Dis

The sprite practice thread.

As was suggested by dragonsong, we've decided to make a thread compiled of sketches, and half done sprites for newer artists to practice on.

Anyone may spriteline, edit, color, or shade these for PRACTICE ONLY. However, you MUST follow the rules listed below.

Rules:

-You may NOT claim that you made them yourself.

-You may NOT post them ANYWHERE other than DC, and you must somehow give the original artist credit.

-You may not use them as suggestions on the thread, they are solely made for practice.

-If the artist has specific rules, pleeeease respect them. Without these guys, we wouldn't have this thread. (Also, this isn't a rule, but it'd be very sweet if you'd let them know you appreciate their work ;3)

-If you want to contribute sketches you can either post them here or PM a mod with them. If you post them here it's best to PM a mod as well so that we don't accidentally miss them.

DC IRC Channel: #arts

In the #arts channel on IRC, the main focus is to give constructive criticism and tutor artists to improve and to help guide projects to completion. Users can receive help with anything ranging from sketching, redlining, sprite-lining, flat-coloring, or shading dragon pixel art. There's quite a wide range of artists who hang in #arts, so you may also find help for other art mediums as well.

Specific Spriter Rules:

-Slaskai's quicksilver sketch and edits may not be posted anywhere besides this

board.

- Kila "I wanna see the progress"

Contributors:

-Rynnfox

-Dracchan

-Slaskia

-Faeryl

-Floari

-AngelKitty

-waterspirit07

-Gradient

-Kila

-angelicdragonpuppy

Sketches

Link Link

~Rynnfox

Link

~Dracchan

LinkLink Link

~Slaskia

Link Link Link

~Faeryl

Link

~Floari

Link

~Gradient

Link Link Link

~kila

Link

Link

Link

Link

~angelicdragonpuppy

Sprites

user posted image

~Dracchan

user posted image

~AngelKitty

user posted image

~waterspirit07

Others

This is the whole process finished provided by Zovesta, allowing you to pracitce from the original sketch, cleaning up, coloring, and shading. Her rule is that you post whatever you finish here for her to see.

Sketch to Sprite

Cleaning up

Color Combos

Shading

For beginners, you may be interested in these pixel shading palettes to help get started and figuring out what kind of colors (how different should they be) you want to use in shading.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

-reserved for future use-

Edited by Dis

Gonna reserve this post just in case we can get those four previous ones deleted and reposted after this one XD

-reserved-

Er, we can post now that you reserved that, right? Because someone's getting wrong credit, and I just wanted to clear things up there. Hope you don't mind! smile.gif

@Ketsala: That's a pretty good spriteline, but the sketch is by Faeryl, not me. It's on the first post so I just tried it out since I liked it a lot. smile.gif

Well, if we can post, I'm just going to repost my post:

You got it cleared! smile.gif

I got a spriteline.

From sketch.

user posted image

To sprite.

user posted image

Are there any problems?

Yush o:! You can repost. I've already got those two posted and reserved. I just need the ones before those two posts to be deleted :3 I sent them PMs so hopefully we can get the first three post spot.

And who's got the wrong credit D:?

Oh, for the sketch. Ketsala said she was spriting my sketch and I'm just saying that the sketch was made my Faeryl, not me.

(By the way, Dragon Song actually has a space. Not important, yes, but just wanted you to know. smile.gif )

user posted image

Hm, is it any better?

Edited by Rosella Surmane

Yes, better. smile.gif I'm not really seeing anything else right now, as far as lines go. There is a bit of a dark spot under the head that I don't know what it's supposed to be. It was on the sketch too...

Thanks, Fiona. smile.gif Er, that's the dragon's mouth, the black thing. There wasn't really space for a white spot so I just made it black. I'll start colouring and shading a little later.

This is rather lovely, Miss Rosella! You did pretty good. Those lines are smooth and beautiful.

Very lovely! =)

Ok can I get concrit/help on this one:

user posted image

First, it has several bumpy lines and the ones that I hate more are the ones on the wing but I don't know how to eliminate then and still keep the look of it bending like a finger.

Second, is the shading right? I don't know I just took examples from other sprites, but for example the wing membrane doesn't look like if it was curving (for lack of a better word).

This is waterspirit07's sprite which I have coloured, and is my first attempt at colouring. I've only ever sprited pokemon in the past. I have edited it a bit and got confused about the wing so I made it like a flamey-ethereal wing. I colured the eye and gave it some eye-shadowy shapes

I fail =(

post-15-1253234534.png

This is waterspirit07's sprite which I have coloured, and is my first attempt at colouring. I've only ever sprited pokemon in the past. I have edited it a bit and got confused about the wing so I made it like a flamey-ethereal wing. I colured the eye and gave it some eye-shadowy shapes

I fail =(

Nope! You're just new :3! The first thing I would suggest is to outline it in a darker color. Right now the outline makes it looks blurry. However, make sure you don't use a black outline o: that flattens it out. So just pick a few shades darker than the main color. After you do that we'll work from there.

I have a sprite, I made a while back, that I am willing to donate.

You can ONLY post it here, or on dA. If you post it on DeviantArt, you must credit me, with a link to my profile, or the image, or somehow have 'tinakhal' in the description. My dA, btw, is tinakhal.deviantart.com

user posted image

Linky

Feel free to clean-up, color, shade, etc.

Thank you very much! However, I think we're alright for donations at the moment x3! I may accept some again later if I think I need them.

o: I think from now on I'll keep PMs open to donations and use them later if I think I need more. I'll keep you on my list for now x3!

You need to use a larger variety of colors/shades when you shade, to create contrast and depth. I'd suggest about four or five different shades for your shadows, and three to five for your highlights. Right now, I can barely see and shading, and it looks like you only shaded in one area.

Adding an arrow, or a mini sun in one corner han help you establish a light source, which will help prevent multiple lightscources/pillowshading.

At the moment this actually doesn't look shaded. If anything it looks like flat colors x: However, shading is quite difficult for beginners. Like Sextonator (your name is impossible to abbreviate :|) suggested, pick a wide variety of different colors and one light source. The easiest for beginners is the top left. SO that means the rays from our little invisible sun are shooting down so everything on the top left of the dragon would be lit, and any bumps or bulges that stick out would block the area under it from being hit by invisisun. Makes sense?

Okay, after observing a lot of people doing this, I gotta say: don't be a slave to your lines.

If you're sprite-lining from a sketch and you see that something doesn't look right, don't be afraid to change it on the sprite. For one, sometimes things just don't translate well in the square and tiny world of pixels, for another, chances are it's wrong on the sketch anyway.

Same goes for when you are colouring. Sometimes having shading in some spot will make the outline there redundant. Sometimes shapes need adjusting if adding shading makes the look bad.

In conclusion: don't be a slave to your lines. They can lead you wrong.

Okay, this is my first try at translating a sketch to a sprite.

From rynnfox's sketch found rynnfox's sketch

here is my sprite of it.

user posted image

Im not sure how I feel about it, but it's my first really serious effort : /

Hm. I'm not expert but something is deinitely off. Check out the head. Don't you think it's a little different? You need to work on the legs as well. The neck doesn't show the curves the sketch does. With some work, I think this would be good. smile.gif

Anyway, I finally got around shading a little of Faeryl's dragon (which really, really suites the adaptable dragon). And it's good to know you like the sprite, Faeryl! smile.gif

user posted image

I've only touched the front part of the dragon. Behind the wings are untouched. What's wrong with the current shading?

I also started playing around with a hatchling of my own. Is there anything wrong with them?

user posted image

*Points at avatar. Anything wrong with that one? (I just realize the amount of crit I'm about to get... Here, here...)

Edited by Rosella Surmane

Hm. I'm not expert but something is deinitely off. Check out the head. Don't you think it's a little different? You need to work on the legs as well. The neck doesn't show the curves the sketch does. With some work, I think this would be good. smile.gif

Here's my progress so far biggrin.gif hurray for doing this instead of sleeping

user posted image

Obviously still playing with the shading, but how am I doing with the body? I'm a little lost on the wings, but I think that's partially because I'm not the sketch artist and I'm not positive what they were getting at, so I am fairly certain that I interpreted them incorrectly. sad.gif

No, you got the wings, they're folded. You just forgot the skin of the wings.

Oh jeeze, now that I look at my sketch again, I realise just how horrible the anatomy is.