PandaBandicoot

Breeding cross user

It would be cool to have a breeding buddies sort of thing, like friends, you add someone to your breeding buddies list and they have to accept, then you can breed your dragons with then by sending requests and they have to accept, then your dragons breed.

It would help newer cavers breed dragons and get more of a variety of eggs in their caves, that way friends can buddy up, get different eggs and breed dragons.

The egg would stay with the caver whom owns the female dragon.

This sounds great in theory, but it's already possible to help each other out by breeding for others. Even if you don't know anybody, there are lots of people here who breed on request.

If there's anything breedable you need, feel free to shoot me a PM. smile.gif

If you mean breeding between scrolls, there is already a suggestion about this - which I do not support - and cannot find - but it doesn't include making buddies, which won't work as there is no direct communication between scrolls, only here on the forum. And I HOPE it stays that way.

There is also discussion of this leaking into this thread:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=177420

As for the egg stays with the owner of the female dragon - WHY ?

If you mean breeding between scrolls, there is already a suggestion about this

The older suggestion is here: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=139754 It has not been posted in for years and has therefore been closed, so this thread is allowed. However, I suggest anyone commenting here do go read at least the linked OP, as it was pretty fleshed out. And this idea definitely needs some fleshing out.

As for the egg stays with the owner of the female dragon - WHY ?

As the mother dragon would keep the egg, as any mother, unless two eggs are an outcome, it makes sense

I'm having mixed feeling on this. Sure it'd be nice to crossbreed to get pairings, but like olympe said, you can just as easily help by breeding upon request if the person is being nice.

And i'd hate to be that one person who has that CB Holly and have it open for requests just to have a long list of people asking to breed with it. And what if the scroll is hidden? How would we know if it really is available to breed?

I think the point of this is to make complicated lineage building easier. Say I have a 5th gen even gen yulebuck x black marrow, and another person has a similar 5th gen that would be the perfect mate. Rather than needing to each breed a new 5th gen for the other, we could just breed our 5th gens.

There would have to be a way to handle multiclutches caused by holiday breeding. Ideally each person would be able to keep one of the multiclutch.

I wouldn't mind this as long as the egg can still be transferred to the other individual's scroll.

I think breeding crossover should always make two eggs of the same species, that way both people have a reason to do it, to balance the ratios it could have halved chances.

Otherwise what's the point? Only the female owner would gain anything, the male owner would actually loose in this scenario, they loose a weekly breeding for nothing.

I'd never cross scroll breed my males!

Also, to people with the "drama-dragons" who said that they MIGHT get harassed over it, please consider a that cross scroll breeding 2gs would be almost pointless under most circumstances

Unless they want something from a holiday that you don't have or ALSO have a "drama dragon" there would be very little reason for them to harass you for cross-scroll breeding.

And people scummy enough to harass you after the first "no" would harass you regardless of whether or not it's implemented or not, they would just be harassing you for in-scroll breeding.

I have nothing against "rich" players but an idea should not be shot down just because the 1% of the playerbase lucky enough to have such rare dragons MIGHT get more attention then before.

Edited by blockEdragon

In the other thread, you'd have to opt in to allow this, so harassing wouldn't work for those who chose not to join in.

Maybe what would need to happen (for that) would be a fakebook-like thing - as in a friend request that can be declined ir ignored. You could post a breed request to another scroll; the scroll owner could be set to reject all such requests (in which case your request would bounce back) or the owner could accept, reject or ignore. If they ignored a request, the person who sent that request couldn't send another to the same scroll - the ignored one would effectively act as a block - end of harassing.

Requests for inscroll breeding happen here on forum, so need not be a part of the stud thing. And when you get harassed here, you can just block messages from that player. And when they email you instead, you can block their email as well (been there, done that mad.gif)

As the mother dragon would keep the egg, as any mother, unless two eggs are an outcome, it makes sense

So no-one who owned a male dragon would benefit from this. That's not OK at all. (and BTW there are a lot of single fathers in this world, even of newborns.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm very much in favor of cross-scroll breeding. As for the reasons, the original thread explained them pretty well.

And as mentioned before me, an option to "Allow breeding requests from other scrolls" could be in the settings.

Or to make it even less prone to abuse, each user could have a whitelist (rather than blacklist) for requests. So your breeding requests pages wouldn't get super cluttered with random requests, as you'd be receiving them only from the people you added to the list manually.

As for who would keep the egg, I'm against the owner of the female keeping it. I feel a better approach would be a 50/50 chance to go to either of the scrolls, unless both users agreed it to go to a particular one (there would be an option when submitting/accepting the request). Or 1 for each user if it were a multi-clutch.

Here's how I'm imagining this mechanic working:

First of all there'd be two options in the settings:

- Allow breeding requests from other scrolls

- Allow breeding requests only from whitelisted scrolls

It'd go like this:

1. User A (Accepter) has a dragon that User R (Requester) wants.

2. Accepter adds Requester to their breeding whitelist (or has "Allow breeding requests from other scrolls" enabled).

3. Requester sends a Breeding request to Accepter, and 'checks' an option saying they want to keep the offspring.

4. Accepter sees the request when they go to their request page (much like the active trades page). They click the request:

" Requester wants to breed their user posted image with your user posted image.

(images would link to respective lineages)

[x] I want to keep the offspring (optional)

[ ] I allow the offspring / extra eggs to be abandoned if my breeding partner doesn't want an egg.

[ACCEPT REQUEST] [DENY REQUEST]"

5a. If both users choose to keep the offspring, there's a 50/50% chance of it going to either scroll when they accept. And both users need a free space on their scroll to complete the breeding (just like you can't complete a 2:1 trade with someone who is scrollocked).

5b. If Requester did not choose to keep the offspring, and the Accepter did, only the Accepter needs a free space on scroll to complete the breeding.

5c. If Requester chose to keep the offspring, and the Accepter did not, the breeding can only be completed once the Requester has available space on their scroll.

5d. If neither of the users choose to keep the offspring (kindness, politeness?), then it can either go to the AP (if allowed) or it goes to the person with a free space on the scroll that did not check the "AP" option.

6. If Accepter did not have breeding requests enabled in the settings, nor whitelisted the user, the Requester would get an error saying "This user isn't currently accepting breeding requests" and the Accepter would remain undisturbed.

Edited by Nayelianne

I think it is kind of pointless to have the AP option. Chances are, the breeding is happening because at least one of the participants wants an egg from the pairing. If they just really want to breed that particular pair for the AP, someone can abandon the egg.

THREE options.

Do not allow breeding requests from other scrolls.

That has to be in there. I realise you are assuming that it is - but it needs to be spelt out.

Like PF13, I see no point to the AP option.

I support this, but only if the outcomes are 2 eggs (one goes to each scroll) or refusal/no egg. I see no need for complicated check boxes/negotiations. Either you both get an egg or no egg is produced. The whole mechanic is unfair otherwise. But cross-scroll lineages would be really fun. There definitely does need to be an opt-in/opt out setting, though, and timeouts for requests would come in handy (so a request to an inactive user doesn't just clog the system forever).

I would like a system like this:

Anna wants an egg from her Antarean dragon and Bob's Brimstone dragon.

She goes to her Antarean's actions page and clicks "generate telebreeding link".

The next page has a menu titled "if the breeding is successful" with the following options:

- keep the egg

- send the egg to the mate's scroll

- abandon the egg

Anna selects the 1st option and clicks a button "generate link". A link is shown.

Anna sends a PM to Bob: "Hey, I would really like to get an egg from this Antarean and your cool Brimstone. Here's a telebreeding link."

(Ideally they have talked about it before so she knows the Brimstone is not on cooldown...)

Bob clicks the link and sees Anna's Antarean and the information that the egg will go to her scroll, plus a "breed to your dragon..." link.

Bob clicks the breed link. He gets a mate list as if the Antarean was on his own scroll, and selects his Brimstone.

The dragons are not bred together yet, because Anna has to confirm the breeding first.

Anna refreshes the telebreeding link and sees that Bob has "offered" his Brimstone for breeding. Next to it is a link "breed now".

(The link is inactive if the scroll to which the egg should go does not have room for an egg.)

Anna clicks "breed now".

Success! The egg goes to her scroll.

Anna writes a PM "thank you very much, I'll catch some Olives for you in return!" to Bob.

tl;dr:

Make it like 2-way teleports. "Requester" puts their own dragon in a link, "Accepter" adds their dragon, "Requester" accepts (or declines) the breeding.

Communication needs to happen.

I would like this way because it doesn't need a whitelist or buddy system. It's more like trading, and it can't get more annoying than trade requests, so if the "please do not PM me about eggs from my CB Prize" in signatures works, "please do not PM me about telebreeding" should work, too.

Addtional fun possibility:

Someone who is bored and has a cool dragon with no mate could put a telebreeding link on the forum, select "send the egg to the mate's scroll", and choose the nicest mate someone offers.

Another option that will be even more work for TJ:

Include more complicated code so that the person who gets the egg can offer an egg or hatchling to send to the other person if the "telebreeding" actually results in an egg.

(In the above example, Anna could include an Olive egg when she generates the telebreeding link.)

THREE options.

Do not allow breeding requests from other scrolls.

That has to be in there. I realise you are assuming that it is - but it needs to be spelt out.

Like PF13, I see no point to the AP option.

Nah, the two are enough. Just keep your whitelist empty and choose the option with the whitelisted scrolls, and you're set. xd.png At least if you merely consider the logical aspects. But, of course, life isn't black and white, and you might want to be able to switch from accepting requests from white-listed fellow players on some days and not on others. Like for Holiday IOUs / breeding promises you made so people have a chance to remind you on-site.

I agree that having a 'not accepting breeding requests' option would be necessary, if only to be turned on temporarily during things like holidays.

Should this be a BSA? Part of Teleport, perhaps?

I guess it depends on what your view of different scrolls is; if you think they're just areas or lairs in the same world, then it makes sense that a teleportation is necessary for eggs or hatchlings, which would get lost, but not for adults, who can easily fly around and find their own mate. But if you think of different scrolls as different dimensions, and a Magi is opening a wormhole between the two, then that Magi would still be needed to transfer adults as much as eggs or hatchlings.

But that's just from a lore perspective.

Still, I like the idea of it being like a trade; however, I also like the idea of being able to interact directly scroll-to-scroll.

I definitely think a "not accepting breeding requests" *needs* to be an option. There is every chance that I might have some people whitelisted, but need to turn "off" breeding requests altogether for a little while (during holidays, if I know I won't be online, etc). PLEASE, we need a "no requests" option.

I'm only in support of this idea if there is a "no requests" option.

I definitely think a "not accepting breeding requests" *needs* to be an option. There is every chance that I might have some people whitelisted, but need to turn "off" breeding requests altogether for a little while (during holidays, if I know I won't be online, etc). PLEASE, we need a "no requests" option.

I'm only in support of this idea if there is a "no requests" option.

Moi aussi smile.gif

Question for everybody who wants a "not accepting breeding requests" option:

Would that still be necessary if the system was more like the one I suggested (5 posts before this)?

My post probably looks too long or too weird to read, so in short, it's the idea that a "breeding request" is not the other person clicking something on your scroll/dragon, instead they create a link from their own dragon and send it to you by PM or other ways.

The technical and "social" setting would be exactly like trading:

Right now, people can always PM you a two-way teleport with their eggs/hatchlings and ask if you would trade one of your eggs/hatchlings for that thing in their teleport.

Most people don't randomly do that because why should they expect you to trade something if you haven't actively communicated you're willing to trade it?

No need for a "not accepting trade requests" option in your scroll settings.

I imagine it would be the same for what I called "telebreeding" links. Especially since the same forum rules would apply: don't harass people.

Of course if we want a system that allows for breeding between scrolls without any (other) communication between the players, then my suggestion wouldn't work. But again, it's already exactly like that with trading. You can't trade with anybody without getting the teleport from some place (forums, PM, external website).

... Oops, I guess this post wasn't really short, either. blink.gif I hope it makes sense though?

Question for everybody who wants a "not accepting breeding requests" option:

Would that still be necessary if the system was more like the one I suggested (5 posts before this)?

My post probably looks too long or too weird to read, so in short, it's the idea that a "breeding request" is not the other person clicking something on your scroll/dragon, instead they create a link from their own dragon and send it to you by PM or other ways.

The technical and "social" setting would be exactly like trading:

Right now, people can always PM you a two-way teleport with their eggs/hatchlings and ask if you would trade one of your eggs/hatchlings for that thing in their teleport.

Most people don't randomly do that because why should they expect you to trade something if you haven't actively communicated you're willing to trade it?

No need for a "not accepting trade requests" option in your scroll settings.

I imagine it would be the same for what I called "telebreeding" links. Especially since the same forum rules would apply: don't harass people.

Of course if we want a system that allows for breeding between scrolls without any (other) communication between the players, then my suggestion wouldn't work. But again, it's already exactly like that with trading. You can't trade with anybody without getting the teleport from some place (forums, PM, external website).

... Oops, I guess this post wasn't really short, either. blink.gif I hope it makes sense though?

The way I feel at this moment is that I would not wish to accept requests. So I would be being sent stuff from other users that I don't want, that is not relevant to me, and have to delete (I presume). I am bombarded with enough spam emails - I don't want to have to effectively have an on scroll spam collection as well. (I assume this would be a scroll to scroll messaging thing ? If not - that knocks out non forum users anyway. And within the forum - we could message each other in the ordinary way - "hey - would you breed fizzbiz with my Juniper ?")

If it would be by PM, by the way - I get so many PMs I don't want to add to that either.

I would not support a system where the only means of communication would be PMs, because that would freeze out all non-forum goers, and that's not fair. I also do not wish to be bombarded with random PMs by people who assume I'm willing to cross-breed. No, I would not feel better about that system.

Cross-user breeding sounds like a fun idea for sure, very useful for lineages as well. However, it would be even better if we could get to choose whether or not to receive requests from other players. Being able to turn this feature on or off would be the way to go. The communication method for cross-user breeding could be through a notification system with a default message such as: "Player x would like to breed their (dragon ID/name) with your (dragon ID/name). Will you accept?" In my mind, the text for this would be much more flavorful, but for the time being that's the sort of basic structure a request message should have.

Another possible issue would be who gets to keep the egg produced. It would be nice if players could come to a unanimous decision beforehand, but once the egg is bred there could be an option asking if you would like to keep the egg or allow the other player to have it. If the decision is not unanimous, what could be used is a coin toss/random selection system to decide. Another option is that if there is no decision made within an adequate time frame, the egg would be dropped to the AP. For Holiday multiclutches, each player will be able to keep an egg from the clutch. However, if both players wish to keep the same egg, the random chance/AP drop system can be implemented.

That's my little effort to flesh out how this suggestion could work.

IF this were ever to happen, surely the logical thing is for the player who asks to keep the egg - they were the one who wanted it enough to request it, after all; if the other player did, they could have asked !

IF this were ever to happen, surely the logical thing is for the player who asks to keep the egg - they were the one who wanted it enough to request it, after all; if the other player did, they could have asked !

Sometimes both players might want the egg? I think it's something that might happen - it's not that strange for both players to want an egg from the same lineage, maybe even at the same time. Unusual? Yes, but still possible. Maybe if some sort of disagreement comes up, the random selector could help see who a certain egg goes to in a fair way. It's just a nice extra feature to have as a back-up for a "worst-case scenario", if this were to ever be implemented.