Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Taxidermy, aww yeahhh
grimace
Posted: Jul 18 2013, 09:44 PM

Level 8

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,627

Anyone here do taxidermy, or is interested in it?

I am a huge fan of the really bizarre stuff, like the animal hybrids, catcopter, the horrible old stuff, and etc. Been meaning to get a colony of dermestid beetles for a while.

Anyone else interested in it?
Lila
Posted: Jul 18 2013, 10:34 PM

catpoo101

Member No.: 8,802

Not a huge fan. I don't eat meat or wear fur or leather or anything, so. Yeah. It gives me the creeps...those marble eyes .-.
grimace
Posted: Jul 18 2013, 11:47 PM

Level 8

Member No.: 58,627

To be fair, most taxidermied animals were killed for other reasons, or are things that died in zoos or etc.
Posting a few examples of awesome art done with it. ;3c
user posted image
user posted image
catmosphere
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:22 AM

Level 3

Member No.: 188,871

i think taxidermy is pretty neat, so long as it's taxidermy that is made with naturally deceased animals.
i love the art that is done with it, like grimace posted. C:
IcarusTheDragon
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:24 AM

From here To Mars

Member No.: 193,976

Definitely not a fan. I believe once the body is dead, it needs to be returned to the ground.. Whether it be cremation or burial(i prefer cremation) but to have the poor thing's body all torn up... would you want to be a strange hybrid?
dark_kitsune
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:35 AM

Wonderboy...what is the secret of your power?

Member No.: 23,459

I love taxidermy. I think it's a fascinating art form...and yes, it is art. I love the creative pieces but I ADORE bad taxidermy.

My absolute favorite is Swedish royal lion. OMG! laugh.gif

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/hilariously...-lion-taxidermy
IcarusTheDragon
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:39 AM

From here To Mars

QUOTE (dark_kitsune @ Jul 19 2013, 01:35 AM)
I love taxidermy. I think it's a fascinating art form...and yes, it is art. I love the creative pieces but I ADORE bad taxidermy.

i have to admit that's hilarious....
7Deadly$ins
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:42 AM

Guardian Spirit Raina

Member No.: 8,128

QUOTE (IcarusTheDragon @ Jul 18 2013, 11:24 PM)
Definitely not a fan. I believe once the body is dead, it needs to be returned to the ground.. Whether it be cremation or burial(i prefer cremation) but to have the poor thing's body all torn up... would you want to be a strange hybrid?

Isn't cremation less of a "return to the ground" than a burial?
IcarusTheDragon
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:48 AM

From here To Mars

QUOTE (7Deadly$ins @ Jul 19 2013, 01:42 AM)
Isn't cremation less of a "return to the ground" than a burial?

Only if you keep the ashes...
If i cremate, i spread them...
dark_kitsune
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:54 AM

Wonderboy...what is the secret of your power?

Member No.: 23,459

QUOTE (IcarusTheDragon @ Jul 19 2013, 01:24 AM)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all. After I'm dead, I'm pretty sure I won't care what happens to my body. And if we want to truly 'return to the earth' we should be left out for the carrion eaters to get us and the bugs to finish us off. I believe they do that in Nepal...I think. The body is left on a platform and the buzzards consume it. Now that's being part of the circle of life.
Lila
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:57 AM

catpoo101

Member No.: 8,802

QUOTE (dark_kitsune @ Jul 19 2013, 01:54 AM)
Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all. After I'm dead, I'm pretty sure I won't care what happens to my body. And if we want to truly 'return to the earth' we should be left out for the carrion eaters to get us and the bugs to finish us off. I believe they do that in Nepal...I think. The body is left on a platform and the buzzards consume it. Now that's being part of the circle of life.

Well, it's going in my will now
IcarusTheDragon
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:59 AM

From here To Mars

QUOTE (dark_kitsune @ Jul 19 2013, 01:54 AM)

That is exactly what i would rather do
Or a viking burial, on a wooden plank and set on fire heheh
7Deadly$ins
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 01:04 AM

Guardian Spirit Raina

Member No.: 8,128

Burials by fire, or ash spreading, doesn't return nutrients to the Earth in the same way that decomposing in the ground or being eaten by animals does, though.

Returning on topic... I'm rather apathetic towards taxidermy. I don't have much desire in owning a piece, but maybe if I was some type of artist who very frequently worked with some difficult to obtain animal species and wanted a close-at-hand reference. Though you'd have to get a good taxidermist for that purpose.
Syaoransbear
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 01:30 AM

That's a clean burning hell, I tell you what

Member No.: 17,310

I definitely want my dog stuffed when he dies. And my husband, but I don't know the legalities of that.
TheCompleteAnimorph
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 02:11 AM

Mystic Eyes of Depth Perception

Member No.: 10,805

QUOTE (IcarusTheDragon @ Jul 18 2013, 11:24 PM)

Yes, actually, that would be awesome. When I die, someone please taxidermy-hybrid me with something and confuse biologists several thousand years from now.
DragonSpirit009
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 03:15 AM

If you're going to be weird, be confident about it!

Member No.: 49,231

I have no problem with taxidermy, seeing that I have grown up with it. Where I live people from overseas come to Africa to hunt and then let the animals get stuffed as a trophy of some sort. But it is all controlled of course.

I do however don't like it when people are doing it against the law.
Zovesta
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 06:26 AM

Queen of Foreign Cartoons/INACTIVE

Member No.: 17,535

When I die, someone please taxidermy the hell out of my body. Maybe stick me in one of those cheap Halloween fake haunted houses. That'd scare the little anklebiters! cool.gif Not like I'd be using the body anymore anyway, might as well get a few more laughs outta people with it.

As for animal taxidermy, I don't really mind. As long as the animal wasn't killed for that purpose alone it's cool. Might as well put that hunk of flesh to use somehow, right? =P

you guys have some excellent restraint to have not made a chuck testa joke yet.
Nectaris
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 06:32 AM

I'm here for the quest. Love a good quest.

Member No.: 12,750

I don't mind it, though I think some of the hybrids are a little over the top. I do hunt, and I have kept and had the head mounted of a good kill (link), though we ate the body(we also kept the fur). The only time it really would bother me is if it was a poached animal.

This post has been edited by Nectaris on Jul 19 2013, 06:35 AM
rampaging wyvern
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 08:02 AM

'Brachydios' means 'trouble'.

Member No.: 185,615

I'd love to have some taxidermy animals in my room, especially a griffon! But I don't know where on earth I can get any, especially around Adelaide :/
TikindiDragon
Posted: Jul 19 2013, 08:37 AM

Quis Custodet Ipsos Custodes?

Member No.: 11,983

QUOTE (dark_kitsune @ Jul 19 2013, 06:35 AM)

That's actually so bad it's epic.

While not sure I'd personally want any taxidermy at home, I have always enjoyed visiting historical collections. Like the Rothschild Museum in Tring.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll