~!~

Variety with Action Security

In light of many past (and future, since this was originally posted) topics, I'd like to make a proposition:

Have an option to get rid of security measures on actions. Or, better yet, let the user pick and choose specifically which actions get security measures and which ones don't. I think they're pretty annoying, but for others they come in handy. Plus, it would allow suggestions like the one stated above to be more viable without annoying the heck out of people like me who don't like the security measures in the first place. (I don't really understand why Kill and Name get password protection while Freeze and Abandon don't. They produce equally permanent results, and in most cases an erroneously named or frozen dragon can be just as useless to a user to one that isn't on their scroll at all. Heck, Incubate gets password protection, and the only downside it has is that you can't Incubate another egg with that same Red for a week.)

(I realize there are many ways to get around this without having the site change, but my question is this: When users were complaining that their little brother came on and killed their dragons, did they get a feature to fix that? When users were complaining that they hit "kill" when they really meant "freeze," and did they get a feature to fix that? If that had happened now, they would surely have been met with "No! Deal with it! If it ain't broke don't fix it! Have your own security measures! Be more careful! Rawr!" (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.))

As simply put by adp:

I'm grateful for that password double check for harmful actions like killing, abandoning, and even influencing, but I really don't need it for things like fertility, incubate, and even teleport (since lineage doesn't show on that page and I have to double check anyway).

So can we have the ability to choose which actions are protected, rather than having to choose full security or no security? Typing in a long password on actions that really don't need it them after time becomes tedious very fast. ;;

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Oh goodness yes please. If people want real security, lot out each time. I for one am the only one on this particular computer and I hate having to confirm half of the actions I do.

I agree. I don't see any cons having some actions password protected and some not.

If someone really hacks your scroll, they can do w/e they want, because they already know the password. And well, the "little brother" excuse? If there is such evil person, I wouldn't let him get even close to my laptop/PC.

It would be cool if you could just choose whether you prefer password protection for certain actions or not. I believe more would appreciate that.

YES PLEASE!!!

I know that we need the security for users who have siblings, or are simply anxious about someone getting onto their scroll. But for those of us who have never had any problem in that area, it's very annoying to have to type in those securities every single time we do an action. Having it as an *option*, and the option to pick-and-choose, would be sooooo much better.

(I don't really understand why Kill and Abandon get password protection while Freeze and Abandon don't.)

Freeze has a password protect. At least it did when I just pulled it up on one of my hatchlings.

Though I'm for this idea, definitely.

I would like to be able to choose which actions I want password protected - incubate is one that for me doesn't need it. I do like it for kill and abandon but I wish it was optional to have the password protection.

I agree with rubyshoes: abandon, kill, freeze, I like the protection. I have clicked on the wrong action before and those have too drastic consequences for me to want to mess around with them.

However, incubate, influence, stuff like that...I don't want those to need confirmation. I can always bounce the egg if I make a mistake.

I would like to be able to choose which actions I want password protected - incubate is one that for me doesn't need it. I do like it for kill and abandon but I wish it was optional to have the password protection.

Guess I'm covered already - thanks for saving me having to make a comment, lol.

It would be REALLY nice if we could choose to turn those off. They can be a big inconvenience at times, and if you're confident that no one will go into your account and do anything to your dragons, you could save a lot of time and hassle turning password protection off.

i say YES as well. this would be awesome and then no one could complain about security because they pick an choose it themselves.

YES

Me too! Would make life much easier smile.gif

I very much like this idea.

Another idea with this, what about another optional setting where you can set a secret word to use for actions? Like password protection, but there's a separate action password that is the same for all actions that have that as their setting that is different from your login password.

You could use it if you're really paranoid about someone getting into your account.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

(I realize there are many ways to get around this without having the site change, but my question is this:  When users were complaining that their little brother came on and killed their dragons, did they get a feature to fix that?  When users were complaining that they hit "kill" when they really meant "freeze," and did they get a feature to fix that?  If that had happened now, they would surely have been met with "No!  Deal with it!  If it ain't broke don't fix it!  Have your own security measures!  Be more careful!  Rawr!"  (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.))

That's because those of us who already take sensible and reasonable measures to keep meddling siblings out of our accounts should not be forced to have more of these measures forced on us. I'm sorry, but I fail to see where I should be force-fed the excessive corner-padding and coddling meant to protect a small group of users from themselves. It's not even my problem to begin with, I shouldn't be saddled with protection against something that doesn't even affect me. Most users don't have siblings who will try to name all their dragons after assorted synonyms for [insert reproductive organ or bodily function here]. I respond to those threads in the manner comically described above because people are trying to force-feed me medicine for some rare and obscure illness when I don't even show any symptoms. The first measures were fine because there were dire consequences, but now the suggestions are getting really excessive.

In light of that, PLEASE DO let us customize our password protection. If only so we don't have to twitch at those threads anymore for the reason detailed above.

Edited by Lythiaren

I hope you don't think I was talking about you when I said that---you've been around since before the security measures were put into place, and I don't assume your behavior would have changed since then. I was talking more about a general shift in the attitude the community as a whole takes to the issue.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see where I should be force-fed the excessive corner-padding and coddling meant to protect a small group of users from themselves... The first measures were fine because there were dire consequences, but now the suggestions are getting really excessive.

In light of that, PLEASE DO let us customize our password protection. If only so we don't have to twitch at those threads anymore for the reason detailed above.

I'm chiming in on this just like all these posts.

Give us options instead of mandatory handfeeding.

If a person feels they should be nannied through every single action by the site, by all means, let them turn on all password/action protection option available.

But, if they're a person with reasonable computer skills, firm decision-making abilities and no desire to have an interactive website hold their hand (much like myself), then let them turn the password/action protection options OFF.

I mean, I look at it this way. I play World of Warcraft, which has some 12 million users, of all ages, skills & abilities. Do you know what's password protected, aside from the account? Deleting your characters and certain epic or unique items - that's it. There are some confirmation pop-ups, much like for abandoning an egg (which has a Windows-style redundancy factor to it - not only do you have to type 'ABANDON', but then the site asks, "Are you really super-sure you totally want to ABANDON that egg? I mean, I know you typed "ABANDON", but can you click one more button just so I know you're not joking around?") but I don't have to type 'SELL' every time I want to sell an item to a vendor, or 'DRINK' whenever I want to replenish my character's mana.

I hope you don't think I was talking about you when I said that---you've been around since before the security measures were put into place, and I don't assume your behavior would have changed since then.  I was talking more about a general shift in the attitude the community as a whole takes to the issue.

Oh I'm not saying it as though it was talking about me. Just trying to shed some light on why the community is shifting this way. Like I said, putting security on the ones with major consequences attached (like kill or abandon) is a reasonable precaution. But putting it on descriptions and naming? That's... yeah. Having to password confirm most BSAs is pushing it for me, personally. Why should I have another layer of foam attached to my already stiff experience just because of the carelessness of a remote group? :|

Also, the WoW example above is a very good one. I need to confirm the action if I'm going to delete something important (like a character or a piece of gear that's hard/impossible to get back) and I get a confirmation popup when I buy things from the auction house. But the hunter named Buffme doesn't need to confirm that they want to name their wolf "Buffmetoo", or their spirit beast "Lazorcat".

Edited by Lythiaren

You do know they are talking an optional thing right? This suggestion isn't forcing you to do anything password related, in fact, this suggestion gives you the option to get rid of password confirmation entirely.

Why yes, I am aware of that. Why else would I have posted the above?

Why yes, I am aware of that. Why else would I have posted the above?

I misread it then, I thought it sounded like you were against it.

There are some confirmation pop-ups, much like for abandoning an egg (which has a Windows-style redundancy factor to it - not only do you have to type 'ABANDON', but then the site asks, "Are you really super-sure you totally want to ABANDON that egg? I mean, I know you typed "ABANDON", but can you click one more button just so I know you're not joking around?")

You can avoid this by turning off Java wink.gif

That being said the redundancy is what annoys me most.

I'm not sure I need to be protected from myself. Everywhere we go these days someone is trying to take away our ability to make our own decisions!

Perhaps beginners need the "help" ,but the option should be there for the more advanced player who is willing to take responsibility and suffer the consequences for clicking the wrong button. Perhaps scroll levels , similar to those we have on the forum?

I think the reason the popup happens is because people who use password protection don't have that double-check. It does seem kind of silly to have it there for people who use the "action name" security method. In fact, I don't think it serves much use at all; I know I just enter through it without reading it, and I assume others do as well. I figure if people are worried about accidentally using the wrong action, they should use the much more effective action name security.

So I had this idea again and then realized I'd already suggested it. So here I go bumping...

In addition to allowing no security method, I propose to have measures to include both methods, for extra paranoid people. That way, they are protected from trolls, and also protected from making mistakes.

So yeah, checkboxes instead of radio buttons all around.

You can avoid this by turning off Java wink.gif

That being said the redundancy is what annoys me most.

I'm not sure I need to be protected from myself. Everywhere we go these days someone is trying to take away our ability to make our own decisions!

Perhaps beginners need the "help" ,but the option should be there for the more advanced player who is willing to take responsibility and suffer the consequences for clicking the wrong button. Perhaps scroll levels , similar to those we have on the forum?

I support the thread, do not support the addition for trophy levels. I am paranoid and always want to have that extra layer of protection.

As simple as the title says. I'm grateful for that password double check for harmful actions like killing, abandoning, and even influencing, but I really don't need it for things like fertility, incubate, and even teleport (since lineage doesn't show on that page and I have to double check anyway).

So can we have the ability to choose which actions are protected, rather than having to choose full security or no security? Typing in a long password on actions that really don't need it them after time becomes tedious very fast. ;;

As simple as the title says. I'm grateful for that password double check for harmful actions like killing, abandoning, and even influencing, but I really don't need it for things like fertility, incubate, and even teleport (since lineage doesn't show on that page and I have to double check anyway).

I like this. Support!

Cheers!

C4.