice not to make the site list 8500+ dragons just to change that number for one of them.

(Of course I often have more than just one new dragon to sort, but even for updating 10 new dragons, loading the complete list seems like a waste of resources.)

I've just started using legacy custom sort, and I agree that this would be super-helpful.

Yes please! I want to use the legacy custom sort but it's too much work right now. If you're constantly hatching dragons, it's constantly out of date! If I could assign a legacy number to a hatchling at the same time I give it a name (I usually name as soon as they hatch) things would run much smoohter. Love this idea.

I bet if this was implemented more people would use the feature, especially new players who haven't become used to ignoring it for simplicity's sake.

Edited by DragonsofFel

Bumping once again.

Loading the sort page with allllll the dragons seems to be faster now than it used to be (no idea if it's DC or my browser), but I still think this would be useful. :)

(I also updated the topic title because "legacy custom sort" is now "manual custom sort".)

I'm more or less currently in the process of re-sorting my whole scroll, which takes a while (a few hundred dragons every few days or so), so I'd really like to assign the "correct" positional value to every new dragon I acquire in the meantime without having to load the whole list again!

Edited by Ruby Eyes