Digital Decay

Add the hour of birth to an egg's info page

I originally intended to post this in the Solstice day/night suggestion thread, but I thought maybe this could come in handy for other dragons as well, so I decided to make this a new thread. Apologies if I should've posted this somewhere else.

As the title says, I'd like to suggest adding the hour of birth to the /view/ page of a dragon. For example, instead of the entry "Egg Laid on: Dec 14, 2015" in an egg's stats, it would now say "Egg Laid on: Dec 14, 2015; 2 AM" or something like this.

I came up with the idea because there are breeds like the Solstices, where the adult sprite depends on the hour an egg has been bred on, but we do currently not have a reliable system to determine the exact hour of birth for eggs in the AP. An egg that has 6 days XX hours left would always have its timer reset to 7 days due to the way the AP works, making it impossible to distinguish between eggs that have been laid 4 or 18 hours ago, respectively.

I feel like this might be a little less intrusive than changing an egg's description or even sprites, and since the current hour in "Cave Time" is always displayed at the top, it would not confuse people who live in a different time zone too much, I hope.

Good idea, support smile.gif

I guess we'll never get the exact time, due to ND experiments, but I can't see anything wrong with adding just the hour.

I am very, very on board with this idea for my own personal reasons. I'll talk about my thoughts on it.

So the pros of an idea such as this. There's quite a few. A born date would be great for breeds that experience change, depending on when they hatch. Great. We also have a more precise... ish time on when our eggs grow up/die. Great. We're already calling onto data that is already available. Really good. So it will be easy to simply change the code around to allow for a more precise figure! Not really that many more pros to the suggestion, though, unfortunately. At least not that I can think of for my own use.

There's a really big con to this. Both of these quotes tie together.

For example, instead of the entry "Egg Laid on: Dec 14, 2015" in an egg's stats, it would now say "Egg Laid on: Dec 14, 2015; 2 AM" or something like this. [...] the current hour in "Cave Time" is always displayed at the top, it would not confuse people who live in a different time zone too much, I hope.

There's a problem, Houston.

I use the Portal 2 Dark Theme for two reasons. One, it is a lot easier on my eyes to view. Two, Portal is my favorite, man. I've logged 115 hours into the game. Unlogged would bring me closer to 180. So when I saw the availability for a Portal theme that was easy on my eyes, I jumped on that boat faster than a flea jumping off a dog's back.

There is one very big problem with the theme, though; Cave Time is never displayed on the theme. Anywhere. So for those running the default theme, you're laughing. You're calling me crazy. But it's a problem consistent with all of the themes, so with this as a problem, it is major. Optional user functionality is affected, so giving one group of users something while disallowing the other group the feature is unfair and creates a schism.

Personally, I am not worried about Cave Time because I just happen to live in the Cave Time zone, so I know when it's 1 o'clock my time, it is 1 o'clock Cave Time. Other users are not as lucky as me and this is something to be considered if this goes in as an update.

The themes will have to be updated across the board to have Cave Time displayed. There is no solution short of this. It requires a bit of design work and tweaking of the themes (which might have a negative effect on the theme itself!) to add in Cave Time as a default for all themes across the board. Adding this in can either be very complex, or very simple. It depends on how the addition affects the theme's appearance.

Overall, the idea has not too many problems. But some might not like it. It also has a little bit of coding beyond changing what is displayed, so it might require effort.

Frankly I think that's more a problem with the themes than this idea. They should display cave time whether this happens or not.

I support this. Above and beyond Solstice and such, sometimes it's just fun to breed a dragon at some significant time. Like at 9 on the 9th of September. Or at the stroke of midnight on Halloween. Et cetera.

There is one very big problem with the theme, though; Cave Time is never displayed on the theme. Anywhere. So for those running the default theme, you're laughing. You're calling me crazy. But it's a problem consistent with all of the themes, so with this as a problem, it is major. Optional user functionality is affected, so giving one group of users something while disallowing the other group the  feature is unfair and creates a schism.

To be honest, this is the first time that someone has brought this to my attention [since I've only ever used the default theme].

I do think, though, that this is more an issue with the themes themselves. At least I cannot possibly come up with a good reason why one theme should display the small info bar on top of the page and another one should not.

And at any rate, I think that most people are aware of the fact that the time that counts for DC is EST and not their own timezone - I've been playing since '08 and have always lived 6 hours ahead of cave time, but this has never been a problem for me. At worst, you'd have to make the egg stat say "laid on the 42nd Octember, 3 PM EST", so there's no room for different interpretation, although some people might argue that this is a little too much information and makes the stats look cramped.

And also bear in mind that many users find the new default unusable. People like me rely on our action log to see when we bred!

Still, it wouldn't hurt you if you found the "egg laid on Dec 25th, 8 PM" with the implication that it's 8 PM cave time, would it?

Yes, it might confuse newer members who are not on the forum and happen to not use the default skin - but I'm sure they'll realize their error very quickly. And once they know how it works, they'll most likely appreciate the feature.

Full support. (For both "hour only" and the exact time down to the minute or second - after all, the data is already there somewhere and being used to calculate the "time left" anyway.)

I feel like this is a better solution than a change for just one dragon. I support this. We've asked for more specific timers/cooldowns in the past. I think it's useful information and it'd make sense to include for anything relevant. The action log is very nice but very limited in respects like this.

It's probably my OCD kicking in, but if we have a specific time for when the egg was laid, shouldn't we have specific times for when they hatch and grow up, too? (And, much wishful thinking, for when they WILL grow up and when they CAN breed...)

Otherwise, perhaps just add an extra line of text on the pages of those few breeds affected by time of laying, something really simple like "This egg was laid during the morning / day / evening / night" underneath the breed's description text. Goes away upon adulthood.

It's probably my OCD kicking in, but if we have a specific time for when the egg was laid, shouldn't we have specific times for when they hatch and grow up, too? (And, much wishful thinking, for when they WILL grow up and when they CAN breed...)

Otherwise, perhaps just add an extra line of text on the pages of those few breeds affected by time of laying, something really simple like "This egg was laid during the morning / day / evening / night" underneath the breed's description text. Goes away upon adulthood.

Don't think so. Egg laying time can be critical - this would solve the solstice issue, for instance. But who cares exactly when they hatch/grow up?

Totali support this idea, i would really apprecciate to know exactly when an egg was laid.

Solstices, sunset/Sunrise and day /night glory need this, but also the sick green dragon that is forbbiden to talk about in this forum.

Totali support this idea, i would really apprecciate to know exactly when an egg was laid.

Solstices, sunset/Sunrise and day /night glory need this, but also the sick green dragon that is forbbiden to talk about in this forum.

Sunset/sunrise doesn't. The only issue there is when you choose to hatch it.

Sunset/sunrise doesn't. The only issue there is when you choose to hatch it.

Very true. However, it is much easier to hatch a Sunset dragon from an egg that was bred during Sunset hours than from one bred at some other time. So, while not really necessary for Sunrise/Sunset, it would still be helpful to know.

At any rate, it would be a very useful feature to have, and I support it unless there are serious negatives that I haven't thought of.

Edited by purplehaze

Dropping in to say I support this. Would help immensely with the Solstice Issue without demanding anything horribly complex. I'd be totally fine with it just showing the hour.

Yes, of course i support this. It was me who started the suggestion for Solstices. wink.gif And there really doesn't exist another thread with this idea?

I would be so happy if we can see the hour when the egg was laid.

Full support.

It would be nice o see this thing implemented before Christmas 2015 but I know it is really a Dream. I hope it will be in site before Christmas 2016

Full support. This would be deeply helpful for many reasons.

As for the themes/timezone thing, I don't think that's a massive issue--any user can find out when cave time is relatively simply. Though adding the cave-time to other themes would honestly just be a good move in general, IMO. But that's neither here nor there.

I would find this very, very useful.

I missed Solstice breeding last year, so I had no idea about the differently colored wings. This would be nice to have so that I could avoid the guessing game with which wing color I may end up with. Full support for either the hour or the full count (hh:mm:ss).

I am in support of this as a general site wide thing and getting the themes fixed cause I use the portal 2 theme as well cause I can actually look at it without my eyes falling out of my head after a half hour lol

Edited by beautifuldragon5000

Support! While I can check the bred time in the actions log, this would be helpful for when I breed a lot--especially during holidays.

Full support on this smile.gif An easy solution to the Solstice issue this year, as well as solving any similar issues that exist or may exist in the future.

To be honest, this is the first time that someone has brought this to my attention [since I've only ever used the default theme].

I do think, though, that this is more an issue with the themes themselves. At least I cannot possibly come up with a good reason why one theme should display the small info bar on top of the page and another one should not.

That isn't surprising at all. A lot of people have no issues with default, and stick to it. Or they have no idea other themes exist. So it isn't a fault with you. I just wanted to make sure it was brought up as a consideration and it is the fault of the themes. But I wasn't around after Dragon Cave updated, so the themes were probably created before the site was updated, which would make the most sense. So the themes were not built around an info bar and what-have-it. This is my most reasonable explanation.

And at any rate, I think that most people are aware of the fact that the time that counts for DC is EST and not their own timezone - I've been playing since '08 and have always lived 6 hours ahead of cave time, but this has never been a problem for me. At worst, you'd have to make the egg stat say "laid on the 42nd Octember, 3 PM EST", so there's no room for different interpretation, although some people might argue that this is a little too much information and makes the stats look cramped.

It is possible to not know when Cave Time is. However, this argument is more alone the lines of forgetting or feeling that knowing when the time was is irrelevant. I still think the best solution would be to globally update the themes rather than add "EST" to the end. It does seem a little bit cramped and it seems weird. I can't place my finger on it.

On an unrelated note, having a more specific time than just the hour, though, would be really neat. I really wanted to bring this up in my earlier post, but I didn't know how to address or spin it into something positive.

I think, it`s a very good idea) Some days ago I thought about this too) It`ll be very comfortable to breed some rare dragons)

FULLEST support for this for all the reasons other people have mentioned! Also updating all the themes with the cave time can only help too! biggrin.gif <3