Fluttershy16

Bite Lineages (Vampires)

Hey there!

I was just browsing through my dragons, and noticed my little vampire hatchling. I clicked on him to help him grow, and saw the dragon that had bitten him. Since I have nothing better to do, I clicked on his biter then her biter and so forth.

And I realized, we have a linage for dragons who have been bred, why not have a bite linage? I know it would be hard work for the workers of DC, but it would be easier to tell what generation of bite the vampire is.

This is just a suggestion, thanks for taking your time to read this!

I thought about this too, but didn't have the sense to post about it. I would like to have this lineage also, just to see who bit who.

Bite lineages are rather recent. And a lot of the old data has been lost. So there are a lot more "CB" vampires than were really released on Halloween. Enjoy that we have basically bite lineages now, even though most cannot trace themselves back to the original halloween release.

I would also like this, but you should work on it a little. Not all bitten eggs are CB, so how would you show both lineages?

IIRC, TJ is the only one who codes for DC, as it's his site. He does everything as far as I know. So it's not workers, it's worker.

Dunno how much I'd care about anything like this, but if it was possible I don't see why not. It could be interesting.

I would think that in a case like this, the bitten lineage would simply replace the "bitten by" link, and you'd see the lineage instead of just the dragon that bit it. That would allow for both the lineage of non-CB dragons to show, as well as the bitten lineage.

Or maybe it could go below it.

Perhaps to solve the issue of there not being data going back to the very first ones, when the lineage reaches the end it simply reads "the lineage data beyond this point is too damaged to read", which would indicate that it's not the original vampire, but it's as far back as the records go?

My question, though, is how would the lineages look? You don't have two parents, and the biters can alternate gender in the generations.

Edited by KageSora

Here's what I picture.

It would first show your dragon, like in a regular linage. But then it would go to the biter of YOUR dragon, then of THAT dragon, and so forth. It would be nice and neat, and also makes it easy to find out what generation of bite your Vampire is.

*shrug* That's your opinion, and I can see your point.

But to me, it would be easier to hit one button-the 'Bitten By:' part of the thingy below linage and owner, than hit biter by biter by biter.

But we all have opinions. ^^

My question, though, is how would the lineages look? You don't have two parents, and the biters can alternate gender in the generations.

I imagine they'd just look like a diagonal line of dragons--they'd be a lot easier than the current lineages, really. Just dragon --> biter --> biter --> biter and so on. A straight line of dragons as opposed to the branching monsters that real lineages can be xd.png

This sounds like a good idea--it might not be 'necessary,' but simply because someone can do something in a much more time-consuming way doesn't mean we shouldn't look for ways to do such things in a faster and more efficient manner. XP

Yeah, that's what I wanted them to look like. It would be easy to tell what generation your Vampire is.

You can find THAT out with one of the off-site generation counters.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/DFMJO is 15th gen and shockingly inbred xd.png. 23 dragons appear more than once xd.png

You can find THAT out with one of the off-site generation counters.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/DFMJO is 15th gen and shockingly inbred xd.png. 23 dragons appear more than once xd.png

I don't think they meant THAT kind of generation. tongue.gif

I think they meant Vampire from -08 as Gen 1, those bitten by them as Gen 2, those bitten by Gen 2 as Gen 3 and so on. wink.gif

But with some bite data lost I don't think this end up as reality, I'm afraid. sad.gif Several of my Vamps are missing who they are bitten by and who they in turn bit themself.

Perhaps to solve the issue of there not being data going back to the very first ones, when the lineage reaches the end it simply reads "the lineage data beyond this point is too damaged to read", which would indicate that it's not the original vampire, but it's as far back as the records go?

I think this, or some close variation of it, would be a nice way to solve that issue. smile.gif

After all, the loss of that early data is already affecting vampires even with their current method of displaying bite 'lineage,' correct? You can only go back so far even if you open the links one by one. So this shouldn't be such a drastic change--just a note saying 'blah blah rest can't be read' if the dragon's birth dates don't correlate to the original vampire release (showing it's not a true CB) as opposed to the current method of displaying, well, nothing where the bitten link normally would be.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

This would be rather interesting, so I don't really see a reason for it not to be implemented, at least. :3

Perhaps first we have to restore that before even thinking about adding new things.

Once the data is gone, I don't know if there'd be a way to restore it, especially not after all this time has passed.

I'd figure that if it was easy enough to do, TJ would have done it already.

But like I said, we don't NEED it, we just need to indicate that the data was lost.

I would like this. It seems like it should be easy enough to do too. And like already stated, if the data was erased/lost just have something like 'the writing is impossible to read' or 'the rest of this lineage is torn and ruined, making it unreadable.' I'm sure someone else can come up with something better.

Even if it were possible, I'd say no. It would be a straight line of vampires which can easily be mapped by the player if they wanted to.

This crossed my mind earlier today and I just had to check if anyone else had already thought of it. Love this suggestion!

I'll go ahead and say that I don't really see the point in this, as it would really just be a straight line of who bit who, which you can easily find with a little clicking (a lot less clicking than lineages take). The data also isn't recovered for everything, so if we were to get this, I'd prefer only when/if that data could be retrieved. o3o

I have wished for this idea in the past. Before the bitten by messages started showing up, my group of friends did a bite lineage project where all of our cb vamps were bitten by a certain dragon, and given a name based on what number they were in the line to be bitten (original vamp, vamps name II, Vamps name III for example), and could be traced back in line to the original dragon. I think we stopped counting at 48. A vamp lineage page would be cool, however, most of the dragons that were involved in that project had been bitten before the point where the game started tracking bites (i want to say it was something like a month or two worth of data before the bitten by's started showing up). So most of those original vamps wouldnt be able to be traced back. Any bites after that point could be, but the older vamps wouldnt have lineages going far enough back.

I would be ok with those guys not having lineages before that point though if something like this went into effect tongue.gif

When the Bitten/Bitten By display on the /view/ screen was announced, TJ said he had parsed the logs back through April, IIRC. That the data was there going back to the original enabling of the BSA, but it would require parsing through logs and prep and loading into the db for the 10/31/2009 -> April 2010 gap and he didn't know when that would be done.

Except for one from December, 2010 (data lost? Biter killed? dunno), all of the ones I've seen that were laid since May, 2010 have Bitten By: information, and none of the ones from before April, 2010 do. Granted I've only looked at a few dozen on my scroll and friend's scrolls.

Even if bite lineages in general would be an impossibility, it'd be cool if vampires had a progeny page for their "offspring". Or does this already happen if a vamp has a certain amount of successful bites? Can't say I've seen it myself, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention =o

Even if bite lineages in general would be an impossibility, it'd be cool if vampires had a progeny page for their "offspring". Or does this already happen if a vamp has a certain amount of successful bites? Can't say I've seen it myself, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention =o

http://dragcave.net/lineage/0THU (is an adult at not at risk of death)

it has bitten by and bitten, so you do kind of have the basework there for "lineages"

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler