Dav0

Description Comment Options

You know how when you describe a dragon, and you get comments from other users? Well they disappear when a mod approves the description, and I never get a chance to look at them, could it be possible to change this so that you are able to see what people think about your descriptions after the mod approves it?

And if you don't like a certain comment, you can delete the comment, but only after a mod approves it. So that you don't loose the constructive feedback when you need it.

Did I do this suggestion right?

This has been suggested before, but I am unsure of wether a desicion was released one way or another. I personally would love to see it implemented. Not only to keep constructive comments, but compliments as well. I'm sure everyone has gotten one that made them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And comments that are maybe reminders of a rule you keep forgetting, grammar or otherwise, would be very useful if they were kept. I know there is always screenshots, but this would be much more convenient.

Not to mention the mods are quite quick in approving descriptions recently, that you have no time to look at user comments. I don't know if I got any at all for some of my dragons.

Edited by Dav0

Personally I would love it if this idea was implemented wub.gif

This. I never do this type of thing, but it'd be nice to have /there/.

I would actually really like this, it's always good to improve yourself. Also, I want that warm fuzzy compliment feeling!

I'd rather not save the comments, but being able to at least read them once after the description has been approved would be nice.

~Bump since it was mentioned in another topic~

Uhm,I think Sock was talking about my reply.tongue.gif

I was browsing all suggestion threads listed in Description Force! and didn't see this thread.

And yes I fully support this. Some comments are really really lovely and I would like to keep them.

If I remember correctly this was shut down a while ago with the argument of it taking up too much memory.

How about (like ab613 implied) having the comments there until you check the dragon's (approved) description for the first time, then you get the warning that the comments will be deleted once you leave the side again. Then you would have a relatively easy option to c&p any lovely compliments or amusing tidbits.

Or (if possible) have the side give you the option of creating a file with your comments that you would just have to export into a word file?

I wouldn't mind this. If the memory was an issue, then maybe a solution like Herk's idea would work... as long as it isn't too complicated.

I submitted a bunch of descriptions the other day and Herk left awesome comments on them all, but I figured they'd take a while to be approved so I decided to wait until I got more to save them. But they were actually approved within a few hours, so I lost the comments that I really wanted to keep. Of course this isn't a normal situation, since descriptions usually take much longer now, but still.

There's bigger description-related things that I'd push more to have implemented. So, definitely not a priority issue by any means but a feature that would be nice to have there anyway.

Edited by Dimar

Would love to see this added. I really don't see how this could take up too much space (the actual 1000 character description isn't an issue, but a couple one sentence comments per each are too much? Wat), but if it does I guess deleting them after a single viewing or within a month of approval would be alright. The second option there would work best if added along with the ability to quickly tell which of our dragons have approved descriptions.

Herk and Dimar, I know I can reserve those descriptions by different ways but I just would like to see them there:3

And yeah, I agree, there's more important thing to do so this one is not a priority issue. But on the other hand, if description system is going to remodel, why not add additional functions at the same time?

It has nothing to do with storage space or the like.

The purpose of the comments are to provide feedback to help you make the description suitable for the site--that is, the comments should point out any issues that would cause a mod to not accept the description.

If the description is accepted, then those comments are therefore invalid or redundant. How could there be feedback on how to make a description appropriate for the site if it's already deemed appropriate?

That makes more sense than storage issues. That is the purpose of comments, of course, but if a description has nothing wrong with it then reviewers may leave comments that are really funny or encouraging to the author. That's the main desire for having this. Copying the comments yourself is usually the best way to do it, but if you forget or the description gets Accepted before that... well, hence this suggestion.

Definitely not a priority, like I said before, compared to other suggestions. But still an idea that some may find helpful.

Dimar is spot on. I describe all of my dragons, but they're such a minor part of the site and get so little attention sometimes I wonder why I bother. People leaving nice / funny comments is a big part of what keeps me going, so it'd be nice to keep them around--saving them elsewhere can be really time consuming and doesn't work if a description gets approved before I can check it.

TJ, this feature might have been intended to help people rework their descriptions to suit the site, but it has become much more: A way to show appreciation of special descriptions. And, since we all like to read nice comments about our work, these little comments do add to the well-feeling of the people involved.

Dimar is spot on. I describe all of my dragons, but they're such a minor part of the site and get so little attention sometimes I wonder why I bother. People leaving nice / funny comments is a big part of what keeps me going, so it'd be nice to keep them around--saving them elsewhere can be really time consuming and doesn't work if a description gets approved before I can check it.

Agreed.

Still, I'm leaning more toward Herk's approach but with a twist. Instead of leaving the comments until you click into the description page (which can lead to accidents, like not realizing it's approved and quitting the page without knowing the comments would be gone), it would stay for a predefined amount of time, say a month.

Aw, It makes more sense now. If the purpose of comment is ONLY to help you make the description suitable for the site, that's fine. But it seems now we go further than that.

A way to show appreciation of special descriptions.

This.