Nadat

Take next [x] eggs

Lots of editing after the dash, keeping the original idea here though.

So you're sitting in the Forest/insert place here that isn't desert, hunting with the other 14 people there, and the Forest isn't moving. At all. Hasn't for the last three minutes, and that's a lot of refreshes. You decide to make it move, hoping what pops up is cool. Click the egg, backspace, refresh... and you see That Egg You Wanted but you're too slow to get back to get it. Or you see another one of That Egg You Really Didn't Want Because You Have Five Billion and there's another long pause as no one clicks anything.

Here's the suggestion: a button that shows up after (two minutes?) of a biome not moving at all, saying take next [x] eggs. You click it, enter the amount that you want AND have room for, and it takes that right-most egg as well as the other couple behind it.

Say you have four egg slots. You can type 4 into the pop-up and you get the right-most egg that's been sitting there and the three queued after it. They may be all the type you don't want. They may be awesome. Either way, you've just wagered *and* made the cave move at the same time. Say you have 7 egg slots but don't want to risk locking yourself, so you just enter 5 in and get five eggs.

This idea may be too code-intensive. It does take away some of the thrill of hunting. But I think it might be safe to say I'm not the only one who fills up six of seven egg slots with eggs they don't particularly want while making a biome move, only to wind up with no one else moving it.

---------------------------------------

Editing to add:

-It's the first to hit the button, keeping the competitive nature of egg hunting.

-The right-most caveblocker is always one of them, so there is a visible change to anyone who does not take this option.

-If people click eggs to get the biome moving to avoid the take-x or take-two option showing up... then the biome is still moving and that's exactly what we want.

-Suggestion: Instead of take [x] and requiring someone to take a certain number, the suggestion of a 'take two' button sounds a lot more practical. One takes the egg that's been sitting there for two minutes and the one after it.

---Further Suggestion: is that you can choose, in your scroll settings, to have it fill up your available egg slots, up to a max of four so that it's fair for people of all trophy levels. (I do like this one and support it)

-Suggestion: Only available to people with slower connections. I'm not sure if this would still move the biome as much, and it does give preference to a set group.

-Suggestion: Longer abandon/teleport timer for those who take this option, ten hours to a day or two. This sounds like it would bring a really good balance to it, and make it a heavier decision. I like the day idea.

-Concern: Makes multi-scrolling easier. The two-minute time limit may help with this?

-Concern: Unfair. Except anyone can take the option.

-Concern: What happens if someone hits it/hits and types at the same time? Same thing as happens when two+ people hit an egg at the same time - the fastest gets it.

-Concern: People clicking eggs randomly to make the option never show up. This still gets the biome moving, and it could be good.

-Concern: People winding up with more CBs that they don't want, only to abandon later. I think hunting does this anyway; when I make the forest move I've already got enough waterwalkers and ochredrakes and harvests. I drop them after five hours. I don't know if there's a way to avoid this.

-Concern: These eggs will be 'free', or unclicked on directly. There's still clicking going on, but if this is a problem then it's a problem. I've not heard of this before so I have no idea of a response at this time.

Edited by Nadat

While I wouldn't necessarily use this, I also think this is also slightly unfair to the other people are hunting in the same biome. While they are waiting for the Cave to move (like all of us) they would actually lose a chance to catch a rare. You could argue that the rare was your 'reward' for being willing to take the egg blockers to keep the biome moving, but it still seems rather unfair to me.

I like this idea - I think it gives people with slow connections or slow reflexes an alternative way of catching rares. Yes, the people waiting in the biome 'miss' the chance to see the rare - but they have the same option to choose to 'gamble' (at the cost of taking blockers) and have instead chosen to hunt.

Perhaps, if you wanted enforce some level of 'cave blocker' removal, you could have it limited to the next two eggs (i.e. the blocker, plus one random)? So you have to take a cave blocker for each 'chance' at a rare?

I don't think this is in any way unfair to the other people hunting in a slow moving biome. After all, they had just as much of a choice to pick up a blocker to move the biome as the one who did sacrifice an egg space.

I do see a potential drawback though. If this were in place wouldn't people in those pesky slow biomes tend to wait deliberately for the "take [x] eggs" button to show up?

Uh, just a question, what happens if people type and press enter at the same time?

Most likely the same thing that happens now when two people click on an egg at the same moment. Not that it is likely to happen at exactly the same moment.

I don't think this is in any way unfair to the other people hunting in a slow moving biome. After all, they had just as much of a choice to pick up a blocker to move the biome as the one who did sacrifice an egg space.

I do see a potential drawback though. If this were in place wouldn't people in those pesky slow biomes tend to wait deliberately for the "take [x] eggs" button to show up?

This could also be good, because with more people in each of the biomes, there is a chance that people will grab an egg or two because they easily get bored waiting two minutes for the option to pop up.

I am HIGHLY against this. For starters, by clicking 'get x eggs' you are basically grabbing eggs WITHOUT clicking them, making it utterly unfair to those who ARE wanting to click them. In all sense of the word, its giving you FREE eggs which isn't something TJ likes.

Most likely the same thing that happens  now when two people click on an egg at  the same moment.  Not that it is likely to happen at exactly the same moment.

No, I meant like...if one person types get 2 eggs, enters, and a split second later someone else who typed get 3 eggs, enters, would the second person get only one egg since the first two overlaps with the first person's or three eggs that were next in line?

Edited by ylangylang

No, I meant like...if one person types get 2 eggs, enters, and a split second later someone else who typed get 3 eggs, enters, would the second person get only one egg since the first two overlaps with the first person's or three eggs that were next in line?

I would imagine that the person who clicked "get three eggs" second would get the second three, after the first two were gone.

But I think that touches on the point I was making about it becoming unfair. If I show up at the biome just at the two minute mark to see ten different people clicking "get x eggs" then I suddenly have no chance to click and get the eggs.

In addition, there is nothing wrong with doing the same thing manually. For example, I will go to a biome that typically moves slowly, center click on the egg in the right most corner, f5 for a refresh, center click again..rinse repeat until I have a full set of eggs. This way, I can pick up the eggs rapidly (like is suggested here) but others can still click the eggs just as I can.

I would imagine that the person who clicked "get three eggs" second would get the second three, after the first two were gone.

But I think that touches on the point I was making about it becoming unfair. If I show up at the biome just at the two minute mark to see ten different people clicking "get x eggs" then I suddenly have no chance to click and get the eggs.

In addition, there is nothing wrong with doing the same thing manually. For example, I will go to a biome that typically moves slowly, center click on the egg in the right most corner, f5 for a refresh, center click again..rinse repeat until I have a full set of eggs. This way, I can pick up the eggs rapidly (like is suggested here) but others can still click the eggs just as I can.

Yeah, theoretically, a newbie who's multi'ing can get 8 eggs on a good day, which is unfair, as he/she didn't really click on them. Besides, if someone's multi'ing, they can empty out a biome pretty soon.

Edited by ylangylang

No, I don't like this. It takes away the whole competitive aspect and replaces it with a gambling game. People would just be milking the desert every five hours and the people who want to actually hunt would never get the chance to.

Or you could, you know, ctrl + click - therefor opening the new page in a new tab -and then refresh so you see what the new egg is.

When I hunt I do a ctrl-click, making the new page show up on a different tab and the cave tab is still there. It lets me click and then immediately refresh. How about trying that? You just have to occasionally go and look at the tabs and see what you caught and delete them.

If nothing else it would help people with slower connections, since they can gamble and try to get an egg that they wouldn't be able to catch normally.

One question is, what happens when the thing pops up and multiple people enter numbers and click "go"? Does the first one through get what they entered and then the next ones get the eggs after that? Or do the others not get any eggs because the biome just moved and the thing isn't applicable any more?

Edited by Pokemonfan13

To Pokemonfan13. I'm interested in this idea, but my luck via dc has risen considerably than what it was, say, a month ago. I've got 3/4 of my egglock covered with rares, pretty 2nd gen silvers and tinsel lines, so I don't really see a terrible need for something like this. But I will support it just because I know my luck will run out fast.

Again this would be completly unfair to those who do not wish to use such a feature. How is it fair if those doing the 'grab this many eggs' land themselves a silver or gold with zero clicking while those who ARE clicking automaticaly miss out because of the auto grab? In the past I do beleive scrolls were burned for using auto grabbers.

I... Don't see how this will actually get anything moving.

If the "get next X" button is there, nobody has a reason to click anything and thus the same eggs will just sit there with everybody going for the "get next X" stuff.

But what happens when there are no more eggs in the queue? Would it vanish? Because then people could just wait and wait and wait for it to show up with it never showing up because there are no more eggs left in the biome after the three in the cave.

Also, I could see people going around and intentionally clicking eggs they don't want to reset the "time since the biome last moved" counter so that it doesn't get a chance to show up.

I think it should be a set "Take two eggs" otherwise people would take all the random eggs in the queue in one go. Or how about taking two sitting eggs with one random egg? I mean, the option would be "take three eggs" and out of this three, two would be those already in the cave. That would make the biome move, I hope. And this could still be combined with the Ctrl method smile.gif and really make the cave move. (Honestly, I very often see the next egg with Ctrl and prove to be to slow to click them. I would love this feature.)

Downside: if common eggs don't get taken from the cave "willingly", they would end up in the AP very soon, causing blocks except for the grace periods in every hour. There would possibly be a lot more unwanted CB eggs, which is not the point of the game.

As for the "two people clicking the button at the same time" situation: the one who clicks it first would get the random egg. The one who clicked too late would get the "You reach out for these eggs, but somebody takes them faster." message and get no egg. But at least the cave would move so they could also have their chance at a new egg smile.gif

There are a lot of good comments here. The take two option instead of take x actually sounds the best, because then there's no typing. It keeps the competitiveness to a click. And it can't be abused if there's a two-minute no-biome-movement time limit. Things will have had to sit for a time. It's not like you can fill up all that quickly.

Again this would be completly unfair to those who do not wish to use such a feature. How is it fair if those doing the 'grab this many eggs' land themselves a silver or gold with zero clicking while those who ARE clicking automaticaly miss out because of the auto grab? In the past I do beleive scrolls were burned for using auto grabbers.

They're still clicking. They're still taking risks, and they're still going to, more times than not, wind up with a cave blocker. And while they're looking at the two they got, someone can get whatever else shows up. How is this unfair? You have an equal chance of using the take-x or take-two function.

If the "get next X" button is there, nobody has a reason to click anything and thus the same eggs will just sit there with everybody going for the "get next X" stuff.

They can still take. It's a two minute wait. Short enough to be worth it, long enough to dissuade everyone sitting and waiting on it.

But what happens when there are no more eggs in the queue? Would it vanish? Because then people could just wait and wait and wait for it to show up with it never showing up because there are no more eggs left in the biome after the three in the cave.

It only pops up when there's been a delay of two minutes. It's not there the whole time. And everyone can still see eggs/click on the ones that are there.

Also, I could see people going around and intentionally clicking eggs they don't want to reset the "time since the biome last moved" counter so that it doesn't get a chance to show up.

...And then the biome moves. Which is exactly what this is for.

Edited by Nadat

I like that two-minutes limit. And a stalker cannot be sure when it started, unless they spent the two minutes with pressing the F5 button smile.gif

Having a take two I think reduces the desirability of this option. The first egg is guaranteed to be a caveblocker and you only get one "jackpot" chance. If you can set the number then if you have no eggs and a gold trophy you can take one blocker and have 6 "jackpot" chances.

Although since the number method takes more time it seems to me that anyone who does it within, say 20 seconds of the option appearing gets eggs (unless the biome runs out of eggs, in that case it's first come first serve). Most of them would be blockers anyways, so it would still help the biome move.

Or maybe you can set the number you want to take in your account settings. That way it's just a button but you can take more than two if you have room and set it to the number you want.

Or even have it just automatically set to take the number that you have slots for. So if you've got 7 slots free you get 7 eggs, but if you only have 2 egg slots you get 2 eggs. And the button doesn't appear if you only have one egg slot free, since it wouldn't do you any good.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Having a take two I think reduces the desirability of this option. The first egg is guaranteed to be a caveblocker and you only get one "jackpot" chance. If you can set the number then if you have no eggs and a gold trophy you can take one blocker and have 6 "jackpot" chances.

Although since the number method takes more time it seems to me that anyone who does it within, say 20 seconds of the option appearing gets eggs (unless the biome runs out of eggs, in that case it's first come first serve). Most of them would be blockers anyways, so it would still help the biome move.

Or maybe you can set the number you want to take in your account settings. That way it's just a button but you can take more than two if you have room and set it to the number you want.

It does reduce the desirability. But someone had a good point about instantly filling up with eggs, and the point of this is to make the biome move. It's still a gamble. Hm. I wonder if there's a way to balance it out. Maybe make someone able to use it only once a week, and they can set the number in their settings...

I don't think it should depend on the tropy, or else gold-trophiers woulds have a lot more chance to get a rare than a newbie. I thing the eggspace difference is enough privilege for those who have more dragons. (Yes I do have a gold trophy.)

I don't think it should depend on the tropy, or else gold-trophiers woulds have a lot more chance to get a rare than a newbie. I thing the eggspace difference is enough privilege for those who have more dragons. (Yes I do have a gold trophy.)

It doesn't depend on the trophy, it depends on how many free slots you have. But if you have fairness qualms then make the maximum be 4.

And Nadat, I hit edit and added a suggestion after you quoted, so please read it. =3

I am HIGHLY against this. For starters, by clicking 'get x eggs' you are basically grabbing eggs WITHOUT clicking them, making it utterly unfair to those who ARE wanting to click them. In all sense of the word, its giving you FREE eggs which isn't something TJ likes.

I agree with this, completely. And this:

Besides, if someone's multi'ing, they can empty out a biome pretty soon.

One of my biggest pet peeves is how people multiscroll by playing their [insert friend or relative here] scroll. I *know* it isn't allowed, but in reality I know there are people who use their brother's/sister's/son's/daughter's/cousin's, etc scroll every now and then for whatever purpose. A personal could treat this function like a grab-bag and nab a ton of eggs at once for the chance that a rare is among them. In my opinion, it would just make things way, way too easy for people who bend the rules.