Coelophysis

Gender and Gender Identity

Human gender identity is...well, complex, perhaps even more so than sexual identity.

Here is a place to discuss gender, and all the forms of such. (Not just genderqueer, but the "Typical" genders identitities, as well), as well as gender roles, etc.

Vocabulary you may see used in this thread:

AMAB/AFAB = assigned male/female at birth

Binary - the strict two-gender/sex system which restricts those that feel they don't fit purely into either male or female and even those who do fit purely into male or female but don't agree with the label they were given at birth

Biology - having to do with what kind of gonads a person has

CAMAB/CAFAB = coercively assigned male/female at birth

Cissexism - the system of inequality set up against nonbinary people

Coming out - the act of telling other/s that you are not cis

Gender - a difficult concept to grasp/fully explain; a part of one's identity; having to do with the terms in which people prefer to be identified as

Preferred pronouns - the pronouns (he, she, xie, zie, they, fae, etc.) someone prefers to be referred to with

Sex - a difficult concept to grasp/fully explain; a part of one's identity; having to do with the terms in which people prefer to be identified as

Transphobia - hatred or prejudice against trans people (and other nonbinary people)

Xie/xir/zie/xir - gender neutral pronouns (ex. Xie/zie went to the store with xir/zir mother. Choose either xie or zie.)

Some gender identities include:

Agender/neutrosis/nongender - someone of no gender

Cisgender/cis - someone who agrees with the gender they were assigned at birth

Demiboy/girl - someone partly boy/girl and partly some other (possibly undefined) gender

Genderfluid - someone whose gender is not static, but rather changes

Genderqueer - someone who does not fit into any one gender; an umbrella term for anyone who is not cis

Intersex - someone with some mixture of both end members of human gonads (testes and penis - vagina)

Nonbinary/nb - an umbrella term for people who are not cis

Transgender/trans - someone who disagrees with the gender they were assigned at birth

Confused at how to pronounce someone's pronouns? Try pronoun-pronunciation.

Gender is a very gray topic. Some people have a more fluid gender. Sometimes they are male, sometimes they feel female. Sometimes they may be one gender but enjoy being mistaken for the other. Some people are more than one gender. Some people are just confused. Etc.

Please be respectful of others genders here. If they prefer to be called he, she, zie, them, awesome, whatever, please respect their wish.

Genderfork.com is a good genderqueer site for sharing who you are and finding acceptance.

mogai-archive at tumblr lets people freely post new orientations and genders so that others who may be struggling to define themselves might find someone like them and some words they can identify with

Please be polite and respectful, or else be attacked by rotten fish.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'm physically a girl, but mentally I'm pretty neutral or male. I cross-dress and am mistaken for a boy a lot. I prefer to be called "she", though.

I've always been mentally female tending towards androgynous, but I started taking estrogen about 6 months (birth control pills) and now I identify more as male. What the heck.

Edited by JOTB

I'm a girl. I feel comfortable as a girl. However, I dislike it when males and females are separated stereotypically in skill with something that isn't viable. So "Men can do more pushups, on average, than girls," is perfectly plausible. "Girls don't play D&D," is not only false, but assuming that girls don't like roleplaying is stereotyping. I would also like them to see my D&D group.

Male.

With a side of manliness Kestra?

... Why do I always feel the need to comment after Kestra. Weeeeird.

Well, I'm female, both sex and gender. I don't put a strong emphasis on it though when I'm thinking about myself. It's kind of like I've got brown hair, brown eyes, and oh yah, female. It's never been a fundamental part of me like it is for some people.

I'm female, both in sex and gender, but there have been moments where I wasn't quite sure what I was. That's mostly been cleared up by now, and getting called 'he' does annoy me a little.

Is Xyzaq really that masculine of a name?

Me: I'm a female. I've got the body of a model but the brain of a tomboy. I love rats, spiders, mice, creepy-crawlies, working on my truck, getting my hands dirty, playing video games, working out, and despise things like shopping, shoes, jewelry, and purses. They just seem superfluous to me. I've turned down every modeling gig and pageant letter I've been offered because it's not my thing, and I think they'd be horrified by me. xd.png

My pseudo-boyfriend: He's a male. He's got the body of a model and the brain of...well, a girl. xd.png He's so much more into fashion than I am, owns more jewelry, more pairs of shoes, can't fix a toilet to save his life, and has no idea how to work with heavy machinery. He didn't even own tools until I took him to Lowe's and picked out a nice little starter kit for him! He's dabbled in modeling and has quite a few nice shots.

...I've been referred to as "the man of the house" on more than one occasion, LOL. biggrin.gif But I think we complement each other nicely.

Genderqueer here. My gender's pretty fluid, but most of the time I'm neither. I don't really care what pronouns people use for me. Though, as far as gender-neutral ones go, I prefer they/their. The rest just sound silly to me.

Well, I'm female, both sex and gender. I don't put a strong emphasis on it though when I'm thinking about myself. It's kind of like I've got brown hair, brown eyes, and oh yah, female. It's never been a fundamental part of me like it is for some people.

Pretty much this, but with green eyes.

I've got the body of a model but the brain of a tomboy.

What your preferences for things or general ways of thinking are, have nothing to do with what gender you are, just with gender stereotypes, which are exactly that - stereotypes.

Edited by lightbird

Pretty much this, but with green eyes.

What your preferences for things or general ways of thinking are, have nothing to do with what gender you are, just with gender stereotypes, which are exactly that - stereotypes.

I tend to use the word "gender" to refer to the stereotype, and "sex" to refer to what you physically are, i.e. your "junk in the trunk" so to speak.

Also, "male/female" to me denote your "sex" and "boy/girl" and "man/woman" are more "gender-oriented" words, if that makes sense. Like, you could be a "girly" male or a "manly" female.

I hope that makes sense. Perhaps it was poor word choice. sad.gif

I am a woman and have always been, despite perhaps being not the stereotypical one.

- I recall most of my posts in this topic before it was cleared being of how one's interests, preferences and behavior are no indicators of one's gender.

Edited by Shienvien

Physically female, but mentally androgynous and wish to be treated as such. I still stick to going by "she", though (it's easier). My friends sometimes slip on their tongues and call me "he" instead, due to my personality and status as "just one of the guys", in my group of best friends.

My sex is female.

My gender is more gender neutral. I wear feminine clothes because that is what fits best, but I do not associate with either gender much. Gender doesn't really have an importance to me.

Really, I like being 'it'... Don't know why, it's just what I like. However, I don't care what people call me. From she, he, zir, etc.

With a side of manliness Kestra?

... Why do I always feel the need to comment after Kestra. Weeeeird.

Because I'm awesome.

I come with extra manliness. And a beard.

I have a gender role question. As I've stated, I'm both female in sex and body, but when people bring up children, I get this odd urge to be the dad instead of the mom. In the end, if I had children, I would want my wife to carry and I would want to be the dad figure. Do you think a woman in both mind and body is capable of being a 'father figure'?

The idea of "mother figure" and "father figure" are products of the gender binary anyway. They're not really a thing besides what society makes them.

Basically, I would say that you should parent whatever way you see fit, and if that makes you into a "father figure" by popular cultural definition, then so be it.

I have a gender role question. As I've stated, I'm both female in sex and body, but when people bring up children, I get this odd urge to be the dad instead of the mom. In the end, if I had children, I would want my wife to carry and I would want to be the dad figure. Do you think a woman in both mind and body is capable of being a 'father figure'?

Define the difference between 'mother figure' and 'father figure.'

Posted this in the last one, but. I'm female-bodied, however I would much prefer not to be. Being a guy is more of my thing. It's not a matter of my tendency to be more of a "tomboy", though that's what I was called when I was growing up, but more of me being unhappy with the junk I have and their limiting factors.

Oddly enough, my sisters saw my "boyish" behaviors while I was growing up and though I was a lesbian. I'm not, but I guess it was obvious enough to them I wasn't a "normal" girl xP

Is the question "is she capable" or "is she allowed?" Of course she's capable, but honestly I've been thinking the exact same thing and I'm not sure if it's going to make my kid a weirdo if the male does all the nurturing stuff and they grow up around that or if it's OK. The idea of male/female roles makes me think I'm more male a lot but I've just decided not to think about it since I have no way of thinking about it without being influenced by social conditioning at this point dry.gif

I don't really know, but I'd identify as female or gender queer. c:

I was telling my friend about gender the other week/month, and I mentioned zie/zir. The thing is, I dunno how to pronounce them. o-o Any help? c: