igloo9201

Silvermoon Grays

Overview

Hi. So I noticed that everyone loves the Breast Cancer Pink Lineage! Well, I have another awareness line: Wolf Awareness.

Why Wolves?

Wolves are incredible and well-known animals. While gray wolves aren't too persecuted any more, certain kinds of wolves (such as Mexican Gray Wolves) still need help. But what is most concerning is their loss of habitat.

Wolves are a great animal to raise awareness of bigger issues. Since they effect a wide variety of things in their ecosystem, and also because they are a very well-known and revered animal, they are a good example to explain habitat destruction and other issues. For example, several wolf packs exist in the Pacific Northwest area of Oregon, Washington State, Idaho, and British Columbia (western Canada). That particular area, known for its iconic wildlife and postcard temperate rainforests, is seriously under threat due to a lack of wild salmon. So, by using well-known animals like wolves, bears, bald eagles, and killer whales, we can really help raise awareness for that entire struggling ecosystem.

The Name and the Breed

So, a little bit of background; I really enjoy to RP. I used to, and still do to some extent, do wolf roleplays quite a bit. The name of my wolf pack was Silver Moon, and I took that name and used it for my own little conservation group.

Gray dragons have silvery gray and black in their color palette, which are a bit reminiscent of the fur of some wolves. Plus, the silver color is a great way to tie back to the name "Silver Moon."

About the Lineage

Our goal here at the SilverMoon Lineage is have fun and bring a bit of glory to a common breed while we spread awareness for wolves and their threatened ecosystems. I hope you enjoy this lineage as much as I have so far, and I hope it continues to grow!

Rules: Same for all big lineages. If you get an egg, make sure Silver is in the name. Silvermoon is ideal, but if necessary, Silver will suffice.

Once you receive a Silvermoon egg, you may not kill, freeze, or abandon it. No biting or inbreeding, either.

Breed Silvermoon Grays only with Cave-Born Grays. The Silvermoon must be the CB's first and only mate, and the CB must be the Silvermoon's only mate as well. This means that the Silvermoon must be bred with the CB FOR LIFE! You can name the CB whatever you want, but don't name it "Silvermoon" because it isn't a Silvermoon.

PM me or post here if you want an egg.

Current Members:

Purplehaze

Lantean_Pegasus

Flaviel

Cartella

Xocowolf

Heavenuniasus

TomBoiiWolfie

Sunnynight12345

WolfLover8

Tiga

Thedupedidit

WolfParadise

Solarflare3000

MessangerDragon

Qor

Topaz08

EnderEcho

AppleMango

Sinthralas

Wahya

Please join us. For the wolves.

Thanks!

Edited by igloo9201

Breeders:

Igloo9201 PM

Purplehaze PM

Lantean_Pegasus PM

WolfParadise PM

Qor PM

AppleMango PM

Banners:

user posted image

[URL=https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?&act=ST&f=29&t=153508][IMG=http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/VoicesBehindDarkShadows/SilvermoonKlein.png][/URL]

Edited by igloo9201

You can hardly complain about the lack of posts after only an hour. You need to give things a little more time than that.

Also, your lineage requirements are quite strict. I'm reading it as, they must get an egg from you to start in the lineage? You're free to set up a lineage any way you please, but the tighter your restrictions the smaller the group you are likely to get to join.

1. You have only one breed involved, and not a highly popular one.

2. They must get a starter egg from you.

3. You require life-mating the dragons involved.

4. They are restricted in lineage patterns, as it appears only a stairstep lineage is possible if they must get a (bred) silvermoon egg from you and must then breed it with a CB gray.

You aren't likely to get many participants with such strict parameters. In fact, it makes this nearly a personal lineage, which under forum rules may not have it's own thread.

Now, I could be misunderstanding your intent or your rules, but if you want this to take off and be a successful group lineage there are some things you might want to consider.

1. Let people start with their own CB grays, named for the lineage.

2. Let people propose other breeds. They may have good reasons why they think another breed fits the lineage. Be open minded and discuss it here.

3. At least be open to the idea that the dragons don't have to be life mates. I know it makes a certain amount of sense, since wolves choose life-mates. But many of us don't choose to be that restrictive with our dragons. Perhaps people could register dragons as pairs in the lineage and any offspring from either that is not from both would not be part of the lineage, but it still gives people freedom to breed their dragons as they choose.

You make a good point. I do want all the dragons to be traced back to the original pair. But I wanted to do Silver dragons, but I highly doubt I'll be able to get my hands on none of those. I am thinking now whether or not to make Silvermoons breed with only CBs, but I still want to keep it purebred. And *groans* I suppose that maybe it's a bit of a pain with the mate-for-life thing, so it's somewhat possible that I might change that. I may do Moonstone dragons in the future, but I'll see how the grays go first. I chose grays because of their color palette and because I knew I'd be able to get them. But I'm still keeping it traced back to the original pair.

And BTW it's because I have no patience. And I was bored.

Thank you for your critisism it was helpful.

May the wind rise under your wings, and the sun always be at your back. Have a howling good night! (Wow my dragon and wolf greeting mixed together? What his the world coming to?!?!)

~Igloo/Jackie < '=o.

The rules are indeed fairly strict, but as Igloo has stated, the Breast Cancer Awareness lineage operates under pretty much the same rules and does well.

Gray dragons are very common and it does not seem like reserving a pair of them as dedicated mates is too restrictive.

It does not seem like a personal lineage if you allow other people to breed their Silvermoons and pass along the offspring to others who are interested in continuing the lineage. I assume that is the intent here?

I would love to sign up for this lineage. Wolves are such beautiful creatures! I have quite a few potential mates for a lineage dragon. I have collected a lot of CB grays that have never had a mate.

Thanks! You can definantly join. As soon as my grays grown up, I'll send you your egg. If you go to my scroll, youn guys can see the hatchling and egg that will be the starting pair! And no, I'm not begging for clicks. I don't even need clicks! Mwahaha click sites are awesome. My DC user is the same, so my scroll is dragcave.net/user/igloo9201

Oh, and if anyone feels like making banners, that would be great. I'm using a tablet that can't even copy and paste, so I literally can't make a banner.

Well, I do like wolves. smile.gif And it never hurts to make people aware of the treatment of wildlife - how it is done, and how it should or could be done. Or of the facts about certain species opposing to misconceptions about them. So - count me in !

Oh, and I happen to love Greys - they have very beautiful sprites, and a nice desription. For me, the rarity (or common-ness) of a breed is absolutely no criteria for liking it. On the contrary - I'm happy about every nice lineage idea for the common species I adore.

Also, like purplehaze I think the Greys being that common makes the restriction of "mating for life" unproblematic. Anyone can grab a CB Grey at almost any time, so reserving it for just this lineage shouldn't be a problem. (Except for people who have a certain scroll limit per breed, but I guess those aren't very much into breeding in any case...)

I prefer even gens above stairsteps or spirals, but if the project demands it, then so be it. And yes, there are two options - the stair and the spiral (and anything in between).

Greetings,

Lantean_Pegasus

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

Thank you for joining! I agree, I really like a lot of commons myself. And like I said, grays have the best color palette for this.

I have made this for the project; tell me, if you can use it smile.gif .

user posted image

I also like to join the lineage because... well, isn't it obvious? I love wolves and a nice stairstep-project for a change won't hurt anyone biggrin.gif.

Grays are not boring, they just happen to be common which is actually good for lineage projects. An easy-to-obtain-breed everyone can catch, hatch and raise to adulthood.

Does anyone have any name suggestions? I was thinking Silvermoon Thunder and Silvermoon Lightning, but that's a bit boring....Silver Sarah Palin Hater? And Moon Sarah Palin Hater? Yay! Not, really, but that would be fitting.

For everyone, here is the code for the banner if anyone wants to use it:

[URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=153508][IMG=http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/VoicesBehindDarkShadows/SilvermoonKlein.png][/URL]

I am most satisfied with the current lineage name though I don't know what everyone else is thinking.

Wolf Fact of the Day: Did you know that Labrador Retrievers have webbed feet? This trait was inherited from wolves. Wolves have webbed feet to act as snowshoes that help them hunt in the winter. It also helps them swim. Wolves actually really enjoy swimming and are rather good at it.

Random Wolf Fact: Adult wolves have 42 teeth.

@igloo:

Well, you could call them "Wolf" in other languages. For example:

Lupus Silvermoon (Latin) and Serigala Silvermoon (Indonesian)

Or, for the male, "Vuk" or "Vucko" Silvermoon - "Vuk" means wolf in serbo-croatian, and "Vucko" translates as "Little Wolf", that was the name of the mascot of the Olympic Winter Games 1984 in Sarajevo.

You can find lists with words for wolf in different languages here and here.

Greetings,

Lantean_Pegasus

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

I should name them after the Latin wolf names! Like, for example:

Silver Canis Lupus

Silver Canis Rufus

Silver Canis Arctos

I'm thinking for the male to be Silver Canis Lupus (Gray Wolf) and for the female to be Silver Canis Arctos (Arctic or Tundra Wolf)

Thanks, Pegasus!

That's very nice !

But the offsprings' lineage name will still be "Silvermoon", correct ?

Random Wolf Fact: Wolves appear to think that walking on ice is extremely fun.

A Conclusion That I Have Reached Through Experience: Wolf pups have very soft tongues. Even though they're fur looks soft, it's actually rather wiry and somewhat scratchy.

Edited by igloo9201

Thanks, Spiritwolfe! Well the point is, you'll be getting one. So the current waiting list is:

1: purplehaze

2: Lantean_Pegasus

3: Flaviel

4: Spiritwolfe

Wow. I have lots of breeding to do. biggrin.gif

Wow. I have lots of breeding to do. biggrin.gif

You wouldn't necessarily have to do all the breeding. Once some of the rest of us have eggs from you and they are grown, we could breed some from them to give away, too. That is the way most lineages work. smile.gif

Good morning, everyone! Idk if you guys like rps, but I have an unapproved rp called I think the Silver Moon Pack, Wolf rp or something of the sort. Go check it out!

Alright, everyone. Go to youtube, and type in a tribute to all those wolves. Watch the video. Warning: if you have a heart, it is likely that you will cry like a newborn.

Wolves actually have a flight distance 1/2 mile. If humans come withing this range, most healthy, wild, wolf packs will flee.

Edited by igloo9201