jessabelleanna

More Emojis/Smilies

Not saying we should get a TON of new emojis/smilies (not to the extent my phone has anyway) but would like to see a little more of them.

Ones in particular I would like to see are:

:3

0:) (angel/good)

>:) (devil/evil)

x.x (dead)

What emojis/smilies would you like added? Would you like any to be added at all?

Edit:

For some visuals I made some of the smilies I was suggesting:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by jessabelleanna

Here's the original More Smilies thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=105921

What I liked about it is that it gave examples of the actual smilies, not just the text commands.

~

I don't want to see :3 as an emoji. I use it so I don't get an emoji face, lol.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is more custom-made emojis that are fun, like: alot.pngvelociraptor.pngshades.pngpoptartFINALTINY.gifcensorkip.gif

I typically don't use the default faces because there's something about the round little yellow faces that I feel just don't flow with posts and aren't quite as expressive as the text emojis I use. I like the custom-made emojis we have, though. They're fun and they give the forum character. So if more emojis are added, those are the kinds I would prefer (and there's no way to force that, the ones we have arose mostly from random phrases and phases that happened on the forum or on IRC).

I don't want to see :3 as an emoji. I use it so I don't get an emoji face, lol.

If :3 was an was one of the smilies it would probably be my main...probably use it as a signature. I also think more custom made emojis would be super cool I think out of the ones we do have censorkip.gif is my fav

I do know some people who prefer text based emotocons over emojis. We do have a post options like enable emotocons so you could turn that off to keep the text based version (which I just discovered while writing this post tongue.gif) However if you wanted to use a mixture of text based emotocons with emojis I think that would be a problem.

Edited by jessabelleanna

The problem is remembering to click that little thing each time. If there was a forum option to -never- change text to emotes, it might work. I think the people who don't like their text being turned to emotes would tend to never want them turned to emotes.

I personally use =3 x3 and xP, all chosen because they do not get changed to anything pretty much everywhere that I've ever used.

The alot.png and censor kips would have to not be affected by that no emotes choice, because they're special.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

We totally need an ectoplasm emote.

Because all the time I see people abbreviate et cetera as ect. And that's wrong. It's etc. Makes me want to yell at them.

We totally need an ectoplasm emote.

Because all the time I see people abbreviate et cetera as ect. And that's wrong. It's etc. Makes me want to yell at them.

YES ! user posted image

Also per say - we need an emoji to give that the boot, too (it is PER SE, people !) And there are two more I can't recall just now.

ARRGH found one of them. "Donator". It is DONOR, people. DONOR.

and the other is being "adverse to" - it's averse. But I can't imagine an emoji for that !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Well, adverse is an actual word. I don't know of a reason why people would want to use it here but I'm not sure we want to censor it.

Donator comes up as an actual word too, with the same meaning as donor. I unno on that one.

No that's true and so no, indeed it can't work. But "I am adverse to inbreds" is not a valid statement... sad.gif

Unfortunately true. It's also unfortunately true that an emoji won't fix that one.

If we're going to be messing with smileys, the only thing I want to see is an edit to this one: wink.gif

It just looks so odd - like what you'd get from ':/' rather than a cheeky wink.

However, I don't think we need more smileys. A :3 one could be nice, but no matter what you do, it always looks weird.

Perhaps, instead of options for enabling/disabling smilies (or as well...) you need to input a particular character, like * or :, to turn your text into a smiley. So, alot.png would stay as text, but :alot.png: or *alot.png* would become emojis.

Just a thought.

Edited by Zeditha

ARRGH found one of them. "Donator". It is DONOR, people. DONOR.

They're actually synonyms. "Donator" is just rarely used in common speech.

@replacing more typos with emojis - no. Please don't. Not all of us are perfect English speakers. Heck, most of us are not even native speakers. We make mistakes all the time, and often we don't even notice them because -everyone else does the same mistake so it magically becomes "valid"-. Will a little icon depicting something absolutely irrelevant fix my grammar? Will it help me improve? Absolutely. Not. I would rather have an actual person quote my post and fix it rather than more "alot"-alikes all over the place.

Not sure about the actual smileys. I honestly don't like any of the classics except the ninja one <.< So I guess... more "fresh" alternatives, or the whole sets of smileys varying in styles, won't hurt to have.

Actually, before we got the alot, TJ had implemented some auto-corrects. The misspelled "alot" was corrected into "a lot (two words, not one)". There also was a similar correction for "definately", which turned into "definitely (with an e, not an a)" or something like that. TJ's personal pet peeves, if I remember correctly.

Actually, before we got the alot, TJ had implemented some auto-corrects. The misspelled "alot" was corrected into "a lot (two words, not one)". There also was a similar correction for "definately", which turned into "definitely (with an e, not an a)" or something like that. TJ's personal pet peeves, if I remember correctly.

Oh man, fun. I wouldn't mind an autocorrect system personally, as long as it works properly and as long as it is an option to turn off. It can turn really awkward with made-up or non-English words otherwise ><

If he simply autocorrected "ect" to "etc." as it is properly, with no snarky comments, that would be great too.

I understand that there are a lot of people here who are not native English speakers. However, the ones I see abusing our language the most have no such excuse. I begin to wonder if US schools still teach grammar or even the proper use of homonyms.

I don't see a way he could use autocorrect to fix other common errors, such as:

here - hear

to - too - two

there - they're - their

your - you're

its - it's

and I don't see an emoji working for those either. Those are personal gripes. I don't usually want to snipe at people who use them incorrectly. That just comes across as nit picking. It does bug me though.

I do think an emoji for "ect" would be cute though and relatively inoffensive.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

They're actually synonyms. "Donator" is just rarely used in common speech.

@replacing more typos with emojis - no. Please don't. Not all of us are perfect English speakers. Heck, most of us are not even native speakers. We make mistakes all the time, and often we don't even notice them because -everyone else does the same mistake so it magically becomes "valid"-. Will a little icon depicting something absolutely irrelevant fix my grammar? Will it help me improve? Absolutely. Not. I would rather have an actual person quote my post and fix it rather than more "alot"-alikes all over the place.

Not sure about the actual smileys. I honestly don't like any of the classics except the ninja one <.< So I guess... more "fresh" alternatives, or the whole sets of smileys varying in styles, won't hurt to have.

Crumbs so it is:

"Donator" is so rare that it is almost not a word. :-).  I checked Google ngram viewer.  Donor is approximately 10,000 times more common thatn donator. Donator has always been very rare, but it was more common at the end of the 19th century, esp around 1880.

Oh well. Even I am not from the 18th century.

I would like a "<3" to be in the clickable smilies as a heart to be honest

I would like a "<3" to be in the clickable smilies as a heart to be honest

Another one I wouldn't want to see. Emoji heart seems too... corny and overdone. But the text emoji I can use to show I'm friends with people, I love what they said, I appreciate the post, etc.

Even to my own family, I often opt out of my text emotes turning into emojis. Like, uh, sorry guys, that I accidentally just sent you a giant red heart. What I had in mind was a lot cuter and lot less awkward. >_e

Perhaps, instead of options for enabling/disabling smilies (or as well...) you need to input a particular character, like * or :, to turn your text into a smiley.

With the exception of B) which turns into cool.gif and therefore has to be carefully watched when doing informal lists, this is already what most smilies are. It's what our custom smiles are, anyway, and some of the defaults. I like the idea for the base text emojis, though. Then I could happily still use :3 and <3 and not have to worry about clunky emojis that I find unappealing.

~

I know I was the one to bring up more customized smilies, but I do not like the idea of focusing on typos an 1) bringing back autocorrect (and btw, alot.png was my pet peeve and TJ was kind enough to add it at the time until it was decided that it was more condescending than helpful and was therefore removed), or 2) adding a few or bunch more custom smilies that only focus on typos.

One or two can be funny. The alot.png is based off of a webcomic that is meant to be funny. But more than that and it becomes pedantic and a little pretentious.

I also don't like <3 turning into an image. Every time I try to send it to my friend on Skype I forget and send it normally, then have to edit out the giant pulsating heart it gets turned into by changing it to < 3. (skype has so many emojis that any word placed in parentheses also has a decent chance of changing into something else, which is NOT fun)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

With the exception of B ) which turns into cool.gif and therefore has to be carefully watched when doing informal lists, this is already what most smilies are. It's what our custom smiles are, anyway, and some of the defaults. I like the idea for the base text emojis, though. Then I could happily still use :3 and <3 and not have to worry about clunky emojis that I find unappealing.

That was basically my idea smile.gif I think it would be neat to be able to choose which things you want as an emoji, and the :emojitext: system seems like a good one.

The only reason I suggested using the asterisk is that most of the face smileys already use that character, and it could get confusing if you don't know whether to use ': ) :' or ': : ) :' - although if it was made clear which it was, I'm sure people would get used to it. tongue.gif

Also, I really do hate my lists turning into that. *shakes fist*

Edited by Zeditha

I get around lists pulling that by going

a}

b}

or a]

b]

That's one way. Using "real" lists is another. Like this:

1. ...
  2. ...

It just looks neater. smile.gif

Btw, the code goes like this (minus one single space):

1. [*]...

[*]...

[/ list]

I've never thought about implementing a code for lists, but it sounds like a good idea for those that would use it.

i.e. Trading

? kylee, there is a code for lists, olympe used it just above you.

I'm really indifferent on the topic of new smilies, it doesn't seem important but i don't use any smilies so it wouldn't affect me. Is there a way to make it so that the "enable emoticons" box is unchecked by default?

If new smilies/icons are added, I would prefer if they used codes that are not their text equivalent.

I.e. if we get a clickable user posted image then it should use something like :heart: and not <3.

Some dragon-related icons would be nice. ^^