TLOSpyrogirl

Longer descriptions, please!

How many maximum characters should descriptions have?  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, so I was writing out this really amazing description, when I suddenly remembered that you can only have 1000 characters. Now, I know I can just save my description, shorten it, and put the original with some lengthening it in the fanfiction I'm writing later, but that's not the point. The point is, max description length is way too short. If you have to do the shortening process like I did, it makes the description seems mundane and sloppy, and then you have to start over. I suggest that description characters be lengthened slightly; 1500 words minimum, 3000 maximum. I'd be happy with min, max, or anything in between. Because right now, us writers can come up with some really amazing stories about our dragons and don't want to contain ourselves. What say you?

Let me attach a poll, one moment please.

No. Descriptions are already too backed up. We don't need to make it harder on the people that approve them by giving them even longer descriptions to read.

No. Descriptions are already too backed up. We don't need to make it harder on the people that approve them by giving them even longer descriptions to read.

This, and I'm pretty sure that it's this way b/c of coding stuffs.

Technically, not all users would use the added character count. Most descriptions I've read are two or three sentences. And they (probably) all average at five short sentences. (I haven't been counting.)

And, anyhow, some of us like to read long, well thought out descriptions! It's unlikely someone would use all of the characters unless they had a good idea that might be interesting to read. =) I suppose it would be tiring, though, after a while.

Agreed with Walker. Plus, people can do amazing descriptions that don't come close to the limit and those that just hit the limit, so it's not like it can't be done. x3 If you need help shortening it, check out the description proofreaders in Site Discussion. :3

I don't normally write descriptions, but I do read other people's, and read the other description-related topics here on the boards. I have seen *many* awesome, detailed descriptions, all within the current limit. I see no need to change the limit.

I guess I am one of the few who would like longer descriptions *because* I am not an awesome writer like some people are. Forgive if I would like to write more than bare bones descriptions because my writing skills are not up to par with all of these people.

Apologies for sounding tense, but I am getting a little tired of this being shot down because there are awesome writers out there. Instead of thinking about what great writers can accomplish, we ought to be thinking about helping the average writer.

Edited by Nectaris

I'd support it being larger, myself. I don't think "no because they're too backed up" is a good enough reason not to, since by that logic we should just stop people from submitting new ones at all.

Not that I'm suggesting that.

If they're too long for some people to read, just abstain and move on. If users want to write a metaphorical novel about their dragons, I'm not one to stifle their creativity and fun just because I didn't want to read it.

Obligatory Description mods post: Maybe if we had more mods to review them, chances are that a few would have more tolerance for long reads.

I just want to clear up that we do have the tolerance to read them now, just not the time to read longer ones and get approving all done.

I guess I am one of the few who would like longer descriptions *because* I am not an awesome writer like some people are. Forgive if I would like to write more than bare bones descriptions because my writing skills are not up to par with all of these people.

Apologies for sounding tense, but I am getting a little tired of this being shot down because there are awesome writers out there. Instead of thinking about what great writers can accomplish, we ought to be thinking about helping the average writer.

I'm a little confused. How does allowing more characters help someone who's an "average writer"?

People who aren't great writers don't need to just add more text in order to make their description better. There are plenty of ways to get help with description writing, if you need it or want it.

The Description Proofreading thread is a great help, for instance.

I'm just very unclear on how longer descriptions are going to be helpful to people who aren't wonderful writers. You don't *have* to be a great writer to describe a dragon. But adding tons of extra words usually won't help the description become great.

Lol, that part was mostly tongue in cheek since I pretty much think description mods would solve all problems (yes all of them, simultaneously). Wasn't meant to be an attack on the mods' dislike for reading.

The Description Proofreading thread sure didn't help me with my peculiar problem! I want a refund >=o

Edited by Nine

I think even 2000 characters maximum is too many. If anything, I'd prefer that spaces did not count as characters, but even that isn't much of a roadblock. Things are fine the way they are. A minimum amount of spaces is probably unnecessary as well. If I submit a description, I usually read the user reviews before a mod gets to it, and most of the time they're approved after I've revised them. Members that write descriptions that go over the character limit will be reminded by reviewing members. It all works out in the end.

i would want a bit longer. a few times i have been caught a sentence or two too long.

but i do sympathize with the reviewers.... um maybe if if the editing/review box was larger? because i know looking at a full text box when trying to review makes me want to give up. i can read full novels in a day and that text box makes me want to give up... make sense?

it's because that small box makes it look like there is more writing than there really is.

it's because that small box makes it look like there is more writing than there really is.

just to let everyone know, you can expand the text box by clicking and dragging the bottom right corner of the box. That's what I do, plus its easier to read.

Agreed with Walker. Plus, people can do amazing descriptions that don't come close to the limit and those that just hit the limit, so it's not like it can't be done. x3 If you need help shortening it, check out the description proofreaders in Site Discussion. :3

Just wanting to say I posted a few times to get mine proofread and never did I get it proofread. :( so thats not always the most reliable place to go.

I would like to write whatever I like. I read/approve descriptions, but I don't care. I think no min and no max. Therefore, write however long you want.

EDIT- I reviewed ONE description, and now it tells me there are no more for me to read. Lolz. "Sorry, we couldn't find any descriptions for you to check. This probably means that there aren't very many descriptions left that you haven't checked already. Refresh and you may see more." Win.

Edited by DragonRider5624

Yes please! Most of my descriptions tend to go over the limit, and I have to really work at it to get them to work. And they don't seem to flow as well, which is probably me just being nit-pickity. Or at least take spaces out of the equation.

I'd be happy with it being a little bit longer. For pretty much every description I've written, I've had to cut out some information I didn't want to because the original was just a bit too long...! ^^;

my longest description is about 5 sentences needing over 1000 characters is jut being excessive

^ LOL.

I'm curious if all those who voted for "I think it's fine" are just saying that they themselves would not care if it was lengthened or not, or if they for some reason oppose an increase. I think the wording in the poll is a bit all inclusive and may have skewed results.

If that isn't the case, I'd be interested to hear why some actually oppose an increase. Dislike of reading long descriptions, or something...?

Edit: I don't feel the worries from last year about the backlog really pertain to the discussion anymore, if people are still worried about that.

Edited by Nine

I'm curious if all those who voted for "I think it's fine" are just saying that they themselves would not care if it was lengthened or not, or if they for some reason oppose an increase. I think the wording in the poll is a bit all inclusive and may have skewed results.

There is no "I think it's fine" option. Are you talking about the "I like it the way it is" choice? o.o

In that case I think it means we like it the way it is and don't want it changed for whatever reason, since there's no option that specifically says "Don't want it changed". o3o

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Oh yeah, that's the one-- the 'I like it' option.

I can understand people liking it the way it is, but what I'm wondering about are those who may be against an increase of the limit. If it were increased to 1.5k as an example, they certainly wouldn't be forced to write an extra 500 hundred words and could skip over descriptions if they thought they were too long. I guess I'm just curious what harm an extra 500 word space would do.

I'd be happy with it being a little bit longer. For pretty much every description I've written, I've had to cut out some information I didn't want to because the original was just a bit too long...! xd.png

I often find I am about 4 letters too long... I think that is what will ALWAYS happen, whatever limit we have biggrin.gif

I often find I am about 4 letters too long... I think that is what will ALWAYS happen, whatever limit we have :D

Eh, in my case, I always write out the whole thing beforehand without regard for the character limit, and then cut out what I can. I'm... more than 4 characters over. XD; Consistently a good sentence or two over, I think, when I get to the point of having cut out all the 'bloat' I could and needing to start hacking away at content.