sarrepta1

The saddest books

Put the saddest book you've ever read here by commenting:

(Some of the saddest i've ever read are Where the Red Fern Grows and Stone Fox.)

Edited by sarrepta1

Hush, Hush

not so sad, but its the saddest i can think of that ive read. i dont read sad stuff very much.

I cried when I read Marley and Me . . . cried three times.

But the saddest I've read is probably The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It's a story about a suicidal dog. And guess what? He dies. <.<

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. The events of the story are laid out fairly early, the conclusion comes and the last 20-30 pages after that still manage to give a punch in your face. Read it already.

Where the Red Fern Grows was the first book that ever made me cry. ;-; So. Much. Tragic.

If You Come Softly was another sad one.

Beauty be Bill Wallace >> I love horses and there was one part that i couldn't bear to read, like seriously.

Anything by Kate DiCamillo u_u

Bluestar's prophecy, when soandso (in case someone is reading or will read it, i'm not gonna spoil it) dies and oh...its so bittersweet

yeah, these are all kids books. cuz i'm a kid.

OHOHOH Room by Emma Donoghue. So sweet, so sad, so dark, so wonderful.

Where The Red Fern Grows was the first book I ever cried at, before I cried at everything. Such a beautiful, sad book. <3

I believe I also cried while reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.

I recently bought Firefly Lane and The Secret Life of Bees. Haven't read them yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to cry.

I try to stay away from sad books because I cry very easily. (I almost started crying during How To Train Your Dragon...) So I can't really remember what sad books I've read, but I know for sure I cried at The Outsiders last year when I had to read it for school. I also cried during The Call of the Wild, but that's only because I didn't like that book and I was aggravated. Haha

Marley and Me is the only book that's ever made me tear up. It's a good story, but I don't feel I'll ever be reading it again. xd.png

I don't read many sad books. About the only book that has actually made me cry was the beginning of War of the Flowers.

My Sister's Keeper.

It has a very sad ending, but it's also very poetic. I loved it~

I am not much for sad books. The saddest book I have read recently would have to be Alex Rider: Scorpia Riding. RIP Jackie.

Where the Red Fern Grows

Beauty (Bill Wallace)

Black Beauty (Anna Sewell)

Paper Towns (John Greene)

yup.

A Separate Peace without a doubt

this. I loved that book, it came the closest to making me cry... though I still didn't

Old Yeller is a sad book. I teared up when I read it as a kid and I'm not even a dog-lover.

My Sister's Keeper is sad, definitely, but I loved the ending. I was crushed when they reversed the ending for the movie. RUDE!

Mockingjay is indeed a very grim book. I did cry when I read Where the Red Fern Grows. I did not find Hush Hush to be particularly sad at all though. I know there were plenty of horse and kitty and probably more dog stories when I was little - but I don't remember specifics. Tuck Everlasting really depressed me in grade 6.

Another is called Incantation by Alice Hoffman and that was very moving to me. It's about a jewish girl living in a catholic town during the Spanish Inquisition. It's a quick read and really quite lovely, you should pick it up.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan is quite grim. I didn't like it a whole lot to be honest but it was certainly one of the saddest books I've read.

La Princetta (The Princess and the Captain) by Anne-Laure Bondoux has quite a depressing final third and it came out of nowhere. I probably felt most sad at the end of this one.

Gone (series) by Michael Grant is quite upsetting to read, even though I'm 23 he makes it very easy to sympathize with a city full of kids aged 14 and younger after everyone older disappears. It's a pretty weak premise but the way he writes about a 5 year old who just wants his mommy is heart wrenching.

But I'm surprised no one else has mentioned how sad Harry Potter can get at times. The first time he had a proper birthday (simply by receiving 3 birthday cards) he was so happy I almost cried at how pathetic it was. And so many chapters from the 7th book like Godric's Hollow or The Prince's Tale, and The Forest Again... I'll be honest, when I opened the 7th book for the first time the dedication made me cry, but still those chapters are stuffed with raw emotion.

Anyway, exempting a couple books by Lurlene MacDanial that my friends forced on me ages ago (I remember nothing) that's about as sad as I tend to read myself.

Gone (series) by Michael Grant is quite upsetting to read, even though I'm 23 he makes it very easy to sympathize with a city full of kids aged 14 and younger after everyone older disappears. It's a pretty weak premise but the way he writes about a 5 year old who just wants his mommy is heart wrenching.

This. Also the fact that they can't get food because of "smart" worms, Fearing a cough that make hack up your lungs and flying snakes that spit acid on you, from which giant bugs eat you from the inside out D:

Also The Host by Stephanie Meyer was Really sad about halfway through. sad.gif

Edited by Froggu_master

Mockingjay's been mentioned a couple times. It definitely is one of the saddest books I've read, along with the later Harry Potter books, I think, and the middle of Looking for Alaska by John Green made me bawl. I usually try to avoid sad things...

The Sight.

I was crying all through after the first wolf died...R.I.P Khaz Brassa Kipcha Bran Fell Larka

I've cried during books, but I think the one that made me cry the most was;

White Cat by Holly Black.

I mean.. the kid got scrooed. I couldn't help but bawl my eyes out 3: