Faetan

Welcome to Nightvale

Welcome to Nightvale is a podcast that releases shows on the first and fifteenth of every month and revolves around a quiet, perfectly normal little town. Each podcast is set in the style of a community radio show, hosted by Cecil Baldwin. He covers things such as traffic, financial news, and the weather. Each section is peppered by local community events, such as the mysterious lights above the Arby's, the mysterious hooded figures, perfect and beautiful Carlos, the tiny city underneath lane five of the bowling alley, and the dog park (of course, we're not supposed to know about the dog park. It is forbidden, after all.) It is written by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor. Narrated by Cecil Baldwin, and the music is by Disparition. You can learn more at http://commonplacebooks.com/welcome-to-night-vale

First of all, I wanted to know how many Dragon Cave users listen to Nightvale. I hardly see any threads about it!

Second, Welcome to Nightvale's universe is pretty nebulous. Due to the total lack of visual cues, we can only guess what everyone looks like. We also have a case of 'unreliable narrator', meaning we can't always take what Cecil says at face value. Therefore, the universe is largely left up to it's fans to interpret and dissect. I want to know more about your head-canons and what you think goes on in Nightvale!

Edited by Faetan

I haven't listened to it yet, but I've seen a lot of fanart on Tumblr, and all my friends are talking about it. So it's got me curious, and I think I will have to check it out.

I LOVE IT.

I'm up to the Valentine's Day episode and I am completely and utterly in love.

Here's a great blog that I found.

Heheh, I occasionally take a peek at the blog. I've found that a lot of people's ideas about Nightvale are relatively similar, at least on tumblr. It's always interesting rifling through it though.

Keep working your way up though. You're going to cry when you hit One Year Later. Cecil is a tearjerker when he wants to be. >u>

I haven't listened to it yet, but I've seen a lot of fanart on Tumblr, and all my friends are talking about it. So it's got me curious, and I think I will have to check it out.

I urge you to listen! Whether you like it or not, it can really make you think. The first few episodes might sound a little odd, but Cecil gets better with every podcast that goes up.

Thank you for posting a link, I've been wanting to check it out (thank you Tumblr) but I didn't know where to search.

With that said, I'm off to listen to it.

Hey, someone made a thread, yay! xd.png

I LOVE Night Vale so much; I got into it a few weeks ago and caught up on every episode. Then I changed my profile location to Night Vale. smile.gif I love Cecil's voice- deadpan, ambiguous sarcasm is the best- and the scripts are wonderful. So funny and sometimes creepy and perfect.

Oops, forgot to add my head canon like you requested. :3 With regards to the characters' appearances, I usually imagine Carlos as looking almost Native American, and Cecil is blond. Fan art I see with brown-haired Cecil feels wrong to me. I love the fanart where he's blond with the third eye thing and patterns like swirly tattoos on his arms.

Edited by Dimar

Hey, someone made a thread, yay! xd.png.png

I LOVE Night Vale so much; I got into it a few weeks ago and caught up on every episode. Then I changed my profile location to Night Vale. smile.gif I love Cecil's voice- deadpan, ambiguous sarcasm is the best- and the scripts are wonderful. So funny and sometimes creepy and perfect.

Oops, forgot to add my head canon like you requested. :3 With regards to the characters' appearances, I usually imagine Carlos as looking almost Native American, and Cecil is blond. Fan art I see with brown-haired Cecil feels wrong to me. I love the fanart where he's blond with the third eye thing and patterns like swirly tattoos on his arms.

His voice is lovely, I keep a few podcasts on my ipod just so I can space out and listen to him. It's quite nice.

I haven't quite figured out what I imagine Cecil to be. Occasionally, I imagine he looks much like his voice actor of the same name, but usually, I imagine him to be abnormally pale with ultrablonde hair. The swirly tattoos are always pretty cool to look at, imho, but I'm not sure if Cecil is a tattoo kind of guy.

I imagine Carlos to be Hispanic-ish, but I also imagine he doesn't actually speak Spanish, and he isn't in tune to his heritage or anything, so he winds up being a rather dorky sort of guy instead of the romantic everyone makes him look like :,D

His voice is lovely, I keep a few podcasts on my ipod just so I can space out and listen to him. It's quite nice.

I haven't quite figured out what I imagine Cecil to be. Occasionally, I imagine he looks much like his voice actor of the same name, but usually, I imagine him to be abnormally pale with ultrablonde hair. The swirly tattoos are always pretty cool to look at, imho, but I'm not sure if Cecil is a tattoo kind of guy.

I imagine Carlos to be Hispanic-ish, but I also imagine he doesn't actually speak Spanish, and he isn't in tune to his heritage or anything, so he winds up being a rather dorky sort of guy instead of the romantic everyone makes him look like :,D

Ha, I love your Carlos! That sounds perfect for him. xd.png

I usually think of Cecil's "tattoos" as not really ink patterns, but something otherworldly that just happened to attach itself to him. It's kinda weird and supernatural in nature, but then that's totally normal in Night Vale, so. I haven't really thought about what they are exactly. tongue.gif I like toying with the idea that he sounds so normal, but really isn't entirely. (spoiler for some) Kinda like how Kevin sounded so happy and cheerful, then you discover he was surrounded by blood and viscera and stuff. Except less violent, because Cecil is nice. :3

I usually think of Cecil's "tattoos" as not really ink patterns, but something otherworldly that just happened to attach itself to him. It's kinda weird and supernatural in nature, but then that's totally normal in Night Vale, so. I haven't really thought about what they are exactly. tongue.gif I like toying with the idea that he sounds so normal, but really isn't entirely.

That, too sounds like a viable idea. Cecil mentioned in one episode something about a symbiotic lifestyle with a new parasite from Nightvale's health department, so perhaps that's what it is?

I once thought Cecil was actually just the microphone or even the entire radio booth itself, coming alive at certain times to broadcast news and then shutting down. You occasionally hear him leafing through papers or he says he's hiding under his desk, and once, eating an enchilada. That implies that he at least has arms...

Well it's about time I found this thread! I'm so happy to have stumbled across it.

My Cecil is the generic, blonde-hair-creepy-tattoos-and-glasses guy, probably because that's the first art of Cecil that I saw and the image pretty much stuck. I like the idea that the tattoos are a part of "reeducation" and serve as some kind of marker for City Council. My Cecil doesn't have a third eye though, because I see all Night Valeans as advanced humans that can withstand bullets and a good deal of the other crazy phenomena that occurs in Night Vale (I guess tattoos wouldn't hurt all that much in comparison). In my head, the place where Night Vale is built has some kind of spacial rift or wormhole opening, and all kinds of characters and phenomena are brought from other planets and even other universes. The original inhabitants of Night Vale have evolved over time in order to cope with these, but not to the extent of tentacles and mysterious third eyes. But of course I respect all interpretations! They're always so fun to see.

Sorry for the long post, but I finally found a place where I could spout off about my favorite podcast and the newest addition to my fandom repertoire.

Welcome to Night Vale is BEAUTIFUL! (Like Carlos. wink.gif )I only got into it a few days ago. Personally, I don't care about appearances so much as the town itself and the going ons. I prefer to take it mostly for face value and appreciate the podcast for what it is instead of making something out of it. So in a way, I am an outsider looking in and simply observing rather than dissecting and interpreting and appreciating the weirdness for the fact that it is simply weird. If that makes any sense... I have been considering writing a submission though...

I personally think Cecil is Native American considering how offended he was by the "Apache Tracker." It was almost as if he took the guy as a personal offense. I also believe Cecil has a pale complexion compared to the other citizens of the desert town because he spends so much time in radio studio instead of outside in the sun. I picture him as being hugely tall with dark hair and strangely eerie eyes framed by dorky glasses along with a goofy smile.

I love the surrealism that is incorporated in the Night Vale writing style, and my own writing tends to dip into the strange and unusual after I've been listening to it for a while. tongue.gif

I absolutely love WTNV. All the different headcanons are amazing, and it's resulted in some gorgeous fanart. My personal favorite artist is Myisha. Her design is one of the finalists in the tshirt contest!

I got them all about a week ago, and have a lot of catching up to do. I've listened up to the first eight, plus Street Cleaning Day (which is either 14 or 15).

I find it fantastic.

I have yet to listen to Night Vale, but the tweets from the site or whatever are hilarious and the premise sounds very interesting.

Does anyone know where I can listen to it?

Does anyone know where I can listen to it?

You can listen to the episodes online at Soundcloud without needing an account or anything. But I think they're also free on iTunes and other places you can subscribe to podcasts.

Edited by Dimar

Ah, thanks Dimar!

Finally, I will understand the WTN posts that have been all over my Tumblr dashboard. tongue.gif

EDIT: Oh gosh the first episode is weird but funny help conflicting feelings

Edited by azila

i love wtnv!

i havent listened to too many of the latest episodes, but im planning on checking them out over the weekend!!

Never thought I'd get addicted to....well, a podcast of all things.

But I've listened to most of the episodes now. Dear god, the weather section and the proverbs at the end. xd.png

So how does everyone imagine Cecil? My image of him has been influenced by fanart. I totally see him with white blonde hair and glasses, with tattoos on his arms and his forehead. And Carlos, to me, has perfect, indescribable hair. I can't describe it. But it's beautiful.

So how does everyone imagine Cecil? My image of him has been influenced by fanart. I totally see him with white blonde hair and glasses, with tattoos on his arms and his forehead. And Carlos, to me, has perfect, indescribable hair. I can't describe it. But it's beautiful.

I imagine Cecil pretty much the same way, and Carlos as Native American (I gave a more detailed post on the last page and now I'm lazy xd.png).

These last few eps have been verrrry interesting. *watches suspiciously*

Ok now I gave in Friday and listened to the pilot episode...

Well I finished Saturday and I loaded the live-episode "Condos" on Sunday and listened to it.

*squuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Sorry, had to be said.

So many things I want to know:

Who bought lot 37?

What happened to Teenage Cecil and his brother?

Who was the traveler?

Why does everyone hate Steve Carlsberg? (aside from the obvious reason that he IS Steve Carlsberg)

Which dead celebrity will play next at dark owl records?

Will we ever see John Peters - you know the farmer - again?

What will Lauren Mallard do to Carlos?

How will Tamika (and/or the rest of night vale) stop strexcorp?

How is Dana the intern doing?

Will the Erikas ever come back?

How are Koshek and his kittens doing?

Why are Cecil and Carlos so adorable?

No wait - I know that last one - because they are sweet and loving and have a developing, believable relationship, although we witness so little of it <3

Also: Throat spiders - best explanation EVAH!

i love night vale!! it's like exactly the kind of podcast i've dreamed of. utterly horrifying and creepy with humor and romance! ♥

i frequent tumblr so i got into it pretty early and i'm all caught up to episode 41 right now.

unfortunately? i feel like i'm rushing by too many episodes due to lack of time. u___u i want to savor them more. i'm also kind of turned off by the fandom that i've seen around tumblr that solely focuses on Carlos and Cecil's relationship. i ship it too, i'm glad they're together, but i'm really interested in more... theories about the show and the fact that everyone just goes along with all the mischief that happens despite people dying. really fascinating stuff but that i don't really see a lot of.