Paradisiske

pray mantids, assassin bugs, and ambush bugs

so what do people think of these guys? i personally have 3 female adult chinese mantids and one wheel bug which is a type of assassin bugs

discuss what you like about them, whether you even like them, discuss what you dont like about them, discuss if you just dont like them at all, discuss what you know about them, dont know about them and would like to know about them. discuss whether you had or have them as pets or would like to have them as pets

The praying mantis is my favourite insect, and has been since I was a child. They're fascinating little creatures (that's probably why I like them so much).

I've never really thought of keeping one as a pet, but I'm sure they're great. If I could keep one as a pet, however, I'd choose the orchid mantis since it's my favourite. smile.gif

The praying mantis is my favourite insect, and has been since I was a child. They're fascinating little creatures (that's probably why I like them so much).

I've never really thought of keeping one as a pet, but I'm sure they're great. If I could keep one as a pet, however, I'd choose the orchid mantis since it's my favourite. smile.gif

the orchids are really pretty along with the devil flower and indian flower. i'd recommend getting the chinese mantis as a starter if you live in the u.s as you can buy them online from a bunch of stores and garden centers.

I have cared for several mantises over the years. I'm currently raising two young grass mantises collected from the garden. I enjoy trying to figure out just how intelligent they are - I know one I raised years back learnt to recognise at least my approaching her enclosure as a sign that she was likely getting an insect through one specific corner.

I have cared for several mantises over the years. I'm currently raising two young grass mantises collected from the garden. I enjoy trying to figure out just how intelligent they are - I know one I raised years back learnt to recognise at least my approaching her enclosure as a sign that she was likely getting an insect through one specific corner.

oooo grass mantids i havent had the pleasure of caring for one of those. how big do the adults get?

The exact species I raise, Archimantis latistyla, can reach up to 110 mm in length in a female's case. Males are a bit smaller. Both are aggressive insects, and I can say from experience mantis arms that size are not something you want targeting your finger XD

The exact species I raise, Archimantis latistyla, can reach up to 110 mm in length in a female's case. Males are a bit smaller. Both are aggressive insects, and I can say from experience mantis arms that size are not something you want targeting your finger xd.png

oh i know sometimes my chinese ones will latch onto my finger and lean their heads down trying to nibble on my skin. it sure isnt fun but at least they dont do any lasting damage.

have you had any luck breeding them or raising the nymphs?

I think praying mantises are structurally amazing, but I have this terrible fear of insects in general. They're lovely to see from afar. What little I do know about mantises is that after mating, the female beheads and eats the male.

I think praying mantises are structurally amazing, but I have this terrible fear of insects in general. They're lovely to see from afar. What little I do know about mantises is that after mating, the female beheads and eats the male.

actually that only happens in captivity! people arent really sure as to why but for some reason sexual cannibalism in pray mantids is a more common occurrence when the mantids are kept in captivity and it rarely happens when the mantids are out in the wild reproducing.

edit and yeah they are structurally amazing, they are one of the coolest insect predators out there imo

Edited by CellyBean

actually that only happens in captivity! people arent really sure as to why but for some reason sexual cannibalism in pray mantids is a more common occurrence when the mantids are kept in captivity and it rarely happens when the mantids are out in the wild reproducing.

edit and yeah they are structurally amazing, they are one of the coolest insect predators out there imo

I had now idea! It's good to learn something new every day. This is mere speculation, but this sort of cannibalism might arise because of stress related to captivity. I know that when certain animals, especially those meant to be in the wild, it is quite common for out of place behaviors to occur when placed in unnatural situations.

When looking up these lovely insects I also managed to find this adorable picture:

user posted image

I had now idea! It's good to learn something new every day. This is mere speculation, but this sort of cannibalism might arise because of stress related to captivity. I know that when certain animals, especially those meant to be in the wild, it is quite common for out of place behaviors to occur when placed in unnatural situations.

When looking up these lovely insects I also managed to find this adorable picture:

user posted image

oh my gosh that is adorable theres also a gif floating around online of a little mantis chasing a laser beam much like a cat would!

oh my gosh that is adorable theres also a gif floating around online of a little mantis chasing a laser beam much like a cat would!

I actually found it:

user posted image

It's kind of sweet biggrin.gif definitely reminds me of my cats

I actually found it:

user posted image

It's kind of sweet biggrin.gif definitely reminds me of my cats

they really are cool critters. even if you rather not have one as a pet they still are a hoot to watch in the wild along with the assassins and ambush bugs

oh i know sometimes my chinese ones will latch onto my finger and lean their heads down trying to nibble on my skin. it sure isnt fun but at least they dont do any lasting damage.

have you had any luck breeding them or raising the nymphs?

I've had my big girls draw blood.

I haven't risked breeding them yet, but I have raised nymphs before. It is so hard getting them past the first few instars, but then they're suddenly really easy to raise.

actually that only happens in captivity!

Cannibalism is a well-known occurrence among wild mantises, so it's not limited only to captive insects.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

I've had my big girls draw blood.

I haven't risked breeding them yet, but I have raised nymphs before. It is so hard getting them past the first few instars, but then they're suddenly really easy to raise.

Cannibalism is a well-known occurrence among wild mantises, so it's not limited only to captive insects.

yeah they die so easily at the l1, l2 and l3 stages. they can drown in a drop of water or something goes wrong with their molting process and they die from internal damage.

and really? most of the websites, forums and documentaries i looked at said that sexual cannibalism was a rare occurrence with wild mantids and mainly just happened with the captive ones

not to mention the little babbies jump around like leafhoppers so taking them out of an enclosure for whatever reason is a touch nerve wracking :'D

I certainly don't deny that it happens more often among captive individuals. I'm just pointing out it's not limited to them.

Fun fact for those who don't know - after the male mantis has been beheaded, he can still mate with the female until the job is done. An insect's 'brain' (or bunch of glorified neurons, your pick) runs equivalent to our spinal cord, so a decapitation isn't usually a direct cause of death.

i always found it fascinating that after a mantis is beheaded the body will still run around and do mantis things

and even without breeding the females will still lay eggs although nonfertile ones.

just had my assassin bug eggs hatch! have 4 babies so far they're so tiny! they can easily fit on a toothpick no problem

If we're discussing mantids...

user posted image

Devil's Flower Mantis. I absolutely love these things (but could never set up the proper care for them)

They're super cool bugs! I would rather have a longer-lived pet, but as far as insects go, I like a lot of them and mantids are pretty high on my list. Whenever I find wild ones, I can't resist the urge to pick them up... though I have had one claw the webbing between my thumb and hand doing that, which is painful x_x

I have never had one as a pet(in fact, never realized people kept them as such), but I do like watching mantids. Especially as an avid gardener, having them around is always a good thing. It is also really fun to see the itty bitty baby mantids around, there are a lot out at our hobby farm.

Edited by Nectaris

If we're discussing mantids...

user posted image

Devil's Flower Mantis. I absolutely love these things (but could never set up the proper care for them)

the devils flower and the orchid mantids are some of my favourites! i really like the peacock mantis too

@TCA yeah i cant help picking up wild ones too and their egg cases. carolinas are pretty rare where i live so whenever i find an eggcase of one i always make sure to take it inside so that it doesnt get frozen too badly or have parasites inside it

@Nectaris the babies are super cute right! and they are really good for gardens eating aphids and the like including spiders (which i hate)

Today I saw a great big round shiny bug outside! smile.gif Very pretty and very shiny...

oooo did you manage to take any pictures of it?

They're super cool bugs! I would rather have a longer-lived pet, but as far as insects go, I like a lot of them and mantids are pretty high on my list. Whenever I find wild ones, I can't resist the urge to pick them up... though I have had one claw the webbing between my thumb and hand doing that, which is painful x_x

Some bugs can actually live for a very long time. While they aren't insects, some female tarantulas can get 20+ years on them, and I know of a few millipede species that get to at least 10 years.

Imagine having a tarantula that's older than you are!

Sadly a lot of them don't like as long as i'd like them to (or have larval stages that take up the majority of their life) so it's harder.