Ethril Dragon

Lineage Project Creation Guide

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~**~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

A Simple Guide for when you are creating your Dragon Lineage Project. 

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~**~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

I’ve only personally ever made two large lineage projects, one of which didn’t survive very long. One day I went exploring to see what the rules for creating a lineage project were and I discovered there weren’t any rules. Now what I’ve created aren't rules per se, but a guide you can use when creating a lineage project. Eventually everyone wants to create a lineage project, whether it’s a personal project or a major one. People ask questions or try to make a project similar to one that they have seen in the forums. To try and alleviate some of the headaches, I’ve created this guide in the hopes it will help some people out.

The first thing you should do when creating a lineage is to ask yourself a series of questions. “What do I want to accomplish”, “What dragons should be used”, “What kind of project will it be”, etc. You can create a lineage without asking yourself these questions, but by asking these questions and listing your questions, you can create a general layout for your lineage much more easily. The more you ask yourself about what you want your lineage project to be and accomplish, the more you will be able to figure out what your project will look like. Create a rough web or make a list of ideas that you could use in your project. After awhile narrow the list down or use the entire list if everything works together.

The point of a lineage project is to create a new depth to dragcave that isn’t just raising, catching, naming, and breeding dragons. The point is to be able to give a meaning to all the breeding you will do, or at least to be able to create a new level of fun and attachment to your dragons.

Table of Contents:

Post 1 – you are here

Post 2 – The four steps to creation

Post 3 – Successful Lineage Tips

Post 4 – Lineage Code of Conduct

Post 5 – Helpful Links

Post 6 – FAQ

Edited by Earth Gurl

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

Four Steps to Creation

Here are four steps you can take to start your lineage project.

Step 1] Ask yourself what kind of lineage project this will be. Do you want to create a lineage for yourself, have a bunch of people involved, or create a huge line of dragons?

There are three common types of lineage projects that I can categorize without going into too much detail. The personal lineage project, the group lineage project, and the family line lineage project.

The Personal Lineage Project is when a person creates a lineage out of their own dragons and doesn't intend to really include others in this project or doesn't foresee people really wanting to join in. It’s when you start breeding a specific dragon in your scroll in order to produce a specific type of egg and then continue breeding until you have your own little lineage. Most common are the 12 generation projects where you breed a line for 12 generations. Sometimes though, you may abandon an egg that becomes popular and soon everyone wants a dragon from that line. The most famous in DC is the Dorkface Lineage.

The Group Lineage Project is when one or two people come up with an idea and they say anyone can breed a certain type of dragon to be a part of the project. There is no real “first pair” of dragons that every dragon can be traced back to. There are as many first pairs as there are breeders. This Lineage Project is often used to try and expand a person’s scroll so as not to inbreed, but also to trade certain types of dragons among other lineage participants. One example is the Lagmonster Survivor Lineage Project, where breeders breed dragons that survived the St. Patrick’s day 2009 Great Lag. Many people participate and dragons can only be traced back to each other if breeders traded dragons to one another. Another example of a group project would be the Travel Through Europe lineage project. In this project you can choose a capital of Europe, gather 2 CBs, and trade your offspring with other users of other capital cities.

The Family Line Lineage Project is when a single person comes up with two dragons and breeds them to produce an egg. From this egg a lineage is born. Then the owner creates the lineage project and tells people to be able to join they must request an egg from the original dragon pair. Then when the eggs are given to others, the family line expands. The difference between this and the group lineage project is that every dragon can be traced back to the original pair. An example of this project would be the Breast Cancer Hope Lineage

Step 2] Figure out what dragons will be used.

Often times a lineage project is based on a certain type of dragon, whether it be a named dragon or a specific breed. This is where you need to use the search engine in order to know if your idea has already been used. If you’re making a group lineage project it is important you search the forums to make sure no one else has created a lineage project similar to the one you want. A family line project needs less research because you are basing the project off of your two dragons. A personal lineage project needs minimal search since you won’t be including other people unless you are willing to give eggs away or ask for eggs.

Searching is quite simple. All you have to do is type the dragons you are thinking you’ll use (lets say fire and storm) into the search. Add lineage so that the search can narrow down what to look for. Because you said fire and storm lineage, the most likely topic that will pop up will be the Firestorm Lineage Project. So you know that kind of lineage project is already taken. If you want to start a family line based on two of your dragons, go ahead and search to get some ideas on how to create your lineage as well as how many other family lineage projects are based on the type of dragon you plan on using. It gets kind of boring when 5 billion people create split family line lineage projects.

Also when using the search feature, be sure to use different variations of the words you're searching, so as to be sure the lineage/idea hasn't already been posted.

Be absolutely certain no one else has created a project that is similar to what you want to create. If you see a project that is similar and you want to go ahead and create your project, be sure to contact the creator of the other project to tell them what you are planning. Most often times the original creator will be understanding and give you ideas on how to make your project different from theirs.

Step 3] Creating the rules and requirements.

This is very important. The rules and requirements of your lineage project are what help other people determine whether or not they want to join. Rules should be fairly simple and state what is and what isn’t acceptable within the project.

Be sure to include but not limited too: What dragons can be used. What types of names (if there are name requirements) your dragons should have. What the breeding expectations are (whether it’s ok to abandon or freeze). If a person should request an egg. If the dragon is CB or from a line. Other general information about what can and can not be done. And what type of dragon pairings there should be.

Be sure to never just copy and paste rules from another lineage project. This makes the original creators of the rules very angry and you risk getting your topic deleted due to “duplication” of the thread. Besides, if you just copy and paste rules then you’re not really being creative at all.

Step 4] General information for your lineage project.

General information is things like breeder lists, egg request waiting lists, black list, white lists, dragon lists, mostly lists as well as a summary of what the project is about. General information is useful in order to keep your lineage information in order. It’s best to at least have a breeder list or a participant list so people can see who is breeding or participating. That way people won’t claim to be in a project when they really aren’t. That and it makes it a whole lot easier to determine who is actively a part of your lineage project. You can also consider a news section to be counted in the general information category. It’s great to have a news area so people can see if any changes have been made to the project.

Edited by Earth Gurl
Edited Links

Successful Lineage Tips

Now we know the four steps to creating a brand new lineage project. Here are some tips on how to keep your lineage successful.

1] Keep the main page where all the general info is, updated. If you have a news section, use it. If you have a breeders section, keep track of who’s actively breeding and who isn’t. The more updated the main page is, the more people will want to be a part of your project.

2] Don’t spam about your lineage. I mean it. Don’t go into another forum and interrupt a thread about say, horses with information on your lineage. That’s just rude and people don’t want to see it. If you want to spam about your lineage, find the appropriate places. There are threads specifically made to advertise Projects. Find them and use them. First check stickied topics. Really good advertisement threads are typically stickied.

3] Don’t give special treatment either to yourself or to individual lineage members. This causes other members of your lineage to grow angry and leave.

4] If you know you’re going to be gone for awhile, choose one of your members to take leadership for awhile. This way the main page can stay updated and people can have someone to turn too if they need help.

5] Don’t get frustrated if your project is going slow or doesn’t have a lot of members. Sometimes it takes awhile for a project to get going. Just keep it up yourself and if someone wants to join, let them.

6] Create banners or signature items so that people can put the project in their signature for other people to see. A lot of the time people find out about a project because of a banner they spotted in another forum. If you can’t create a banner, there are plenty of people who would be glad to help. Just make a post in the help forum and I’m sure someone will pop out of the woodworks to help you out.

7] Most importantly is to have fun. This is nothing more than a game and you shouldn’t get too overly emotional if something goes wrong. It is understandable that you get attached to a project because you put a lot of time and energy into it, but don’t let your enthusiasm get out of hand. If someone tells you it’s a stupid idea, shrug it off and focus on the people that like your idea. Have fun.

8] Tracking your Lineage. You may or may not want to track your lineage, it's all up to you. By tracking your lineage you can be sure there is no inbreeding, you can keep track of what dragons had what babies, and who has what dragon. Tracking your lineage can be done in a variety of ways. You can also use a wiki such as the site Dragon Trees Breed Guide. Some people also choose to use excel sheets or to hand write their lineages or to organize their scrolls based on lineages.

Edited by Earth Gurl

Lineage Code of Conduct

Here is a list of basic code of conduct when creating and managing your lineage project.

1] Do not under any circumstance copy and paste rules and/or ideas from someone else’s lineage project without express permission. If you do copy with permission be sure to give credit to the original creator. That way you are respectful of the person who put the time and effort into the original ideas and you don’t step on anyone’s toes by accident.

2] Do not go into another lineage project and advertise your own unless it is relevant to the conversation. If the projects are similar then it would be fine to go in and say “oh hey, my project is like yours. I like how you did _____”. Don’t go in and say “You should join my project! It’s so much better”. That is considered spamming and is extremely rude.

3] When you create a project, don’t abandon it if there are people who want to participate. If you feel you don’t want to control the project anymore, hand it over to someone else.

4] Try very hard NOT to create a lineage project that is similar to one that is already done. If it is similar try to change a couple things so there is a definite difference. Change the naming requirements or how people can request eggs. Even small changes can make a big difference. Using the search feature is very useful when figuring out if a lineage has already been created. Be sure to use different variations of a word when searching so you can double check a lineage hasn't been created.

5] Try very hard to stay in topic when you are posting in your lineage projects topic. If your topic is about red dragons, don't go off on tangents about how your boyfriend/girlfriend just broke up with you. Some small conversation is acceptable, greetings and asking how one is doing, but don't rant about something that has nothing to do about your project.

This guide is only here to help you get a better idea on how to create a lineage project. You don’t have to follow it and you don’t have to follow the rules set in it. Just be sure to follow the site rules though.

Edited by Earth Gurl

Helpful Links

A topic about guidelines for the Breeding forum.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=135278

A post from Z explaining the rules about creating a post/topic

When making a Topic., Titles

This is a great wiki to use when you want to create your own dragon pages and profiles. You can also use it to track your dragons. Down side is that you have to code the pages yourself.

Dragon Trees Breed Guide

A place to post your personal lineage projects.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=141145

A place where you can see what names are taken by other dragcave members.

Dragon Lineage Prefix/Suffix Registration

The terminology of Dragon Cave.

Terminology

Edited by Earth Gurl
Fixed Links

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

FAQ!

For any and all questions that are frequently asked!

Q:

Graphics. Is it helpful to have graphics? If so, where can you find help making them if you need it?

A: I have found graphics to be very useful in getting people's attention. You don't always need graphics, but what are you most likely to look at: A pretty picture or a sentence about something? As for where you can find help making them you can say in your post "and if anyone could make a banner that would be great". Typically members who know how to create banners will make one for you because it's the nice thing to do. The last method is to go to the multimedia forums and request a banner to be made.

Q:

Wipe When it comes to Wipes, what would be a good time to ask the mods for one? 20+ pages, or wait a bit longer?

A: If you would like regular wipes, please contact a mod before your thread reaches 20+ pages, because with a new forum design, removing high amounts of posts can be tedious and take hours. 

Q:

So, main dragon must be CB?

A: No. The main dragons can be whatever you want them to be as long as it's your lineage project. If it isn't your lineage project then follow the guidelines for the lineage project you are a part of.

Edited by Earth Gurl

Woo hoo! Glad this got pinned. happy.gif

EDIT: Okay, an actual on topic question: When it comes to Wipes, what would be a good time to ask the mods for one? 20+ pages, or wait a bit longer?

Edited by Gyps13

Woo hoo! Glad this got pinned. happy.gif

EDIT: Okay, an actual on topic question: When it comes to Wipes, what would be a good time to ask the mods for one? 20+ pages, or wait a bit longer?

I've answered your question in the FAQ section.

I just finished reading this and I think I'm gonna start my own personal

project. Thanks for creating this guide. It actually answered all of the

questions I had about the whole shebang. laugh.gif

What should I put as a title? I feel a bit awqurd saying "new un-named dragon lineage!"

You can always go back and edit the thread title, so it really doesn't matter. happy.gif

You can use anything from a proposed name ("Would you want a insert-name-here"), or a breed thought ("Possible breed1 x breed2 lineage idea"). Then, when you figure out what you want to settle on, just go back to the first post and edit the title appropriate. smile.gif

You can always go back and edit the thread title, so it really doesn't matter. happy.gif

You can use anything from a proposed name ("Would you want a insert-name-here"), or a breed thought ("Possible breed1 x breed2 lineage idea"). Then, when you figure out what you want to settle on, just go back to the first post and edit the title appropriate. smile.gif

You can do that? o.0 I had no clue. Thanks!

I have two hatchies I'd like to start up a lineage with. Can I make the thread now (Since i'm worried the breeds might be taken by the time I can breed) and give out eggs when they are adults, or must I wait?

It's your choice. Some people choose to make a thread as soon as they have the idea, create a wait list, and then start the lineage. Others like to make sure their dragons will cooperate before even creating the post in order to be sure everything will start off smoothly.

Thanks for the info, I have everything I need now to start my own. Need to find a mate for the first dragon though.

Just wanted to say thanks so much for your help! I've just created a thread about my own Clan and I really appreciated all your thoughts here. smile.gif

This has helped me a heck of a lot! Thank you.

Now I can track my lineage and see if there are inbreds, because I don't want that in my lineage.

How do you trade?
I would like to know too.

@ ditto101ditto101 & Dark-Flaming-Shadow If You Haven't Already Found Out

From What I've Learned, I Believe You And The One You Wish To Trade With Exchange The Codes Of The Dragon/Egg You Wish To Trade Via PM Or MSN/AIM Or Any Other Method Of Contact And Then You Take Turns Dropping At A Specific Time The Two Of You Have Discussed. The Drop I Would Think Happens At The Abandoned Egg/Hatchling Page But To Help Ensure That The Trade Is Successful You Can Use The Link " http://dragcave.net/abandoned/*7L* " With The Appropriate Code At The End And Continuously Refresh That Page While The Other Is Dropping The Egg And Vice Versa For When You Are Giving The Egg To Your Trading Partner. As I've Heard That Method Almost Guarantees That You'll Get Your Desired Trade Egg/Hatchie But There Are Occasions When The Trade Is Lost In Transaction.

Hope That Helps In Some Way ^^ I'm Still Fairly New Myself So You Can Try Double Checking With Someone Or Checking The Trading Threads If You're Still Unsure