Vhale

Remote Biomes

Under Construction

The gist, of a "Remote" Biome.

Access can't be universal, because if it is, that makes it a regular biome.

This is probably the quickest way to get a large release out. Assuming 1 Remote biome per existing Biome. 5 dragons each and perhaps 2 hybrids. That would be 42 dragons off the completed list in one swoop. If the biomes rotated seasonally, it could be as many as 168. Note, there are 500 dragons on the completed list.

Quest Based Biomes

These Biomes require a user to interact with their dragons or the cave to gain access

1. BSA

2. Exploration Based

Effort Based Biomes

These Biomes are based on an Achievement. Upon completing a goal, access is granted.

1. Collect X Per Biome

2. Collect X Total (trophy)

3. Number of Years Active

Seasonal Biomes (Migration)

A Time based function added to the cave, no real requirement for players beyond 1 dragon.

1. One Season per Biome

2. Seasonal BSA

We're going to put some polls up to gauge people's thoughts about various issues that have risen. Don't assume we're assuming this is a given just because there is a poll, we're just trying to get data. No panicking!

There has been a metric ton of cave suggestions lately and rather strong reactions to all of them. I had this idea while considering them. Basically, it's an advanced scroll reward along the same lines as the bronze and gold trophies. The idea is to reward players for reaching a dragon raising milestone.

1-3 new biomes that can only be seen if you have raised 2000, 3000, 4000 dragons.

Veteran's Biome. Adventurer's Biome. Explorer's Biome. (names and numbers totally up for discussion)

The thought here, is to encourage people to raise commons, as sitting around waiting for rares won't help reach this goal. And to let the players that really enjoy playing get to some new releases, without imposing new dragons and people that don't like to play much or often.

All dragons in these biomes would be common with maybe one uncommon each. I don't think they'd need to be rares.

I don't think they should drop holiday releases, this would give veterans the ability to hunt something else when they don't need Holiday stuffs.

Adding in Olympe's list:

One extra biome for gold trophy (or any other number of dragons), commons/uncommons only, but with new eggs showing with every refresh. Would allow players to search the new Cave biome (pun intended) for the commons they really want right then.

One extra biome for every trophy level (or trophy levels yet to be added): Would give users something to work towards. If someone doesn't want to adapt their play style or simply is too new to the game, they can still trade for the dragons they cannot get themselves. This would also allow TJ to add 20 or so new dragon breeds at once and for each new biome, which would help get some wonderful projects from the completed list into the game without overwhelming new players. So, how about new biomes like grasslands, ocean, tundra, sky, hills, underground?

An extra biome where alts and colored stripes and CB crossbreeds can be found: No new sprites, but something for CB nuts (like me).

Adding in from myself:

If each trophy level had a special biome, I think you should only be able to access the one biome for that trophy. Not the previous ones. That lets the newbie biomes retain some value for people in that biome and keeps with the idea of encouraging trading back and forth.

Fiona's version

I came back to this idea. Essentially, an extension of the existing biomes, but more remote. The idea that occurred to me was, if these are more remote areas of the existing biomes, it would make a certain degree of sense that you'd need to have hunted the existing biomes at least some to know about going deeper, right? That's really something that's sort of at the heart of this suggestion, as far as I could see.

So, what if, instead of having to have a set number of dragons overall, you'd need a certain number from a particular biome in order to go deeper to the extended biome? Say for example, the jungle. According to the wiki there are 29 different breeds that drop there. Let's say the magic number is 10. You'd need to have at least 10 dragons from the jungle (any combination of 10) in order to go deeper in the jungle.

It does have the benefit of adding something new for players who've been here awhile, but new players would only be excluded for as long as it took to get familiar with the game. It might take them a bit to get access to all the different extended biomes, but they could get to the first of them very quickly if they chose.

Edited by Vhale

Would there be different dragons in the veteran biomes than the regular ones? If so, then I say no. Is there a higher chance of catching a rare in the new biomes than the others? This would also be no. But if it is the same dragons as everywhere else, (although with less rares would be better), than I kind of like this idea.

From what you said I am picturing a biome populated with random commons and the occasional uncommon specifically for experienced players to catch from.

Edited by TVTD

I like this idea, but the amount of dragons needed really need to be toned down, in my opinion. Seriously, who else besides maybe TJ09 has 4000 dragons?! Heck, I don't know if he even has that many.

Edited by FlyingDragona

Would there be different dragons in the veteran biomes than the regular ones? If so, then I say no. Is there a higher chance of catching a rare in the new biomes than the others? This would also be no. But if it is the same dragons as everywhere else, (although with less rares would be better), than I kind of like this idea.

If it was the same commons as everywhere else, except with even less rares, what kind of crappy reward would that be? Gee, a slower moving biome with nothing new and less rares than the normal biomes... certainly wouldn't have me going nuts trying to gain access to it.

I'm neutral on the idea of a biome with new breeds, but I think a biome with the same breeds and less rares would be pointless. Unless it was a biome where EVERY breed could be found, some type of draconic homeland as a throwback to how the cave used to be... but while that'd be nice it'd still not be particularly impressive.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I like this idea, but the amount of dragons needed really need to be toned down, in my opinion. Seriously, who else besides maybe TJ09 has 4000 dragons?! Heck, I don't know if he even has that many.

TJ doesn't have very many dragons actually. Also there's a couple people with 4,000 dragons.

If it was the same commons as everywhere else, except with even less rares, what kind of crappy reward would that be? Gee, a slower moving biome with nothing new and less rares than the normal biomes... certainly wouldn't have me going nuts trying to gain access to it.

I'm neutral on the idea of a biome with new breeds, but I think a biome with the same breeds and less rares would be pointless. Unless it was a biome where EVERY breed could be found, some type of draconic homeland as a throwback to how the cave used to be... but while that'd be nice it'd still not be particularly impressive.

But if it has unique breeds, that's unfair. There would be a crapton of unnecessary drama, and I don't think that would go over well.

I was kind of thinking that it would have all breeds, but I don't really know what Vhale was imagining as the OP is kind of vague.

The idea of a biome with everything is an interesting idea. There could be an added sentence to the front page: On one of your travels, you found a hidden path that leads away from the other habitats. Perhaps you should follow the new path.

Also, what if the new biome had six eggs instead of the usual three?

I don't like this idea, especially if the intention was to allow those with already tons of dragons to access to a biome with a better chance at rares/excusives etc. It's unfair to those that have been here for years and would be considered vets anywhere else, but are more picky about what goes on their scrolls (like me: I've been here since just after the initial Vamp release and only recently got the 500 trophy).

I wouldn't say I like this idea either... Just like I said in the thread about egg limits being raised, I think this feature would increase disbalance between users.

Apart from that, if one has more than 1k or so dragons on their scroll, it doesn't necessarily mean they have been concentrating on collecting commons. I've got a bit more than 2500 dragons myself, 1101 of which are Papers (which are considered more or less rare I believe). Even not counting other rares (about 270 non-holiday ones, at least by my understanding of what is rare), it's a lot. Also, all dragons that are possible to get CBs of are CB by me, and I do not get eggs from the AP, unless it's a CB I need. So despite being a user with more than a thousand/two thousand dragons, I can't say I have helped clear the AP much (which people would also like to achieve somehow) in my DC life, for example xd.png

When I was working on trophies, I wouldn't try to get commons to make things faster - I collected what I liked and needed. I don't think an addition you are suggesting would have made me change my collecting style either, and I'm probably not the only one like that.

There are people who only collect 1 (or X) pair(s) of each breed. Trophies are already a pressure enough for them, and I guess the whole story with the new biome(s) could cause complaints from both new users and users I have just mentioned.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

There is no idea that won't cause complaints. Biomes and Teleports both had staunch opposition. So I'm kinda against not discussing an idea just because someone will complain about it. With 40,000+ users, we will never get 100% agreement.

Imo, yes, these biomes would have commons/uncommons not found in the others. That is what would make them a reward. But they would only be as exclusive as a generous person's teleport or a savy person's tradelink.

As a further thought, if anyone here plays wow. Wow has mining. Now the newbie ore is copper. It's relatively cheap and plentiful. However, veteran players hate going back to lowbie areas to farm it. So, savy newbies that farm it can make a tidy fortune by selling it.

Now what has that to do with Dragon Cave or this suggestion?

It could also be interested to have the biomes soley accessible by trophy level. IE, a newbie biome for bronze, one for gold etc etc. And yes, I think it goes without saying that there are dragons unique to each. Otherwise, there's no point.

Part of the theory here, is to encourage trading based on something other than reflexes. Being commons/uncommons, the limit is the will to go get them and teleport them. Not just luck and processor speed.

This would be cool, but that is an extremely high dragon count. Does anyone even have 4000 dragons?

I wouldn't say I like this idea either... Just like I said in the thread about egg limits being raised, I think this feature would increase disbalance between users.

There are people who only collect 1 (or X) pair(s) of each breed. Trophies are already a pressure enough for them, and I guess the whole story with the new biome(s) could cause complaints from both new users and users I have just mentioned.

I am one of this people. I still don't have 500 dragons yet though playing since 2009. 4000 or even 1000 seems unreachable for me, because of my playstyle I wouldn't want to change to be able to get all the dragons.

Part of the theory here, is to encourage trading based on something other than reflexes. Being commons/uncommons, the limit is the will to go get them and teleport them. Not just luck and processor speed.

I don't think this is a good idea, as it would only set the prizes skyrocketing just like the Shimmers now. When people have such an amount of dragons, it means in most cases they have all the commons they need and would only want to trade for something more valuable (rares) matching the value of the dragons the others can't get.

Edited by Chococat0815

Imo, yes, these biomes would have commons/uncommons not found in the others. That is what would make them a reward. But they would only be as exclusive as a generous person's teleport or a savy person's tradelink.

On the one hand I like this idea because it's a goal for people to strive for, and a reward.

On the other hand I anticipate a lot of objections because it's going to take some of the new people a very long, long time to get to the 2-3k mark. So idk.

Maybe something that would be entirely new for everyone? As in, if it was implemented, another 500 dragons for existing players who are over the 1.5k limit and a certain achievement for new players (1500 or something)?

Some people only want 1 of each gender adult & hatchie, and 1 frozen hatchie. I just want to be as fair as possible to everyone.

I think this is a very interesting idea, and I can see several ways to implement it.

One extra biome for gold trophy (or any other number of dragons), commons/uncommons only, but with new eggs showing with every refresh. Would allow players to search the new Cave biome (pun intended) for the commons they really want right then.

One extra biome for every trophy level (or trophy levels yet to be added): Would give users something to work towards. If someone doesn't want to adapt their play style or simply is too new to the game, they can still trade for the dragons they cannot get themselves. This would also allow TJ to add 20 or so new dragon breeds at once and for each new biome, which would help get some wonderful projects from the completed list into the game without overwhelming new players. So, how about new biomes like grasslands, ocean, tundra, sky, hills, underground?

An extra biome where alts and colored stripes and CB crossbreeds can be found: No new sprites, but something for CB nuts (like me).

This idea sounds really cool! Although, yeah, the thousands of dragons is crazy. Maybe around 900-1000 o: Since it would be a Veteran biome, I do feel that it would only be nice if there was a slightly higher chance of catching rares. I'd be going crazy wub.gif

Is it just me, or does this idea kinda smack of the whole "1% vs poor people" issues the United States is dealing with in RL? It kinda sounds like it. I say no.

Is it just me, or does this idea kinda smack of the whole "1% vs poor people" issues the United States is dealing with in RL? It kinda sounds like it. I say no.

Eh, not really? If it was 'collect 1000 metals' then, well, yes. But anyone could achieve this by collecting commons.

But I do agree that the potential goalposts should be lowered except for existing users who are already over 1 or 2k.

There has been a metric ton of cave suggestions lately and rather strong reactions to all of them. I had this idea while considering them. Basically, it's an advanced scroll reward along the same lines as the bronze and gold trophies. The idea is to reward players for reaching a dragon raising milestone.

1-3 new biomes that can only be seen if you have raised 2000, 3000, 4000 dragons.

Veteran's Biome. Adventurer's Biome. Explorer's Biome. (names and numbers totally up for discussion)

The thought here, is to encourage people to raise commons, as sitting around waiting for rares won't help reach this goal. And to let the players that really enjoy playing get to some new releases, without imposing new dragons and people that don't like to play much or often.

All dragons in these biomes would be common with maybe one uncommon each. I don't think they'd need to be rares.

I don't think they should drop holiday releases, this would give veterans the ability to hunt something else when they don't need Holiday stuffs.

I actually like this idea. Gold trophy is 500 dragons, so the idea of having 1,000 dragons isn't impossible. It would be like the next step past a gold! It also would give people something to do other than chasing bloodlines and new releases once they have a lot of dragons.

Still, people are complaining that it's hard, so maybe the advanced biomes should be at 550 (Veteran), 1,000 (Adventurer), and 1,500 (Explorer)? This would give an extra biome for a little more effort than the trophy and from there it would be like getting an extra biome every time instead of getting an extra gold trophy. People seem to be able to get to over a thousand dragons around here so I don't think it's impossible for anyone to do. It just will take about a year of hatching and trading to get there!

Personally, I don't think the threshold should be too low. When you have a gold trophy and set your mind to it - meaning you always have all your egg slots filled and use incubate on every egg - you can hatch 7 eggs every other day.

In order to hatch 1000 eggs, you'd need 1000 * 2 / 7 = 2000 / 7 = 286 days. That's less than a year. (Even if you add 3 days for raising your hatchling to adulthood.) We still have players here who've been playing since 2007 or even longer...

So, yes, 1000, 2000 and 5000 are fine with me.

What people sayign "it's easy I just takes time!" are ignoring is the fact that not everybody plays to collect tons of dragons.

Plenty of people play collecting one, two, maybe three or four or five of each breed. Thy will never, or not for a long time, have access to these biomes.

That said, as long as it does not give rares or exclusives or something, I'd be okay with some special biomes.

It may not make tons of sense habitat wise, but maybe the biomes could be type specific--like a biome for wyverns and drakes, and a biome for westerns and orientals (when we get more), or for amphi-whatever-I-cant-spell-them. Or for splits and drakes or for pygmies.

Then if you're looking for a Pygmy, you go to the Pygmy biome. If you want a wingless western, you go to that biome, etc. multiple biomes could be unlocked as you hit new levels.

Then you're seeing the same eggs as everybody else, but grouped a bit differently?

As opposed to "biome with every single common and maybe some uncommons".

But as long as there are no exclusives or a better chance for rares that sounds okay.

Though maybe some lower numbers--4k is a lot. I like the 550, 1k, 1.5k idea. Or maybe like 750, 1.5k, 2k, or something.

Edited by KageSora

Well, as a compromise we could have two ways to get the biomes: either raise x dragons OR have joined for x months long plus have a bronze trophy (or some other smallish number of dragons).

I'd be okay with this as long as the new biomes didn't have special dragons only those who can access the biomes can get. That's kind of unfair to users who can't/don't want to constantly have themselves scroll locked just so they can have over 2000 dragons. |:

Well, as a compromise we could have two ways to get the biomes: either raise x dragons OR have joined for x months long plus have a bronze trophy (or some other smallish number of dragons).

That would be good, a time requirement would be good as well as the number.

If people would be annoyed by the idea of somebody joining and leaving them coming back and having access despite not playing, maybe to access you have to have been active for a month--logging in at least once a week for a month to determine activity.

What people sayign "it's easy I just takes time!" are ignoring is the fact that not everybody plays to collect tons of dragons.

Plenty of people play collecting one, two, maybe three or four or five of each breed. Thy will never, or not for a long time, have access to these biomes.

I used to really like the "let everybody play however they want" mentality that Dragon Cave has, but of late it's becoming more and more tiresome.

The way the cave is set up right now, the more people pick up blockers that nobody wants (or, at least, so few people want them that they sit in the AP and the cave for so long. Not enough people, by my mind, and by the minds of a lot of people, I think.

At this point I'm in favor of any idea, no matter how drastic, that makes common eggs more desirable.

If you really want to keep your scroll clean, catch 500 dragons, unlock all the secret biomes, complete your scroll goals, and then release all the dragons you didn't really want. It's a pain, but it'll get the eggs out of the AP and the cave.

It could be done so that the time to wait to unlock it is decently longer that the time it would take to raise the dragons so raising would be more desirable but it would still be available to anybody if the waited long enough.