Sinsdaemn

Reasons behind the Names

If I've placed this in the wrong section or created a duplicate of a pre-existing thread you have my sincerest regrets. That was not my intention, and further it is due to my lack of skills in searching and nothing more. v____v

In any case, I'm rather curious as to the rationale behind the christening of dragons. Is there a particular story behind what you chose? To start off, I suppose I should share one I know. A friend of mine wished to gift me hatchlings and eggs. She had two Sunsongs and two Nebulas. They were going to be twin soulmates when they grew up. Unfortunately I wasn't able to snag the first tentatively traded one.

Now left with a mismatched hatchling and being quite the romantic she chose to name the Sunsong West of the Moon East of the Sun after a Scandinavian tale that might bear resemblance to Psyche and Eros (for those of you that aren't as familiar with it). The phrase is switched around because it was the second.

/endshoddilytoldtale

Coming up with unique names is not easy, I often change a name two or three times while a hachi grows up before settling on a name.

Looking up the characters of great epic tales is a big source of inspiration

I have been making descriptions for the nebulas and putting in the names of nebulas for them. There are many nebulas so I thought it would be very easy to name especially two of them. Pillars of creation dragoner and Orion nebula dragoner are, imo, very easy to name.

Usually they're just named after their parents or it was named by the person who gifted me that dragon. Either that or they're just unique names off the top of my head or from the code.

I name most of mine randomly. Some of them come out semi-awesome, some don't. I like to look at different mythologies for inspiration but not often. My Holiday dragons are usually given irreverent names.

Most of my dragons are named by code...There are only a handful that have special names.

Lagie Sat on Me, named for the famous Lagie of CPA.

Jay and Draco, the split named for my friend.

And then there are the old dragons (particularly the couple first) that are named by the first word that came to mind. Speelia (speed), Embora (ember), Brigha (bright), Fisa (fish), Clourae (cloud), Componok (compost), et cetera.

And then code namng fails. Shining examples include Alfearoek (eZrA?), Washackla (wash), Mahjore (oRTG?), and last, but certainly not least, Wrorqap (WrQP). I could change them, but they've sort of grown on me. laugh.gif

Quite a few are named and described after my favorite video game characters- GLaDOS, Chell, Samus, Thane, etc. Some are named to make up songs (the mass of frozen black and pinks, as well as some of my Frills), and some of my Vines are being used for one of my favorite poems smile.gif

The Legion Vampires, for the most part, have Latin or Roman names, and are specifically chosen to tie into some aspect of their personality/history (Aurelian is rumored to have been a Gold egg, Felixia is lucky, Pax is a peacekeeper).

My Sweetling, Pastillage, was just named after a thick paste used in sugar sculptures, and his (approved) description mentions him being a baker xd.png

Oh, and one of my Cheese dragons- The First Space Cheese was (re)named the day it was announced a wheel of cheese had successfully returned from being in orbit xd.png

The last one that really has any story behind the name is my Ribbon Dancer, Notre Dame de Holly- mostly taken from the Notre Dame de Paris cathedral (because of the bell association), and it seems that at least one of my Christmas dragons has to have Holly in the name- Holly Gryphon, Evergreen Holly, and now... well, Note Dame de Holly xd.png

(And while the first was not named for the event- in fact, he was named just a couple hours before it happened- all my Pygmy dragons have something involving damaging servers in their name xd.png The first one, I eated your server, was just because I'd been looking at lolcats for the hell of it. Then a couple hours later the whole Datamonster thing began... his description reflects this x3)

Edited by Dr. Paine

Ah, a dragcave user I actually recognize. Dr. Paine, I do believe you are....psychic. Srsly, no other explanation for it.

Evilbunny, I must say there was a time I'd considered making a lineage of code fails. Honestly, some codes could be twisted just perfectly into names.

I must admit I'm prone to taking a bit of the parents name and meshing it into something that sounds okay as well, Misa. Beribboned Hiro is like this, and so is Fey Song.

I name most of mine randomly. Some of them come out semi-awesome, some don't. I like to look at different mythologies for inspiration but not often. My Holiday dragons are usually given irreverent names.

xd.png I can agree with this, although occasionally I name my dragons with a parental surname or twist the code a bit. =3 It adds an interesting and fun aspect to dragon cave. biggrin.gif

-Kressy

Edited by Kressym16

I name most of my dragons after their breeds/appearance - i.e. Cold Queen for winter seasonal, Iceleya for Ice, etc.

Some are named after friends: In Honor of ____, and I have one named after my friend Infinis called Infiniseph. ;D

Now left with a mismatched hatchling and being quite the romantic she chose to name the Sunsong West of the Moon East of the Sun after a Scandinavian tale that might bear resemblance to Psyche and Eros (for those of you that aren't as familiar with it). The phrase is switched around because it was the second.

/endshoddilytoldtale

I love the story East of the Sun and West of the Moon. smile.gif Or west of the Moon and East of the Sun. WHATEVER. Same story. =_= /memoryfail

/ontopic now

I tend to name certain groups of dragons after certain attributes they have, like color or breed or something. For example, all of the names of my silvers have something in their name pertaining to darkness/silver/moon themes, and all my golds have glittering/glimmering/gold themed names. All my ices have cold names, etc., and so on.

I think all of my dragons have themed names, lol, except for the ones where I only have one of the breed.

I have a couple that are outsiders to the theme of their breed because of their codes. I have a gold named "You are Kad" because its code is kadU or something like that. And I own myself - a friend gifted me a stripe with the code Inf2. So I named it after myself o3o

Even some of my holidays have a theme. All of my Christmas ones have kind of Christmasy names. xd.png (My Ribbon Dancers' names: The Ghost of Christmas That Is and The Ghost of Christmas To Come lol)

...Wow, didn't realize I actually had a naming scheme here. owo

Edited by Infinis

The vast majority of mine are named after something to do with their breed in Latin. Like my water dragons are named after various names for water or things dealing with water.

Seasonals are named after plants, Hemerocallis, for example, which is the name for daylilly. It also happens to mean beautiful day.

Vampires are named after various characters in The Malazan Book of the Fallen. T'rohlbarahl for example was a vampire-like creature in the books.

I have a few that aren't named with any of my surnames(Australis, Borealis, and Undarum), and most of them are named randomly. A few however are also characters from the series mentioned above.

D'aaaaawwwwwww. ;3

I named one after a friend of mine who rescued my egg and allowed it to live by posting it in an ER when I still didn't know much. It took me awhile to realize that said dragon was male and so I changed the name to Legacy of Zara instead.

oh yes, I tend to name my Vines in a (descriptive word) (plant) fashion... I just kind of like the way it looks.

I love the story East of the Sun and West of the Moon. smile.gif Or west of the Moon and East of the Sun. WHATEVER. Same story. =_= /memoryfail

It's East of the Sun West of the Moon. ^^

She'd only switched it around because the other one would've been that and yeah.

I tend to name certain groups of dragons after certain attributes they have, like color or breed or something. For example, all of the names of my silvers have something in their name pertaining to darkness/silver/moon themes, and all my golds have glittering/glimmering/gold themed names. All my ices have cold names, etc., and so on.

It only just makes sense though! And so, I do the same. Latin seems to be a popular language too with this. Sempervirens (always green, ever green) and the other, it makes the name kind of pretty as well as provides a short description.

It's East of the Sun West of the Moon. ^^

She'd only switched it around because the other one would've been that and yeah.

It only just makes sense though! And so, I do the same. Latin seems to be a popular language too with this. Sempervirens (always green, ever green) and the other, it makes the name kind of pretty as well as provides a short description.

I name mine in English unless I find a cool word in another language (and by cool, I mean it sounds cool to say). My GoNs are named Silbernacht and Kristallnacht (Silver Night and Crystal Night, German). :U

I'd thought of naming some of them in Latin but I couldn't find a decent translator. :x

Some of mine also follow a disease/medical type naming scheme. I have a black named Hemorrhage and a pair of vines named Ebola and Bubonic Plague. o3o

I started playing DC while in grad school, so I would name my dragons pertinent terms from whichever course I had been taking at the time. Looking at my scroll is a bit of a review and a lot of a memory trip. tongue.gif

Since I started my clinical affils, and then since graduation, I've fallen very much behind in naming. With the exception of those descending from my CB metallics, all my silvers are named after blood vessels and all my golds (with a few exceptions) after nerves. One of these days I will get around to naming the humongous unnamed pileup.

When I first began playing, I decided my dragons should have a surname. And somehow... I came up with Celestial. Don't ask me why or how, but I did.

At first, I named all my dragons after Celestial Names but I started running out of names I liked so I just started naming them random names. Most of the time I try to stick with a theme within the breed, and I try to name them according to their description or looks. Sometimes I just think of random funny names, every once in a while I use that site if I can't think of a name and really want to name a certain dragon.

I have about 200 unnamed dragons right now, which may seem like a lot but I have over 750 dragons so.... I try. tongue.gif

For my Vampire dragons, I had the brilliant (not really) idea of naming them after the seven deadly sins. Of course, those were taken therefore I added "Omen of" before the sin. For example, Omen of Envy. As my Vampire hoarding obsession grew, naturally I ran out of the more known sins, so I decided to visit a thesaurus and find some synonyms for the words, e.g Omen of Avarice. I'm slowly running out of those as well, might have to start being a little more creative. laugh.gif

My second favourite naming scheme is for my Hellfire Dragons. Using a thesaurus I searched for synonyms relating to the words disaster, destruction and so on. Next, I searched for a word that would describe the disaster, ensuring to keep the starting letters the same. Essentially I ended up with names like Cataclysmic Catastrophe and Hazardous Holocaust. One person even continued this naming scheme, naming the dragon in a similar fashion.

For my Nebula dragons, their names are directly linked to things in space. For example, since Heliosphere and Heliopause were taken, I went to the next best thing; Magnetopause and Termination Shock. Running out of words/things relating to the Heliosphere, I decided upon names of star constellations, often mixing two together. For example, Hydra Indus and Cepheus Lynx. Another lesser naming scheme with my nebula dragons was Numerology and Astrology, both of those being taken I simply changed it to Numerologis and Astrologis. I named one the only child of theirs I kept Astronumero. smile.gif

The naming scheme I adopted for my Harvest dragons is simple; Harvest of "insert fruit/vegetable here". Quite simple and it looks okay in lineages. My green dragons have names with two words of disasters mashed together, for example, Distastrophe and Armaclysm.

Sometimes I'll get a dragon that has a lineage, I'll name the dragon after their parents. For example, I named one of my dragons Vespicee, her parents first names were Vespa and Picee.

Most of my other dragons just have a random amount of letters twisted to sound like a name, it works sometimes. After reading this thread I never realised I had this many different naming schemes. blink.gif

Sorry about the massive wall of text. xd.png

No need to apologize, that was fun to read. And I learned something new, my friend has an egg of your Nebula pair. ^^

Most of my recent dragons were gifts, where I always follow the parent naming scheme if possible and at least reference the parent names if not. They're also often project dragons that carry line names/styles, so I don't have much of a choice. At a certain lineage pileup (4+), if bred from dragons I own, I just eliminate all the suffixes/prefixes and append Curio/Curious/Curiosity instead. Thus I have Dusk Dorkface Thuwed spriter alt descendants named things like The Complete Curiosity.

Otherwise, I'm very fond of real words and try to pick words that have some relation to the parents. Often the relationship doesn't make sense to anyone but me .-.

@ Infinis

I have a couple that are outsiders to the theme of their breed because of their codes. I have a gold named "You are Kad" because its code is kadU or something like that.

Lies, it's totally Kad University :'P

Curious, is Kristallnacht named only for the literal translation?

The word itself is the name for the Night of Broken Glass, a pogrom against the Jews perpetrated by Nazis in the late 1930s. If you already know this, please excuse :3

Edited by kadoatie

I name most of my dragons from their appearance/breed X3 I also like one worded names, like Aluminum and Degree (just to name a few)

I do have a few dragons that are exceptions to the above:

Augustus Rex- my gold that's named after Augustus Caesar (first Roman emperor, if my memory is right) and Rex meaning "king" in Latin :3 I think it's a very nice name for a gold ^-^

Dino series- I named all my dinos rhyming names ^-^ So they are: Bynx, Tynx, Kynx, Pynx, and Chynx :3

Derv- I named him based on his code (Derv) I picked up an egg from the cave hoping it was pink but it turned out to be a flamingo. I decided to keep it for his code <3 I'll have a few more of these down the line as I get more dragons with cool codes, probably ^-^

And finally I have some dragons that carry on named from their parents, like Dorkfaces and Thuweds X3