MisaTange

Name Check Thread

Introduction

Hey there! This is the name check thread, where you can ask if a certain dragon name is appropriate or not. Inappropriate names are ones with inappropriate words (good rule of thumb if it is censored by the forum, it is not appropriate in any language) or inappropriate themes (adult content or slurs). Just because a name isn't taken doesn't mean it was inappropriate; it just means it wasn't taken. Naming after songs or drugs or alcohol, names in other languages, etc. are all fine as long as they don't contain censored words or inappropriate content. If you would not post about it on the forum, it's not okay. If you would confidently post about it on the forum, it's probably okay. 

Context is also important with names. Using the word "dick" to refer to the nickname "Richard" is okay, while using it to refer to body parts is not. Slang is also acceptable, as long as the context is safe: "ass" and "jackass" are fine when referring to the animals, but not as an insult.

If you have a name that you are unsure is appropriate, but are worried someone else may steal it if you post it here, you are welcome to PM one of the name checkers instead.

If you are here to report an inappropriate name, please PM a mod instead of publicly posting it. If it's inappropriate, then it is also inappropriate to be posted on the forum.

Rules

1. Spam posts are NOT allowed. That means no chatting here, though you can say if a dragon's name is appropriate or not if a user requests it, even if you aren't a Name Checker.

2. Use the lineage/code link instead of view/code link, please.

3. Follow DC's general rules.

How to Request a Name Check:

Name of dragon:

Link of dragon: (Remember to use lineage links!)

How to Be a Name Checker:

Have at least 10 named dragons, must PM with this:

Scroll link:

Also looking for moderators. Will be looking if they do the right thing.

Name Checkers:

MisaTange - PM

purpledragonclaw - PM

Classycal - PM

DragonGirl10188 - PM

Edited by purpledragonclaw
Updating the rules.

==Banners==

Made by athdaraxen

user posted image

[url=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=113782][IMG=http://i55.tinypic.com/a9nz8j.gif][/url]

Edited by MisaTange

Congratulations, purpledragonclaw, on being a Name Checker!

Since

1) no user has decision ability- only a few of the moderators do, afaik, and admin makes final decision

and 2) many of those decisions follow idiosyncratic logic

How is this thread to work..? It would hurt if some thread "mod" here said that a name was fine when it was actually inappropriate, leading the person to not check actual authority.

Sometimes members would like to bounce their naming ideas off of other members to see how it sounds or if it is appropriate. This frequently happens if someone wants to name their dragon in a language other than English.

I look at this as beta-testing names out. While we don't have decision ability, I think we can gauge what may or may not work for naming. We also have DC moderators that go through the threads who can confirm whether or not we are giving members good advice on how to name their dragons.

Moderators are able to give opinions in this topic, or by pm. We will be able to let you know, if a suggested dragon name is appropriate or not.

What about;

Shiny shiny tv ho?

:X

The word "ho" might be troublesome, since it is slang for a derogatory term used to refer to women. Is there another word you can use instead?

Edited by purpledragonclaw

I have- OHO! hoe biggrin.gif

I have already named it, but I don't want that dragon removed. xd.png.

-goes off to name it again~ biggrin.gif-

Ummm, what's Santa to do, if 'Ho, Ho, Ho'-ing is to be banned?

I don't think TJ or any of the mods are going to be unreasonable, if a popular misspelling of one term with vulgar connotations resembles an entirely unrelated other, especially as the elimination of all such words in our increasingly slangy society would make serious inroads into the variety and usage of the English language...

Edit: sentence under reconstruction.

Eeek! I'd created a monster.

Edited by Syphoneira

If you have to ask someone else's opinion on whether or not *they* think it is inappropriate, odds are, it's inappropriate...

*shrug*

If you have to ask someone else's opinion on whether or not *they* think it is inappropriate, odds are, it's inappropriate...

*shrug*

Having an opinion can not hurt.

(Although I have given the same reply, many times.)

Well, I'll bite-- is the name 'Cock' appropriate for a dragon/chicken or would I get banned, drawn and quartered for using it?

Keep in mind I'm not being vulgar for the sake of it =/ I've got Hens and Chicks, Gallus Gallus, so I figure Cock would be a nice addition to that theme. It's also part of a gun and probably other mundane things I don't know about =p

Any heads up from a mod would be appreciated too, in case it gets reported!

Edited by Nine

The name is already used.

Male chickens are primarily known as cocks.

Edited by _Z_

What about...Fathead?

Fathead, as long as it is not already used is not a problem.

Edited by _Z_

Fathead, as long as it is not already used is not a problem.

Fabulous, thank you very much~

*tips hat*

... Is 'Dragoneater' as a surname for a dragon okay? xd.png

Haha, loving that surname.

Also, I don't imagine that getting reported.

The name is already used.

Male chickens are primarily known as cocks.

I have a question about this and am hoping this isn't spam. My understanding is that someone named a chicken "cock" and got in trouble. English was their second language and they did not understand certain other meanings...

I just did a search and discovered a dragon with that name in existence. It's not a chicken, but the name proved acceptable. I think it's context that's important.

I have a question about this and am hoping this isn't spam. My understanding is that someone named a chicken "cock" and got in trouble. English was their second language and they did not understand certain other meanings...

I remember that one. The full name was "I Like Cocks". The poor kid was german I believe, and had searched for the english word for rooster in a dictionary.

To be honest, us non native english speakers might have some trouble, as many times we might not fully understand the local meaning of certain words.

For example, the correct name for a female dog also can be used as an insult for women. A non native not fluent in the culture as well as the language might not know so. As a simile, the spanish name for female dog is "perra", which can also be used as "lazy". Same for the male form (perro), which is also a term to refer to a lazy person. Guess our dogs must be lazy tongue.gif.

You're right, culture has a lot to do with it. In Japanese, the word for "sweet" is also the word for "lazy." I think most languages have double meanings embedded in a lot of their words.