angelicdragonpuppy

Option to use Sort By to view other's scrolls

Every now and then, I'll play a game over in the forum games section in which, upon winning, the winner gets to choose a dragon from the host's scroll that they'd like to have bred for them. Now, usually finding said dragon you want is a chaotic mess--you just kinda have to stumble around and see what you can find. There's no way to view the other person's scroll in any sort of easy-view order.

Which is why I'm proposing that we have the option to use the Sort By options on scrolls other than our own. These would affect only our own view of that scroll, of course.

Some possible uses:

- Quickly check if someone else has a given breed (ex: you want to gift a Silver to someone with less than three. You use the sort by breed option to quickly determine how many Silvers they have, if any)

- Makes it easier to search for things you might like to have bred (ex: if someone offers you a breeding from their scroll in exchange for a trade, you can use breed sort to quickly see if they have anything you'd like bred from them)

- Good for plain old curiosity as to what others have on their scrolls (ex: you wonder how many Sunsongs the person with the largest on-record Sunsong collection has, but they're scattered all over their scroll. You use the breed sort to see them all grouped together in magnificent army glory)

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

As long as the filter on other's scrolls didn't include "Available for breeding/BSA", I would be fine with this.

I like this idea, I know I'd certainly use this feature if it existed. smile.gif

As long as the filter on other's scrolls didn't include "Available for breeding/BSA", I would be fine with this.

Oh, that's a good point xd.png

I think I'm just going to change it to sort by only, as filters are really only for the good of the person owning the scroll as opposed to sort by, which can be useful for anyone.

I assume we're talking about introducing the "sort by" list onto other peoples' scrolls, not the "filter by" list.

Sort by list:

~ Name

~ Age

~ Breed

Filter by list:

~ Eggs/unfrozen hatchlings

~ Unnamed hatchlings/adults

~ Available for breeding

~ Available for BSA

Obviously the filter by list would cause massive problems if it was available for other people's scrolls ("hey, why haven't you bred your CB metals in the past two months? Breed them for me!" "You owe me something as part of an IOU so why haven't you been breeding regularly?") but I think having the sort by list available on everyone's scroll would be really handy. Some people have scroll orders that I just can't wrap my head around, unfortunately, so I'd seriously love something like this. smile.gif

I'd like to see sort by breed, and NOT a filter to show growing things. That would IMHO be asking for trouble. And not to show anything about breeding history. That would also have the potential to cause drama, I fear.

EmeraldMay brought up some of the issues with the filter suggestion, so the idea has been changed to allow the sort by options only, not the filter by ones smile.gif

Filter by eggs/unfrozen hatchlings would, however, be an incredibly useful one to include. I do a good bit of gifting, but I like to check to see if the person is unlocked before sending them a PM. Because of this I don't gift to people who have their growing things scattered all over their scroll because it would be a royal pain to count how many eggs they have when they're scattered over 3 pages.

The other three in that list would not be a good idea to include.

Filter by eggs/unfrozen hatchlings would, however, be an incredibly useful one to include.  I do a good bit of gifting, but I like to check to see if the person is unlocked before sending them a PM.  Because of this I don't gift to people who have their growing things scattered all over their scroll because it would be a royal pain to count how many eggs they have when they're scattered over 3 pages.

Sorting by age pulls eggs and unfrozen hatchies to the top, no filtering needed smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Filter by eggs/unfrozen hatchlings would, however, be an incredibly useful one to include. I do a good bit of gifting, but I like to check to see if the person is unlocked before sending them a PM. Because of this I don't gift to people who have their growing things scattered all over their scroll because it would be a royal pain to count how many eggs they have when they're scattered over 3 pages.

I do that by looking through valleysherwood without adding anything....

I definitely support this idea. I actually keep wanting to use it when I look at other people's scrolls, only to facepalm when I realise that's only on my own scroll.

How about a search option on scrolls. Where you type either a name or a species and it only shows that? Also have an option to only show CBs or Lineages, etc?

Though it would sorta feel like an invasion of privacy on a scroll, there is nothing stopping us now to go search ourselves I guess. >.>

Definitely support the idea of being able to support by name breed and age (I don't know about the other options xd.png)

My friend's scroll is full of hilarious dragon names and I like to scroll through and laugh at them sometimes, but if I'm looking for a specific set of dragons it can take me forever because I can't sort by breed. lol.

I support this. Some people's sorting options don't make sense to me.

This

Well I guess sorting by date simply isn't helpful - except when you want to know for how long someone has been playing/been inactive and if someone sorted by breeding projects for example it simply won't be clear to an outsider (at least not without scroll dividers screaming: 'XXX'S CB Golds' or something like that.

So definitely a thumbs up from me smile.gif

I think this is a fantastic idea! I've always wondered in the past why we can't use the "Sort By..." on other people's scrolls. It would make looking for trades so much easier when someone says "Is there any dragons you want me to breed?"

Love it. xd.png

I apologize if this is a duplicate. I did a search in this forum for filter and did not find a topic that already suggested this.

I would love the ability to filter or sort through someone else's scroll the same way I can mine.

Edited by Myscal

That link just sends you to this topic. blink.gif

That post was probably merged alongside with the post above it from a duplicate thread.

Edited by CNR4806

I really, really like this idea!

I keep my scroll sorted by date, so on occasion when I know people are looking for something specific I've had to remember to change the sort option for a brief time and change it back, which for me isn't a huge deal but I can see where people wouldn't always know if someone was wanting to look for specific things on their scroll.

A Sort By option for viewing other people's scrolls? YES! That would be awesome. I only discovered that feature recently on my scroll (because apparently I never pay attention to stuff near the top of my scroll), and it's so useful! I've been wishing that I had the option to sort by on other peoples' scrolls... Would make finding things so much easier. laugh.gif

Yes, please! This would be amazingly helpful for us, and since most of the coding is already there, if only for the case of us viewing our own scrolls, it shouldn't cause too much work for TJ, should it?

I'd like this a lot! I prefer my dragons being sorted by date, but I know it makes specific dragons hard to find for other people. Letting them just hit "sort by breed" would help pretty much everyone.