catstaff

Writing Contest #3: How did they meet?

Time for the next writing contest!

Back to fanfiction again, only this time we're ignoring the main characters and their relationships. This time, let's take a trip into the past, and find out how all the couples who simply appear in the work met each other in the first place.

Maybe your fandom gives clues... we all know that Lily Evans thought James Potter was an obnoxious git when they first met. But when exactly did that meeting happen? On board the Hogwarts Express? Just before the Sorting Ceremony? Or only after they were both at the Gryffindor table?

Or maybe your fandom gives no clues at all... Molly and Arthur Weasley have been married for a good long time, but what do we know of their pasts, aside from Molly having been a Prewett? Were they year-mates at Hogwarts? Did they know each other as children, perhaps? Could theirs have been an arranged marriage that turned into a love match?

The rules:

1) Any fandom is fine, as long as you are writing about an established pairing that was introduced in canon as being an established pairing. Continuing with my HP examples, this means that writing about how Astoria Greengrass and Draco Malfoy met is not allowed, because even though JK Rowling has said they married and had Scorpius, they did not make their initial appearance in the series as a married or even betrothed couple.

2) Entries should be between 500 and 2500 words in length. Not anything terribly huge, but not just a drabble, either.

3) As always, keep your entries family-friendly.

4) Post your entries on Figment, Pastebin, Deviant Art, etc, and post the links so the thread doesn't get cluttered.

5) If you want to participate please bold your post in blue and say, "I want to participate!"

All entries are due by December 4.

I want to participate! Edited by Angel of the Inferno

I want to Participate!

Hmmmm I have a vague idea, but it may not be accepted.

In Stargate SG-1, Colonel O'Neill is revealed to have had a wife and child, but due to his child's death is divorced. Would that pairing be accepted as a pre-existing pair?

Hmmmm I have a vague idea, but it may not be accepted.

In Stargate SG-1, Colonel O'Neill is revealed to have had a wife and child, but due to his child's death is divorced. Would that pairing be accepted as a pre-existing pair?

Yes, that would, as long as there were no "flashback" type episodes that showed how he and his wife first met.

An example of what I mean by that (and forgive me for showing my age, lol!) is Little House on the Prairie, the original tv series from the 1970s. Some episodes featured Ma and Pa Ingalls telling stories of their childhoods, and one episode dealt with the time that Ma's family moved in near Pa's family, and all the children meeting each other and making friends, and eventually young Charles deciding he was sweet on young Caroline.

As long as there was nothing like that in the course of Stargate SG-1, you're fine to use Jack and his ex-wife.

Yes, that would, as long as there were no "flashback" type episodes that showed how he and his wife first met.

As long as there was nothing like that in the course of Stargate SG-1, you're fine to use Jack and his ex-wife.

There is one flashback in one episode, but that centres around his son's death.

(Episode was called Cold Lazarus)

Edited by Takhesis

There is one flashback in one episode, but that centres around his son's death.

(Episode was called Cold Lazarus)

That's fine, then, since even in the flashback episode, they were an established pairing.

I want to participate!

Wasn't sure that I did, but I think I have something I can do. Was inspired. smile.gif

Bumping up as a reminder, we have a week to our contest deadline! Stories are due one week from today!

Participants:

PhoenixStarr

Snowytoshi

Angel of the Inferno

Takhesis

blackdragon71

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

Another bump and reminder! Entries to this contest are due tomorrow!

Too many things came up since I asked to participate, and my piece isn't anywhere near finished. Sorry!

Perhaps an extension to this contest should be arranged since 3 of the 5 that wanted to enter haven't been able to?

I'd feel it would be unfair if my entry (so far the only one) won by default.

Perhaps an extension to this contest should be arranged since 3 of the 5 that wanted to enter haven't been able to?

I'd feel it would be unfair if my entry (so far the only one) won by default.

Sounds fair to me. Another two weeks, I think.

New Contest Deadline is December 18!!!

Yay, thank you, catstaff! *typetypetype*

Props and mucho glomps to Takhesis for being a generous soul, and fostering the spirit of sportsmanship and fun.

Y'know, I never have trouble coming up with titles for pieces I write, but this one stumped me. xd.png I've tentatively titled it "Prologue." I went back to my "Gladiator" fandom for this one, about Maximus and his wife. Here it is, finally:

PROLOGUE

Edited by blackdragon71