MoonlightEevee

Raise the Hours on Ward

So, right now, I think the Ward BSA for white dragon's is absolute bogus right now. It's easily forgettable at the moment because of the fact it wears off when the egg hatches and if you're not there when it hatches and it's still sick, it dies. The Zyumorph release was a complete mess since they were stubborn to hatch and got sick really easily. Ward did not help in this case of it wore off after a measly Sox hours. That's not enough time for someone to fall asleep or go to school.

So, I think that either the hours need to be improved tremendously for the Ward BSA to actually work (AND protect the hatchies up to one hour upon hatching) or do this suggestion:

We all asked for a White dragon BSA, but Ward was NOT what we asked for. We asked for a BSA called HEAL; cure any egg/hatchling of sickness. I don't know whose bright idea Ward was, but it's BS.

~Cinnamon Draconna

Edited by Dalek Raptor

I've noticed it's very easy to make eggs sick, too. I just wait for a day or two before dumping them into hatcheries now. They tend to be good after a full 24 hours.

Personally I just wait until the timer is at around 5 days then post the egg. I never have issues with sickness that way.

Well, right now, I have 2 eggs. A blue Zyu and a Shimmerscale. Both were fine until they had to be put in the ER and now they're constantly sick. So I'm now in that dilemma of waiting for the sickness to be gone or ward them and pray they don't die as hatchies.

I never once had a problem with the Shimmerscales

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Wait, what is their timer at?

I only ask because that's super weird. I never have a problem under 5 days.

Edited by LoveOfTheMoonChild

Wait, what is their timer at?

I only ask because that's super weird. I never have a problem under 5 days.

Like 3 Days and 23 Hours I believe. It hatched now

That's good! Yeah I'm not sure why they'd get sick with the timer that low :\

But now it's sick as a hatchi and I'm hoping it will be cured soon enough. The last time one of my hatchies was sick, it was sick for six hours

Well, right now, I have 2 eggs. A blue Zyu and a Shimmerscale. Both were fine until they had to be put in the ER and now they're constantly sick. So I'm now in that dilemma of waiting for the sickness to be gone or ward them and pray they don't die as hatchies.

I never once had a problem with the Shimmerscales

Both those are breeds that get sick VERY easily. Almost all my zyu eggs got sick; I didn't use ward at all, and they all grew up just fine. Fog works, and so does hiding your scroll - in case someone is actually "helping" you. I ALWAYS fog for 24 hours when sickness kicks in, even if they get to feel better. Always have, always will.

Tins and shimmers got sick a lot ever since they were invented, and grew up fine without ward. It's an extra to what we used to have and I can't see why it needs to be extended, really.

Edited by fuzzbucket

First of all, I agree with the suggestion. Personally, I think that Ward should last long enough for someone to go to bed and actually have a good night's sleep. Or go to work without having to worry about their dragons. Adding communte and other things into the equation, Ward should at least last for 12 hours. I'd prefer 24, though. Heck, with 24 hours, I'd probably put ward on all of my fresh eggs, just in case...

Regarding sickness in Shimmers, Tinsels and other very stubborn breeds *glares at Zyus* - it helps to not incubate them. In my experience, you can use incubate on Prizes about 12 hours before they're due to hatch and - most of the time - hatch them just fine by putting them in an ER. If you do it any earlier, they're bound to get sick.

Zyus are a different matter, though. I haven't been able to get an incubated and ERed Zyu sick as of yet, but I had one younger egg get sick. (I got it from a trade, and it probably got viewbombed, with over 3k views at more than 5 days left.) What's odd about Zyus, though, is that they don't seem to hatch before they'd usually hit 4 days left, as if incubate didn't really work on them. But that might be just me.

I'm pretty confident in handling sickness, even on incubated eggs. The Zyus seem to be extra susceptible, but I haven't lost one yet. I monitor them and don't really push them to hatch until at least 3 22. I've also been aggressive with the ones I want to gender so I could freeze them and they've been fine.

The thing with sickness is it isn't an instant death sentence. It's saying that you're getting too many views and there's a risk, but it isn't hard to balance it so they don't die.

I do agree that Ward seems pretty useless, but I'm not sure I'd use a more powerful version either. About all I might use is one that protects eggs for X time AND carries over to the hatchling, that way I could more aggressively hatch sickness prone species.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I support this suggestion. 6 hours doesn't happen to be enough time to protect hatchlings from illness properly, or at least hardly enough time for them to be able to grow up safely. For all my hatchlings and eggs (they rarely get sick, unless view bombed), I put them into a lower-traffic site during the first 24 hours, such as valley sherwood. Afterwards, I choose a second hatchery or two (usually allure of NDs or EATW) and let them hatch naturally. I never use more than three. I do hope that your hatchlings will make it through! I do reccommend fogging for a long time.

If people benefit from an increase in the time limit, I'm all for it. I don't see the harm smile.gif

I've been playing since before Yulebucks and I can tell you that prizes and zyus love getting sick. What you're seeing isn't some malicious new sickness rate. 99% of the hundreds of prizes I've raised have gotten sick. About the only way to not have them do so is to not incubate them. Also worth being said, however, is that I have yet to lose an egg from sickness in this way; many people incubate prizes and just fog them after hatching as standard procedure because it's so low risk, even though they get sick.

All that being said, I still want Ward raised to 12 hours, AND usable for hatchies (or at least carried over on them from the eggs). I see ward's biggest use as view bombing protection and as you already pointed out, a measly 6 hours does nothing for anyone who has to sleep. Which is, you know, all of us.

Raising hours of Ward and making it protect eggs and hatchies. Yes please.

+Support

Support for anything to improve Ward. Its rather useless right now since it doesn't last long enough for the average person to sleep, work, or go to school. Even 8 hours would be a little better but I think 12 or 24 would be ideal. I didn't realize it doesn't carry over to hatchlings and I'm not sure why that is? Hatchlings can still get sick and die so I don't see why it shouldn't at least carry over.

I support raising the time Ward lasts on eggs, six hours really isn't enough.

I would also support it working for hatchlings too. It does seem counter-productive that a sick egg can be protected with Ward and the hatch and become unprotected.

Support for a longer ward timer and allowing it to carry over when the egg hatches. I'm pretty disappointed with it as I don't see a situation where I would actually use it - it feels like a barely useful BSA right now.

We all asked for a White dragon BSA, but Ward was NOT what we asked for. We asked for a BSA called HEAL; cure any egg/hatchling of sickness. I don't know whose bright idea Ward was, but it's BS.

I'm wondering if anybody has had an egg die when ward was used on it? Or has it only been cases of new hatchlings dying after ward wore off? Because ward was helpful to easing my mind during the zyu released and it served me just fine, tbh, so I'm interested in gathering some actual information on how ward isn't that useful and why the time needs raised. (I would support ward transferring over to hatchies, but that goes in a separate thread.)

I'll also point out that I don't think the sickness rate shot up. I think fansites were extra busy with zyus being a stubborn-to-hatch breed, so in trying to get them more views, we also flooded other eggs with upped stats, causing more sickness all around. Since the zyu panic has calmed, I'm not having mass troubles with sickness. ^^;;

Sickness did increase.  My prizes get sick at 2800 views and before Ward got introduced they didn't get sick until 6000 views ~ I didn't change anything of how I play and do things... And yes hatchlings died right after hatching and Ward wearing off for some people :(

I sometimes even get common hatchies sick now -_-

I would really love to see an extended timer and the ability for Ward to carry over after hatching. I never add my eggs to hatcheries before they hit about 4 days, which has always worked for me...until now. Like Fox said, Prizes have been especially annoying to deal with. My Prize eggs get sick easier than ever now and Ward just doesn't do much to help. I've had numerous eggs die in trades after the Ward BSA wore off, despite only being in low traffic hatcheries. However, I've also been dealing with a nasty viewbomber recently, so my experiences could be influenced by that.

I don't think Ward is useless as it is, but a few improvements here and there would make it an amazing BSA to have around.

I honestly think that the sickness has increased, possibly because we have Ward. Before the Zyus dropped I would typically put my eggs in my hatcheries at around 6d 15h or so, not waiting much time at all; I never had a single sickness in any of my common eggs. With rarer eggs I'd wait longer but the point is that ever since the Zyus dropped even my super common eggs that never got sick even if I put them in three hatcheries, are getting sick if I do the exact same things I've always done.

I have since changed by behavior and waited until the eggs are below 5 days now and I no longer have sickness issues, but it's weird. Unless the traffic in the hatcheries has increased significantly and I just didn't notice, then the sickness has been tweaked to hit harder. Personally I don't bother using Ward since I found out it doesn't protect hatchlings. It seems like a rather pointless BSA, though I guess it at least stops your eggs from dying. That's good.

I'm curious if the view rates are different.  You can be doing the exact same thing you always do, but if the hatcheries are busier and giving out more views you eggs will get sick when they normally wouldn't have.  Just saying that the difference isn't necessarily caused by TJ messing with the sickness mechanic.