lttlelola

Re-Event

I think it would be cool if TJ could Re-Event things like easter egg hunts or halloween candy hunt.

Not every user is able to be on DAILY and HOURLY to get these items and it sucks seeing them on other scrolls and not having it.

I'm not saying for the contests like the Trees, but for those who missed doing the hunts. A chance to try, to get them at least.

The holiday events last for several days, sometimes over a week. Halloween and Valentine dragons are a one day release, Christmas dragons is a 3 day release.

Also, TJ is not one to 're-release' anything. If you happen to be around for that year's holidays then they have a right to brag about it. Newer members just have to miss out.

Edited by Dolphinsong

I think it'd be nice if later users got a chance at things like the old ornaments/easter eggs/etc. It's not like having them confers any reward, so why not? Perhaps there could be something of a 'lag,' where if you missed a year then while everyone got new ornaments next year you'd just be able to get the old ones, and then the year after you could get the second year's stuff while those who had kept up with the events got the newest round...

If people still want to feel special for having actually been present during the first chance to get said items, well--isn't having a CB Holiday from that release much more worthy of being proud of anyway? I'd say that alone is the best reward for catching an event on time. smile.gif

Also, TJ is not one to 're-release' anything. If you happen to be around for that year's holidays then they have a right to brag about it. Newer members just have to miss out.

What about leetle trees? They were re-released, and I thought it was a good thing (I have a 2008 tree, yet I always was in favor of giving others a chance to also get one). Surely there is no harm to make it possible for others to get easter eggs they missed, as they do not give perks or anything else (and yes, I have all the eggs and trick and treats and haunted house items).

No. These things re there for people who were there at the time. If you miss it, then you miss it. There's always next year.

Leetle trees are different because the ARTIST wanted them rereleased. It was her idea, as she revealed that she, "had plans for them." Anyway, those aren't the badges or holiday dragons, they were a fun thing she wanted to stay around.

Leetle trees are different because the ARTIST wanted them rereleased. It was her idea, as she revealed that she, "had plans for them."

Your point being? If TJ didn't have wanted to rerelease leetle trees, he would not have had to do it. The plans you are referring to are the different versions of the trees, and those could have been introduced without rereleasing the leetle trees. Yet they were reintroduced, and such could easter eggs as well.

Still, TJ would have to get permssion from EVERY artist involved.

The Lettle Trees weren't a holiday event nor release, they just first showed up during the one Christmas and Kila wanted them continued as she created the trees they turned into. It wasn't a re-release, it was a continuation of a release that was basically paused for a time period.

Offical Holiday events are a one time deal that lasts for up to a week. Other sides do not re-release collectibles gathered during a holiday and the dragons can be bred each year (just cannot get any more CBs of them)

The main arguments against this seem to be pretty thin. Rereleasing items hasn't been done before? Ummm, ok? There's a first time for everything. You'd have to ask permission? Ok, would it really hurt that much to just ask? The OP can even PM the spriters themselves, set up a list like with the other artist permission threads.

Baubles have no effect on anything at all other than looking pretty. Thus I see no reason to deny them to newer players... especially when 2/3 of the holidays have limits on how many holidays you can keep to ensure the cheer is spread around. We'll put in place cheer-spreading measures on the dragons but not share the pretty, unimportant decorations that come with them? Okkk...

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think re-releasing them devalues them a little.

Re-releasing CB holiday eggs is an absolute no from me. I mean, can you imagine if anybody could just grab a CB holly during the Christmas event? They'd be much less special. (It'd probably never happen for Hollies, though). Much as I'd love to be able to get a really nice-lineaged, low-gen, or even better CB Holly... I'd rather something like that be harder to achieve, to be something special for most people. (I know it's not something being really discussed, but I figured I'd throw my $0.02 in on the idea anyway)

When it comes to the badges... Well, I like to think of them as something to show I was around for that event. If anybody could get them, even if they weren't actually around for the event, I'd feel it cheapened it a bit.

Now, if there was a way to differentiate between somebody who got the event during the original run and somebody who got it later, especially if there was a bit of a lag (get this years or get last years, you can't have both), I'd not really mind so mch--it's still special to the people who managed to find time to get on, and allows people who weren't able to/didn't join then to have them, too.

One thing, though, I'd not like to see would be the Carrot Cave or Beat the Heat badges re-released, or any other future badges from one-day events.

Edited by KageSora

I personally don't like the idea of re-releasing events just to get what one wasn't around for. Its not our responsibality to make it so anyone can get it when they wern't around for said event which is always announced before said event even starts. Nor is it our responsability to provide past stuff for new users who weren't around for those peticular events.

I was at the Hotel Hershey this year. They gave out eggs Easter Sunday to those who were present at the hotel. They only made a few hundred. If I came there next year, they aren't going to have those eggs, are they? While they might have new eggs, they won't have that specific one. That's because they were limited edition. If something is available for EVERYONE to get, even after the event, it isn't limited edition and loses its value. If it were rereleased and someone missed the rerelease, would that be fair to them? No. It would be more unfair than not letting anyone who missed the event get the event.

I personally don't like the idea of re-releasing events just to get what one wasn't around for. Its not our responsibality to make it so anyone can get it when they wern't around for said event which is always announced before said event even starts. Nor is it our responsability to provide past stuff for new users who weren't around for those peticular events.

Sometimes people CAN'T be around for them. A lot of people go on vacation during holidays, or are busy--personally I nearly missed the wreath ornaments due to things being so hectic around Christmas, and only got them all due to TJ being very kind and allowing people who missed earlier days to get them all on the last day. Punishing people for things they often can't control is pretty harsh--especially for newer players who, y'know, never even had the slightest chance. They already have to deal with the lameness of no Old Pinks or Frills or CB old holidays, do they really need to miss out on fun pointless decorations too?

One thing I have always loved about DC is that 95% of stuff is obtainable if you work hard. It's not like some other adoptables sites where pretty much every other breed is SUPER LIMITED ONE TIME EVAH release and you can only get a certain amount of pets or whatever. But limiting innocent stuff like this hurts it, and without cause.

@Kagesora: No one's suggesting that CB Holidays become available again after the fact, I'd be against that too. As for differentiating between when badges were obtained...

1. Perhaps the badges could be simpler/plainer in design--for things like the easter baskets or bag of candy, they could always be stuck at 'stage one' in appearance, even if they got all the stuff.

2. Perhaps there could be a lag where they would always be x amount of years behind the people who got everything when it was first released. Then the people who were around to collect them on time would always have more, because even while all the badges remain available to the other players, they can only 'advance' one round per year.

3. Perhaps a date could be displayed to distinguish who got them on time and who didn't, kind of like how we can only tell true original Halloween release Vampires and faux-CB, no-bite-lineage Vampires apart via their catch dates.

Sometimes people CAN'T be around for them. A lot of people go on vacation during holidays, or are busy--personally I nearly missed the wreath ornaments due to things being so hectic around Christmas, and only got them all due to TJ being very kind and allowing people who missed earlier days to get them all on the last day. Punishing people for things they often can't control is pretty harsh--especially for newer players who, y'know, never even had the slightest chance. They already have to deal with the lameness of no Old Pinks or Frills or CB old holidays, do they really need to miss out on fun pointless decorations too?

I personally see it not so much as a "Hey, screw you if you're busy with family, you don't get the nice shiny things" but more of a "Hey, you don't have a lot of family to spend your holidays with? Here, have something nice and shiny as a little present. Thanks for playing!"

]

One thing I have always loved about DC is that 95% of stuff is obtainable if you work hard. It's not like some other adoptables sites where pretty much every other breed is SUPER LIMITED ONE TIME EVAH release and you can only get a certain amount of pets or whatever. But limiting innocent stuff like this hurts it, and without cause.

@Kagesora: No one's suggesting that CB Holidays become available again after the fact, I'd be against that too. As for differentiating between when badges were obtained...

I know nobody suggested it yet, but I figured it was probably a matter of time before somebody at least thought of it even if they didn't suggest it.

1. Perhaps the badges could be simpler/plainer in design--for things like the easter baskets or bag of candy, they could always be stuck at 'stage one' in appearance, even if they got all the stuff.

2. Perhaps there could be a lag where they would always be x amount of years behind the people who got everything when it was first released. Then the people who were around to collect them on time would always have more, because even while all the badges remain available to the other players, they can only 'advance' one round per year.

3. Perhaps a date could be displayed to distinguish who got them on time and who didn't, kind of like how we can only tell true original Halloween release Vampires and faux-CB, no-bite-lineage Vampires apart via their catch dates.

1. I figure it could be like, a different color or something, and the hover-text would say something to indicate it was a re-release. Maybe they could be in gray-scale or something.*

2. That would be more agreeable as well.

3. I think something like that coupled with a sprite-change could be alright.*

All this stuff said, I'm still against the idea in general. But, if it were to be implemented, like I said I'd be happier about some kind of distinction between those who got it on time and those who got it as a re-release.

*Again, though, IMO this should not apply to thinks like Carrot Cave or Beat the Heat or any other future one-day badges. Those I think should stay for those who got on that day, and those alone. After all, it's not like there's work involved like the egg/treat hunting or the card sending or the tree/wreath decorating, they just kinda show up and sit there.

I WAS on for beat the heat [i even caught an egg that day] and didn't get the badge...

I wouldn't be against re-releasing old events, especially if it allowed people who were there but didn't have time to collect all the eggs or whatever to finish the task. Just as long as for the people who completely missed it get a version that lets you know it isn't from the original event.

Personally, I'd be opposed to rereleasing past holiday badges/Easter eggs/Halloween treats/Christmas ornaments. To me, it's a little like wearing a 2010 Live Jam T-shirt when you haven't even gone to any Live Jam concerts. Or an "I ate the whole thing" T-shirt from that ice cream place, when the biggest thing you've ever consumed is a two scoop sundae. Or, from TJ's side of things, like passing out Easter candy from last year instead of buying new.

I know that's not exactly what you are asking for. But to me it's a bit lame and a little cheap to be able to get past holiday badges and goodies when you weren't here for the event.

angelicdragonpuppy, I understand about some people having other commitments. I have family too. And maybe your family is involved together enough that you really don't have a few minutes here and there to do the holiday thing, but it's still your choice. Everyone is given enough notice to make what arrangements suit them. We each set our priorities.

angelicdragonpuppy, I understand about some people having other commitments. I have family too. And maybe your family is involved together enough that you really don't have a few minutes here and there to do the holiday thing, but it's still your choice. Everyone is given enough notice to make what arrangements suit them. We each set our priorities.

I fail to see how a younger teen being dragged off to vacation somewhere without internet has a choice in the matter.

Or even younger kids, where asking someone else to log in to get the stuff for them while they're gone is even more frustrating (if not impossible).

Guys, these aren't shirts from a famous contest, or souvenirs from some exciting locale, they are silly little sprite decorations. Is it really such a big blow to your pride at having been a participant in the original event that you can't share, especially if the latecomers get modified badges or the like? You will already have CB Holidays from the event, and that's what the IMPORTANT reward is, anyway. :/

Letting CB Holidays be re-released would punish older players. It would devalue the trade value of 2nd gens. But re-releasing decorations will not hurt you in any way because you can't even DO anything with them, so let the new players have some fun.

There is a difference between an event and a release when it comes to holidays. The dragons themselves can still be aquired years later through breeding. The event itself is a Limited Time Event, meaning a Once in a Lifetime, not to be repeated.

Things are labled Limited Edition for a reason, they are only around for so long and cannot be aquired afterwards except from those willing to sell said items for bucketloads of money. We do not have a means to sell these trinkets aquired through the holidays but the princible applies, they are Limited Edition events. If you miss it due to family activites it is not our fault, nor responsibality to make sure you get those limited edition items on your scroll. Heck, I doubt I'll even MAKE Valentiens next year, not for the event NOR the release as my lil one is due around Valentines.

There is a difference between an event and a release when it comes to holidays. The dragons themselves can still be aquired years later through breeding. The event itself is a Limited Time Event, meaning a Once in a Lifetime, not to be repeated.

I guess that's where the big difference is... I personally hate one time events (as I said, they're what's turned me away from so many other adoptables sites). I tend to view DC like Pokemon: hard workers can have it all, and making fun decorations be one time events simply so some people can feel proud of themselves needlessly shoots that nice feeling of openness in the foot.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I standing all alone out here? :/

Even pokemon have limited events. Namely events such as the Spiked Eared Pichu for example? Only way to get those is to go to such and such locations during such and such time periods to get them. They don't re-release those eithers for those who missed.

Is it really such a big blow to your pride at having been a participant in the original event that you can't share

It's not about pride. Nothing whatever to do with pride.

Why bother to make events with a limited window of participation if they're not limited? If 6 months or a year later people can go ahead and get the stuff from the events, why not just make every event available all the time? What's the point of even having events if they're available whenever to whomever? The very definition of the word "event" implies something of a limited duration and availability.

e·vent  (-vnt)

n.

a. Something that takes place; an occurrence.

b. A significant occurrence or happening. See Synonyms at occurrence.

c. A social gathering or activity.

2. The final result; the outcome.

3. Sports A contest or an item in a sports program.

4. Physics A phenomenon or occurrence located at a single point in space-time, regarded as the fundamental observational entity in relativity theory.

Those badges symbolize a person's commitment to playing the game. It's a matter of seniority, so to speak. So making them available to newer players does cheapen them.

As far as you not being able to be on during holidays, that's between you and your parents. It's in no way TJ's responsibility to make up for that.

I guess that's where the big difference is... I personally hate one time events (as I said, they're what's turned me away from so many other adoptables sites).

I'm not a fan of them when I miss out, either. But, I do enjoy the feeling of knowing I have something special that other people may not be able to get, so I feel like taking that special feeling away wouldn't be fair. IMO, it would be more unfair to take away the specialness of being there for that one-time event than it is to not be able to get it if you missed it.

I mean, if you can get it later there's very little special about it--many people would be like "So? Who cares if you got it first? I still got it and that's all that matters". But, with a one-time event, it IS special. And even if you miss out on some events, there will likely be another that you CAN participate in, and then you have something special, too.

I didn't get all the eggs on the first easter egg hunt. I wish I did, but I still wouldn't want them to be re-released. You might as well just give them to everyone, even if they are here or not, automatically. It would be fair, right?

Dude.

I'm a compulsive perfectionist, bro. Normaly, if someting I do isn't perfect, I scrap it and start again, or sulk until something takes my mind off it.

I missed Carrot Cave AND the entire Second Festival of Eggs. Sure, I'd love to have them, but I have managed to work past the fact that I can't and just move on with my life. I mean, come on dude, the best example in this thread is the hotel with the eggs. Would you whine like this to the hotel manager? Hard work can only get you so far - the rest is pure luck, like getting a Neglected Dragon - or anything in life for that matter, you need hard work, timing, and luck.

I've missed the first Festival of Eggs and the Beat the Heat badge, but I'm ok with it. A limited event is a limited event. Though, I probably wouldn't really mind a re-event as long as it's clear the trinkets aren't from the original release,I understand why people are against this. I've always seen the DC events as something like "Oh you made time to check out the game even in this busy period, here have this shiny thing as a thank you".