Sookan

Generation in Breed Page

Just proposing a simple addition that a note be added to show which generation a dragon is, underneath its picture in the Breed action page. Perhaps it could link to the dragon's lineage, too.

This would make it easier to find the right breeding partner, for those of us with too many dragons to remember which nebula was CB and which had the even, 2rd gen lineage.

I personally find it a pain to have to have open a link to my scroll in the other page and CTRL & F the prospective breeding partner, go to Actions > Lineage and find out what could simply be there on the same page I'm viewing.

Not necessarily against this (I might find it helpful), but what about deadlines?

Actually, if the breeding pages had the dragons linked to their lineages in the same manner as do the dragons on our scrolls, we could see all of the info at a glance and just 'go back' to breed the appropriate dragons.

I don't know how difficult/time-consuming this would be, but speaking as One Who Knows Nothing, since it's already coded on scroll pages, would it be so hard to do this for breeding pages?

I foresee gigantic amounts of lag on the Breed page if the code has to go through each individual prospective mate on your entire scroll and count the number of generations before breeding. I have >1000 dragons, and it already takes about 10 seconds for the breed page to load completely. Not in favor of slowing it down even more.

I agree that I'd rather have the dragons' lineages linked from their images on the breed page.

Not necessarily against this (I might find it helpful), but what about deadlines?

Deadlines? The dead parents would be counted as nothing. This would be a 3rd gen.

I'd only want this if (a) it told us if the dragon was even-gen or not (so the above would be a 3E), and ( b ) the other 'link to lineage' option wasn't viable.

I'm also worried about lag...

But what I do is have a spreadsheet with all my breed-worthy dragons on it listed by whether their species, CB, stair, spiral, or even, gen, set mate (if any) and some have the lineage described too...

For example, the headers for the spreadsheet are like this:

Species Name/Code Lineage Gender Alt info Mate Notes

And a sample dragon is like this:

Vine CODE1 3EG M Alt CODE2 SW checkerboard

Lol...obviously, this is a made-up dragon that I don't own...

It might be a lot more work than people are willing to do, but the system is pretty easy to maintain once set up...

Edited by daestarr

Yes - me too - though yours looks neater... xd.png

Deadlines? The dead parents would be counted as nothing. This would be a 3rd gen.

Yeah, then I'd be against this. I don't mind deadlines, and I think that they can make for some very interesting lineages, but I wouldn't want to see anything in the game lends official credence to the idea that the gens are actually reset rather than just tidied up on the lineage page.

It's just that with trading being trading being a large and official part of the game, and with gen count actually mattering quite a bit in that area, I don't think that we need anything that might confuse newer players. I know some folks who have only recently started playing, and it took them a little while to figure out how those kinds of things affected the value of what they were trading and what they were trading for. And while I wouldn't want the site to indicate some type of value of an egg, given that there are too many variable that are constantly changing, I also wouldn't want to see it put forth an erroneous fact that can disadvantage beginners.

Maybe they could just be shown as unknown.

But, aside from that, I agree with others that site slow down, if it would create any, would be a deal breaker.

I don't know how difficult/time-consuming this would be, but speaking as One Who Knows Nothing, since it's already coded on scroll pages, would it be so hard to do this for breeding pages?

This made me think of you as Voldemort. xd.png

Hm... Food for thought, for sure.

I'm dubious about the lag argument, though. I would think that loading Scroll Page > Action Page > Lineage Page would cost more in server resources than displaying a table entry (less than ten characters per dragon), and would be worth any strain it put on the server at any rate.

(A workaround would be the option to show breeding partners in pages so that one is not loading 1000+ dragons plus code/name plus generation. Since refusers go to the bottom, how often would you go past page 1 anyway?)

I'm also worried about lag... 

But what I do is have a spreadsheet with all my breed-worthy dragons on it listed by whether their species, CB, stair, spiral, or even, gen, set mate (if any) and some have the lineage described too...

For example, the headers for the spreadsheet are like this:

Species    Name/Code        Lineage    Gender    Alt info      Mate        Notes

And a sample dragon is like this:

Vine          CODE1              3EG          M            Alt            CODE2      SW checkerboard

Lol...obviously, this is a made-up dragon that I don't own...

It might be a lot more work than people are willing to do, but the system is pretty easy to maintain once set up...

This isn't really feasible for most, but it is a possible alternative. I'd only do it if there was an option to export your scroll to Excel.

Edited by Sookan

Eh. I'm not sure how useful this would be to me as I still wouldn't know if that dragon was a staircase or an even-gen or a messy dragon. I too prefer the clickable link to lineage/view page option. (Here's the topic for anyone else who wants to support it~)

This isn't really feasible for most, but it is a possible alternative. I'd only do it if there was an option to export your scroll to Excel.

Why isn't it ? I did it AFTER I got to around 900 dragons and started to lose my memory unsure.gif - it doesn't take that long. (And - and I CANNOT see the cave doing this) a DIY version makes it much easier to check who gets to breed with whom and whose children are whose...

Dragons show up in the same order in the Breed action page as they do on the scroll, with the exceptions of successful partners being moved to the top. So I've just sorted all my dragons according to their generation and then breed (CB at the top, followed by 2nd gens, 3rd gens and so on, inbreds and messy lineages are right at the bottom), and I know them well enough that it's pretty easy for me to scroll down to the right mate even though I have over 1700 dragons now. However, I would *love* the dragons on the Breed page to be linked to either their View or Lineage page, for those occasions where I have a blank moment or am on one of my sporadic test-breeding sprees.

One of these days, I'll finish the dragon spreadsheet I started and upload it to GoogleDocs. rolleyes.gif