Shokomon

ANSWERED:Update the BSA Filter By Option

There is an issue I (and others) noticed when I use the filter.

On the Dragons page, in the left hand corner, right under the badges, there is the Filter By Dropdown menu. If you switch the "Available for BSA" option, you get a selection of dragons that look something like this:

user posted image

You see a mix of Pink, Red, Green, Magi, Shallow Water, Purple, Vampire, Bolt and Aeon Dragons, who have the BSAs, Influence, Earthquake, Teleport, Splash, Fertility, Bite, Stun, and Precognition respectively.

The problem is that there are more dragons with BSAs not seen on the list. A good couple more. The Trios (Magmas, Ice, & Thunders) with Summon, the Soulpeaces with Expunge, the Aegis with Enrage/Pacify, the Celestials with Corporealize, and the Whites with the new Ward BSA are all absent from the list.

Now I only have 885 dragons (lol, only), but there are people with well over a thousand dragons. Searching for all the dragons just get the ones you want without a complicated naming or order system is a hassle.

So, I suggest for the BSA Filter to be updated with the missing dragons, and hopefully updated when we get new ones. So, we all have all the BSA dragons in one place, and one less thing to search through hundreds of dragons for.

---

Main Suggestion:

1) Update the "Available for BSA" Filter with the missing BSA Dragons, and update the filter when we get new ones.

Alternate Update Options for the BSA Filter:

Alternative Option 1: A Checklist that Will Allow you to Set What BSA Dragons Will Show Up on the Filter

{snip}

Maybe an in between compromise would be a checklist to show which BSAs you want to show? I'd only turn on reds, pinks, magis and purples, myself.

{snip}

- Maybe we could have something on the Account page that allows you to choose what BSA shows up on the "Available for BSA" Filter.

Why not have a "choose"  filter so that it only shows the ones we want to see ?

If we make it a checklist, couldn't we set it up so the drop down leads to the checklist and you tell it what you want?  This time I'm looking for...Incubate and Influence.   Only reds and pinks show, next time your looking for something else....

{snip}

That would be ideal.

A general checklist under Account Settings would be almost equally fine, though. There you could check the breeds you generally want to see in your filtered BSA list.

Then the dropdown menu on the scroll could get "Available for BSA (filtered)" additionally to "Available for BSA" - the first would lead to the restricted list, the latter to the list of all BSA dragons (if you're looking for a BSA you don't use during your standard play).

Personally, I really only want pinks, purples and reds in my restricted list (from the currently available BSAs), because these are the ones I use all the time. The rest just distracts and leads to needless scrolling (I use the Teleports page for magis).

-- 1A: Being Able to Adjust the Order of the BSA Dragons Along with which Dragons Show

If we do get customization of which breeds appear in the BSA filter, I hope we could also customize the order in which they appear. 

{snip}

So it would be great if, with the customization, there was a way to say "Influences first, incubates second, etc etc"  If you like the way the scroll sort sorts your BSAs you wouldn't have to use it, but I bet there are plenty who would appreciate that feature.

To me, the way to handle it would be a simple "what order do you want the BSA dragons you chose to display?" with the ability to reorder the entire groupings of each BSA dragon.  You would get a representative dragon of each BSA type and you reorder them.  The site would then handle clumping the dragons of the different breeds and putting them where you want them automatically. {snip}

Alternative Option 2: Grouping BSAs Under Different Option Choices on the Dropdown Menu

That actually might be a good idea. What about groups? These 4 groups are rough ideas, and will be added to as each new BSA is implemented if they are made the final ones. Basic BSAs are the ones even beginners use. Death BSAs kill/delete a dragon or have the potential to. Advanced BSAs are ones more advanced players use more than a basic player. Cosmetic BSAs only affect sprites/badges/similar and have no function beyond that.

Group 1: Basic BSAs; Magi, Red, Pink, Purple

Group 2: Deadly BSAs; Soulpeace, Green, Vampire

Group 3: Advanced BSAs; Celestial, Bolt

Group 4: Cosmetic BSAs; Aegis, Shallow Water

I kinda like splitting up the BSAs, although I'm unsure about having so many groups

I would go with:

Group 1: Basic BSAs; Magi, Red, Pink, Purple, Stun, Trios

Group 3: Cosmetic BSAs; Aegis, Shallow Water, Celestial

(TJ's former opinions aside, I personally think it's time to add trios to the BSA filter. Let's make DC user friendly. All these BSAs also need to be in the Help section, even the "joke" and "secret" ones.)

{snip}

Maybe something like this:

"Available for BSA - Basic": Fertility, Incubate, Influence, Teleport

"Available for BSA - Advanced": Bite, Earthquake, Stun, Summon

"Available for BSA - Limited": Corporealize, Enrage/Pacify, Expunge, Splash

- Where Basic BSAs are BSAs used fairly often or fairly easily

- Where Advanced BSAs are BSAs with high risk or used under special circumstances

- Where Limited BSAs are BSAs with fairly low and specific usage, that changes the appearance of the scroll or dragons, or are "for fun/joke" BSAs

Alternative Option 3: Being Able to Adjust the Order of Which BSA's Show Up in the Filter.

{snip}

What I would like for this, though, is to put both stunning breeds together (in breed sort, at least) - or sort BSAs by their name. (Bite, Corporealize, Earthquake, Enrage/Pacify, Expunge, Fertility, Incubate, Influence, Splash, Summon, Teleport. Did I miss any?)

To me, the way to handle it would be a simple "what order do you want the BSA dragons you chose to display?" with the ability to reorder the entire groupings of each BSA dragon.  You would get a representative dragon of each BSA type and you reorder them.  The site would then handle clumping the dragons of the different breeds and putting them where you want them automatically.

It just seems like a natural addition to the ability to choose which dragons show up in the BSA sort to me.  Or maybe even a replacement.  What does it matter if shallow waters show up in the BSA sort if you have them shoved to the back on page 2?

Alternative Option 4: Removing Non-useful BSA's from The Filter Or Removing BSA's after their Main Function is Fulfilled

(As opposed to adding more.)

If every last dragon with a bsa of any sort is included in the scroll bsa sort there needs to be some additional filter.  I'm on my second page (250 dragons per page) now of bsa dragons and I wish the goldfish and greens were off the list.  If all the  trios, celestial and soulpeace get added in there it's just going to be a big mess with larger scrolls.

{snip}

Considering how often you need various BSAs, I'd even go so far as to not show Corporealize (you need to go to that dragon's action page anyway), Earthquake (how many people still use this?), Enrage/Pacify (those shouldn't be too hard to find, nor should there be too many of those), Expunge and Summon. Splash I'm not exactly sure about. Everyone who wants the badge needs to use it 100 times, so maybe Splash should be shown as long as there's no Magikarp badge on the player's scroll?

{snip}

Actually I'd rather shorten the list of what shows up: Pinks, Purples, Reds, are necessary.  Earthquake should be taken out, and possibly Bite.   On the fence on Shallow Waters, I have my badge, but I like seeing them in there because it reminds me to use them and the silly joke makes me smile.

I wouldn't mind trios being added to the list, especially to the "main" section if the list is divided, as long as they stop appearing after the third successful summon (since after you have your third GoN, summon becomes worthless).  Having all your trios pop into the same list as your incubates and influences would be a nice reminder that you can summon again.  As it is, I often forget about it.

Edit (5/21/17): The White have a BSA now, and Aeons were added to the list!

Edited by Shokomon

I think TJ wanted Summon to stay a "secret."

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=9256911

I can't see the need for Enrage/Pacify or Corporealise, as you only need to use them when you want to use that particular dragon - as in you know you want to use that dragon for something, rather than you are looking for a dragon because you need to use the BSA.. But I agree with you about Bolts. I'm on the fence about Expunge, as you'd so VERY rarely want it.

And I speak as one with over 5000 dragons - and it's really not a problem.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I agree with adding Corporealize/Celestials to the list. You cannot do most things with a Celestial unless the thing is corporeal. I agree with fuzzbucket on the Aegis bit though - their BSA only changes their sprite.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

Yah, I don't see a reason to add any of the dragons you mentioned to the list, either, except for Bolts--and I'm guessing they simply haven't been added yet due to being new rather than being intentionally left out.

Trios: Why bother showing 34083498 Trios when you use it from one dragon and then, poof, all of them are suddenly on cooldown?

Aegis / Celestials: Only works on themselves, so if you want to use it, just find the dragon you want to use it for.

I guess you can make a point for expunge somewhat, but it's used so darn rarely that it feels like it'd just be a waste of space. Making zombies is so hard as-is, not many people ever have cause to remove them. On a related note, I kind of wish shallow waters would get kicked off the list once you get the splash badge, as I really have no need to see a few dozen goldfish every time I'm looking to use a functional BSA.

Maybe an in between compromise would be a checklist to show which BSAs you want to show? I'd only turn on reds, pinks, magis and purples, myself.

That actually might be a good idea. What about groups? These 4 groups are rough ideas, and will be added to as each new BSA is implemented if they are made the final ones. Basic BSAs are the ones even beginners use. Death BSAs kill/delete a dragon or have the potential to. Advanced BSAs are ones more advanced players use more than a basic player. Cosmetic BSAs only affect sprites/badges/similar and have no function beyond that.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

I kinda like splitting up the BSAs, although I'm unsure about having so many groups

I would go with:

Group 1: Basic BSAs; Magi, Red, Pink, Purple, Stun, Trios

Group 3: Cosmetic BSAs; Aegis, Shallow Water, Celestial

(TJ's former opinions aside, I personally think it's time to add trios to the BSA filter. Let's make DC user friendly. All these BSAs also need to be in the Help section, even the "joke" and "secret" ones.)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Aegis / Celestials: Only works on themselves, so if you want to use it, just find the dragon you want to use it for.

Shallow waters show up in the list, and their "splash" BSA is even more personal. Once you have the badge, it is useless, yet clogs up the list. Personally I would almost rather have shallow waters taken OFF the list because of that reason.

Well, for Aegis and Celestials, there isn't a better system for searching through your dragons to get the dragon you want.

You could sort by breed, but there still 24 dragons in between you and the Celestials and a couple more until the Aegis (as they are label by Christmas and not Aegis).

Celestials BSA use puts (to make the dragon breedable and accessible to other actions) in the same realm as the Bite BSA for Vampires, which are on the list and have a cool-down time that's only a day longer. So, I don't see why not they can't be on this list. They are not merely a stylistic change.

Aegis and Soulpeaces are more questionable, but as for usefulness of BSA, the Shallow Waters are on the list, and their BSA "Splash" has only one known use and that's to give you a Magikarp badge, a purely fun thing to do. Aegis' style change can effect lineages and Soulpeaces can remove zombies (which, while rarely used, does effect gameplay.) So, they could be on the list as well.

As for Trios, I can see why it's an issue if you have a hundred and one of them, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't make someone else's life easier to have them pop up on the BSA list. I don't have all my summons yet, and it's annoying scrolling down to find where I put my trios.

- But, if TJ wanted them having a BSA to be secret, then they can stay off.

@Dusky Flareon: That's an option, too. And it would keep more used BSA dragons from being overwhelmed by other BSA dragons. I wouldn't call Expunge deadly, though. I think it would go under "Advanced" better.

I think ALL BSA Dragons should be on there, personally. That's what the Filter By: is for! To Filter! "Available for BSA" should include all BSAs, silly or secret aside. Convenience or inconvenience aside.

If every last dragon with a bsa of any sort is included in the scroll bsa sort there needs to be some additional filter. I'm on my second page (250 dragons per page) now of bsa dragons and I wish the goldfish and greens were off the list. If all the trios, celestial and soulpeace get added in there it's just going to be a big mess with larger scrolls.

I run an undead free scoll so I didn't even realize the vampires were in there too until I read this thread. Don't make me regret making a soulpeace linage for fun.

Though now that I think about it, magi dragons are really double listed. They show up in available bsa sort and active transfer page. I always wondered why everything else got lumped together instead of having an influence page, incubate page, etc.

Well, for Aegis and Celestials, there isn't a better system for searching through your dragons to get the dragon you want.

You could sort by breed, but there still 24 dragons in between you and the Celestials and a couple more until the Aegis (as they are label by Christmas and not Aegis).

Celestials BSA use puts (to make the dragon breedable and accessible to other actions) in the same realm as the Bite BSA for Vampires, which are on the list and have a cool-down time that's only a day longer. So, I don't see why not they can't be on this list. They are not merely a stylistic change.

Aegis and Soulpeaces are more questionable, but as for usefulness of BSA, the Shallow Waters are on the list, and their BSA "Splash" has only one known use and that's to give you a Magikarp badge, a purely fun thing to do. Aegis' style change can effect lineages and Soulpeaces can remove zombies (which, while rarely used, does effect gameplay.) So, they could be on the list as well.

As for Trios, I can see why it's an issue if you have a hundred and one of them, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't make someone else's life easier to have them pop up on the BSA list. I don't have all my summons yet, and it's annoying scrolling down to find where I put my trios.

- But, if TJ wanted them having a BSA to be secret, then they can stay off.

@Dusky Flareon: That's an option, too. And it would keep more used BSA dragons from being overwhelmed by other BSA dragons. I wouldn't call Expunge deadly, though. I think it would go under "Advanced" better.

If you want to breed a Celestial (the only reason for using its BSA) you'd know which one you want to use, surely ? so why not just find it by name. If you don't KNOW already you'd have to check every last one to see if iot was the one you meant anyway, so....

If you want to breed a Celestial (the only reason for using its BSA) you'd know which one you want to use, surely ? so why not just find it by name. If you don't KNOW already you'd have to check every last one to see if iot was the one you meant anyway, so....

Not necessarily. The cool down for Celestials is 30 days. And filter is "Available for BSA," and not just "BSA Dragons."

So if you had bred your Celestials and forgot which one, the filter will let you know which one you have already used the BSA for already. Of course, you could use the action log too, but what's wrong with having another place for confirmation?

Besides searching by name does not exclude searching by BSA. They are on different drop menus. Use both at the same time, and you will have a much shorter and alphabetical list to find your dragon in.

Anyway, your logic can be extended to the Vampire Dragons. If you know which Vampire you want to use when you want to bite an egg to make a new vampire, you could just look for that Vampire. And if you don't, you could search by breed or name, checking each dragon. However, the Vampires still show up on the BSA list.

I don't know who cares which vamp bites what....

I don't know who cares which vamp bites what....

I don't care which Celestial I breed. Most of mine are cb or are lineaged with specific mates. I don't need to spend time looking around for a mate. And none of them have names. If I'm going to breed my Celestials, I'm probably going to breed them all or at least all the cbs.

I like the idea of including them under a "cosmetic BSA" filter.

Well, I have a pattern for which vamp I use for my egg biting, particular because one of my dragons tends to be more successful at biting and not killing eggs than the others. So, I do care which Vampire I'm using.

Just because it's not common that people care about which vampire they use, that doesn't mean that there aren't people at all in the 100's of Dragon Cave users that do care about which Vampire they use. Unless, you can somehow vouch for everyone on DC.

Besides, that's not the point. The point is that a Dragon with a BSA of similar use (Vampires) to Celestials is on the list, while Celestials are not.

In fact, a less useful BSA Dragon (Shallow Walkers with Splash) is on the list, while the largely more useful Trios, Celestials, and Bolts dragons or equally cosmetic Aegis Dragons are not on the list.

So, I'm suggesting the list should be updated.

Now, if we do get separate or adjustable BSA filters like others suggested, that would solve some of the current issues with adding more dragons to the "Available for BSA" list ( which is mainly overwhelming the list with other less used BSA dragons.)

- Maybe we could have something on the Account page that allows you to choose what BSA shows up on the "Available for BSA" Filter.

On a side note, I still don't think Celestials should be labeled cosmetic. That makes it sound like the Celestials' BSA, Coporealize, is purely for aesthetics when the BSA allows you to actually do stuff with the dragon. I also don't agree with Expunge being "deadly." It does remove a dragon from your scroll, but the dragon is technically already dead, and is being allowed to pass on in peace. It's not killing or destroying anything on accident.

- I would argue that the Soulpeace's Expunge is more cosmetic than Coporealize, because you'd only use Expunge for clearing Zombies off your scroll. And you only ever get zombies if you purposely kill and revive a dragon. Usually, you want to keep a Zombie if it took such effort to make it. In contrast, you cannot do anything to a Celestial (Breed, Kill, Release) outside of Name and Describe them without using Coporealize.

Maybe the list should be like this?

"Available for BSA - Basic": Corporealize, Fertility, Incubate, Influence, Teleport

"Available for BSA - Advanced": Bite, Earthquake, Expunge, Stun, Summon

"Available for BSA - Cosmetic": Enrage/Pacify, Splash

- Where Advanced BSAs are BSAs with high risk, used rarely, or used under special circumstances

- Where Cosmetic BSAs are BSAs that changes the appearance of the scroll or dragons, or are "for fun/joke" BSAs

------

Edit: Bolts are now added to the "Available for BSA" Filter!

Edited by Shokomon

I really do not want celestials mixed in with my useful BSAs. I routinely utilize influence/incubate. Right now, it's frustrating that feesh cover those since I have so many, their cooldown is so short, and while I still splash, their BSA is not exactly useful. I do get the reasoning behind corporealize not being simply cosmetic, but the extent of my use for it is going to be so I can breed right after - something I am not going to be doing routinely. I would prefer celestials not be in the same category as reds/pinks. If their BSA let them do something besides simply be able to use regular actions with them (such as purples/greens/vamps do), then I would not argue their placement. But as utilizing corporealize is mostly useful for using celestials themselves, I'd prefer them in a different section/a section with less dragons in it already.

I really do not want celestials mixed in with my useful BSAs. I routinely utilize influence/incubate. Right now, it's frustrating that feesh cover those since I have so many, their cooldown is so short, and while I still splash, their BSA is not exactly useful. I do get the reasoning behind corporealize not being simply cosmetic, but the extent of my use for it is going to be so I can breed right after - something I am not going to be doing routinely. I would prefer celestials not be in the same category as reds/pinks. If their BSA let them do something besides simply be able to use regular actions with them (such as purples/greens/vamps do), then I would not argue their placement. But as utilizing corporealize is mostly useful for using celestials themselves, I'd prefer them in a different section/a section with less dragons in it already.

Hmmm... Then maybe change the name from "Cosmetic" to "Optional" or "Limited" because of how useful they are?

- Where Advanced BSAs are BSAs with high risk or used under special circumstances

- Where Limited BSAs are BSAs with fairly low and specific usage, that changes the appearance of the scroll or dragons, or are "for fun/joke" BSAs

Why not have a "choose" filter so that it only shows the ones we want to see ?

Hmmm... Then maybe change the name from "Cosmetic" to "Optional" or "Limited" because of how useful they are?

This sounds fantastic to me - thanks!

Personally, I don't need this. I know quite well where I need to look for which BSA, although I must admit that the bolts kind of mess with things right now. smile.gif

Page 1 (at 100 dragons per page): nothing I need. (Stun, maybe)

Page 2, bottom: Inluence

Page 3, top: a couple of Influences, then Fertility.

Page 4: The last few Fertilities, then Incubate.

Page 5: Bite.

For Teleports, I go to Account => Active Transfers, and find them easily.

Personally, I have no use for Earthquake (too dangerous), Summon (already have 3 GoN), Splash (I've got my Magikarp badge - and 500 extra splashes. Believe it or not, the badge didn't evolve.), Expunge (no more zombies) or Enrage (I took the Aegis Oath). Corporealize might be of interest, once I go back to breeding.

What I would like for this, though, is to put both stunning breeds together (in breed sort, at least) - or sort BSAs by their name. (Bite, Corporealize, Earthquake, Enrage/Pacify, Expunge, Fertility, Incubate, Influence, Splash, Summon, Teleport. Did I miss any?)

Considering how often you need various BSAs, I'd even go so far as to not show Corporealize (you need to go to that dragon's action page anyway), Earthquake (how many people still use this?), Enrage/Pacify (those shouldn't be too hard to find, nor should there be too many of those), Expunge and Summon. Splash I'm not exactly sure about. Everyone who wants the badge needs to use it 100 times, so maybe Splash should be shown as long as there's no Magikarp badge on the player's scroll?

WELL - I note that they appear in the order you have them on your scroll - so until Bolts, and I suddenly decided they need to live elsewhere :xd.png - I had incubate at the top, then fertility then influence. Then teleport, then EQ and splash and bite are WAY down there. So - no, no problem.

Trios should NOT be added to the list, why increase the loading time by putting dozens or even hundreds of dragons on a page when as soon as you use one, they all disappear? Easier trick: keep one (1) member of the trio family near the top of your scroll to summon with until you get your set.

Also do not want to see soulpeace (still don't even understand why Expunge exists. It's so hard to make a zombie why would you want to get rid of it? boggles my mind) and Ageis and Celestials are cosmetic. Enrage/Pacify only changes the sprite. and as already been said, with Corplize you will have to go to the dragon's action page anyway because the only point is for breed-ability.

Actually I'd rather shorten the list of what shows up: Pinks, Purples, Reds, are necessary. Earthquake should be taken out, and possibly Bite. On the fence on Shallow Waters, I have my badge, but I like seeing them in there because it reminds me to use them and the silly joke makes me smile.

I wouldn't mind trios being added to the list, especially to the "main" section if the list is divided, as long as they stop appearing after the third successful summon (since after you have your third GoN, summon becomes worthless). Having all your trios pop into the same list as your incubates and influences would be a nice reminder that you can summon again. As it is, I often forget about it.

I would be okay with this suggestion ONLY if an option is applied to let me choose which BSA will display. It's frustrating as it is for me with tons and tons of vampires showing up for BSA that I never use and I specifically do not collect shallow water to avoid having them appear in my BSA list. Expunge is something someone will use extremely rarely, I believe a lot of people use enrage/pacify once on permanent basis so again - not widely and I absolutely do not want to sort through my 100s of trios since I don't even need them. Stun is different because although not everyone may use it, it is still used in similar nature of (and completely opposite to) incubate. I use stun at least once a week. I have never used earthquake either so I wouldn't miss it if it's taken off.

Edited by Amaterasu-sama

Actually I think customization is the best solution to this issue. It wouldn't be that hard to implement, to my knowledge, and it would allow people to all have what they want as far as the contents of the BSA list.