paradoxangel

Summer Event

Something I know that many users, besides myself, would like to see is the addition of another DC event to keep us entertained. What I propose is we have a Summer-based, non-holiday, annual DragonCave event.

Why this type of event?

>There are approximately 8 empty months between the Valentine's Day DC event and the Halloween event. If you want to be picky, you can say there are approximately 6 months between the Easter event and the Halloween event.

>Any events that take place between these are simple, log in and get a badge events, or new dragon releases. While these are great parts of the game, they don't quite hold one's attention like the bigger, brighter DC events, where everyone comes together, trades, chats, and brings traffic to DC like none other.

>An event sometime during the Summer would be strategically placed between two of our biggest DC events, allowing for plenty of time for normal dragon releases, without throwing any ratios or normal workings of the cave out of whack.

>I realize and recognize Summer is not a consistent time of year for everyone world-wide, because of hemispheres. Clearly, in this instance, I mean Summer for the USA. DC-related seasons are already clearly marked by seasonal dragons, which are on the same seasonal rotation.

>We already have plenty of holiday-based events, some of which DC users as a whole don't celebrate.

>It's absolutely fine if you do or don't celebrate any of the current holidays, and I understand the reasoning for celebrating mostly USA holidays. The site's creator is from the USA, and a large percentage of DC users live in the USA and celebrate these holidays (though not all of them do!). These holidays are frequently celebrated around the world (but not everywhere!). It makes sense for them to come up in-cave. That being said, it would be nice to have a "DC holiday" that only celebrates a fictional DC holiday. As in, a completely random day that corresponds with no existing holiday. It's a "holiday" that exists only on DragonCave. No one gets a feeling of exclusion/inclusion. No one will be away with family or friends during what is considered, for some, a special time of the year for family. On the whole, you lose the entire feeling of what makes something a holiday, but keep the celebration for fun's sake.

>It is also acknowledged that some people like to be away for the summer and will not like this idea. I say that this is the SAME point many are concerned about each winter during our current events, and yet those events carry on regardless. Please, I understand this concern, but try to understand that this idea is not about excluding you, but creating another event for many to enjoy, who may not be able to enjoy events later/earlier in the year.

>A single time event is not the point. Any event decided upon should most likely be annual.

>As stated previously, there is a lot of "down" time for older players (and possibly newer players, as well) during the span between Valentine's/Easter and Halloween. Other than possible new dragon releases, players don't have a lot to do outside the norm. Collecting and breeding is fine and dandy, but sometimes just an extra something to do would be great. This extra, continued event will help to keep attention on the site, and players more involved overall.

>There should be a wide notification of the event on the forums and on the site itself at least a few weeks in advance. Think of it like a new party. How is anyone going to know the party is going down if you don't tell anyone where and when?

>If the event is annual, anyone who misses it is not going to be as upset, as they have the prospect of getting to do it again the following year, or the year after that.

That being said, I have accumulated a list of ideas (Do's AND Do Not's AND Maybe's) for this event.

Do's

>Summer event

>Same day

>Annual

>No tie in to real holiday

>Give the event a Summer-related, consistent name

>A badge would be nice

Do Not's

>Only do the event once

>Change the timing of the event each year

>Link the event to a real-life holiday

>Limited release dragons, like Marrows or Rosebuds or Hollies

Maybe's

>A collection event, like with Easter eggs or Halloween treats. Ideally, something Summer themed.

>A decoration event, like with Christmas Wreaths, Trees or Gingerbread Houses. Ideally, something Summer themed, like a Sandcastle.

>PERMANENT dragon release, or multi-release.

>A secondary yearly raffle, since the raffle has clearly become a staple of DC. PLEASE DO NOT DEBATE THIS AND LOSE TRACK OF THE POINT OF THIS THREAD. SHENANIGANS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

>More dragon dress ups would be adorable, but can only be requested nicely of the spriters through encouragement and praise

>An idea for a singular, new event. Perhaps the new event could be a "Dragon Fair" wherein each user may click a badge, go through a town similar to the town used in this past Halloween's story. At this "Fair" could be several mini-games, and along with that, perhaps a corral or a show with several unreleased, new breeds of dragon. Each player can pick 1 or 2 of these dragons that they would like to see in-cave. Essentially, TJ could pick a wide range of new, possible dragons, but let popular opinion decide which ones are released shortly after. (In this case, TJ still retains a large portion of his picking power, but doesn't get the heat when people dislike a dragon he's chosen to release, because hey, majority rules.)

>Some new ideas anyone? That would be most excellent.

(Sorry for so much reading, and words jammed together.)

Yes. I would support this. :3

I like most of the 'maybe' ideas too, I can't decide which is best. xd.png

I like the idea if some sort of dragon fair, so that users actually get some input into what dragons are released into the cave. =)

Edited by TheGrox

Oh God, PLEASE no... Many members are away during the summer and cannot access the cave. While people can argue the same about any holiday, in the summer, people tend to go places such as summer camp (I do) or hotels that you have to pay to use the wifi. I am already sad I'll never have a Beat-the-Heat badge, and that it was impossible for me to get one. If anything, this would possibly lead to multiscrolling, because people would ask someone to log on for them to get the badge,

this would possibly lead to multiscrolling, because people would ask someone to log on for them to get the badge,

I'm not sure how that's encouraging multiscrolling, really? (Edit; I know what multiscrolling is, I'm just not sure people would go to such lengths to get a silly badge...)

And you can say the same about any holiday. But most people don't go away ALL summer, and if they do, most people have some sort if access to Internet whilst away.

Edited by TheGrox

Because lots of people go places they can't get internet, they might ask someone to log on for them. I'd be okay with it early or late in the summer, but not in the middle, when most people are away.

Edited by PieMaster

I'm not sure how that's multiscrolling?

If you ask someone who has their own scroll to log into yours for you (even to do very, very innocent things like grabbing a one-day badge or fogging sick hatchlings), it counts as 'multiscrolling' and people can get burned for it. e____e

I like this, but I'd prefer it if there was nothing in the event that was truly 'exclusive' as in 'get it now or never get it ever.' DC Holidays already stress me out because I'm always worried I'll miss some darn trick or treat/wreath ornament/goodness knows what, so the less of that, the better. Fun mini games and permanent dragon releases on a certain summer day, though? Yes please!

Like I said, I'd support if early/late summer, as in around the start/end of the school year.

Why does it have to revolve around a dragon release? I, for one, am sick of seeing new dragons every few months. I can hardly keep up (and can say that I don't even have all of the newer breeds yet) as it is.

As to the maybes:

>A collection event, like with Easter eggs or Halloween treats. Ideally, something Summer themed.

Yes.

>A decoration event, like with Christmas Wreaths, Trees or Gingerbread Houses. Ideally, something Summer themed, like a Sandcastle.

Though I have not participated in a decorating event since the first Christmas contest, it has been popular. Yes.

>PERMANENT dragon release, or multi-release.

No. There is too much diversity as it is.

>A secondary yearly raffle, since the raffle has clearly become a staple of DC. PLEASE DO NOT DEBATE THIS AND LOSE TRACK OF THE POINT OF THIS THREAD. SHENANIGANS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Only if there are only HM-esque prizes.

>More dragon dress ups would be adorable, but can only be requested nicely of the spriters through encouragement and praise

I wouldn't mind this, though previous suggestions of a "Recolor Week" have been shot down.

>An idea for a singular, new event. Perhaps the new event could be a "Dragon Fair" wherein each user may click a badge, go through a town similar to the town used in this past Halloween's story. At this "Fair" could be several mini-games, and along with that, perhaps a corral or a show with several unreleased, new breeds of dragon. Each player can pick 1 or 2 of these dragons that they would like to see in-cave. Essentially, TJ could pick a wide range of new, possible dragons, but let popular opinion decide which ones are released shortly after. (In this case, TJ still retains a large portion of his picking power, but doesn't get the heat when people dislike a dragon he's chosen to release, because hey, majority rules.)

Splendid. Full support.

>Some new ideas anyone? That would be most excellent.

You've exhausted me of mine. tongue.gif

Edited by gistofeverything

>It is also acknowledged that some people like to be away for the summer and will not like this idea. I say that this is the SAME point many are concerned about each winter during our current events, and yet those events carry on regardless. Please, I understand this concern, but try to understand that this idea is not about excluding you, but creating another event for many to enjoy, who may not be able to enjoy events later/earlier in the year.

I acknowledged your concern previously and I do understand it. It's valid, but so is my point.

Truthfully, I'd prefer we get through what we would or would not like to see, before we determine the exact timing of when such an event would occur. In the end, despite half of us crying out for an event in May or August, TJ might overrule us and throw it in June. Likewise, we could ask for June, and it could get thrown into August.

I ask that we please turn discussion mainly back into constructive ideas for an event itself. (I don't mind if you mention that it inconveniences you once or twice, but if you continue to do so, you are getting off topic and spamming this thread, and I don't appreciate that.)

The thing is that at those holidays, 9/10 times people can actually get on the computer. Lots of people go on vacations where there is zero internet access. Also, keep in mind that the spriters need a break, too.

This would be cool. I know I feel the gap between Easter and Halloween is just huge. I'm mostly on board for a permanent dragon release or the fair idea, I think.

The thing is that at those holidays, 9/10 times people can actually get on the computer. Lots of people go on vacations where there is zero internet access. Also, keep in mind that the spriters need a break, too.

Seriously, I don't know if you read the whining on the forums during the Holidays, but you're repeating the SAME things everyone says during winter holidays, when they go on vacations with their family.

I've acknowledged your concern repeatedly.

I do recognize spriters need vacation time from the cave, too. As of yet, I've not seen an influx of spriters complain that this idea would be too much work.

The thing is that at those holidays, 9/10 times people can actually get on the computer.

Okay.

Lots of people go on vacations where there is zero internet access.

According to the statistic you provided above, this fact is incorrect. Only the minority of the people here lose their Internet access if the above percentage is true (90%! That's a lot!).

Also, keep in mind that the spriters need a break, too.

This is true, though. The current stream of events from Halloween to Valentine's is a lot.

No. There is too much diversity as it is.

You realize that the entire ongoing theme of this game is for more and more new dragons to be released, right? Does it make a difference if there's one particular day in summer when we know there'll be a release versus there just being some random day in summer when there's a release?

I support celebrating May Day as a Spring Holiday/Summer Festival because lots of cultures celebrate that and it can easily be very colorful and fun with decorating a basket with may flowers you could pick up around the site(or give to others) and the maypole you could log in for a certain number of days in May to get different colors on your Maypole (weaved like a traditional maypole). Maybe like a total of 8-10 colors and you have all May(31 days) to get the colors so everyone has a chance.

And it would be in May, which most people have off as they transition from Spring semester to Summer semester and before people make summer plans or summer camp.

People could give anonymous may flower baskets to others (it would get put on their scroll until they view it, then under a badge to be viewed later, like valentine's)

*just a suggestion*

-CountryGal

I would LOVE to see some kind of event during the summer months. Call it a beach party and collect things like seashells, plastic buckets, swimfins, pool toys, etc.

And there's no need to overwork the spriters, there are DOZENS of completed dragons already available in the 'completed' forum. Some have been sitting there waiting for YEARS, and I'd say it's way past time for them to be released.

As for the 'I'll be on vacation' crowd, I'm sorry, but I think the MAJORITY of players would like to have a summer event. It's the same things we hear every holiday, and the excuse is getting OLD. Someone is always going to get left out, or miss the event, or be grounded, or flat out forget, but those are NOT reasons to not have an event.

Add a poll and I'll bet the majority will be in favor of a summer event.

My personal opinion is: only if it doesn't reduce the number of normal dragons released [ie a regular release isn't replaced by a holiday release]. The release rate is low enough as it is, people remove work done here in the dragon requests section to take it to other adoptables sites where they get released almost immediately. We have had beautiful dragons sit so long their creators have vanished and thus will probably never be released. The last thing we need is to replace yet another normal release with dragons done in secret specifically for the event.

According to the statistic you provided above, this fact is incorrect. Only the minority of the people here lose their Internet access if the above percentage is true (90%! That's a lot!).

What I mean by that is they have internet access, but choose not to use it. If they wanted to stay up late and go on, they could. In summer situations, a lot of times people have zero internet access.

I possibly would be able to get on. I don't know what websites my camp will block. I still stand by a summer event earlier in the summer, or later, before people go away.

paradoxangel: I truly appreciate your post, very well made, but I weep that you had to spend so much effort to make it politically correct. *pats*

Instead of censorkip.gif*ing, I think I will help you with this idea.

Anyway, how about a Midsummer's Day event? Explore fairy kingdoms or something along that line? Midsummer is as good a day as any other, and quite old as well.

My personal opinion is: only if it doesn't reduce the number of normal dragons released [ie a regular release isn't replaced by a holiday release].  The release rate is low enough as it is, people remove work done here in the dragon requests section to take it to other adoptables sites where they get released almost immediately.  We have had beautiful dragons sit so long their creators have vanished and thus will probably never be released.  The last thing we need is to replace yet another normal release with dragons done in secret specifically for the event.

I've put very specifically that the release should not include one-time release dragons. I didn't think I'd have to explain more than that, but no. I DO NOT WANT to see people spriting dragons SPECIFICALLY for this event.

That would make me so SAD.

Clearly, I'd prefer the option where we take already existing ideas, and let people vote on them in a "Dragon Fair." We could include lots of Lifesucksmedead's lovely May Day ideas (but perhaps without calling it May Day) and it would be a fabulous event right there.

I agree that it shouldn't count against our normal releases. We get so few of those as it is...

Edit: The Midsummer's idea would incorporate into this well, too.

Edited by paradoxangel

Also, and I know this is closer to spring than summer, but I always thought that St. Patrick's should be celebrated! I totally want to collect 4-leaf clovers or something.

Hey, you know, there's a LOT of dragons on the completed list. Maybe this event can simply be a good excuse for a big release of summer-themed dragons? (Like flower types, tree types, etc.)

EDIT: Anyone know when DC was made? If it was in summer, I see no reason why we couldn't have an event themed on DC's birthday.

Edited by Dragon Mage

Oooh, yes, I think that this would be fun! Maybe we should remove any badge involvement, since people seem to be crying out against that already (*shrugs*) but I love the idea overall. biggrin.gif Even just fun stuff and games would be cool.

I like the idea of a Dragon Fair, I think! It's something interesting to do. And I don't see why people who have internet access should have to go without new stuff to do just because there are other people who go on holiday. >.>;

Anyone know when DC was made? If it was in summer, I see no reason why we couldn't have an event themed on DC's birthday.

August 6th, 2007, but don't quote me on that. tongue.gif

Anyone know when DC was made? If it was in summer, I see no reason why we couldn't have an event themed on DC's birthday.

August 6th, 2007, but don't quote me on that. tongue.gif

Then a birthday event sounds like quite a plausible idea... happy.gif