TJ09

2016-09-12 - New Forum Layout

To say that the default red forum layout has aged poorly would be an understatement. The color scheme and logo don't even match those used on the site. Given that this is the default face of the Dragon Cave community, I decided we can do better. Introducing, a forum design that looks like it was made this decade:

user posted imageuser posted image

This is part of some preparations to hopefully move us towards newer forum software. The new layout more closely matches that we would be getting from an upgrade, without changing the actual featureset.

The default forum skin for all users has been updated to this design. Users who prefer the old default may still select it from the settings page, but any of the non-default layouts are going to receive limited support, and will be going away in the case of an eventual forum upgrade.

Woah! They match now! Will take some getting used to.

Is the main font PT Sans?

Edited by dirtytabs

Very nice. Looks sleek biggrin.gif

Edit: ooh I like having the PM/website links at the end of posts. Snazzy.

Edited by dragonwinxzodiac

Whoop! Looks rather Nice

Glad to know I'm not going crazy xd.png

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Cool! Thanks TJ!

Though am I one of the few who prefers the old skin?

Edit- Figured it out. The text might need to be bigger and thicker. And I'm afraid my vision doesn't like the silver-on-black bits, too...

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

Wow I just refreshed the page and boom

It's gonna take some getting used to, but it's very sleek!

Thanks TJ (and whoever worked on this) for the new layout!

Not a big fan of change but this is alright I suppose. Much brighter; shocked me at first. But I can get used to it. laugh.gif Especially liking the PM link at the bottom of each post. Easier to get a hold of people.

Just noticed there's a weird space/extra line before the signature actually starts. Result of the new layout?

Could be It is, but it's always been there, just not noticeable

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Not a big fan of change but this is alright I suppose. Much brighter; shocked me at first. But I can get used to it. laugh.gif Especially liking the PM link at the bottom of each post. Easier to get a hold of people.

That's a forum feature. AFAIK it has been a part of all the skins so far. o.o

Woah! They match now! Will take some getting used to.

Is the main font PT Sans?

It is. Dragon Cave uses PT Serif, so PT Sans made sense.

Oh wow. Well, thank you TJ for this updated layout! I've always used the blue one, and probably will continue to do so, but I've switched over to the new layout just to check it out. It's a little too bright for me, but I do love the cave background.

I am going to be dreaming big on this one, but I'm hoping that the layout of when entering a post changes. Like, adding more colors then just the seven that's listed (maybe add some more emotion variety?)

That's a forum feature. AFAIK it has been a part of all the skins so far. o.o

Of course it has! laugh.gif I just now realized that it has always been there. It is just easier to notice now.

EDIT:

I've decided to stick with the original layout. The new one is too bright for my eyes.

Edited by purplenewt

Just noticed there's a weird space/extra line before the signature actually starts. Result of the new layout?

It's probably more noticeable since I cleaned up the spacing on a lot of things, but it's always been there.

I did just tweak it to be less.

Thanks, was really confused what people were talking about at first. I was on DC Blue. I strongly disliked the very outdated look of the red. I really like it now and have switched. Thanks!

I just realized the new look gets rid of the underline under the names and such ohmy.gif