Darien

Trains...

Seeing as we have one on cars I thought I would ask if there any Train lover out there. I used too live next too the tracks and would watch every day as the trains go by and I would wave too them. So whats your thoughts on Trains?...

Edited by Darien

user posted image

Okay now nobody else can do this and you have to be serious ;P

I've never been on one, it looks like fun.

They're noisy though. I live close enough to tracks that I hear the "choo choo" all the time. It's kind of annoying.

I'm always serious tongue.gif and here is a little Vintage Southern Railway for you, enjoy...

Trains are cool.

Growing up in southern Connecticut, I took the Metro-North commuter line into New York City a few times. On one memorable occasion in 1982, I exchanged a greeting with Christopher Reeve. (He played Superman in the movies back then, for you folks too young to know the name.)

Living in the Atlanta area now, I take the MARTA Red Line to Peachtree Center or Five Points every so often. (MARTA = Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, runs the buses and the light rail system.)

I've also been on steam trains a few times, at Steamtown in Vermont, and the train and riverboat ride in Essex, Connecticut. I love steam trains, probably because I tend to like anything historical in general, lol.

And related to that, before I moved, I had an electric train set (HO scale if anyone cares) and I had been planning on getting a particular style of steam locomotive and repainting it to look like descriptions of the passenger trains that had come through the town I was living in then, back in the late 1800s. But then the move happened, so I ended up selling my train set because I just didn't have the space to pack it, sigh. I'm still disappointed, though, because I'd spent so much time and effort finding old photos of the town from back then, and looking up the colors used by the railroad company that ran through there and everything. Ah well, maybe eventually I'll be able to do it. Either that, or I want to do a layout with the Hogwarts Express. biggrin.gif

I was never on a train in my life until I moved here to Japan. Now I have to take them every day to work. At least they're clean!

Trains are cool.

And related to that, before I moved, I had an electric train set (HO scale if anyone cares) and I had been planning on getting a particular style of steam locomotive and repainting it to look like descriptions of the passenger trains that had come through the town I was living in then, back in the late 1800s. But then the move happened, so I ended up selling my train set because I just didn't have the space to pack it, sigh. I'm still disappointed,

Yup train's are very cool, sorry too here that you had too sale you HO scale trian set, I still have mine. So any of you out there ever hop a trian and ride from town too town?

I just watched this guy riding on the UP freigth trian great video...

Girl:I like singing!

Boy:I like dancing!

iliketrainskid:I like trains.

*train comes*

Trains are slower than planes and I used to wish I could take a plane like the rest of my schoolmates to go home for vacation, but later I decided trains for single coast journeys were better. Never had a sleeper. Might be fun. Do they still have them?

Walking between cars to the club car or diner was amazing and eating soup or rounded veggies is a great trick, more so on a train then plane. Plane's just air pockets and storms make eating difficult.

I like trains except when I have a migraine and they are letting the world know they are there, watch out and be careful.. Waiting for long cargo trains to pass while you are in a car on the road trying to get to the hospital to have your baby, wasn't much fun though.

Anyone else have stories about trains they have been on or waited for them to pass?

If subway/metro count as train, I ride them almost everyday. I have to go to campus by subway.

Edited by sh20000sh

Do MRTs count? It's the closest we have to trains in singapore. Although.. I rode a train when I visited legoland. It was fun!

Do MRTs count? It's the closest we have to trains in singapore. Although.. I rode a train when I visited legoland. It was fun!

Yes they count, I use too hop the old Southern trains that used too run through my home town when I was 16...

I take the train to school and home everday. ~1h 40min everyday.

I like it. It's a lot better than taking the bus or a car. You can read etc. without getting sick.

tongue.gif

I would consider myself as a train freak.. xd.png I took the train to school every day from 7th grade to last year in high school, and still have to take the train as soon as I'm going anywhere since all of my friends live in other cities ^^ I actually plan on getting an education so I can be a train driver. I'm kind of "in love" with these older trains.. I would really love to drive one of those! tongue.gif

Trains are slower than planes and I used to wish I could take a plane like the rest of my schoolmates to go home for vacation, but later I decided trains for single coast journeys were better.  Never had a sleeper.  Might be fun.  Do they still have them?

Yep! Took an Amtrak train ride to California with two other people. The sleepers are surprising comfortable for a reasonable price and all your meals are included. Super fun!

When i was still a lil brat we used to go to my aunt all the time with train, it was a lot of fun and every time an 4 hour adventure.

I always had a thing for the old steam trians, specially the UP Big Boy, now thats a trian!, take a look for your self...

Yep! Took an Amtrak train ride to California with two other people. The sleepers are surprising comfortable for a reasonable price and all your meals are included. Super fun!

I've never been on Amtrak, how long did it take you too get too California by train?

I've only ever really ridden on trains whenever I was in Europe for spring break back in both 2011 and 2012. The cars were more often than not always crowded, but whenever it came to traveling between city to city on a non-subway train, the cars were very organized. I liked that.

Trains can be nice for seeing the countryside, but they can take a long time and/or be uncomfortable over long periods.

Trains can be nice for seeing the countryside.

That's one of the things I always liked about hopping a train, seeing the country side as it rolls by...