demonichunny

Rock People

This is a topic for all the secret rock nerds. If you like Igneous, Metamorphic, or Sedimentary, you can express yourself here. I, myself, am a Geode nut. I just love finding unopened ones and unlocking mysteries that have been hidden away for thousands of years. Please, don't be shy about loving a mineral, gem, and even mud ^^

At one point I developed a, shall we say, a little tradition of taking along an interesting rock or two back from any region I traveled to. Over time, my cabinet/bedroom windowsill has accumulated quite the collection of minerals.

(What locations do you find geodes in? My own country, sadly, isn't exactly rich in them...)

To Shienvien: Um I think Iowa has a lot. I'm in Michigan and the only way I can get them is at a museum gift shop. They're not all that colorful or rare, but still fun ^^

To SockPuppet: That's awesome ^^ I'm working to be a Marine Biologist. I took Geology and, at the moment, Paleontology mostly for fun ^^

My class isn't too bad yet. I think it's because I have the same teacher from Geology and she's a fun teacher ^^

Well, not so much the class itself, just the lab. What kind of labs are you doing? Usually, paleontology labs are going through fossils (lots of shells, mostly), drawing and labeling them, and memorizing their species/classification/etc.

For a moment there I thought you were calling out to people into rock music, but as it happens I did sign up for a course in ancient/prehistory and palaeontology in my youth but changed my mind at the last minute and went on to become a journalist. I still like watching archaeological digs on TV though and I collect crystals. If that counts. smile.gif

To Puppet: We're doing all your saying lol Right now we are dealing with Evolution and sanding down little rice-sized shells of snail-like animals and drawing what they look like under the microscopes.

To RockChick: Anything about rocks that you like is accepted here ^^

Yuuuuuup, I did not like that repetition. Thank goodness my prof didn't make us do what he had to do - his 101 lab was having to go through his uni's fossil room and draw and memorize near 1000 samples. We didn't have to do anywhere near that number, lol.

That's lucky ^^ I messed up our first lab by accidentally completely sanding away the specimen and having to do it all over. Took three days for me to finish it.

To Puppet: We're doing all your saying lol Right now we are dealing with Evolution and sanding down little rice-sized shells of snail-like animals and drawing what they look like under the microscopes.

To RockChick: Anything about rocks that you like is accepted here ^^

Awesomeness, thank you, I'm in the club then...wooohoo!

I used to collect rocks all the time when I was younger, I still keep neat ones when I find em c:

tbh whenever I see shiny rocks and crystals and whatnot (especially colorful ones) I kinda want to eat them though

Like I don't actually try to eat them or anything but they look delicious |D

(tbh when I saw the title I thought this was a thread about rock-based humanoids or something c': )

Edited by Pika_Oi

Well, we do need minerals to live, so we kinda are rock people lol

Last year my family drove from Michigan to Florida and we went through the Appellation Mountains. It's one of the oldest mountain range in the world, back from Pangaea. It was so cool seeing all the rock layers. I wished I had been able to grab a rock from there.

Well, we do need minerals to live, so we kinda are rock people lol

Last year my family drove from Michigan to Florida and we went through the Appellation Mountains. It's one of the oldest mountain range in the world, back from Pangaea. It was so cool seeing all the rock layers. I wished I had been able to grab a rock from there.

That sounds awesome. Had a similar experience at he Grand Canyon many years ago and bought gems, stones and crystals from eh gift shop. Also got a bunch of Fool's Gold.

Cool ^^ I've got a rattler geode from the gift shop from the Museum of Science and Industry from Chicago. I told this website called American Geode about it and they were going to open it for me, but it's too small for them to open without breaking it.

You have some gneiss cleavage there, GummyBear wink.gif lol

You can polish nice looking rocks and make them shiny ^^

I have a geode somewhere too, a pink one, I ought it in a market and I had my neighbour's little girl with me (this was many years ago as she's in her 20s now) and the stall owner told her they were dragon's eggs so I bought her a purple one. She got very lucky another time once as a priest gave her a genuine fossil.

I really like looking at different rocks, crystals, and all the patterns in them. I have some collections of gemstones, but I often lose them and then find them again, so I rarely get the chance to look at all of them together.

I'm always losing mine too. Also I wear them in miniature form on bracelets around my wrist: they help with emotional, health or stress issues.

I'm a biologist, but I love finding interesting rocks and pebbles. I tend to pocket anything even remotely colourful or shiny. There's a reason I have "raven" in my username. xd.png

Problem is, when you're on a long hike, pockets get reeeeaaallly heavy from collecting rocks along the way. xd.png

My friend once found a rock with three actual quartz crystals growing out of it, but so far I haven't found anything as interesting.

Edited by MessengerDragon

My friend once found a rock with three actual quartz crystals growing out of it, but so far I haven't found anything as interesting.

That would be soooooooooooooooooooo cool.

Well Raven, biology and geology are kind of one in the same sometimes. Without rocks, biologists and paleontologists wouldn't know how to date fossils of animals to help complete the animal kingdom ^^

Also, I found a mud-stone that was shaped like an ear on the beach of St. Clair River in Michigan ^^

-stares at the three pieces of iridescent labradorite literally 6 inches from her elbow-

-thinks of the various rock souvenirs she's picked up on trips-

-remembers she asked for a meteorite as her Christmas present one year-

Yeah, I can safely say I like rocks.