TJ09

Grammar Patrol

People repeatedly say we need a thread where people can report spelling or grammar mistakes that are found on the site.

Now we have one.

No need to post corrected versions; just pointing out the error is sufficient.

Posts will be hidden/removed when the error is pending a fix.

this might not exactly fit here but i was checking out the carina dragon notes and this part struck me as a little off?:
image.png.a6b00e40c2c3ffd3c1c616e6c2833832.png
because an ear lobe is that part that contains no cartilage. an external ear is called the auricle or pinna, ear lobes dont really do much
image.png.80fcf92b2f7734efdd6a386eb4828879.png
I assume the writer meant they would be able to pick more sounds up due to the funnel effect having an external ear has.

Edited by absofacto

From/than: circumstances exist where only one is correct (off the top of my head: "much larger than"), but as an American, "than" sounds wrong in that case.

Now, why I posted:

Several Xenowyrm pages (I haven't unlocked enough to tell if they all do) say:

• Found in: All habitats

Given that each type has a separate page, and I'm fairly sure Xenowyrm type relies on which biome it's found in, this is misleading.

The Flamingo Dragon's Encyclopedia has the same sentence copied twice in Diet:

"They will also eat other dragons, even their own kind.
They will also eat other dragons, even their own kind. It is possible to raise a strictly vegetarian Flamingo, but only if the diet is kept up from the moment they hatch."

I don't think it is needed to have the "They will also eat other dragons, even their own kind," reused in the sentence right below it. Just keep the bottom one or split the bottom one so that it looks like such:

"They will also eat other dragons, even their own kind."

"It is possible to raise a strictly vegetarian Flamingo, but only if the diet is kept up from the moment they hatch."

Not sure this belongs here, but..... the generic hatchling description on every hatchling has this:

Once a hatchling’s wings grow in, it marks the beginning of maturation.

It says this even for the breeds that have no wings. The generic adult description mentions that not all dragons have wings (I believe it was actually changed to say that at some point?) but the hatchling description doesn't seem to have been changed to reflect that there are actually breeds without wings. Looks kinda funny to see that text on a wingless breed.

There is an error in the new Aether Wyvern's description. "these wyverns will create large winds that often blows away much more than they originally intended to." Should be winds that often blow.

Two excerpts from the Water Walker encylopedia - Buoyant is spelled incorrectly, as is pollution. Also a full stop instead of a space after membranes

• Very bouyant owing to various morphological adaptations, although they may take action to submerge if necessary.
  • Does not tolerate polution, especially as to not damage the membranes.of its feet, eyes, and sails.

Carina's page in encyclopedya is full of errors

• Orphaned hatchlings dig deep holes around dawn, which they hide in them until nightfall. Once they can fly, this behavior ceases.

Dig around dawn....time maybe?

And In which they hide  or  and they hide in them

• The rare daytime sightings of a Carina are have still been in dark places.

I'm confused with this one... have still been reported?

Edited by camelia2
Edit

31 minutes ago, camelia2 said:

Carina's page in encyclopedya is full of errors

• Orphaned hatchlings dig deep holes around dawn, which they hide in them until nightfall. Once they can fly, this behavior ceases.

Dig around dawn....time maybe?

And In which they hide  or  and they hide in them

• The rare daytime sightings of a Carina are have still been in dark places.

I'm confused with this one... have still been reported?

Dig around dawn seems perfectly fine to me. Dawn is just a word to describe a certain period of the day.  I think “which they hide in” would sound better too.

And yeah, the second should probably be corrected to “Daytime sightings of Carinas are rare - they are found only in dark places” or something

I like reading the encyclopedia and I've noticed a lot of mistakes, so I'll go ahead and list them. Putting them into a spoiler due to how long this is.

Spoiler

Candelabra page. Under the Hatchling Behavior section.

• They’re not very good around other hatchlings, either shying away or “on guard” around the.

There's an m missing at the end of the sentence, I assume it was meant to say 'around them'.

Carinas

• Their skin is highly resistant to heat in to help withstand the flames they conjure.

I think it should just say "Their skin is highly resistant to heat to help withstand the flames they conjure."

Waverunners

• Light blue with dark blue patterning which helps with camouflage..

Extra period. Not really a big deal but I noticed it anyway, figured I should include it.

• Learn to fly very quickly once their wings grown in.

This should be 'once their wings grow in' or 'once their wings have grown in'.

Flamingos, I know someone already mentioned 'they will also eat other dragons' being in there twice, so I'll just point out

• the bright colors (or stark whiteness) make them extremely visible to predators.

This sentence wasn't capitalized.

Florets

• The flower-like structures on their heads, necks, and tails contain ducts which omit sweet-smelling pheromones.

It should be 'emit' instead of 'omit'. To omit is to leave information out of something.

Graves

• Long, sharp, claws that are ideal for picking though charcoal.

Second comma isn't necessary. It should be written as 'Long, sharp claws'.

• Fall over easily and take longer to learn how to walk then other hatchlings due to the length and frailty of their legs.

Should be than, not then

Fond of sleeping at with other creatures

Remove the 'at'.

• Do not handle rejection well, starting off violent, but usually ending off more resrved then before.

Typo, it's spelled 'reserved'

Wrapping-Wings

• They are fond of baked goods like cookies an pies and can gain weight quickly because of it.

Replace 'an' with 'and'.

• They adore the first snowfall, almost going a hyper crazy when it happens.

Remove the 'a'

They can memories entire novels worth of information perfectly.

Memorize, not memories

They are more then happy to care for hatchlings of any breed.

Than, not then.

With both humans and other dragons, they will sleep next to them bring them blankets to help them sleep.

Should probably be written as 'they will sleep next to them, and/or (whichever is more appropriate) bring them blankets'

• Of all meats they seem less interested in seafood, particularly crustaceans, but it varys from dragon to dragon.

Varies, not varys

• They can and will drink fermenting fruit if they find it. This is a bad things as they can’t steer when flying like this.

Thing, not things.

Lunar Heralds

• Iridsecent powder covering the wings flakes off easily when touched

Iridescent, not iridsecent

Pillows

• Pillows are excellent fishers. One fishing trip can yeild nearly 100 lbs of fish per individual.

Yield, not yeild.

Ridgewings

• Metabolism natrually slows if they do not eat enough, allowing them to enter a hibernation phase until food supply rises again.

Naturally was spelled wrong.

Spitfires

• Temperamental; fights that start off for fun may quickly turn real fights.

Turn into real fights.

• Hatchlings quite capable of hunting on their own.

Left out a word, hatchlings are quite capable

Storms

• During mating rituals, some Storms show their prowress by capturing arial prey as an offering for their mates.

A couple typos. Should be 'prowess' and 'aerial'

Water Walkers

• Body coloration provides quality camoflage from predatory dragons, crocodilians, and humans.

Camouflage, not camoflage

• Very bouyant owing to various morphological adaptations, although they may take action to submerge if necessary.

Buoyant, not bouyant

• Does not tolerate polution, especially as to not damage the membranes.of its feet, eyes, and sails.

Should be pollution instead of polution, and there's an unnecessary period between 'membranes' and 'of'

• Smelly gas produced from digesting fiber-rich foods contributes to bouyancy further.

Buoyancy, not bouyancy

Sorry for how long this got, I just wanted to make sure I got everything down. Hope it helps.

On 10/14/2018 at 6:38 AM, SpyroForLife said:
  • Long, sharp, claws that are ideal for picking though charcoal.

Second comma isn't necessary. It should be written as 'Long, sharp claws'.

Also, it should be "through", not "though".

On 10/15/2018 at 7:45 AM, Fly-by-Night said:

Also, it should be "through", not "though".

I'm impressed I missed that. But yeah, that too.

Don't know if this should be put here or not but going through the Encyclopedia Bauta Dragons are listed as Two-headed Dragon (Western) but all the other two-headed western types are listed as just Two-headed Dragon with no second category.

5 hours ago, vianthegryphon said:

Don't know if this should be put here or not but going through the Encyclopedia Bauta Dragons are listed as Two-headed Dragon (Western) but all the other two-headed western types are listed as just Two-headed Dragon with no second category.

presumably because of this:

Baikala Dragon

• Type: Two-headed Dragon (Sea serpent)

before Baikala's all two-headed dragons were Westerns.  but now a distinction needs to be made.  (Which means the older entries need to be updated.)

Small error in the Omen wyrm hatchling description.

Oh look, it’s a cute baby... dragon? It’s impossible to see much of its body through all the flames.And look! It’s finally grown some sort of bizarre hide. It must be close to maturing.

The 'and' should be spaced after the period.

Edited by Spootedleaf

Appears to be a typo in the description of the new Halloween dragon - Arcana.

"Arcana Dragons are a rarely-encountered breed..."  in first line.

"Arcanae are diligent in their efforts..." in fourth line.

Almost makes you wonder which is the proper spelling of the name.   Arcana or Arcanae?

6 minutes ago, Dracaena said:

Almost makes you wonder which is the proper spelling of the name.   Arcana or Arcanae?

I believe Arcanae is plural.

Yep, it is. In latin, words from first declension (ended in "-a" in singular) construct their plural with "-ae". 

Like larva/larvae, pupa/pupae... Which are words that even made it into English with their respective plural forms.

1 hour ago, Dracaena said:

With my limited knowledge of latin it actually makes sense 🙃 Arcanae is probably the plural form of Arcana (which isn't used in the first sentence because there the plural is indicated on DragonS).. At least that's what I would guess. Might be wrong, though :o

edit: oh haha, didn't see that there was already another page with answers. Just ignore me then.

Edited by Soulsborne

19 hours ago, Dracaena said:

True but if you look at latin, arcana is a verb which one doesn't usually need plural for?

arcana in favorite latin dictionary

When you look up arcana in an english dictionary it lists base word of arcanum and arcana is the plural.

arcana in english dictionary

While this may be true, Arcana is its own word, whether it originally came from a plural or not. Therefore using the Latin suffix -ae to make Arcana plural makes sense to me :)

The new Arcane dragons' descriptions look like they could use some comma clean up. The one after 'abilities' in the first sentence, the one after 'mana' in the second, the one after 'mages' in the third, and maybe the one after 'kind' also in the third. I like commas, hell I love commas, but let's not get greedy here.

Oh yes, the Arcana's description is overrun with commas. I'm not all that great with figuring out where they should and shouldn't go, but this sentence especially is awkward:

However, they are also very intelligent dragons, and when raised around mages, or others of their own kind, almost invariably become obsessed with the study of magic. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

Regarding "Arcanae", as a Latin plural form it makes sense. The dictionary site you linked says it's an adjective, in which case arcanae would be the feminine plural nominative or neuter plural nominative/accusative forms. Probably.

We are, however, not using Latin, we are using English, so English pluralization (stick an S on and hope it sounds okay) should be used.