mugrum

Old music anyone?

Im sure I am one of the few teenagers in this world with their entire Ipod full of the likes of Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Bix Beiderbecke, Bill Haley and his Comets & The Beatles. I was to find more fans of these guys, I a certain I am not the only one.

Right with you on the Beatles, the then-lords & masters of the coming age of rock. I really adore Simon & Garfunkel, too. smile.gif

Gotta love The King!

*grins*

No you don't! Not all of his music, anyway. I like some, but there are a few Elvis songs out there that make me want to claw out my eardrums... most notably, "Blue Christmas" especially when I'm running errands during the silly season and six different stores in a row have it blaring on the muzak.

Give me Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper over Elvis any day of the week.

Ah, every artist has their off moment (and, to be fair, the fact that something is massively over-played doesn't make it a bad song - there's very few songs people *won't* get bored of if they hear them too often).

Musn't forget Chuck Berry, though!

Eh, a few bands from the late 50s to late 60s. Mainly some of the underground stuff at the time.

I.E. MC5, The Stooges, Blue Cheer, Link Wray, etc.

Ah, every artist has their off moment (and, to be fair, the fact that something is massively over-played doesn't make it a bad song - there's very few songs people *won't* get bored of if they hear them too often).

Musn't forget Chuck Berry, though!

Nor Bill Haley and the Comets!

As far as Elvis goes, with the exception of that one song, I don't dislike him, I'm just kind of "meh" about his music. "Blue Christmas" though, that song seems to take all the things I don't like about him and amplify them times ten. Which is kind of sad, because I remember liking the song when I first heard it (sung by someone else) as a part of the 1974 Rankin/Bass Christmas special "The Year Without a Santa Claus".

For anyone unfamiliar with the show, it's a cute one, from the same team that made "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town". It is close to an hour long, but you can watch it here if you're interested. Silly, yes, but it -is- aimed at little kids, after all.

Songs from the 1950s are great! biggrin.gif

I have many by the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Simon and Garfunkel, and even a few by The Andrew Sisters and Bing Crosby!

Frank Sinatra is one of my favs smile.gif

Another great song is by Neil Sedaka, "Breakin' Up Is Hard To Do" -- I always catch myself humming this tune smile.gif

There are some lovely songs/artists here but no-one's mentioned Andy Williams yet!

Two of my all time favourites

Macarthur Park by Richard Harris

Mack the Knife by Bobby Darrin

Might actually be cheating here - I'm way past being a teenager!

Definitely an Elvis fan here, some old music can be great, some newer music can be great too, I have a VERY varied taste xd.png

You guys are such Rebel Rousers. tongue.gif

ELO, the Beatles, and Jefferson Airplane are awesome!

There are loads more but BLAH NEED CAFFEINE.

Edited by Draikette

*cough* The Beatles were the 60s, not the 50s. *cough*

As far as music from the 50s goes, I like The Chordettes, Elvis Presley, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline...

Until I read the description I was like, yes! I love Gregorian chants!.... oh.

From this time period off the top of my head,

I love Nina Simone!! Also Aretha Franklin, and Simon and Garfunkel. smile.gif

I really dig the Beatles( 60's though),"The King" and Buddy Holly. Simone and Garfunkel are great too.

Edited by ToaofPonies

I've been listening to Engelbert Humperdink's Les Bicyclettes de Belsize this afternoon.

Love it!

Definitely not a teenager, however...

Louis Armstrong

Etta James

Doris Day

Simon and Garfunkel

CCR

The Hollies

Neil Diamond

etc...

Love it when my dad pulls out the Simon and Garfunkel :3 gotta love David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian) for his random song too

Amazing how many of you love the classic old genres of music. :3

Here's my list:

Doris Day

Elvis Presley

The Beatles

Hall & Oats

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Boston

Rush

Bon Jovi

Bill Joel

Billy Idol

Joan Jett <3

Twisted Sister

a-ha

The Beastie Boys

Pink Floyd

There's more than this, but still are theeee best.

Gotta admit, I'm tired of the "i must be the only teenager who likes classic country/classic rock and roll/symphony/old jazz/etc" buuut...

Love, bolded my favourites:

Ella Fitzgerald

Connie Francis

Elvis Presley

Buddy Holly

Peggy Lee

Ritchie Valens

Jo Stafford

Benny Goodman

Bill Haley & His Comets

Duke Ellington

Frank Sinatra

Nancy Sinatra

Louis Armstrong

Statler Brothers

Johnny Cash

Caterina Valente

Rosemary Clooney

Dinah Shore

Deanna Durbin

Dean Martin

Edith Piaf

Patsy Cline

Fritzi Scheff

Bessie Smith

Hank Williams

Clarence Henry

Chuck Wagon Gang

The Andrew Sisters

And my abolsute favourite

BETTE MCLAURIN! <3 <3

I honestly don't listen to much of any music later than the '70s just because it doesn't sound pretty to me. There are a bunch of other singers/groups I like too, but these are the ones I listen to frequently and always have in my MP3 player.

Edited by Zovesta

When I was a teenager, I listen to dead classical musicians... But for the past decade I begin to listen to more contemporary ones (some still dead)... Shostakovich, Penderecki, Lutoslawski should fall into the 50s era, especially Shostakovich, he surprisingly has some extraordinary film scores.

But I also listen to some very new music gender that only appeared since 90s.

Edited by ishlia

I mean 1950's, not 1980's.

How about 1940's?

I'm thinking Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys. . .

My dad and I are huge fans of Buddy Holly. We listen to him all the time and plan to go visit the Surf Ballroom where Buddy performed his last show.